cross888

OPFOR too Futuristic?

Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?  

485 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?

• Yes they look way to SCIFI.
    • No they look fine.

I dont like the helmets, i always remove the helmet if i play Opfor, as it looks like im playing as an alien or spaceman... i do get its in the future, but its not that far into the future is it?... whats the thinking or idea behind these, are they based on current technology? anyway everything else is fine apart from the ant/alien helmets.

Edited by Katipo66

I feel that having the OPFOR an advanced enemy makes the game a lot more interesting. Are we also forgetting that there is likely to be many factions other than the current ones in the full release?

I think their uniforms do look a bit 'out there'.

To be honest, it's basically their helmets that I hate the most, the giant ant eyes for goggles they wear just look ridiculous! I doubt anything will change now though, so I know I'm going to have to accept them.

I feel that having the OPFOR an advanced enemy makes the game a lot more interesting. Are we also forgetting that there is likely to be many factions other than the current ones in the full release?

I'm not sure there will be 'many', there's blufor (US/NATO), Opfor (Iran) and Independents (Rebels/Smugglers), so that's three.

Everything looks fine except the helmets, which just look silly and prone to breaking. I'd like to at least see a more traditional option included for the custom mission makers.

Well we found a opfor model looks like an officer wearing just a gorka suit and when you add his load bearing vest and a normal helmet.

They look a lot better there not tech superior to nato or inferior they look the part.

SCFI Bug Helmets and the Heat suits there wearing under the Gorka looks ridiculous.

I don't mind the future aspect. And really enjoy how the infantry weapons feel and function despite the future setting. What gets me is how each side can be seen as a copy of the other. It's so balanced is weird and a bit bland imo. Do such different regimes have similar military doctrines now?

I'm with most of you here, I dislike the helmets, but I don't have any problem with the rest of the loadout, the guns seem decent for the iranian military, considering it's 20 years into the future. I think that as an alternative, they should have a helmet similiar, but a bit different from the nato forces, considering designs are always being adapted, and "borrowed" between armies as time goes on.

MICH%202002%20Helmet%20with%20NVG%20Mount%20ARC%20Rail%20(od)%201.jpg

Something like this?

My main concern about the OPFOR units are that there too futuristic they look like they've just walked of a drop ship not a landing craft.

Does any one else share my concern?

Personally I'd like to see a more conventional and unconventional enemy force much like arrowhead and arma 2

For example a para militarily force or criminal entity like the Taliban, and a professional force like the Russian Army or Takistani Regulars.

Please Vote on the Poll.

You just got used to something :D

Nothing says that OPFOR should be weaker than blufor !

Not a fan of the opfor gloves.

What's the purpose? They look stiff and hot.

if i look at US troops, they look actually more believable compared to iranian troops. I think they are rather more pour fantasy, compared to US troops, but i'm kinda got used to them now, when it'll be 2035 in reality, there will be everything different to what we can imagine today. Just look at some sci-fi movies from 50's/60's, showing year 2000 and beyond, it mostly didn't look all to close anyway. ;)

---------- Post added at 03:58 ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 ----------

Maybe something like this for OPFOR?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7117/7631777986_e3266ec563_z.jpg (114 kB)

lol whut?

Yeah its not that the iranians are too futurisitc its that the UN is too unfuturistic!

if i look at US troops, they look actually more believable compared to iranian troops. I think they are rather more pour fantasy, compared to US troops, but i'm kinda got used to them now, when it'll be 2035 in reality, there will be everything different to what we can imagine today. Just look at some sci-fi movies from 50's/60's, showing year 2000 and beyond, it mostly didn't look all to close anyway. ;)

---------- Post added at 03:58 ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 ----------

lol whut?

they aren't futuristic enough!

I'm with most of you here, I dislike the helmets, but I don't have any problem with the rest of the loadout, the guns seem decent for the iranian military, considering it's 20 years into the future. I think that as an alternative, they should have a helmet similiar, but a bit different from the nato forces, considering designs are always being adapted, and "borrowed" between armies as time goes on.

http://www.egoairsoft.com/images/MICH%202002%20Helmet%20with%20NVG%20Mount%20ARC%20Rail%20(od)%201.jpg

Something like this?

1) Those weapons ARE Iranian, and are in existance NOW. So, they aren't decent for the Iranians. They are Iranian. 2) Why would they be using a helmet that's basically the same as the one BLUFOR already use ingame?

The point of the Iranian helmet is that it's an integrated helmet with a HUD. Kinda like a pilot helmet, but for infantry. That's already being worked on now. Just look up Objective Force Warrior helmet.

@antoineflemming I don't suppose I could trouble you for a source?

Seeing as the Opfor in arma are a military fighting force from a major country and not insurgents of a third world country (we will use arma2's takistan as an example), I say they look fine, the game is supposed to take place around 2035 after all so it would make sense for the standards on military equipment to appear more advanced. But this does not mean their gear is super advanced however... If you take a close look, the katiba carbine is the Kahbar KH-2002 assault rife, which has been around since 2004.

Image of current Iranian military weapons: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_80_yaznP3lM/TRiU-gq9UCI/AAAAAAAABLM/NEo6KCYmdBI/s1600/Khaybar+KH2002.3.jpg

Wiki page for the Kahbar assault rifle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KH-2002

Wiki page for current equipment of the Iran army: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_Iranian_Army

Edited by mdgrim

@antoineflemming I don't suppose I could trouble you for a source?

And for the hud stuff, found this the other day.

http://www.gizmag.com/future-soldier-rheinmetall-gladius/26271/

And the suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Force_Warrior#Microclimate_Cooling_System

"The Microclimate Cooling System, built into the Life Critical Layer, would have been a network of narrow tubing to provide heating or cooling to the soldier, up to 100 watts.

^ They hoped to have that in 2032. BIS is keeping it close to the books i say.

Power Subsystem

The Power Subsystem, built into the Power Centric Layer, would be fed by the Duration Central, a 2 to 20 watt Micro Turbine fueled by a liquid hydrocarbon fuel pack. According to the concept, ten ounces of fuel would power the soldier's integrated electronics ensemble for up to 6 days. Polymeric nanofiber battery patches embedded in the headgear and weapon provide back-up power for three hours.

Listed under the Power Vision in the Advanced Technology Demonstrator, the current specifications ask for 24-hour autonomous individual operation and 72-hour continuous autonomous team operations, with a high density, low weight/volume, self-generating/re-generating, reliable, safe power source."

Edited by Zacho

Looks good to me, I only use them as targets:p

I don't think they're really too futuristic. A lot of the tech is within realms of possible, and if you can imagine a world in 2035 with Iran as a force capable of challenging NATO, you can (or rather, have to) imagine all that gear.

They look slightly designed to me, then again Ifrit looks that way too even though it's real. A lot of military equipment is designed from functional standpoint only, and aesthetics aren't a consideration - that philosophy brings some truly unique forms that you almost couldn't design.. In any case I don't want anything changed, there's far more important things to do for BI than starting to redesign the OPFOR.

I'll agree with D34 -- after all, it's clearly a case of "we'll make the background story whatever we want it to be to justify these outfits."

But as someone else already said, the problem seems to be not that they look too futuristic, but that some people think they look silly. Specifically their helmets. I personally quite like them but I get why others don't - they do look odd. Maybe if their HUD was displayed via some sort of integrated goggles rather than those eyepieces, which create the 'bug' look and also seem like they'd be prone to breaking as someone else noted.

Something like this maybe:

a3opforhelmet_zps6089aa7b.jpg

But even if BIS did change the OPFOR helmet, I hope they'd leave the old one in, I still quite like it.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Actually the looks like bees, with those helmets and glasses

Maybe yep, for this region they looks a little too futuristic. For such advancements OPFOR need to be much "bigger empire". And current OPFOR uniforme maybe seems more match for cypress marshes area, than under blazing Sun. But, probably, it is only visual discrepancy with the point of view from nowadays.

However 20 years still 20 years, and without such advancements they can't attack Nato on Nato territory, imho.

It is also necessary to distinguish one side from another visually. This isn't game with FF off.