cross888

OPFOR too Futuristic?

Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?  

485 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?

• Yes they look way to SCIFI.
    • No they look fine.

My main concern about the OPFOR units are that there too futuristic they look like they've just walked of a drop ship not a landing craft.

Does any one else share my concern?

Personally I'd like to see a more conventional and unconventional enemy force much like arrowhead and arma 2

For example a para militarily force or criminal entity like the Taliban, and a professional force like the Russian Army or Takistani Regulars.

Please Vote on the Poll.

I voted no but I agree that some unconventional enemy force could be fun. I always liked to play as the underdog in MP

It's okay for me; per example their armored car (Ifrit i think ?) already exists, it's the ZIL Punisher;

punisher3.jpg

Personally, I think they look fine. I consider Opfor at this point to be on a level playing field with Blufor, and to some, it's a bad thing, but to others like me, I think it's a refreshing new challenge for gameplay sake. I'm sure they'll be some sort of Independent Guerilla force coming in either the Beta or Full game. Just wait and see.

The OPFOR does look too futuristic. It ends up being like an 1980's action film set on mars, it looks too futuristic and too far from actual reality (keeping in mind that in a space of 20 years, things will change progressively in military design, not abruptly). I agree with Cross, an insurgent OPFOR group that drive pickups and wield AKs as an alternative or additional opfor force would be great in my point of view.

Guys we're in 2035 and blue are fighting against Iran.. I personally do not look for turban guys to kill..

I don't like their helmets, other than that, np.

I don't believe what cross is trying to say is that he want's some futuristic Taliban running around in rags. He's saying in perspective to the Blufor; who look relatively conceivable; the opfor look like they've just wandered out of the death star, with ridiculous bubble helmets, and those neck braces that look like their made out of nano fibre, that goes for the gloves as well. Other than that, their vehicles and weapons look to be developed overtime and foreseeable in the near future.

you have to remember this is the future, this is all based on what could be. the military doesn't hire fashion designers to design their gear and other weapon systems, they are meant to be functional. this is just the reality of warfare. look whats happening with new jet concepts, they are loosing the curves in favor of sharp angle for minimum radar detection. yes some might say they look ugly but they are functional, they actually stand a chance against modern AA weapons.

OPFOR stands for Opposing force, whoever they may be, not always guerrilla fighters with old gen weapons. america cant always be the ones with the hi-tech gear

ridiculous bubble helmets, and those neck braces that look like their made out of nano fibre, that goes for the gloves as well. Other than that, their vehicles and weapons look to be developed overtime and foreseeable in the near future.

The vehicles and weapons used by the OPFOR do exist, and apart from the ifrit i have no problem with those. My concern is precisely the soldiers, they use equipment that just looks too futuristic in my point of view.

I personally wasn't talking about the Taliban in my previous post. Around the world, pickup trucks and AKs are insurgents, freedom fighters and even drug cartels favorite tools to fight wars. Having an unconventional force would be a great supplement for arma 3.

I don't believe what cross is trying to say is that he want's some futuristic Taliban running around in rags. He's saying in perspective to the Blufor; who look relatively conceivable; the opfor look like they've just wandered out of the death star, with ridiculous bubble helmets, and those neck braces that look like their made out of nano fibre, that goes for the gloves as well. Other than that, their vehicles and weapons look to be developed overtime and foreseeable in the near future.

yeah they basically look like ^&%$, not believable for 2030s imo. more like 2100s.

There is always a 3rd force in the game which is usually "resistance" style. and if there isn't, someone will mod one.

There is always a 3rd force in the game which is usually "resistance" style. and if there isn't, someone will mod one.

Mods are fine and all, but the problem with user-made mods is you can't just hop in a server and use them unless it's a very popular mod. Maybe DLC will include some irregular forces with older equipment for use online.

I think it's a refreshing new challenge for gameplay sake.

This. Yes you have to suspend belief, somewhat, but it should make for an interesting campaign.

Operation Arrowhead was such a disappointment in regards to gameplay balance as the only way to (really) counter BLUFOR as OPFOR was - essentially - numbers.

I voted the "Yes they look way to SCIFI."-option, though it's only really true for the OPFOR-infantry. BLUFOR looks mostly fine, to me.

you have to remember this is the future, this is all based on what could be. the military doesn't hire fashion designers to design their gear and other weapon systems, they are meant to be functional. this is just the reality of warfare. look whats happening with new jet concepts, they are loosing the curves in favor of sharp angle for minimum radar detection. yes some might say they look ugly but they are functional, they actually stand a chance against modern AA weapons.

OPFOR stands for Opposing force, whoever they may be, not always guerrilla fighters with old gen weapons. america cant always be the ones with the hi-tech gear

Bluefor is Nato, very much as the war on terror is a Nato operation. And the campaign will focus on the British special soldier, Cpt. Scott Miller.

While the helmets do like kinda funny (especially in the first images we saw of them) I'm fine with them. For your want of a guerilla in rags, the Independant Greek resistance will meet your needs. If you want pro soldiers (if you don't count ex-Greek military resistance) there should be German KSK wearing rags.

I understand where your coming from, but by the looks of it the Opfor are using fashion designers. Those neck braces are less than practical, they would hinder movement and cause irritation around the throat. The helmets are bulky, you'd be banging them left, right and center. Whereas the Blufor have kit that has quite obviously evolved from modern in use equipment and turned into a streamlined version of what exists, e.g. The MXC and MX seem to be futuristic versions of the ACR, the helmets in use both light role and standard are also in use/production today. The opfor are based on the iranians by the way. The Blufor campaign rotates around the British. Nobody want's "America to have the high tech gear", in fact I was thrilled when the AI had learned to react to effective enemy fire. However as an ArmA player I don't want my experience ruined when darth vader comes strolling over the hill with his posse of storm troopers. I understand that it's Alpha, I'm not asking for a dumbed down, low tech opfor. Just something that's conceivable, I want the challenge of professionally trained soldiers. Except "These are not the uniforms your looking for". http://25.media.tumblr.com/8626c175aa62aa3bc5e0332c85188cc1/tumblr_mj6gufvKVC1qet17vo1_500.gif

---------- Post added at 04:05 ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 ----------

The majority of the people who actually like the new oprfor units, just like them because they look "cool". I want a unit to look practical. And ffs bohemia get rid of the god damn gorilla arm walk/jog, it's atrocious. It's as though everyone's got a bad rash in their armpit. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Invisible%20Lat%20Syndrome

Only thing that bugs me is the M-ATV or what they call the hunter, Im curious why they used hunter instead of its proper name (M-ATV) also wish they fix the sound of the m-atv those trucks are loud and the interior needs some moving around also, but granted in 20 some years they might have changed those details.

I'm actually happy that BIS made OPFOR equal to BLUFOR in terms of tech advancements. Finally it feels like playing OFP again instead of bullying another durkastan