Sign in to follow this  
Niklas

We need to talk about grenades.

First off, i greatly enjoy the Alpha so far, i love the new fluid movement, everything feels much faster, but still like an ArmA game, i like it. Grenades though are a massive problem as off right now.

Today we had an about 40 TVT on UO.net. Blufor was defending a camp, while opfor was attacking. All short we got massivly flanked and opfor stacked on the walls with a squad and started throwing grenades. There were so many explosions that i thought that they had a hidden vehicle, but no, it was the normal stock grenades, which appear to be not only thrown without preperation, but also without time delay, you can literally spam grenades faster than in Battlefield and just clear a compound if you got enough on you. This really needs tweaking , i really don't like the fixed grenade throwing in ArmA 2, but the current system is just to exploitable.

Perhaps a cooldown or "reload" timer would help with that.

How many gernades can you carry and how quickly can you throw them in RL?

Game balance for the sake of game balance isn't cool in a game trying to more realistic. 20 guys throwing multiple grenades would be quite powerful in real life as well.

I urge anyone to go ingame and just hit your grenade key as fast as you can throw them, this is not about game balance, but a completly broken and unrealistic system.

huh, in 1 or 2 seconds I threw my 2 HE and 2 smoke grenades.

I could probably do that irl but I wouldn't be nearly as centered every time.

Edited by NodUnit

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147659-The-Grenade-Thread

+

http://www.gamespot.com/features/arma-iii-the-alpha-and-the-omega-6404819/

"One good example is the way we handle throwing grenades in the ARMA III alpha," Crowe continues. "The feature isn't complete, and in its current state, I think it's a bit too simplistic. You press a key, the grenade is tossed, whatever animation state you're in. I think that's a legitimate example of where we haven't quite yet hit the right balance. Of course, it's a big improvement over ARMA II's turgid system. I basically didn't use grenades before, and now I do, so that's progress! It's more instinctive and usable, which is why we've left this WIP feature in the public build. However, for me, it's probably now too easy. There's not enough depth of control: you can't cook the grenade or manipulate the flight in any truly meaningful way."

Crowe's ultimate hope for grenade handling is to make it fluid and natural--but also to make sure it's simulated in an appropriate way. He's also conscious of how the modding community might further adjust that mechanic, and other ones as well. "This same through-process can be applied to a whole range of new or refined features," he says. "Is it useful? Is it appropriate? Are the community going to try to hijack it?"

^Smurf's got it. Once again, it's an Alpha and as Jay Crowe said in the interview, the feature is nowhere near being complete. He's even admitted it's a little stupid but I'm sure that with time, it will be fixed in a very balanced and practical way.

Dont fret guys it wont make it into full release yeah its even worse than COD's grenade tossing mechanics.

Wow, a Delay does need to be added so it is more realistic.

Hmm..or a major dispersion..when you think about it, you're perfectly capable of lobbing grenades quickly, but how well can you lob the previous EXACTLY where the first went instantly after the previous?

Edited by NodUnit

I like the grenades on a dedicated key press vs having to cycle to them.

The best system I think would be the grenade key is a toggle. Hit 'g' or whatever and you drop weapon on its sling and ready a grenade. You can then use the shoot key to toss the grenade, hold to cook, etc. while in the gernade state you can use the normal cycle weapon command to cycle your gernade inventory. Hit 'g' to toggle back to your weapon. This way you have the realistic delay of having to sling you rifle or holster your sidearm to switch to grenades, then throw them as fast as you can in RL if you wish and then toggle back to your firearm.

Posts about the alpha need to go in the alpha section.

Bug reports should probably be made on the bug tracker.

Please search before posting a new thread. There are already many threads about grenades.

Closing. Please continue the conversation in one of the grenade threads in the alpha section :)

Here is the latest one:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148007-Grenade-system

I guess I could throw grenades quite quickly IF they were all prepared. But how much time between each grenade if they are in pouches/pockets? Not only do you have to pull the pin, you also have to get it out of your pocket/pouch. Yes, we can all agree on that this system needs tweaking.

I would like to see some more time readying the grenade before I can throw it. It cant only be about reload time, it should also be a delay before you can throw the first grenade.

huh, in 1 or 2 seconds I threw my 2 HE and 2 smoke grenades.

I could probably do that irl but I wouldn't be nearly as centered every time.

no you couldn't. you've never used a grenade in your life.