Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

Diving Mod idea - ACE implementation?

Hey Guys

I'm sure a lot of you are qualified PADI divers like myself and are very excited to see diving in Arma 3. Having tested out the underwater environment rigorously I must say I am impressed, it seems to be an improvement even over the previous diving showcases from E3.

My brief dive video (for those yet to try it)

I was thinking a great mod project (or incorporate into ACE for A3) would be to create accurate dive modelling. At the moment the sound effects and visuals are great and fairly accurate but I'd like to see the following;

• Working pressure/depth gauges and dive computer to replace the 'O' watch.
  • Blood Nitrogen modeling - go too deep for too long and die, come up to fast you die
  • Come up too fast and your lungs explode - die
  • Colour disappearing at depth (like IRL) - doesn't seem to at the moment
  • Buoyancy control, and changes in buoyancy throughout the breath cycle
  • The divers seem to have some futuristic rebreather with only a backpack and no Air tank - maybe model a traditional air tank and have an air gauge - one that uses more air at greater depths like IRL
  • Not sure if the sound is directional underwater (but it shouldn't be) - it should be almost impossible to determine directional sound
  • Underwater torches for night and deep dives. Based on the above ground night lighting system this could be epic!!
  • Physical diving maps like Cenotes or wrecks.

There has to be people keen on this - it would create a whole meta game.

Approving the idea, makes things more realistic, and gives Diving this little 'extra' thing.

Would seriously improve Special Forces! I'm really liking this diving thing also and I think ACE3 could take it a long way if what you mentioned above were to be implemented.

Perhaps the part about going too deep shouldn't be implemented - not on the grounds of realism however on the grounds of playability. Not everyone wants that kind of a system in the game, however some kind of ACDS or Advanced Combat Dive System might be better for these changes. Just a suggestion :)

Is the air tank not strapped to their chest?

I hope someone implements a fully realistic diving experience for Arma3. Would be fantastic.

Perhaps the part about going too deep shouldn't be implemented - not on the grounds of realism however on the grounds of playability. Not everyone wants that kind of a system in the game, however some kind of ACDS or Advanced Combat Dive System might be better for these changes. Just a suggestion :)

Its okay to go deep (how do you think Navy Divers and Industrial Diver do what they do) but you need to know what to do (i.e. Nitrox) and you need to surface slowly to allow the Nitrogen in your body to safely dissipat and prevent it bubbling into your blood ;)

And we are talking 30 - 80m as deep. Most dives would be less than 30m I would say

Sproyd: The rebreather in Arma 3 is based conceptually off of systems like the LAR-V, which the Navy Seals use. Everything on the LAR-V is mounted on your front, which makes it possible for SEALs to haul a gear bag on their backs.

Observe the LAR-V, in both the original and Mk.2 form:

dive-LAV-compare-1.JPG

You can sea how the whole thing would hang on your chest and stomach.

Thanks for posting that ^^ interesting and of course it makes sense because that is the whole point of a rebreather - so you don't need a tank. Although having a big gear bag on your back would create massive drag.

More so, about not having bubbles not having some where to put gear. They are used for shallow water infil type situations. Its the military if they want you to carry gear they will find a way oxygen tanks on your back or not...

I'm actually releasing something very very shortly. If only I didn't have to work tonight. Grrrrrrrr.

Details will be very similar to my A2 Underwater Diving Module I've been working on...

-7 dive gasses

-open and closed circuits modeled

-pressure/gas medical effects (Nitro Narc, Oxytox, DCS)

-pressure effects on open circuit breathing time remaining

-dive computer

-buddy breathing

-more...

I wanted to release something on Sunday but then I realized how to do buddy breathing which I mostly finished last night. I'll post a thread tonight with video and details.

Edited by Feint

Thanks for posting that ^^ interesting and of course it makes sense because that is the whole point of a rebreather - so you don't need a tank. Although having a big gear bag on your back would create massive drag.

you know what'd be more of a drag? getting to the objective and finding out you don't have the equipment to complete your mission.

I'm actually releasing something very very shortly. If only I didn't have to work tonight. Grrrrrrrr.

Details will be very similar to my A2 Underwater Diving Module I've been working on...

-7 dive gasses

-open and closed circuits modeled

-pressure/gas medical effects (Nitro Narc, Oxytox, DCS)

-pressure effects on open circuit breathing time remaining

-dive computer

-buddy breathing

-more...

I wanted to release something on Sunday but then I realized how to do buddy breathing which I mostly finished last night. I'll post a thread tonight with video and details.

thanks Feint. Your work deserves to be in the brighter, bluer and more fishy Arma 3 sea anyhow. :)

Please use the addon request thread sticky to post your mod ideas. :)