Sign in to follow this  
BadHabitz

ARMA3 Naval Question

Hi. I've been on the fence about buying ARMA3 at this stage. For some reason I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but something unknown is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I've got a question that I couldn't find the answer for, so I thought I'd post a quick thread. Please don't crucify me if I missed this info elsewhere. Please feel free to move this if I placed it in the wrong area.

Will there be any naval assets other than small boats? I know the game is centered towards infantry, but I think that not having NGFS (naval gunfire support) and directed fire from naval assets off the coast is a missed opportunity to enhance the combined arms aspect of ARMA. It would be nice to have quality aircraft carriers and marine amphibious ships. I also think it would be cool to have other operable ships that could provide AAW support with CIWS and SAMs. Not saying you'd need a crew for the ship, but one person operating radar and weaponry in support of an amphibious landing would be amazing.

Having an AWACS as C&C would be a good idea too.

Bonus question: Is there going to be parachuting? Ability for HALO drops?

i feel you on the naval support but the arma series is already CPU intensive enough and i fear adding something that large to the CPU would certainly cripple a few machines out there that currently can run the game...

as for parachuting and HALO, yes... this has been a long standing feature for the ARMA series

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

i feel you on the naval support but the arma series is already CPU intensive enough and i fear adding something that large to the CPU would certainly cripple a few machines out there that currently can run the game...

as for parachuting and HALO, yes... this has been a long standing feature for the ARMA series

Hi. I've been on the fence about buying ARMA3 at this stage. For some reason I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but something unknown is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I've got a question that I couldn't find the answer for, so I thought I'd post a quick thread. Please don't crucify me if I missed this info elsewhere. Please feel free to move this if I placed it in the wrong area.

Will there be any naval assets other than small boats? I know the game is centered towards infantry, but I think that not having NGFS (naval gunfire support) and directed fire from naval assets off the coast is a missed opportunity to enhance the combined arms aspect of ARMA. It would be nice to have quality aircraft carriers and marine amphibious ships. I also think it would be cool to have other operable ships that could provide AAW support with CIWS and SAMs. Not saying you'd need a crew for the ship, but one person operating radar and weaponry in support of an amphibious landing would be amazing.

this is a great question, the presence of larger maritime assets would throw up some *very* interesting mission opportunities....not to mention the awesome power of naval gunnery!. I'm sure that some of the modding community are already dreaming up some of these things

however as pointed out, the addition or these objects will likely incur a performance hit. we'll just have to wait and see i think :)

Sofar that i have seen. There aren't any large naval surface assets in ArmA 3. The large British submarine is a static prop to be used as a scuba platform. Being ArmA 3 is focus on the Army, Air force, Special Operations side of warfare. Very few people in the community wish to have it any other way. For you see most countries ether have small navies are none at all. So most of the players have no idea of what modern navies do. You have a concept problem. Me being from the United States, knowing that the navy plays a big role in the countries warfare scheme. I have a holistic view of warfare that includes the Navy, and Marine Corps (Sea Infantry). But due to most people resistance for including navy assets. And BIS trying to figure out how to make large naval assets work properly in the gaming side of the platform. It will take a very high demand for large naval assets to be added to this platform. But due to demand in VBS 2.0 for working maritime platforms. The submarines can navigate through the water. But there's and issues with the weapontry. The up side here is modeling. You can model large naval ships, and submarines for add-ons. But to have them navigate you would have to know object coding/programming. In this way you can have the object function as close as possible to the real world object.

Sofar as parachuting goes. Yes, this feature has been available sense ArmA 2. Static, HALO and LALO.

Edited by ScorpionGuard

I don't know jack about modding or much about PhysX, but would PhysX pre-packaged vehicle physics allow for modders to add new vehicles (or should I say new types of vehicles) with less work?

I hope they add submarine vessels.
Does the Mk 8 SDV count considering that it's a submersible? That is to say, you've got the underwater movement and transportation but not the torpedoes.

There will be Addon-Makers that will make Aircraft Carriers and other Naval Ships like Battleships, Destroyers, Submarines, etc.

Best part is that we may be able to walk around on the deck of the ships without sliding into the water with the new features **I THINK**

You and me, my friend, are both hoping for this.

Gnat made a naval frigate pack for ArmA 2 back when water was very bland and not as useful.

Addon makers are always coming up with neat new stuff. I don't doubt that someone will attempt this mod.

I would gladly help if someone did decide to take it up. Naval mounted gun-fired or missile/rocket-fired artillery would be awesomeee!

Plus the possibility of ship-to-ship combat and submarine torpedoes (if possible) and even aircraft carriers! Aircraft carriers were also in ArmA 2 and worked quite well.

They might even be able to move with people walking around on top if PhysX will allow it!

Only time will tell though. It has only been 2 days but this is very exciting to think about.

Extra question: While I'm on the subject of biggg mods/addons.. does anyone know the max object size for A3 yet?

In ArmA 2 it was like 200m x 200m x 200m or something along the lines of that, am i correct?

Extra question: While I'm on the subject of biggg mods/addons.. does anyone know the max object size for A3 yet?

In ArmA 2 it was like 200m x 200m x 200m or something along the lines of that, am i correct?

If you are correct, than I propose we (modelers, code writers, and alike) should start planning to construct the Dangerous Waters Project which includes the Freedom Class Littoral Combat Ship, Virginia Class, Akula-III Class, Kilo Class Fast Attack Submarines, P-8A Poseidon, C-40 Clipper, MH-60R Seahawk, MQ-8 Fire Scout, and MQ-4C Triton. Modeling will be the easy part (the 3D models from Turbo Squid are perfect). Coding to get everything up and running is going to be a beast.

Also the Arleigh Burkr Class Destryer, and Ticonderoga Class Cruiser

Edited by ScorpionGuard

If you are correct, than I propose we (modelers, code writers, and alike) should start planning to construct the Dangerous Waters Project which includes the Freedom Class Littoral Combat Ship, Virginia Class, Akula-III Class, Kilo Class Fast Attack Submarines, P-8A Poseidon, C-40 Clipper, MH-60R Seahawk, MQ-8 Fire Scout, and MQ-4C Triton. Modeling will be the easy part (the 3D models from Turbo Squid are perfect). Coding to get everything up and running is going to be a beast.

Such a project would be a good opportunity to get new modders the chance to work with experienced modders to involved and experienced with ArmA modding.

God knows I could use it.. If someone decides to take this route PLEASE I beg of you, let me know.

Also the Arleigh Burkr Class Destryer, and Ticonderoga Class Cruiser

I know I'd be happy with at least having stationary ships that can be walked on. Ships that can serve as player start points and for aircraft. If that was all that could be done I'd be reasonably happy. The next step in my happiness would be to fit those ships with SAMs and big guns. If you could do all that and then make them controllable and able to move it would be perfect.

I know for me all I'd be able to lend to the project would be knowledge and research. My 10 years in the USN centered around knowing radar characteristics and combat capability of friendly and foreign ships/aircraft. I'm not much of a game creator on the PC.

I know I'd be happy with at least having stationary ships that can be walked on. Ships that can serve as player start points and for aircraft. If that was all that could be done I'd be reasonably happy. The next step in my happiness would be to fit those ships with SAMs and big guns. If you could do all that and then make them controllable and able to move it would be perfect.

I know for me all I'd be able to lend to the project would be knowledge and research. My 10 years in the USN centered around knowing radar characteristics and combat capability of friendly and foreign ships/aircraft. I'm not much of a game creator on the PC.

Like I said before, this is entire possible as it has already been done in ArmA 2. So there is very little stopping the creators from porting over or recreating what they did.

Gnat's frigate pack had a few drivable ships that I believe you could walk around when stationary and also had guns/missile launchers for ship-to-ship combat.

And JDog's USS Nimitz was stationary but had fully functional catapult launchers and tailhook cables.

Your knowledge would be very useful to the un-informed modder!

I actually have a question for him now that I think about it.. so I'll throw him a message and see if he has anything planned as well.

BadHabitz, spacenavy90 mentioned a bunch of what I was going to cite, such as Jdog's USS Nimitz or John_Spartan's porting of Franze's F/A-18 (albeit only -E and -F variants), YuraPetrov's Seahawks, Gnat's Kutznetsov and other surface warships, the San Antonio-class (LPD-29), the

... here too is JDog's HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08). Heck, have Gnat's submarine pack (Akula, Delta IV and Los Angeles classes) and Gnat's Sea Fighter (FSF-1).

Here's an example of what was possible in Arma 2 with the Nimitz, and

of Gnat's frigate pack in action! (Or at least, I believe that the second video is Gnat's pack.)

I would also note that Mando Missile ArmA (which includes the former "Mando Gun" mod) is basically the standard for Arma 2 "realism in electronic warfare/weapons guidance" and has been demonstrated for Arma 2/OA with ships (i.e. the Phalanx, the AK-630 and the Sea Sparrow pack, which the HMS Queen Elizabeth add-on requires) but I haven't heard or seen anything out of Mandoble since late 2011.

A large ship would be nice for boat boarding and clearing missions would be interesting. Especially with the current pirating going on today and the multinational navy response to it.