Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Frogman

Metric System Option

I've been playing the ArmA series for sometime now, and if you live in the United States, like me, then it would be easier to have an option to change to the Imperial System, MPH and Feet, etc instead of KM/H and Meters. Just thought there should be an option to change between those. Anyone else think so?

Edited by Mr. Frogman

would be unauthentic because meters at least are NATO standard for land combat and army aviation...and when you use meters anyway, km/h makes a lot of sense. The US military also uses the 24h day as we do in zulu and alpha zone because it's NATO standard. And keep in mid this is a future game...by the speed the yard and MPH is disappaering (yes even the brits gave up on Inches in engineering) by 2035 it wil be all metric for sure.

Edited by Beagle

Actually, aviation standards for NATO is nautical miles and knots (only Russians use kilometers and km/h)...

Yay!

Being in the UK and having gone through school (many, many years ago) with imperial sizes, weights etc. Then having to move over to metric later on after school, well it was a real pain. Still, know both now so can’t complain I suppose.

But yes your right, there should be a switch over provided in-game..;)

Actually, aviation standards for NATO is nautical miles and knots (only Russians use kilometers and km/h)...

Yay!

I sat in post WW2 german army planes with Meter and Km/h dials and if you just meant Airplane measurements you could have said that in the beginning. Target ranges are still in meters no matter if you sit in a US Abrams or AH-64, a UK challenger or AH-1 or russsian T90 or Ka-50.

Oh dear god please no, purely because of how much confusion it could cause in multiplayer.

• Like 2

Oh dear god please no, purely because of how much confusion it could cause in multiplayer.
Only a problem in case you try to land on Mars
  • Like 1

Overtime, I've began to understand the meters, but the whole KM/H is a female dog. I can also see what you're saying about the multiplayer confusion, but there are people (like me) that spend 90% of their time in the editor, so it would help somewhat.

I sat in post WW2 german army planes with Meter and Km/h dials and if you just meant Airplane measurements you could have said that in the beginning. Target ranges are still in meters no matter if you sit in a US Abrams or AH-64, a UK challenger or AH-1 or russsian T90 or Ka-50.
What I meant is HUD and dials in modern days fighters and helicopters, as well as standards for altitude and speed: speed is always in knots, altitude in feet...

This is a real life F16 HUD, as you can see speed is 325 [knots], and altitude 26000 [feet]: http://www.f-16.net/attachments/aac.jpg

This is an Eurofighter HUD, again 293 [knots] and 31000 [feet], you can also see the distance to a markpoint in Nautical Miles (nm) in the lower right hand corner: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-otyTTCBMtIc/Tdz67MdzCvI/AAAAAAAAABg/MmQNwF6JbAE/s1600/hud.jpg

Yay!

Nobody argues about knots and Feet in aircraft flight displays but you did not point that out in your first post and the system in A3 is currently universal to all units...switch it and you have tanks showing knots for speed and feet for range.

Edited by Beagle

Yeah... not.

imperial-vs-si.png

If there is an option to change the whole thing like in racing games, why not?

• Like 2

The only thing I'd like is to be able to change vehicle speed to MPH. Why? Because being an American that's what my car shows and is what I'm familiar with. Other than that, it should remain the metric system.

• Like 1

Other games I've played that allowed you to switch units just resulted in confusion. Teammates calling out ranges in different units, the devs forgetting to switch all the units in descriptions, etc. I've always figured that it was easier to just get comfortable with Metric. Imperial sucks anyways. We fought a war to break free of those guys yet kept their antiquated units.

I think its fine that it isn't an option. I agree the metric system makes more sense to use in military environment (though I wouldn't rly mind the Imperial system either), a common system make up for easier cooperation and communication. If every person uses a diff system it get messy fast and everyone would end up having to use and be fluent in both. Even the US army uses a lot of the NATO standards like the 24h clock and often uses the metric system. 'Target, half a click, due NE' :)

Also note that the US government is always trying to promote and implement the Metric system over the Imperial, even if it's with limited success. But the metric system is the international recommended standard unit of measure just like english is the recommended International language and sure is the future.

About aviation, to each country its own. The country decides what measure system to use and on what plane/squadron (also given the recommended international standard). Pilots are familiar with both systems either way and often have to juggle between the two, no matter what country they're from. Usually, ppl that are familiar with both systems equally, prefer the metric system for its ease of use and remembering.

Nobody argues about knots and Feet in aircraft flight displays but you did not point that out in your first post and the system in A3 is currently universal to all units...switch it and you have tanks showing knots for speed and feet for range.
Probably a mixed usage would be more realistic, although less clear for most... I myself have no problem using them both, but still...
About aviation, to each country its own. The country decides what measure system to use and on what plane/squadron (also given the recommended international standard). Pilots are familiar with both systems either way and often have to juggle between the two, no matter what country they're from. Usually, ppl that are familiar with both systems equally, prefer the metric system for its ease of use and remembering.
Speaking of jets, I find the Imperial system to be a lot better (meaning more efficient) than the metric one...

For land warfare though, metric is the way I'd prefer to go...

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

Also many scope are using mil system now, which is a metric system.

Only a problem in case you try to land on Mars

Still feeling bad because of the destiny of your namesake? :rotfl:

Metric is better for most military applications. Especially cool stuff like estimating lateral distances usings mils.

1 mil @ 1000m = 1m laterally. Nice. Now you can range find with just your binos!

Actually, it exists a parameter to switch to imperial system in the config file. Didn't try though, as I live in Europe where such system is not used anyway :)

would be unauthentic because meters at least are NATO standard for land combat and army aviation...and when you use meters anyway, km/h makes a lot of sense. The US military also uses the 24h day as we do in zulu and alpha zone because it's NATO standard. And keep in mid this is a future game...by the speed the yard and MPH is disappaering (yes even the brits gave up on Inches in engineering) by 2035 it wil be all metric for sure.

I wouldn't care about that .. the game itself is not realistic ... so !

Actually, it exists a parameter to switch to imperial system in the config file. Didn't try though, as I live in Europe where such system is not used anyway :)

You forgot the britts.. But they drive on the left side of the road too so I guess they just want to be incompatible with the rest of Europe ;)

I still hate those who will switch to the confusing mess of crap known as the US Imperial system but...

Documents>Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles>User name>

Then open Username.Arma3alphaProfile in Notepad (++) and around line 120 there should be 'useImperialSystem=0;' change that to 'useImperialSystem=1;' and you should be rocking the retarded roller-coaster again.

As said earlier, even the U.S. military uses the Metric scale, to better improve cooperation with other NATO allies. However, an option for the Imperial/English units would be nice.