Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

How many underwater wrecks have you found ;)

I took a look at the other big wreck. This must be the one from the E3 showcase, it still has its stern. I wonder what kind of boat this is?

@Liquidpinky Nice Idea, night diving is awesome. It´s a shame that the Underwatergun can´t attach flashlights...

I'd rather have the flashlight on the head, as when your swimming you don't have your gun held up

I just would like to point out that we're getting shadows of the diver way beyond visible distance. I found out while I placed myself in editor and encountered the bug where when looking under certain angle you can see the ground / bottom of the sea.

I assumed it's not intended as there's no need for shadow casting at 20m or more underwater?

On topic - how deep underwater have you been yet? Probably the deepest I've been was about 45 seconds till I touched the bottom ;) (measured by ingame watches)

Only found the Osprey wreck at the end of runway so far, looking forward to a player made map of wrecks so I can kit up and go exploring them.

Only found the Osprey wreck at the end of runway so far, looking forward to a player made map of wrecks so I can kit up and go exploring them.

Found around 8 or nine wrecks so far, an underwater cave and some interesting rock formations you can swim under as well.

This scuba malarky could be stand alone it is that entertaining.

You can swim into most wrecks at some point as well, you can swim right into the Osprey from it's cargo door and out the side door.

I made a quick map with all the wrecks ive found so far.

divemap.jpg

I also made a quick vid of a night dive we did on each of the wreck types.

and lastly if you want the mission PBO just click here.

I hope they improve the diving, i'm a diver myself and I know its mainly a combat sim but some additional features such as air management, pressure simulation and a dive computer would be sweet.

Just thought I'd pop this out here:

SmqQ3T0o2yg

I'm heading out on a journey to find these wrecks, and document 'em. Might even work up some fictional backstory to their sinking.

I want a Great White shark like Jaws or the Megalodon in one of the caves that comes and eats you up when you go exploring or something...

Found all the same ones as andycolgan, like me I noticed he likes to map some of the more interesting rock formations as well.

there is also a shallow fishing boat wreck between the north coast and xinos to add to the list and another out from one of the coves with another rock formation to check out. ;)

I have the exact locations of 3 more wrecks.

http://imageshack.us/a/img831/9622/arma32013031918482144.jpg (144 kB)

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/7317/arma32013031919112610.jpg (106 kB)

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/5672/arma32013031919003670.jpg (121 kB)

and lastly, a comparison of the locations of the south-eastern V-22 and Fishing Boat Wrecks.

http://imageshack.us/a/img829/4223/arma32013031919113794.jpg (137 kB)

OK, since most have been found already I'll give the cords for the ones I know (but you'll have to investigate to see what they are)

16-27

16-28

51-70

68-56

49-26

44-23

29-05

14-47

22-11

17-35

25-60

You can find seven different underwater animals in the alpha right now. And yes, one of them is a catshark. :icon_twisted:

:butbut:

:butbut:

FYI I've rubbed the belly of a cat shark IRL off the coast of Belize and nothing could be less scary. They are pretty small and not really interested in eating you. The ones I've seen in Arma 3 are about right sized.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

for now I just chuck this in my characters init box:

Bluelight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_blue", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Bluelight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Yellowlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_yellow", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Yellowlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Greenlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_green", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Greenlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Redlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_red", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"];
Redlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];

Excellent code - just had a play and highly enjoyed it. As a diver I'm not entirely happy with the lighting situation during the day underwater (no losing light or colour at depth) but at night its awesome.

I changed your code - change all of the references from the word 'player' to the word 'this' and then copy/paste into init boxes on a few AI units, grouped to me as group leader. I tell them to stay at the surface - I dive to the sea floor then tell them to regroup - give it a go its pretty damn awesome!!

Also it means that when swimming around wrecks etc you have multiple light sources and its easier to keep your bearings.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

I want a Great White shark like Jaws or the Megalodon in one of the caves that comes and eats you up when you go exploring or something...

There are 0.2 great white shark deaths per year in the Mediterranean so not very likely mate!!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

I hope they improve the diving, i'm a diver myself and I know its mainly a combat sim but some additional features such as air management, pressure simulation and a dive computer would be sweet.

There are a few teams working on it - I advised one of them on a few bits and pieces and pointed them in the right direction as to information.

Air management I guess is not very important when you have a rebreather like our future divers. I'm not sure how practical rebreathers are at depth though. I think a dive computer with nitrogen modeling would be awesome - most importantly it would tell you depth and if you are ascending too quickly. I also really want to see accurate colour and light reproduction which I'd imagine may be difficult to code - or perhaps not. It would be cool to have a proper air tank and meter though you are right.

The only thing is that 40 minutes diving as you know goes a lot quicker than 40 minutes in game so I doubt worrying about air or bottom time would be a worry in-game like it is IRL.

Well I finally got time to really experiment with wreck diving and night diving. I unfortunately have no Arma buddies so got a team of AI together to add to realism and atmosphere and made a video!

I tried to do the descent realistically - i.e. descending with buoyancy for the first little bit (Z key) then slowly swimming down to the bottom. Note that the ascent is obviously too rapid and the dive itself very short but gives a good demonstration. More info and download the mission in the description on YouTube

Edited by sproyd

Well I finally got time to really experiment with wreck diving and night diving. I unfortunately have no Arma buddies so got a team of AI together to add to realism and atmosphere and made a video!

I tried to do the descent realistically - i.e. descending with buoyancy for the first little bit (Z key) then slowly swimming down to the bottom. Note that the ascent is obviously too rapid and the dive itself very short but gives a good demonstration. More info and download the mission in the description on YouTube

youtube.com

I enjoyed watching this very much, no doubt thanks to the great choice of music :)

So nobody haven't seen any dolphins yet? :rolleyes:

So nobody haven't seen any dolphins yet? :rolleyes:

Oh right, we need Dolphins

(Yes there are Dolphins in the mediteranean, I swam beside one.)

Oh right, we need Dolphins

(Yes there are Dolphins in the mediteranean, I swam beside one.)

It's the Aegean Sea btw.

---------- Post added at 02:17 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

Octopuses / Octopi - whenever I swim in Greece it's what you see most of apart from fish.

And those damn black urchins :p All species found in the Aegean can be found here.

Would love to see some of these little things. As well as schools of fish.

bodrum_aquanaut109_scale.jpg

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

School_Salema_F This give an error saying "swarm not found" should work eventually though

Done some midnight diving now, attached the four different chem-lights to myself and it gives off a nice white light to dive with.

Going to set up a boat with dive lighting too for added fun.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131572577

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131572726

Might get round to making it as a proper addon, for now I just chuck this in my characters init box:

Bluelight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_blue", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Bluelight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Yellowlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_yellow", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Yellowlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Greenlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_green", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]; Greenlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];
Redlight=createVehicle ["Chemlight_red", [getpos player select 0,getpos player select 1,2], [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"];
Redlight attachTo [player, [0.12,0.06,-0.1], "LeftShoulder"];

No switch and is on all the time, you wont notice during daylight though.

You can also drop chem-lights from your inventory while underwater with the throw key to light areas up if you don't wont a light on you.

This not working for me now in latest Dev build :( Not sure if standard beta is the same?