Sign in to follow this  
ClichedBluefish

Arma 3 Alpha Blackscreens and Stops Responding on Launch

I just bought an downloaded the Arma 3 alpha from Steam. I know it's an alpha and all, but the game won't even start. I've tried re-installing it and re-launching it several times and it still won't start up no matter what I do, I just get a black screen and the application shows as not responding in task manager when I alt-tab out. I do not have ZoneAlarm. I've tried disabling all my firewalls, updating to Nvidia Beta Drivers, restarting my computer (a lot), re-installing the game 3 times, using the -winxp and -nobenchmark startup parameters, and running both the .exe and steam as administrator, but I still get the same problem, and there are also no Windows updates available. When the game starts up, I get a dark black screen, a second or two later it switches to a slightly less dark black screen and nothing happens even after waiting several minutes, and the application shows up at not responding when I alt tab out.

Here are my System Specs:

• CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz stable
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 680 FTW LE
  • MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LX
  • PSU: Corsair GS700

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to be able to play the Alpha.

I made a post explaining a bit about why people are getting blackscreen on launch. If you are running an application that attaches itself to the game, you will need to have it closed until you are on the main menu. This is strait from my post "The game is most likely blackscreen when a program is trying (and failing) to attach itself to the game at start up. Some example programs are Dxtory, Fraps, Trideff, ZoneAlarm, D3DOverrider". So if you have any programs that attach to the game in a similler manner as this, keep it closed until you are on the main menu

I have same problem and found a way around it. In fact once i start playing my screen saver will trip the game up. Either going black or exiting to desktop. I had to shut it off.

For some reason when the screen goes black, it because of a loading screen or whatever. It's still on but it doesn't come back on to where you can see anything. One way to get it back is to alt+tab to the desktop, then click back on to the game. You might need to do it a couple times. I think the loading screen comes on and if you alt tab and then come back while that screen is still on, it will be black still. So thats why you might need to do it a couple times.

The easiest way is to play in windowed mode. You won't get the black screen.

I remember seeing in another post that, at least when OCing your GPU, this happens because to the newest Nvidia driver.

I have the same issues, mostly when OCing but have no programs that I know of "attached" besides steam.