Frankdatank1218

The Fictional MX Rifle series, why?

I will note that the various factors keeping many weapons well past nominal expiration dates such as politics/lobbying bureaucratic infighting were evidently handwaved by BI for "rule of cool".

True.

However, I think it was Ivan who said that the MX was designed by a US based gun designer/smith.

On the real, who cares if it doesn't exist in real life? Aesthetically it looks like it might exist, isn't that enough?

Now? That rifle was made and abandoned 30 years ago.

Yes it was. Why are you agreeing with me, and yet I feel as though you think you are disagreeing with me?

Why does a weapon have to exist now for it to be fielded by NATO forces in 30years?

Because you said we have caseless ammunition now and pointed at a picture of a g-11, but the whole thing was dropped a long time ago. I guess when you say that we 'have it now', you mean that it was invented some time in the past.

Because you said we have caseless ammunition now and pointed at a picture of a g-11, but the whole thing was dropped a long time ago. I guess when you say that we 'have it now', you mean that it was invented some time in the past.

Yes. That was what I intended to imply.

I'm deviating from the topic of the MX rifles but I wonder if the resistance is going to have "old" weapons that they can use. I loved making missions that had a under/ragtag equipped squad. Ex. Lee-Enfields, m79s, M-60s, Tokarevs and IEDs.

And by 2035, I think the M16/M4 family will have been replaced as parts have worn out and turned out to be inadequate/too expensive/w/e. Maybe there´s political reasons, or something like that.

I wouldn't bet money on that if I were you. :p

I'm deviating from the topic of the MX rifles but I wonder if the resistance is going to have "old" weapons that they can use. I loved making missions that had a under/ragtag equipped squad. Ex. Lee-Enfields, m79s, M-60s, Tokarevs and IEDs.

I'm further deviating from the subject and answering your question :)

Royalty said that we are not fighting on a Greek island anymore. So if we were to go by the old faction description of the guerrillas, the indi's will be using ex "insert name of the new state Stratis and Altis are part of" military gear, however not Hellenic armed forces gear. So they could very well be using the Mk. 20 (FN 2000) or maybe the CTAR-20 series, due to the fact that the ArmAverse deviates from our universe.

I wouldn't bet money on that if I were you. :p

Probably not for the reasons he mentioned, but it's plausible given that Colt will likely lose the contract with the Army soon. This article talks about awarding that contract to Remington --

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/11/28/gao-denies-latest-colt-m4-protest-could-this-be-it/

The MX doesn't look too crazy a derivative of the ACR

the fictional series frees them of having to model real world accurate models of anything. Im glade they went in the future, scifi is the way to go, no place for WWI/II mods :D

Also most of the "real" weapons some times look pretty scifi, arma has at least the most real world like of the games out there. so at least we have that

THe MX series is the Robinson XCR, but with the fictional caseless ammo. The XCR is a Kalashnikov derivative, and it actually is one of the "Individual Carbine" entries, although I can't imagine it ever winning in real life as Robinson Arms is a small company owned by an actual person--they don't have the resources the provide six-figure salary "consulting" jobs for the generals in charge of the competition after they retire.

I don't think having the US military use XCRs is any more unrealistic than having them fighting Iran on a Greek island. Honestly, the caseless ammo as the standard service round strikes me as far more unrealistic. I could see Iran doing that as they're an independent country not tied to the US empire and its massive inertia.

Addendum: I noticed that the MX has a reciprocating charing handle, which the XCR doesn't have. No idea if that's an attempt to differentiate the MX from the real gun, or if whoever is in charge of game animations just didn't know.

I don't think having the US military use XCRs is any more unrealistic than having them fighting Iran on a Greek island. Honestly, the caseless ammo as the standard service round strikes me as far more unrealistic. I could see Iran doing that as they're an independent country not tied to the US empire and its massive inertia.

While I wouldn't be shocked if the US didn't adopt caseless ammo, if other NATO countries got on board it might happen.

Why not the XM8.:whistle:

:oops:

P.S: Its a joke.

Ha, were you around when BI gave the ION PMC's the (X)M-8? :D

BTW, BI , was the MX designed by CMMG?

Edited by Maio

Ha, where you around when BI gave the ION PMC's the (X)M-8? :D

BTW, BI , was the MX designed by CMMG?

Haha yes,thats why i posted it. :D

Its a nice weapon....but its out of scope...:(

From the little time I've had with the MX guns in A3 they seem just fine, if perhaps a little too effective compared to previous 5.56 and 7.62 rifles, very tight groupings and good stopping power.. just seems too good somehow - though I guess I'm spoiled by ACE.

As for introducing fictional guns, personally I'd probably prefer it if they'd stuck with "real" guns, at least then you have realistic metrics to simulate, but I guess it doesn't matter too much what they do in the campaign, doubtless there will be plenty of MP mods using current weaponry.

Hello there

I don't have an issue with these weapons as long as they are not too outlandish. Regardless, the possibility that we will be able to combine A2/OA with A3 though official methods (proposed) means we can have our tried and tested weapons, for those who just want the advantages the A3 engine brings.

Rgds

LoK

From the little time I've had with the MX guns in A3 they seem just fine, if perhaps a little too effective compared to previous 5.56 and 7.62 rifles, very tight groupings and good stopping power.. just seems too good somehow - though I guess I'm spoiled by ACE.
Yep, spoiled by ACE. :p

I would note that dimensionally the MX series caliber is 6.5 x 38 mm, which were it not for the whole "caseless" thing would be right in line with the dimensions of 6.5mm Grendel (case length is 38.7 mm) which was supposed to be yet another "better-than-5.56mm" round, while the MXM is listed as using 7.62 x 45 mm -- a post-WWII, pre-Warsaw Pact round.

The new 7.62 is the only thing that really bugs me...the present-day round is perfectly fine, why didn't they just make a caseless version of that instead of making a new one and converting thousands of M14 EBRs and others to it? Futhermore, the M134's on the AH-9s are still using cased 7.62x51mm NATO rounds.

MX and MXc should be replaced by carbine and full-length-barrel versions of the ARX160(except in 6.5 caliber, which it's compatible with in real life):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VpfOYB9NqPg/TUri3t2OD6I/AAAAAAAAAJk/Mq4YU1UAbAU/s1600/03-arx-160-carbine.jpg

The SAW variant of the MX should be replaced with a 6.5mm version of this, the LSAT:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/8d/LSAT.jpg/405px-LSAT.jpg

MX and MXc should be replaced by carbine and full-length-barrel versions of the ARX160(except in 6.5 caliber, which it's compatible with in real life):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VpfOYB9NqPg/TUri3t2OD6I/AAAAAAAAAJk/Mq4YU1UAbAU/s1600/03-arx-160-carbine.jpg

The SAW variant of the MX should be replaced with a 6.5mm version of this, the LSAT:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/8d/LSAT.jpg/405px-LSAT.jpg

Then better just to replace it with FN-2000, it already i a big box of a weapon...!! I am really happy with the MX, i feel the design is cool and good looking, and one day when somebody makes an addon for it in black it will be even better...