Sign in to follow this  
camper

Spanish little island invaded by marroc

A Spanish unit has stormed the island and taken it back. The operation started at 0620 in the morning and was performed by the "Spanish legion"(?), fighter aircrafts, helicopters and ships. Sex marockan soldiers were captured.

So those guys are now POW? Or are they going to be trialed in front of a mock military tribunal like the U.S. likes to do. tounge.gif

Dunno. I do wonder what happened to the other 6 guys (there were 12 soldiers on the island I think). They probably dove in and swam the entire 150 meter stretch to the homeland smile.gif

Anyway, I guess that's that. I doubt that Morocco is going to try to make a counterattack. wink.gif

The operation was performed by 28 members of the army special forces, but now the island is being held by the Legion. The 12 morrocan gendarmes that took the island 6 days ago were relieved yesterday by 6 marines, and that's why the government decided to retake the island. The guys are not pow's, they have been returned to Morroco. Nobody fired a single shot during the operation.

http://europe.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/07/17/spain.morocco/index.html

long.spanish.flag.ap.jpg

I would'nt be so cocky if I was Spain. Spain only spends $2Billion more than Morocco on defence, and Morocco could provide more men.

Well Britain was very cocky when that other small island was invaded, falklands wasnt it? biggrin.gif

Small islands seem to be so desirable these days, i really dont see what the fuss is about.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ July 17 2002,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Britain was very cocky when that other small island was invaded, falklands wasnt it?  biggrin.gif

Small islands seem to be so desirable these days, i really dont see what the fuss is about.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but Britain was and is a Powerhouse compared to Argentina. Morocco could pose a serous threat to Spanish territiory in northern Africa.

If war breaks out (unlikely), Morroco would be outgunned. Badly outgunned.

this conflict was turning into a eu(spain)- Marokko(arabian liga)or how do you ppl call that state conflict. i am afraid oil prices will raise again. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 17 2002,19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about NATO?<span id='postcolor'>

NATO and the European Union have supported Spain's claim, and urged diplomacy.

spain has retook the island from marroc. Marroco says it is a "Declaration of War"

Paratrooper, on your earlier comment about Britain being a powerhouse compared to Argentina, at the time Argentina had more men, more equipment, shorter supply lines etc. It wasnt quite as unbalanced as you seem to think it was.

Neither country would make any claims without outside support and motivation, as the sovereignty of the few "rocks" with no real value is yet to be determined.

Both sides made an agreement in the 60´s, stating that neither side shall occupy the island long-lasting with military forces.

It wasn´t spain but marroc which violated against this treaty in a provocing act, so it´s not their position to do any statements or even demands on the issue.

This whole thing is totally pathetic and absurd, looks to me just like a sorry reason to start a conflict.

I just don't see what the motive for Marocco would be since they are no match against Spain military wise. Probably some kind of internal political maneuvering in Marocco.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ July 17 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A Spanish unit has stormed the island and taken it back. The operation started at 0620 in the morning and was performed by the "Spanish legion"(?), fighter aircrafts, helicopters and ships. Sex marockan soldiers were captured.<span id='postcolor'>

what Morrocon soldiers?!?   biggrin.gif  there are Morrocon soldiers who specialize in sex?(male prostitution? act as gigolo?) tounge.gif

geeze Longinius, was that a Freudian slip?

joking Longinius... smile.gif

anyway, for those who are asking why such a small sland is soooooo important, here's an excerpt from above CNN link.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Spain believes Morocco was using Perejil to highlight other differences, such as fishing rights, illegal immigration and the Western Sahara, which was annexed by Morocco from Spain in the 1970s and where the United Nations has ruled a self-determination referendum should be held. <span id='postcolor'>

LOL Ralph, I didnt even see that one : )

The most likely reason is a plain old type, the swedish word for "six" is "sex" actually... : )

It could have been a Freudian slip though, and if it was, I probably wouldn't know

hehe! Eat this marrocans! tounge.gif

Now that the spanish retook their property the marrocans call it unjustice, what the hell do they call their own action then? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ July 17 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Paratrooper, on your earlier comment about Britain being a powerhouse compared to Argentina, at the time Argentina had more men, more equipment, shorter supply lines etc. It wasnt quite as unbalanced as you seem to think it was.<span id='postcolor'>

Britain had modern eqipment, the finest troops in the world and the RAF and RN's force moving power.

The Scots guards, Paras, Gurkahs, Royal Marines, SAS, and SBS wern't going to be out done by any Argies now were they? wink.gif