Sign in to follow this  
camper

Spanish little island invaded by marroc

Well, today, marroc's soldiers have invaded a Spanish Island called "Perejil Island", the fact is that this island is own Spain so marroc MUST leave it..

Do you think will be a "little" war? or marroc will leave the island?

mad.gif

I despise people mocking other people for some small error like a typing error or for someone not knowing English perfectly well.

It should be general knowledge that Spain and Morocco are neighbours; "Marroc" can not be anything else but Morocco.

Did you even consider the possibility that "Moroc" might be the Spanish name of Morocco and that this Spanish lad didn't know that word?

Stop being nasty.

EDIT: Camper, do you have any links to any news articles about that event?

I dont think they were being nasty or mocking him, Ex-Ronin.

They didnt flame him or call him names..they just asked where it was.

And since they are both Americans, and Americans generally have a hard time with their OWN geography, you cant blame them for not immediately thinking of Morroco.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 12 2002,04:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And since they are both Americans, and Americans generally have a hard time with their OWN geography, you cant blame them for not immediately thinking of Morroco.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmpf, you got a VERY good point there.

I think you are right and I will apologise smile.gif Sorry lads smile.gif

Honestly, I was not mocking anyone. On the contrary, I was assuming he spelled it right, and had never heard of 'Marroc'.

At the turn of the century, America and Spain went to war, and we are nowhere near neighbors. The same during the Falklands war. Argentina and Britain are not neighbors, yet they went to war. I meant no offense, I just have never heard of Marroc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ July 12 2002,04:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">smile.gif Sorry lads smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gif Sorry lads smile.gif

Damn Ex-Ronin chill. I seriously though Marroc was some crazy Spanish seperatist General or something. Yes, I know where Morocco is. mad.gif

I kinda suspected Morocco, but he wasn't even close in spelling.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And since they are both Americans, and Americans generally have a hard time with their OWN geography, you cant blame them for not immediately thinking of Morroco.<span id='postcolor'>

I resent this. I was a state National Geographic Society Geography Bee finalist.

I think someone needs to send Ex-Ronin a bottle of Midol for that PMS wink.gif

I just checked the Beeb, and they dont seem to have anything on it... Hopefully Camper posts something, even if it is in spanish. Then we can play 'How will Babel screw it up' and read about it (sort of wink.gif)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 12 2002,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think someone needs to send Ex-Ronin a bottle of Midol for that PMS wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That and a bottle of Scotch would be nice smile.gif

Not that I accept any form of bribery of course wow.gif The Midol and the Scotch would just be for my fragile health that you all so much care about wink.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I resent this. I was a state National Geographic Society Geography Bee finalist.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, I said GENERALLY. wink.gif

But you cant deny that the average American has a hard time with geography...watch Leno sometime wink.gif I mean, I bet the average canadian or european likely could name more countries than the american wink.gif

Well, I refered "Marroc" as the country, not as the people, in Spain MORO is the name for Morocco or Marroc habitants, Arabian is the other way to call the Morocco's habitants.

I don't know if you refer Marroc as a "żdespreciated?" name tounge.gif

Ex-Ronin, I found an article, is in spanish smile.gif

Click here smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A squad of between seven and twelve gendarmes Moroccan disembarked yesterday in the island of Parsley, a uninhabited Spanish rock to the west of Ceuta whose sovereignty discusses Morocco. The military, who have been sighted by a patrol one of the Civil Guard, have mounted two tents and have raised the flag of Morocco in the small barren island.

The agents of the Civil Guard have disembarked in the rock shortly after the two of afternoon and they have faced themselves with the Moroccans, who after a brief discussion on a who belongs the one of rock are insisting to go away to the Spaniards of bad ways, threatening shooting to them to them "by mistake". The dowry of the patrol one, composed by eight agents, has left then the zone and has informed into the incident.

The treaty hispanofrancés of 1912, that delimited the zone of the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco, does not make reference some to Parsley, but after the formalization of the protectorate, the island happened to total Spanish occupation. At the beginning of the Nineties, Morocco protested because Parsley appeared including in the rough draft of Statute of Autonomy of Ceuta prepared by the Government of the PSOE, but in the end were not including in the definitive version.

Four boats, frente.a.frente

Spain continues considering, however, that the island is under its sovereignty, something that in front of defends Morocco, since two centuries ago it even maintained with the arms as opposed to the annexionist aims of Great Britain. The small barren island is in Moroccan territorial waters.

The Spanish Government has sent patrol of the Navy and a other of the Civil Guard to the zone, since the Moroccans refuse to retire and count on the materials necessary to remain by a long period in the island. Morocco, on the other hand, have also sent a military boat to the small barren island.

The island Parsley is called Laila, been to 200 meters of the Moroccan coasts, was given back by Spain to Morocco in 1956, at the end of the Protectorate, and since then it has been scene of numerous operations of the Moroccan forces of security. These are the arguments that the Government of Rabat has invoked to explain the presence of his men in the small barren island, that has described as permanent and necessary to fight "against the terrorism and clandestine immigration" in the zone of the Straits of Gibraltar.

The incident has caused preoccupation in the Executive, until the point of which the Spanish president, Jose Maria Aznar, have met with the minister of Defense, Defense, Federico I beat, and with the Secretary of State of Exteriors, Miquel Nadal, to treat the question. The Diplomatic Information bureau has sent a verbal note to the Moroccan Embassy in Madrid (whose holder has been remaining absent for nine months) in that demands the "restoration of the situation previous to these facts" of yesterday.

Spanish diplomatic sources have considered that the incident is the "return" of happened the last week when the minister of Outer Subjects of Morocco, Mohamed Benaissa, summoned the ambassador of Spain in Rabat, Fernando Arias-Salgado, to protest by the unfolding of five ships military of the Navy and a helicopter around Lavender.

<span id='postcolor'>

Gotta love Babel smile.gif LOL.

Hmm, reminds me of both the Falkland thing (to a lesser extent) and an incident between Greece and Turkey sometime in the mid-90's.

I wonder if this will blow out of proportion.

I'd be surprised if an EU NATO country would got to war for a rock in the territorial waters of another country. But then again pride can be a dangerous thing.

Just one squad? If you go to war over this, you may want to vote for a new government

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 11 2002,08:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just one squad? If you go to war over this, you may want to vote for a new government<span id='postcolor'>

That's how it starts. One squad of Gendarmes, or a bunch of "Scrap Metal Merchants" raising an Argentinian flag on South Georgia.

You can bet your ass there are sharks out there watching this incident with a good deal of interest. If Morocco gets away with this, it won'be too long before one of those sharks dives in for a chunk of its own. And further down the line that may be far more damaging than a small war now.

The Falklands and a friggin rock a half a mile off the Moroccan coast are two slightly different cases. Ive seen restaraunts bigger than that pathetic excuse of an island. Now, if you are willing to sacrifice several hundred kids (cuz thats whos fighting and dying) for that little ass boulder, then you really need to reevaluate how important national pride is worth

Actually Wardog is somewhat right. Tex, i dont think hes suggesting that they would go to war over this particular rock, but rather that if people see the Morrocans getting away with it then others with historic claims in disputed Spanish territories could move in for bigger chunks of land (there are other Spanish territories in Tunisia and Morroco i recall, and no doubt other islands)

LOL at Babel translation  tounge.gif

"The agents of the Civil Guard have disembarked in the rock shortly after the two of afternoon and they have faced themselves with the Moroccans, who after a brief discussion on a who belongs the one of rock are insisting to go away to the Spaniards of bad ways, threatening shooting to them to them "by mistake"."

"Spanish Protectorate of Morocco, does not make reference some to Parsley, but after the formalization of the protectorate, the island happened to total Spanish occupation. At the beginning of the Nineties, Morocco protested because Parsley appeared including in the rough draft of Statute of Autonomy of Ceuta prepared by the Government of the PSOE, but in the end were not including in the definitive version."

theyre fighting over 'Lavender' and 'Parsley' ?

Well if the Spanish insist on naming islands with such wimpy names they cant expect them to be treated well  biggrin.gif  

wink.gif

What i find stupid and faintly absurd is that the Spanish government is for some reason strongly trying to win back British Gibraltar (despite the wishes of people of Gibraltar) even though it still has the

colonies in North Africa of Cueta and Melilla

(with pisses off the general population of Morroco much more than the Spanish for Gibraltar)

Another issue perhaps is the rise of neo-fascists in Spain who look back fondly on the rule of the extreme right Franco dictatorship such as the mayor of Marbella, Jesus Gil (GIL party) . If they were to come to power (hopefully not very likely) a conflict with Morroco would be much more possible (and more tension with Gibraltar).

Oh and well done USSoldier 11B for being the state national geographic somethingorother bee

Round of applause  smile.gif

05.jpg

(My, dont you look like Hamid Karzai! (sorry my magic picture finding abilities arent up to Avon standards)

Could it be that this starts a delicious little war... biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 11 2002,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Falklands and a friggin rock a half a mile off the Moroccan coast are two slightly different cases. Ive seen restaraunts bigger than that pathetic excuse of an island. Now, if you are willing to sacrifice several hundred kids (cuz thats whos fighting and dying) for that little ass boulder, then you really need to reevaluate how important national pride is worth<span id='postcolor'>

Tex, Old Bean, you seen to think that international politics has some inscrutable, higher purpose. You're wrong.

You'll find that things become a hell of a lot clearer if you just think of nations as street gangs.

As Isthatyoujohnwayne correctly saw, it's not a matter of national ego, it's National Survival. Any nation that is unable to protect its own is just a target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ July 11 2002,15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could it be that this starts a delicious little war...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Delicious?

You go.

It's from a movie I once saw. This owner of a defence contractor company said: "And then we will have a delicious little war." Funny, I think.