Sign in to follow this  
ErcanKazaz

Why are you still using Gamespy for mp? Use Steamworks please...

I dont have problems in downloading it if its necesary Ruecan (Simply dont want it if steam can do the same when talking about joining friends), but my friends can perfectly don´t like it or just simply they don´t want download it because they dont want waste arms movements and mouse clicks...

I dont have problems in downloading it if its necesary Ruecan (Simply dont want it if steam can do the same when talking about joining friends), but my friends can perfectly don´t like it or just simply they don´t want download it because they dont want waste arms movements and mouse clicks...

Lol what is the community coming to these days...

All us modders caughing up cool tools and lovely mods, and you guys are even too lazy to 'waste arms movements and mouse clicks' :facepalm: :butbut:

It's not about mouse clicks, it just impractical.

Btw. it's amusing how some people constantly whine on Steam that they have to run some additional "bloatware" in background, but they are happy with Play WithSIX which is basically doing the same but with limited functionality/simplicity in many areas. (except mod management, which i believe people mostly use it for this)

awwyeah.png

Also i'm not entirely sure what is the point of discussion about Play WithSIX, AFAIK the actual choice between the server browser / friends functionality in A3 is about Gamespy and Steam.

And since the game is based on Steam, i dont see why we should use GameSpy or any other server browser / friends technology in that matter, is Steamworks missing any functionality i do not know about?

Edited by k3lt

And since the game is based on Steam, i dont see why we should use GameSpy or any other server browser / friends technology in that matter, is Steamworks missing any functionality i do not know about?
Apparently it lacks LAN game support, or BI is too busy working on other things to go full steam ahead right now.

We got talking about PwS because there's no join your friend functionality for arma 3 alpha in steam yet (at least thats what I grasped), while PwS delivers this already today.

However somehow that turned out into a discussion about arm movements and mouse clicks :D

Edited by Sickboy

Apparently it lacks LAN game support, or BI is too busy working on other things to go full steam ahead right now.

We got talking about PwS because there's no join your friend functionality for arma 3 alpha in steam yet (at least thats what I grasped), while PwS delivers this already today.

However somehow that turned out into a discussion :D

Steamworks does support LAN.

Also just for the record, to the best of my knowledge, Steam server support and Gamespy support is just a protocol.

The game developer can do any number of things with it, including decide which fields are available etc.

The bad server browser experiences in ARMA games is therefore not a problem or question of Steam or Gamespy, but about BI implementing a proper browser.

@Sickboy; k3lt Im talking about friends its hard to believe but a few mines don't use something because requires more clicks.

I use third partys stuff for games, Better Battlelog and on my older computer Battlefield Settings editor (BF3), Nexus Mod Manager (Skyrim and Fallow New vegas), Another fallow new vegas Mod manager because a few issues when installing mods from Nexus... and like this i can tell more from other games i played and used mods..

About PwS as i said i prefer more steamworks than PwS.

Dunno but Gamespy's VOIP has always provided me the best VOIP in every game with it soo..

Steamworks does support LAN.
Great, so there appear to be other reasons for using Gamespy for now then.

I agree with it a bit but...the Mod one...Just no....its easy to install just as is.

just merge of some of my answers from steamcommunity discussion

also obviously you didn't seen gamespypowered SDK,

as it does offer friends joining system and matchmaking and much more ...

also gamespy powers quite lot of games (1000s in past decades), some of them used also steamworks ...

we just don't use the friends system nor matchmaking from either... yet...

it's not just about what SDK you use but also how ...

I can switch to STEAM SDK and the in-game server browser will look same, work same and don't do anything new at all ...

so before someone start scream XYZ is bad ABC is good, maybe you need to realize someone must first utilize any of them properly ...

the thing is that people fail to realize that to actually have MP now we used what we already got

if we drop it or use less and then use something else (e.g. steamworks) it all depends on how well it goes on integration,

if there is no obstacle etc. for now we can use both if we need or want to ...

same goes on the basis of what we keep or drop and when ...

now the A3A server UI browser is nearly untouched from design I made (with Kju) for 1.54-1.55 A2: OA and later tweaks...

expect (if all goes well) some good improvements to the server browser

(OA had way too many limitations which are now possible overcome in the server browser UI (unrelated to SDK used))

it's not about SDK, it's about the how use them, when etc.

(friends system wasn't needed (from design view) for A2/OA so it never happened)

we do want the features to be improved, the experience of users to be less frustrating ...

Dwarden its a bit frustrating join to friend's game or reverse overall if are a few servers with the same name and map..

I know , like I said, it's WIP (work in progress) ...

Dwarden please do what this guy said! Steamworks is so much better for friend communication and joining!

When I see a game use Gamespy I think " Developers are trying to cut corners and save money ". Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: Please note, Gamespy is 'acceptable' for this Alpha release. It however will NOT be 'acceptable' for a full release of Arma3. When a developer uses Gamespy for there multiplayer, it means that they dont care enough about there player base. Using Gamespy turns a first world game developer into a third world game developer. Lack of professionalism. Though again, its acceptable... for now.

Edited by Zickefoose