Sign in to follow this  
ErcanKazaz

Why are you still using Gamespy for mp? Use Steamworks please...

Please for the love of god do not use steams terrible browser, its pretty much the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to use. The current system works perfectly well and has all the filters needed. That is all.

Please for the love of god do not use steams terrible browser, its pretty much the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to use. The current system works perfectly well and has all the filters needed. That is all.

What? the in-game web browser? They won't use that to find servers, why would they? Doesn't even really make since unless they had a website like battlelog (which is awful, don't do that BI.) Steams browser is pretty bad based on the fact that it uses internet explorer, idk why really, but it probably has something to do with every PC coming with it, and them being too lazy to implement other browsers working in their overlay.

Anyway, GameSpy browser is really a pain. I allways have problems loading the server list. No PING show's, filter sort does not works, and so on ... This must be answered by some BIS member please!

That the browser is a pain should have nothing to do with GameSpy and more to do with choices and effort put in by BI, gamespy is basically just the protocol, how games utilize it is up to the developers.

No Pings and such sound like basic firewall/security suite/router issues, and you could experience them with any other protocol as well.

Explain how Steam's browsers is the worst thing you ever had the misfortune to use. And please, do explain how the Gamespy system works perfectly well.

That the browser is a pain should have nothing to do with GameSpy and more to do with choices and effort put in by BI, gamespy is basically just the protocol, how games utilize it is up to the developers.

No Pings and such sound like basic firewall/security suite/router issues, and you could experience them with any other protocol as well.

Is not a firewall problem since I tested so many times on ARMA, ARMA II and now ARMA III is about how crappy this game broswser is from my own experience. Don't have this problem on other games, with built in game browser. I wish BI take some care about it now that ARMA III seems a great jump ahead.

Still pretty sure you will find the problem is in your network topology, in one of the devices / software I mentioned, I'm even pretty sure it's a limitation of the router, it's current firmware or configuration :)

But connectivity / ping problems, and comfortable game browser are two different things.

Im using PW6 and can get the entire server list with ping and also use the filters with no problem (as it must be). That's what we need "by default" in ARMA III. A usefull built in game browser.

The core functionality of the server browser is fine for me. Filters work, i can see ping, sort by it and other columns etc.. What i miss is favoring servers and joining off of friends. BIS can probably implement favoring in GameSpy without a problem with what they have right now, but they will most probably need to use steamworks for the friends system, but it should be able to still work with gamespy(export the information regarding what server the friend is playing on through steamworks, then connect to same server through gamespy).

Yes, i hardly agree this is one of the worst Server Browser i ever saw and used and it was a real pain for me when i noticed they didn't changed that.

This is really the wrong place to save Money and i think ppl's spend enough Cash to support a better Model with the DayZ hype.

A lot of Ppl's having trouble to deal with the Server Browser (it's not like they just don't like it , they have real problems to use it.)

And no it's not a Problem of Firewall Settings or Port's that could fix it and anyway every other Serverbrowser of any other Game works perfect for me, so it's for sure not a Problem of the Customer.

It's simply furstrating when you Click the Refresh Button and you see hundreds of server with a unknow "?" next to the Ping and sometimes a Server is displayed and sometimes he isn't.

Even the Server Browser on Gamespyarcade worked better than this one, i really don't know why you wanna keep stay with a Browser that causing so much troubles.

there are some bugs causing the no listing, fail connect etc. so stop blaming it on WIP server browser UI (not final anyway so expect changes for better later) ...

and I know many way worse server browsers anyway so calling it way worse is unfair (just for example try find the server browser UI prior A2:OA v1.55)

I don't really have a problem with gamespy but a new filter for filtering out strings would be great (e.g. filter for wasteland and no wasteland servers appear anymore).

Explain how Steam's browsers is the worst thing you ever had the misfortune to use. And please, do explain how the Gamespy system works perfectly well.

Steams "server browser" is more like a matchmaking system, it never tells you the correct players the ping is almost always incorrect and it just doesnt sit well with me.

The Gamespy system works great pings are correct, player numbers update you can filter for anything you need to, joining games works perfectly. Its a personal opinion but I prefer server browsers how they have been from past years, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield 2/2142 etc. Developers choosing to dumb down server browsers and use crap like matchmaking and quick match to cater to people too stupid to use a proper server browser annoys the hell out of me and Steam reminds me of that.

Anyway dragging up old thread just because I saw you asked me.

Yeah, the first thing my eyes snapped to when starting the server browser was "powered by gamespy"

I shuddered a little bit.

Same story for me.

I hope they use Steamwork in the final release, its a pain invite a friend to your game or join to friend's game

Play withSIX contains functionality to easily join your buddy etc. However we need to work out an issue with how arma3 launching with steam works because PwS looses track of launched arma3 currently, probably in a few days.

Play withSIX contains functionality to easily join your buddy etc. However we need to work out an issue with how arma3 launching with steam works because PwS looses track of launched arma3 currently, probably in a few days.

Yeah, but why anyone would use Play withSIX is the game has been released on Steam, and Steam has perfect tools for managing friends / joining games and it's ready to use anytime if devs decide. (you can basically join your friend on MP server with 2 mouse clicks after opening Steam)

And you dont even need to configure anything.

Edited by k3lt

Apparently they aren't perfect or not yet enabled for ARMA3 alpha.

There's also major benefit in PwS because of the great mod support. You're not just joining your friends, but also with the right mods.

Anyway, didn't intend on a for and against discussion, rather i'm delivering solutions to problems opted by people.

Not offend Sickboy but why i want use a website/launcher to play ARMA3 if i have it on steam? i hate that on battlefield 3 using origin to to start the battlelog (the damn website) to play battlefield 3..., and i personally think that isnt constructive... If the game is launched on Steam and steam have his own way to join friend's game, why dont use it and make happy all arma 3 owners? instead of making them connect to a website or a launcher

For use MODS, why just dont make the same like ARMA 2? select content ingame and restart it (or just create a shortcut and add "-modname"... still being better than use a launcher

Why can't you just open a server browser and join a server your friend is on?

Not offend Sickboy but why i want use a website/launcher to play ARMA3 if i have it on steam? i hate that on battlefield 3 using origin to to start the battlelog (the damn website) to play battlefield 3..., and i personally think that isnt constructive... If the game is launched on Steam and steam have his own way to join friend's game, why dont use it and make happy all arma 3 owners? instead of making them connect to a website or a launcher
The website is only to download the software, just like any other software these days.

I've already pointed out why;

1. apparently this doesnt work for arma3 alpha on steam yet?

2. because our software fully understands mods, mod dependencies, and much more, and has a much more powerful Server Browser.

(3. Some ppl hate Steam)

(4. We support Steam and non Steam games)

Btw, we're doing this for over 4 years already for the ARMA universe.

In any case, it's up to you what you like/prefer.

@metalcraze:

Because do that some times is hard... i got issues joining to a server with a friends because there are a lot of times servers with the same map, same number of players and even same name.

In Arma 2 while was playing a few months ago i saw 3 servers with the same name and same map (Rock, Paper & shotgun) 2 was dedicated server from the same clan and the other was a boy that the only thing he was doing was Team-killing with the tank, so i was on the Dedicated server while my friend was in the server of this other guy..

@Sickboy, Im still prefer having a native way to join to my friends instead download a third party application. Nothing more ^^

PwS Is an amazing program with unbeatable manager for mods and customization. Something that steam nor an official in-game feature could be compared to. The arma series is built on the community and all that the community has to offer.

If you have issues connecting to a friends server, have him tell your the IP of that server. It's easier to connect using an IP than it is to filter through names. Third party apps and addons is what arma thrives on, give PwS a chance, it may have a slight learning curve but so does the Arma franchise.

In the end you will be much better off for it. Even if a native "friends list" is created I don't see myself switching to it. What's going to happen with the steam inviting a friend when your friend doesnt have a mod that you have and the server requires? steam wont be able to handle that. PwS can.

Pretty much nails it, much appreciated Ruecan, and fun pun with 'OnRails' (are you a fan like me?) ;-)

I think we may be able to offer the best of both worlds btw, it should be possible for us to hook into the Steam API, and connect you with your Steam friends from PwS.

We have this on the backlog to look into :)