I've seen this error too and already been working on a fix and almost have it nailed.

In my case I believe the error was related to civilian AI managed by UPSMON.

Could that be the case for you too?

Hi. Not sure it could be as I have no civilian AI in the mission

Hi guys

kust heard about UPSMON.

Could you please let me know where I can download the latest version?

Many Thanks

ToM

I cannot quite remember but... in previous UPSMON, if you shoot near an enemy who's got upsmon near it, and they didnt see you shooting... they will investigate right? Do they go back to the place they came from before the shooting or stay at the place they went to look for you?

Or do they look for you forever? Because that seems to be the case? Or am I misjudging their actions...

Thanks for the update Beerkan!

I'm not sure, but I think UPSMON uses nearTargets, meaning that if the in-game AI engine "forgot" about you, then so did UPSMON. Then again, I'm only basing this on a few quick looks over the script, so there's a lot I could be missing.

Thanks so much for uploading an error-free version! I spent quite a few hours yesterday trying to remove the errors myself to no avail.

When I first load the new version up, I do get an error for line 367 (iirc) of init_upsmon.sqf.

Here's the RPT:

Error in expression <ts1 = [];
_targets2 = [];
{
if (!isnull _x && alive _x && !captive _x ) then {	
>
 Error position: <_x && alive _x && !captive _x ) then {	
>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _x
File C:\Users\Eric\Documents\Arma 3\missions\UPSMON_-_Agia_Marina.Stratis\scripts\Init_UPSMON.sqf, line 367

I'm having the same error even after correction Beerkan, in my case I am using a hostage to my group get into this area of the trigger bot enters the group, after this action this error starts to appear, there is no connection of this bot with upsmon commands but by the simple act of joining the group this error begins to be spammed.

edited 14/08/13

Other errors that keeps popping up is in UPSMON.sqf file on line in 1558, the same variable that generates the error in UPSMON_init file (line 376) is the cause of this error variable (variable is _x), offsetting these lines the error disappears but the units are extremely stupid, flank, patrol but not shoot.

Another error that appears is when a Civilian is killed, an error message appears saying that the file variable rglobalchat in R_functions (line 328) is not correct.

Edited by Alcaran

I'm planning to do a significant update of UPSMON for A3 specifically.

Based on the various updates around I've started to make a 'best of breed' and have added and will add some changes - unfortunately my time is limited so may take a while :-)

So therefore, just like BIS I will share progress - including disclaimer and hoping for feedback in case of issues.

Updates:

- merged updates/fixes collected.made by Beerkan, Shay_gman. Ligthert, and others

- should have fixed _surrender bug

- rewritten/modified small parts of some code/functions

New:

- added UPSMON diver support - divers will patrol zone, and if next wp is on shore they will move out of the water (and return if wp is in water again). In case of enemy reports they will leave the water and engage.

Known issues with divers:

- diver will board subs if they need to travel longer distance, but this only work for empty subs now

- sub will move to shore if wp is on land, but divers do not disembark in that case (in case of enemy alerts they should leave subs)

- sub will not dive under water for now

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96469595/_UPSMON/UPSMON_520b1.zip

I am very grateful for their commitment Ollem, and incredible as it sounds, I follow this forum daily expecting improvements and fixes to this script which in my view is essential for editing missions.

I'm already using your version and error with the variable (_x) persists, but now she has shifted to line 340.

Not yet tested in the version with the error civilians, but worth a quick test when you have time to kill any civilian unit appeared the error described above with the variable (rglobalchat) file R_functions.

I'm waiting on more fixes and since already many thanks.

I'm planning to do a significant update of UPSMON for A3 specifically.

Based on the various updates around I've started to make a 'best of breed' and have added and will add some changes - unfortunately my time is limited so may take a while :-)...

Thanks for your offer Ollem to do this. Hopefully that won't deter others contributing towards improving the script, and that we all work together. As long as we all keep the development of UPSMON moving forward then it's a good thing.

Your contribution Ollem, as with any other's contributions are all very welcome.

For example, there are a small number of lines and references scattered throughout the UPSMON scripts which relate only to ACE2/3 and ArmA2. These can be removed to streamline and focus the script for A3.

Known issues with divers:

- diver will board subs if they need to travel longer distance, but this only work for empty subs now

This is not so much an issue, because it's part of the UPSMON script. If an AI unit is far enough away from the waypoint it will

use any mechanised vehicle it finds, (be that land sea or air) to reach it's destination. If you wish to keep the unit in a sub, then you will have to allow for this. i.e. if the unit is a diver and has re-breather equipment then restrict to sub/sea vehices only. You may also need to set to avoid land so it calculates it's path via sea only. Anyway, hope you can resolve these issues.

Good luck, and thanks.

Edited by Beerkan

Ollem, did some brief testing with your updated version and a civilian and I haven't received any _surrender errors. He walks the area just as desired :) Thanks Ollem!

I love UPSMON, and used it in almost all my A2 missions, I tried using it in A3 alpha and it worked all right, but beta seemed to break it and started to spew loads of errors.

But reading this last page, it seems like you guys have managed to get it back up and running?

what is the current state of upsmon? do the AI still all take the same positions when using fortify? does it still send out a huge wave of errors?

It would be sweet if any of you guys could maybe start a new thread so the OP could be held updated with current issues/bugs and a download link.

keep up the good work!

@Taxen0: Please give the updated code a try and let us know if/what kind of errors you get.

There is quite a lot of functionality in UPSMON, and no single person is really capable to test every single feature.

E.g. I only use UPSMON in MultiPlayer, and nearly only use UPSMON in combination with MCC, not really interested in surrender options, and don't use the template functionality.

So please keep those error reports coming.

Just started a new mission to do a few quick tests.

first off, got no errors. so that's a good sign. I played as a sniper and took a shot at a group that were patrolling a marker, they then tried to flank my position but I ran away without them spotting me and they did not seem to pick up the trail and were happy with searching the area I shot from, so the AI seems to work as intended. (complete satisfaction when my tripwire mine went boom)

The fortify command seems to work, but not as well as it used too.

I put down a group of 4 at kamino firing range and they all took position in the military offices (they all walked to the same spot, but when they saw that it was occupied, all but one walked to the next spot and so on.)

when I put down loads of groups, all with fortify. they all just stormed the same building and there were 2-3 units at each spot.

I guess that there is some table or something with info about available spots for each building type or something? and that it's missing info about most places.

if there is something I can help with to get this working just tell me =)

The fortify command seems to work, but not as well as it used too.

I put down a group of 4 at kamino firing range and they all took position in the military offices (they all walked to the same spot, but when they saw that it was occupied, all but one walked to the next spot and so on.)

when I put down loads of groups, all with fortify. they all just stormed the same building and there were 2-3 units at each spot.

I guess that there is some table or something with info about available spots for each building type or something? and that it's missing info about most places.

Each building model has a number of spaces defined which can be used by AI to position themselves. The ArmA command 'buildingPos' is used to determine these spots.

If in A2 the AI would not take a spot already taken by another AI, this *might* be linked to an A3 issue while the fortify UPSMON code for A3 is still the same as A3.

However, due to latest BETA changes it may still be related to UPSMON code.

I will put on todo list to have a look at it: I had a quick look at the code and do see some things that need some closer look anyway.

in A2 you sometimes had more than 1 unit at the same position, but it was not to the same extent as here, they only seem to be able to occupy certain building types.

they seem to ignore most kind of buildings or have their priorities wrong, but in A2 they spread out from the start and took positions outside of doors, in towers, inside buildings, behind sandbags/walls/cover, etc.

I just tried the surrender part aswell and it seems to work good, and I get no errors while using upsmon on civ units.

edit: placing the unit with fortify at for example LZ Connor results in them just standing there, so they don't try to get inside of any of those buildings.

The AI also seems to have a problem to use stairs as they bug out and walk through the walls and end up in weird places (like underground) or fall down.

the latter may be a A3 bug as it can happen if you try to get a unit to fortify something using waypoints as well, but maybe not as often.

Edited by Taxen0

As far as I remember, in A2 UPSMON could send units to the same building position, but only if they were from different group. Each script instance (aka each group) made sure not to send 2 AI to the same spot, but the different instances weren't communicating with each other and therefore each could send an AI to the same spot.

tried playing around with reinforce groups, and they seem to work. But if you have the "nomove" command like the upsmon wiki have,

then they stay put even after KRON_UPSMON_reinforcement=TRUE.

but otherwise it seems to work, I did not use this feature much in A2 but they entered a heli, flew to the engagement, landed and the heli returned, and landed.

the soldiers had to walk home after the fight though =)

but when using the reinforce groups I got the following error looping:

Error in expression <KRON_UPS_reinforcement1>
 Error position: <KRON_UPS_reinforcement1>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: kron_ups_reinforcement1

I used this in the init: nul=[this,"blufor","reinforcement:",1] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

but when using the reinforce groups I got the following error looping:

Error Undefined variable in expression: kron_ups_reinforcement1

I understand the cause of this error and should be able to fix it. Unfortunately very limited time at the moment so please be patient.

Recently there is some unexpected behavior (could be aka bug) in ARMA 3 BETA with the unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE" command to make AI go prone.

Units that have been ordered using this command get into some weird state where they keep lowering and raising their weapon.

Unfortunately UPSMON is using this command at quite a few places, so this explains some of the weird behavior I've noticed with UPSMON recently :-/

BIS has implemented some improvements in AI stance behavior, so I'm currently considering releasing a UPSMON version which will have all stance changes disabled.

Setting the AI behavior to COMBAT or STEALTH should already make default BIS AI behavior make the AI go into different stances if applicable.

Has anyone tried using the "random" parameter on Altis? When I try it on about four squads, it freezes my game and I have to use the task manager to quit.

Has anyone tried using the "random" parameter on Altis? When I try it on about four squads, it freezes my game and I have to use the task manager to quit.

Yeah, I'm getting that too. Was wondering if it was just me.

Recently there is some unexpected behavior (could be aka bug) in ARMA 3 BETA with the unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE" command to make AI go prone.

Change unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE" command to unit setUnitPos "AUTO" command that should fix that problem..... So instead of forcing the AI into a position stance let it decide for itself.:)

@All the UPSMON coders,modders,scripters,editors

Thank you for updating the UPSMON. I greatly use it for the Arma 3 AAS AI side. It was implemented in Arma 2 but wasn't working as good as it should. :cool:

Great work trying to convert this, im tho like some other ppl getting freezes when random positioning for example.

Ive noticed in my own scripts aswell calling "BIS_fnc_selectRandom" seems to put the game in a infinite loop and eventually stop responding.