Sign in to follow this  
DarkMater

Squad/Unit Commands - Has it been enhanced beyond the f-keys and numbers?

One thing that was talked about during development was doing a better job with unit/squad commanding. I know many of you are use to, and may love the f-key and number menu commands, but for me its a bit clunky.

That beings said, I have not played the Alpha yet, but this is something I am looking forward to seeing enhanced, and am wondering if its still the same squad command system as before ARMA 2 reference wise, or has it been enhanced to be more user friendly?

Thanks,

One thing that was talked about during development was doing a better job with unit/squad commanding. I know many of you are use to, and may love the f-key and number menu commands, but for me its a bit clunky.

That beings said, I have not played the Alpha yet, but this is something I am looking forward to seeing enhanced, and am wondering if its still the same squad command system as before ARMA 2 reference wise, or has it been enhanced to be more user friendly?

Thanks,

It appears to me that the only significant change is that the spacebar now switches the equipped weapon by default, so now, to select all units, you press the ~ key. Same F1-F11 keys, same 2-8 menus. I could be wrong, but that's been my experience

wondering if its still the same squad command system as before ARMA 2 reference wise

I looked at it and its the same system.

Every order is the same and even little system things are there.

Like in the action menu [6]. Option nr 1 is always to heal a soldier that is injured if a soldier is injured.

So yeah, A3A command system is the A2 system.

The only dif is that spacebar is reconfigured to not be command mode key.

Which kinda breaks my VAC voice command profile, but you only have to edited the key bindings at little.

Remove spacebar from Use action and Use default action and add spacebar to Command mode bindings.

If you have issues with the A2 system you really should test voice commands. (See Sig)

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

I had bought up something similar in a thread that was, unsurprisingly, buried but it briefly touched upon the old reserved controls for the commands (F set keys and number keys above QWERTY keys). While it's mostly untouched besides what was mentioned above, it's fine in single player campaign because I actually have been using Jojo's VAC profile (Thanks, Jojo). Yet I was proposing the option to allow us to, at the very least, remapped those reserved keys for more important immediate actions for online multiplayer/co-op. I think the old system is much too rigid and the limitations need to be open for rebinding for this new era of ArmA.

Ideally the command system is in deep need of change, problem is for some reason we saw none, and TBH, the context senstive menu just won't cut it.