Sign in to follow this  
Wolf85

Character run speed

Hey.

Is the full sprint speed perhaps too high?. I think with so much weight a soldier could not run at the speed that seems to run now in full sprint, something similar to what Usain Bolt can reach ..

Maybe it's a my feeling, someone else with the same opinion?

its the future, humans are genetically modified to run super fast with and look unnatural while doing so.

The fastest I've ever seen anyone run in a forest was my NCO in a combat raiment back in my conscript days. The asthmatic son of a bitch really took me by surprise.

I think equipment load should have more of an effect, but I can't say about the base running speeds.

yep, sprinting will be slowed down slightly

Thanks four your reply. :)

I am happy to hear that. It did seem a tad fast.

slightly?

how we are supposed to shoot sonics the hedgehogs? not even talking about it's being completely unrealistic

n7snk> I think in this video the "turboeffect" is due to lag. The actual sprinting animation is 1:1 IRL Smookie, exhausted after whole day mocaping. Apparently the guy can run really fast.

Its not just the sprinting, but rather all the animations are too fast. Climbing ladders is especially obvious. I was thinking it had to do with server setting on how fast time passes, 2xSpeed, 4xSpeed...ect. If not things seriously need to be slowed down. Also, when crouch running the avatar leans forward a bit too much.

The trend for speeding up is obvious, even from A2 to A2:OA there was a noticable speed increase for animations and walking and running speed. A2 had the most natural looking animation and running speed so far, execpt for ladder climbing. Unfortunately there is that call for speeding everything up for quite a while in the community. It cummulates into such nonsense like a player can run faster then a car can drive off road.

Edited by Beagle

I would strongly support a reduction of movement speed across the board for all movements (to a lesser degree for walk/crawl speeds). I do like the momentum they seem to have added with a bit of sliding at the end of the turn. It would be great if they could do the same thing for turning so that players can't maintain crazy speeds while zig zagging or changing directions.

I am supporting of a reduction in speed also.

Whilst Arma 2 was a little too clunky, I feel Arma 3 has gone slightly too far in the other direction, as soldiers now seem a little too fast and "fps".

But as Vespa has said, they will be slowed down, and I have no doubts that even by the time Beta is out the movement will be great.

Cheers!

I personally think they should just reduce acceleration for sprinting. Maybe make it take a couple of seconds to get up to full speed when sprinting would make it feel more realistic (Especially when carrying a heavy load). At the moment the character just instantly "shoots" to full speed when he starts sprinting (that's what it feels like). I dont have a problem with being able to move fast and smoothly, its just that at the moment there is no inertia or weight to the movements. GTA 4 had a very nice movement system IMO. When sprinting you took time to stop and get going, and you could only turn slowly when running fast.

Wouldn't it simply make more sense to have it be dependent on weight carried? I don't think the speed is strange at all for someone carrying little weight, it's just that it's silly when it happens when someone carries 50kg.

At least there'd be some tangible advantage to taking only a light load out.

The actual speed when sprinting maybe okay as it is but the animation of your soldier sprinting in 3rd person is ridiculous. I'm just waiting for someone to add the benny hill theme tune!! Slow the animation down please!!

Wouldn't it simply make more sense to have it be dependent on weight carried? I don't think the speed is strange at all for someone carrying little weight, it's just that it's silly when it happens when someone carries 50kg.

+1

Weight needs to be a major consideration in load-outs. Sure, ace3 will get it right, but the default game needs to get the basic reality of weight and movement limitations.

The trend for speeding up is obvious, even from A2 to A2:OA there was a noticable speed increase for animations and walking and running speed. A2 had the most natural looking animation and running speed so far, execpt for ladder climbing. Unfortunately there is that call for speeding everything up for quite a while in the community. It cummulates into such nonsense like a player can run faster then a car can drive off road.

I'd say the running speeds are closer to correct than the car driving speeds are.

Why is it that as soon as my wheels touch dirt the car loses 20km/h? I feel like the dirt is made of tire attracting fly paper.

I agree but even when running with just a gun the sprint speed seems a little fast to me.

Maybe it's a my feeling, someone else with the same opinion?

I was thinking the same. Simply the distance a character can move at a specific time seems way to long for me. I wish we had the same run speed as in Arma II. Has anyone measured time/distances on Stratis already? Not sure if it can be done properly because of mountain terrain.

Edited by tortuosit

i belive it should be slowed down and your stamina (how long you can run without blacking out like in ACE) depending on ammount of weight you carry

It looks to fast in my opinion aswell.

Another issue is that strafing sideways looks to twitchy. Sprinting, and making side steps will slow you down. There is also another issue here: running speed is dependent on terrain.

In arma 2 you could run for extremely long distances and even run up for hills with no effect on stamina. Anyone who run a lot knows its hell to run up for high slopes. Driving a car on sand in Arma 2 was painfully slow, and at certain times at grass aswell, while it seemed to have no effect on running speed or stamina. Running was even way faster.

Also, if we want very realistic running speed, then we cant ignore its drawbacks either.

Alpha is alpha.

In next update of the Alpha, there will be slight tweak of movement speeds - particularly sprinting will be slowed down.

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147622-Better-animations&p=2314837&viewfull=1#post2314837

EDIT: lol, should've read the whole thread first.

Edited by Winfernal

Honestly, I think that the sprint speed is fine. The sprint duration needs to be shortened. Needs to only last 5 seconds. If you rest for like another 5 or 10 secs, you recover some of your energy, but not all. The speed is good for sprinting for short distances.