SaOk

[SP/MP] Dynamic Whole Map ArmA3 Missions by SaOk

Awesome game mode (AAA)

You can play any way you like.

Survival/Stealth/Rambo ...name it..

Thanks, :) still much to do, but overally the good performance with Altis really suprised me. The mission concept seem to work much more smooth with Altis. I believe the FPS issues where connected to nearby ocean with Stratis. There is still some game issues, but looking very good. Hard to edit the mission while Altis keeps me exploring the map. :)

Rest of the game content is coming 4th september, going to include those into the mission too.

http://beta.arma3.com/sitrep-00023

SaOk

I had a few "arma 3 stop responding" today when playing your mission! i am going to test more and come back here later! only happens with your altis mission!

Sometimes the game halts for me during start dialog. There have been crashing at least related to nearestbuildings command (e.g. everytime when I tried to copy classname of the tower fortification). I work more on the mission soon once getting rid of flu. Game patches may also help to keep the mission more stable.

Great to see your mission on Altis and I can't wait for you to implement some tasks in the future, however now that I've played around without tasks I think it's quite nice having enemy patrols while you explore Altis so my suggestion is to implement a "no mission tasks" mode where most of the mission's assets being present without any tasks to do. Maybe that can be chosen in the starting menu?

Last time i played the game did not crash...first time seemed to be the amount of units and vehicles that were spawning by me "player". But i could not play it using asr_ai bc there was non stop asr erros that i have not seem i other missions!

Sure, I will try to keep the freedom there. Not to add too many static locations for tasks except for possible ones with cutscene and more detailed events. There is constantly units created and deleted which could cause errors if there isnt isNull and isNil checks enough in unit related functions. ASR_AI is definitely great script, I liked to play with it in ArmA2 many times and hope to test it in ArmA3 soon, but those errors can be only fixed in the mod scripts. Once music plays there is always new phase started in enemy tactic script loop with new AI vehicles/units created (unless there isnt more room - there is own gaps for friendly/enemy infantry, camps, vehicles...). When vehicles are spawned they randomly explode instantly which is issue with the new physX vehicles. I would guess that is causing the crashing for some players. I try to make sure every vehicle would be spawned over street to reduce problems.

It's really remarkable in such a mission-constantly lots of things happening at background with THIS kind of efficiency on FPS.

I also played mission i haven't seen a single enemy in 4KM while my FPS was stuck at <15.

Very nice surgical-job i say.

Btw i m playing with ASR_AI (with a bunch of tpw's creations also) and everything are working just fine

-for the guyz with lots of @@'z) :)

Edited by GiorgyGR

Released new version of Whole Lotta Altis with UAV/UGVs disabled as default. Let me know if the AI issues still appear with UAV/UGVs left disabled (as default) in start dialog.

Edited by SaOk

New version 0.5 of the Whole Lotta Altis is available. Much much tweak and fixes. I made own AI vehicle spawn script with A3 commands. Let me know if the AI vehicle issue is still happening for you. Performance also feels better now in the mission.

See first post for download links.

Change Log:

-Added Intro Cinema (WIP)

-Parked cars in villages

-Reinforcement\Enemy scout car improvements

-Many many tweaks and fixes

-Early work to bring factories as improtant gameplay factor (not yet proper function)

-Factories and camps detect nearby created guardposts (not yet proper function)

Edited by SaOk

You have uploaded the new version to SWS Sa0k or should I take this as a given?

Yes, the newest version is always available there. :)

I have not tried this one out yet.

The other one, once inserted at start, two vehicles are parachuted in.

Then, when entering vehicles, IFRIT attacks immediately and kills all of us.

Happened twice, once near a village, once way way way out in the woods in the mountains.

Did you intend for that to happen or was I unlucky twice?

The enemy vehicles are currently over active after I updated scripts much. I balance it to better today for at least workshop. Still main roads will stay dangerous with fast moving enemy scout cars. If you keep distance to patrolling enemy, staying hidden, they dont go after you.

Edit: Easier mission version now in workshop.

Edited by SaOk

Hey SaOk..

Any possibility for player to select (on mission start as always) the existence (or no ) of support vehicles by paradrop?

I do believe enemy spots them falling and coming from all sides

That is definitely a problem, I will change the land support to arrive without paradrop. Anyway that was quite unrealistic feature. Empty vehicles will be still paradropped. Going to rework the support options more too. There could be dialog for them and player could choose specific support he wants (e.g. air support with UAV, selected choppers or fighter).

Hey SaOk..

Any possibility for player to select (on mission start as always) the existence (or no ) of support vehicles by paradrop?

I do believe enemy spots them falling and coming from all sides

That's it! That's the problem I was having.

Enemy saw them landing and decided to check things out with the IFRIT.

As soon as I did the command "Get In", we all died.

What the deal with my squadmate morale?

We've just landed and they are homesick? And this affects their performance? This is the silliest system I've seen crammed into a mission ever, I don't want to spend my game time stopping in a warzone to click on "tell joke" and "rebuke" every five minutes lest they under-perform in a firefight. Really poor game design, especially considering times moves in real-time, so why are these guys mentally disturbed twenty minutes into a game with only one small firefight. Are these guys soldiers behind enemy lines or whiny teenagers in some sort of red dawn scenario?

Otherwise it's a good mission, some of that sort of fluff needs to go though.

I do believe after a fight ..and after some bullets passed some inches from your head..you REALLY need a joke (the least)

I do believe after a fight ..and after some bullets passed some inches from your head..you REALLY need a joke (the least)

Yeah all those years of training and our hardened special forces soldier breaks down after a few seconds of shooting and starts whinging about home and we haven't even really begun the mission. Seriously if you are a special forces soldier and you break down after less than a minute of shooting, then you should probably just find a rock and hide under it.

REALISM! TACTICAL BATTLE PSYCHOLOGY SIMULATOR!

The UI for managing your soldiers is terrible as well. If you want to introduce clunky, annoying features, along with a clunky UI, don't expect to get my vote. At the moment it's quite roguelike, which obviously doesn't fit in ARMA III. Opening the UI and clicking on each soldier, then clicking all the buttons is a waste of time, that is all that is involved. It doesn't have any affect on my game experience other than getting in the way and wasting my time.

When adding features, you need to look at the pros and cons.

Pros.

- Adds more "realism" (not necessarily a good thing)

- ?????????

- ?????????????????

Cons.

- Adds more useless micromanagement that breaks the flow of gameplay.

- Any sense of depth is an illusion, the player can overcome any ailment by opening the dialog and pressing all the buttons.

- Scale on which soldier's abilities degrade is not realistic at all.

I'm an environment artist in the real world, I know this doesn't make me an authority on this topic, but I feel like SAOK is cramming a bunch of fluff into this mission for no real gain. Every time you introduce a feature you have to ask yourself if adding said feature actually adds anything to the game. At the moment, I just have to make sure I open a dialog box every few minutes and go through and tell a joke and rebuke and medicate because the penalty if I end up in a firefight is that my troops are affected by these conditions but the enemy is not. It's not realistic, it's not well-executed, it is extra perceived depth for no gain to gameplay.

Edited by Phlux1

I m really sorry you feel that way.

Battle psychology? anyway let's not expand on this..

Personally i like the current system.

The mission is still early work with experimental additions, I am mostly adding new functions but many of the things are not yet balanced. The team-mate system is just an extra detail to add some personality and stats for units. The skill bonuses/looses have very tiny impact at the end. You can even ignore the whole system like I mostly do. There is definitely too much homesickes, but soldiers are not robots even when highly trained. With homesickes I meant their mind is thinking home reducing awareness. Not that they are vomiting in panic. The longer soldiers are in action, the more they will start to crack. But yes for the skilled recon-team, the some conditions are over-dominateing.

I am not aiming to offer perfect mission content from start. You can always polish single UI elements for days if you want. I like to try different things, as most important - trying to make the generated life/action on map look chaotic(ally?) real and unexpected.

Still I dont understand what over-clunky there is with the team-mate dialog. Simple listbox and buttons on the same page. You cant get lost while operating with that.

Edited by SaOk