SaOk

[SP/MP] Dynamic Whole Map ArmA3 Missions by SaOk

Save for what constantly? If u die u will respawn up to 1km away from the point u were killed.

Yeah, but then you will usually be all alone or with only a few teammates left and then you're screwed... I did manage to get back-up sent to me once but guess what? They were run over by an enemy GMG before they could get to me anyways :)

I love this whole-map-mission idea and that's exactly what I would be doing if I was creating missions but you really should start of with a static core then build randomly generated content around that.

I mean there's even a start point where your chopper drives straight into wind power plant... like what? Are the starting points completely randomised, instead of x amount of set starting points of which one is chosen?

That makes less work for the editor but having things like start positions randomised can lead to a lot of trouble -- including dropping straight onto enemy tanks (happens often) unless a script is written to automatically delete all enemies in a x radius around where the player starts.

Yeah, but then you will usually be all alone or with only a few teammates left and then you're screwed... I did manage to get back-up sent to me once but guess what? They were run over by an enemy GMG before they could get to me anyways :)

I love this whole-map-mission idea and that's exactly what I would be doing if I was creating missions but you really should start of with a static core then build randomly generated content around that.

I mean there's even a start point where your chopper drives straight into wind power plant... like what? Are the starting points completely randomised, instead of x amount of set starting points of which one is chosen?

That makes less work for the editor but having things like start positions randomised can lead to a lot of trouble -- including dropping straight onto enemy tanks (happens often) unless a script is written to automatically delete all enemies in a x radius around where the player starts.

Meanwhile i prefer to be alone there. As i saw that my teammates cant even navigate a hunterHMG over 1 km without losing a tyre or two i´ve had enough . I mean this AI is so massive dumb, you cant even call it AI cause AI includes "Intelligence" and this seems to be missed. Send 1 of your teammates on the top of these Military Towers, when he reaches his destination tell him to regroup and watch what happens^^ Then tell me thats "Intelligence"

What the hell, D00D?!... Really awesome work you did there!

The start for new players is a bit hard, atleast until you figured out all the hotkey, but if you keep playing,

hours of fun are ensured. I love the dialog menue you've coded for the npcs, if you're bored you could make

a little tutorial on how you did them.

Your voice overs are shit, sorry but everytime you say "join into battle" i understand "join into butthole",

and i dun wanna join into your butthole... :butbut:

Okay, I'm completely tired of WLA now. All you do is die. Spawning in areas where enemy tanks are going around, dying, dying, dying, teammates dying before they even get close to you, more dying and teleporting across the map.

I’ve decided that the biggest issue is that there are too many enemies randomly moving around with no clear enemy areas and safe areas and there are TOO MANY VEHICLES.

APCs, tanks, all over the place and if you’re infantry you’re absolutely screwed.

If enemies would be concentrated in enemy cities and only be driving in clear patterns between their base and friendly bases they are going to attack and there were defined fronts that would be a lot better.

I tried some WLS though. That was better. You start off by going into land, talk to the guy, drive to the village, more talking, then an attack, then you capture Connor, then there are mortars to destroy and some other small tasks and you’ll only encounter random enemy patrols if you’re unlucky and most of the south on the island is safe. You actually get things done and it's possible not to die unlike on Altis where one of the first objectives is going straight across the island to a chapel for some intel but you are probably going to encounter a hundred enemies while travelling across the island and die every time.

Last time I played Stratis a long time ago it also had a lot of problems with tons of enemies in the starting area but now it seems better and at least it doesn’t have enemy tanks.

Okay, I'm completely tired of WLA now. All you do is die. Spawning in areas where enemy tanks are going around, dying, dying, dying, teammates dying before they even get close to you, more dying and teleporting across the map.

I’ve decided that the biggest issue is that there are too many enemies randomly moving around with no clear enemy areas and safe areas and there are TOO MANY VEHICLES.

APCs, tanks, all over the place and if you’re infantry you’re absolutely screwed.

If enemies would be concentrated in enemy cities and only be driving in clear patterns between their base and friendly bases they are going to attack and there were defined fronts that would be a lot better.

I tried some WLS though. That was better. You start off by going into land, talk to the guy, drive to the village, more talking, then an attack, then you capture Connor, then there are mortars to destroy and some other small tasks and you’ll only encounter random enemy patrols if you’re unlucky and most of the south on the island is safe. You actually get things done and it's possible not to die unlike on Altis where one of the first objectives is going straight across the island to a chapel for some intel but you are probably going to encounter a hundred enemies while travelling across the island and die every time.

Last time I played Stratis a long time ago it also had a lot of problems with tons of enemies in the starting area but now it seems better and at least it doesn’t have enemy tanks.

I hear you bro. I always save until 500 and buy a tank asap. I just can't play without a tank. Screw airplanes or helicopters they die too quick anyway.

New COOP WLA versions are here (dropbox, withSix, steam). 3 new tasks (Capture area, seek enemy thief/civ murderer), enemy may call mortar/arty strikes if there is related zone inside 4km radius, added option to disable island insertion (in WLA menu), random static armed vehicles in camps, added birds over deadmen and taking off near vehicles/moving men, other tweaks/fixes.

I will try to balanse the difficulty level and work on the spawning rules, but overally I prefer keeping the mission challenging. Dont like the idea that map location player visit would stay safe silent after once captured. Already once you capture camp, there is less enemies near those, but still some armed locals giving trouble and guarded houses in villages.

How do you destroy the attena in the beginning of WLS?

Tried an explosive charge and missiles but it won't go down.

The object is stronger than before or satchels have less power. You may need 2 satchels unless BIS have changed it undestroyable. I have no code running for the antenna myself, only alive check.

New COOP WLA versions are here (dropbox, withSix, steam). 3 new tasks (Capture area, seek enemy thief/civ murderer), enemy may call mortar/arty strikes if there is related zone inside 4km radius, added option to disable island insertion (in WLA menu), random static armed vehicles in camps, added birds over deadmen and taking off near vehicles/moving men, other tweaks/fixes.

I will try to balanse the difficulty level and work on the spawning rules, but overally I prefer keeping the mission challenging. Dont like the idea that map location player visit would stay safe silent after once captured. Already once you capture camp, there is less enemies near those, but still some armed locals giving trouble and guarded houses in villages.

Think about it this way: random levels in video games ever since they first came into existence in 1975-1980 have always been made so that a mission can be played several times.

However, if the random levels are so unbalanced no one ever plays more than the first two missions in your maps then that’s working against you and there’s not even any need for random levels since no one even experiences all the already implemented content to begin with.

The biggest issues I've seen with WLA is that there's too much going on: you're constantly assigned timed missions you can't hope to complete, enemies are everywhere and there are too many vehicles.

I like WLS because it's more balanced in that way and also has a quite good introduction that lets you set foot on the island before you're blasted to pieces, even though sometimes enemies will spawn in the starting area and mess everything up.

The object is stronger than before or satchels have less power. You may need 2 satchels unless BIS have changed it undestroyable. I have no code running for the antenna myself, only alive check.

Okay. I guess maybe the armored vehicle from the vehicle drop could take it down. I was mortar blasted before I could try last time though.

Sneakson has a little bit right. Specially when u capture "important" spots then the CSAT is roll over you without mercy, 10 seconds after you captured the first wave already incoming. Ive managed today to capture the airport hangars left&right of main Airport, 15 minutes later my 7 captured bases/camps were gone and again belongs to csat. No single chance.

I try to add those soon, with also maybe other A2 content. Also work on the difficulty level, the defend/attack events could be little bit more rare. In COOP version I added static vehicles to protect camp which could make those harder for enemy to capture too.

There was ticket for satchel issues made, probably related to the antenna issue. Can be voted here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17191

Please do not touch the difficulty. I've found the current difficulty level to be satisfactory. I've had to be creative in my approaches, in many cases building in advance several outposts near a camp I plan to take to cover possible enemy reinforcement routes. Strategic use of "Call Support" and keeping a few controlled AI's on a mortar tube when I first take a location can help as well. In most cases now a camp I secure will stay that way as long as I drop an OP right on it and ensure it has decent AA/AT defenses. I like it. When I first hit the island I usually have to stay down and quiet for a bit to find a good initial location, and thank god for "hold fire" because I swear my AI teammates have no concern for noise discipline or attracting the attention of every enemy in a 10km radius.

I will keep it challenging but especially make lower difficulties easier. Could have more stuff depending on difficult level. Will see how it comes, partly could come little easier, partly harder. Will add AI mortar/arty strikes from COOP version which can be deadly randomly (while testing could survive 7 strikes when using some cover, but finally wasnt as lucky anymore).

Have you noticed an increased rate of Crashes to Desktop with the latest COOP versions? I'm not sure whether it's the mod update or BIS's update (I'm leaning towards it being a problem on their end). Seems random, sometimes crashes when I save, other times when I'm placing an object, sometimes just because.

There seems to be some issues with new game version, I heard they are working on hotfix. Mission also crashed once for me when in editor. But havent made any bigger changes which could cause it.

Preparing it now, should be ready later today.

I'm going to standby for the BIS hotfix for ARMA. Just lost a bunch of COOP progress due to a crash :( Had just finished two camp takeovers, building 4 new LP/OPs, and claimed a factory and power plant.

Mind you, lots of fun, but not looking forward to doing it again ;).

Back to the mission stuff: I haven't been able to convince the 2S9s or other enemy arty pieces to fire at me. And on the reverse, it seems like the static mortars I can place for defenses never actually operate, is this a MP problem only, or a SP one as well?

New SP WLA version is here (dropbox, steam, withsix). Some new tasks from COOP version and improved scripts (for bit better performance), AI mortar/arty strikes added, ability to destroy guardposts added, events come now more slow with lower difficulties and more start prestige for those, some other tweaks and fixes.

Also the Middle East Irregulars by Drongo69 appear now from hostile villages if having that addon. Will add it to COOP too soon. Would be nice to have also much A2 vehicles in in future. Would probably need separate mission version.

More updates coming soon. Planning to focus more on this SP version again.

Thanks for that! :)

All those additions sound great, especially the A2 stuff.

I gained my personal most frustrating experience with WLA tonight. I was not able to keep the csat clowns out from the bases i captured. There was never a short break, new forces were ready instantly. So much tanks, unbelievable. Killed 2x T-100 and ~ 20 seconds later behind the hill were a T-100 and 2 BTR´s ready to whip my asscrack^^

Map looks like this in such cases:

35nftz.jpg

I will try to work on that for next version.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Released Hotfix for the SP WLA version. There was faulty camp condition, making player capture his own camps back to enemy. Also some forced move orders.

Edited by SaOk

I gained my personal most frustrating experience with WLA tonight. I was not able to keep the csat clowns out from the bases i captured. There was never a short break, new forces were ready instantly. So much tanks, unbelievable. Killed 2x T-100 and ~ 20 seconds later behind the hill were a T-100 and 2 BTR´s ready to whip my asscrack^^

Map looks like this in such cases:

http://abload.de/thumb2/35nftz.jpg

That is what we are facing right now. Never a break from a fight. Just too much untimely enemy reinforcements out there. We must have infinite Titan AP missile or a tank in our control all the time.

I will try to work on that for next version.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Released Hotfix for the SP WLA version. There was faulty camp condition, making player capture his own camps back to enemy. Also some forced move orders.

Hahahaha, and tonight i was wondering what the hell is going on as icaptured a camp and my placed tank turns into a t-100 and smashes my team to death. Thx for the fix mate ;)