Sign in to follow this  
v8_laudi

Helicopter physics impressions - simplified

n7snk, see what was said earlier on this page:

they had never promised that any of the helis that shiped with the game would have it. they said that they would try and have the engine capable of taking the config for it if modders wanted to set it up

fragmachine said that "In last pre-e3 video they stressed that there won't be TKOH FM at release - maybe later. BTW it was posted on chat by one of the developers - Dwarden/DarkDruid or RiE? Can't remember." but I can't find any source for this, and nimrod123 said that he didn't find this claim in the video. :)

beta soon and choppers are same? what the hell?

"Beta soon"? Still alpha. If beta is released and it still is bad then you have my permission to complain.

Anyways ARMA is mainly about infantry so I think they should go for making playing infantry simulator deep before they try making any vehicles overly nerdily realistic.

Estimated ETA for beta is a few weeks from this week, suggesting beta in late June or early July.

New Take On title is to be announced at E3.

A3 not getting Take On flight model any more.

Coincidence?

Disappointed if it is anything but coincidence. :( (first time ever using sad face smiley on BIS forums, hope it is the last)

new helicopters model was the only reason i was going to get arma 3. will had to wait for port then. not interested in arma 2.5

Coincidence?

Disappointed if it is anything but coincidence. :( (first time ever using sad face smiley on BIS forums, hope it is the last)

They hadn't mentioned anything about helicopters in the new Take On so it seems like even the new Take On won't have the Take On helicopter dynamics model.

They hadn't mentioned anything about helicopters in the new Take On so it seems like even the new Take On won't have the Take On helicopter dynamics model.

Oh noes, Take On Tanks.

We wont be getting them either now. /badjk

Coincidence?

What Max Power said -- Dwarden didn't say anything about the new Take On game's content other than a potentially "shocking for many" setting... heck, who knows if the new Take On will even have helicopters. :p

I just gotta say this, if you want to see a simplified flight model, look at the transition from Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 3...

Oh noes, Take On Tanks.

We wont be getting them either now. /badjk

Haha!

Take On has Hinds but I think primarily it's a civil type franchise. I don't think we're in for Take On Tanks or whatever.

To be honest I think the reason they decided to incorporate the FM into arma 3 in the first place is because it would be a popular move.

To be honest I think the reason they decided to incorporate the FM into arma 3 in the first place is because it would be a popular move.

It seems that it hasn't been decided

My guess for the next title announcement: "Take Out...Pizza delivery sim" ;)

It seems that it hasn't been decided

My guess for the next title announcement: "Take Out...Pizza delivery sim" ;)

My recollection is they said maybe, then they said yes, but not in the campaign, then they said yes and it will be default, then they said not at first, then they said maybe not at all.

In the interim, the devs talked about how doing rotorlib dynamics is a black art and a tricky thing to get right.

And there's that one guy who claimed to have talked to the devs about HTR, but presumably anything that came of that is under a NDA... and what I recall was Dr Hladik saying that the FM was still intended for implementation at some point before full release (just not in alpha) but DnA dialed it back to "no guarantee that the BI produced helos will use it".

It also seems that when you land the helicopter sort of, "sticks" to the ground.

Agreed, I noticed this with the Littlebird - when you come in and touch down with any sort of forward air speed, you instantly stick to the ground and stop dead. Helicopters dont do that; if you are on a suitable surface (grass etc) with skids, you will slide for a short distance. Likewise with wheels - if you are on concrete you can actually do rolling landings with a helicopter. This is especially useful if you've just lost your engine and are autorotating in - you cant really get away with coming to a perfect hover when you pull in the collective at the bottom of the dive, so its a flare with an element of forward speed on landing.

Again, I refer you to the assault landing performed by the MH-6s in Black Hawk Down - they come in, flare, then set down with maybe 10kts of forward air speed. They slide along the ground a short distance, the SF blokes hop off, and the MH-6s lift and go into the pattern.

Edited by MattWales

Agreed, I noticed this with the Littlebird - when you come in and touch down with any sort of forward air speed, you instantly stick to the ground and stop dead. Helicopters dont do that; if you are on a suitable surface (grass etc) with skids, you will slide for a short distance. Likewise with wheels - if you are on concrete you can actually do rolling landings with a helicopter. This is especially useful if you've just lost your engine and are autorotating in - you cant really get away with coming to a perfect hover when you pull in the collective at the bottom of the dive, so its a flare with an element of forward speed on landing.

Again, I refer you to the assault landing performed by the MH-6s in Black Hawk Down - they come in, flare, then set down with maybe 10kts of forward air speed. They slide along the ground a short distance, the SF blokes hop off, and the MH-6s lift and go into the pattern.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Agreed, I noticed this with the Littlebird - when you come in and touch down with any sort of forward air speed, you instantly stick to the ground and stop dead. Helicopters dont do that; if you are on a suitable surface (grass etc) with skids, you will slide for a short distance. Likewise with wheels - if you are on concrete you can actually do rolling landings with a helicopter.

This is especially useful if you've just lost your engine and are autorotating in - you cant really get away with coming to a perfect hover when you pull in the collective at the bottom of the dive, so its a flare with an element of forward speed on landing.

that seems to have been fixed in one of the dev patches

I think it should be extended. A helicopter can skid on the ground even at quite high speed and not crash as long as you are pointing straight.

With PhysX there should be more dynamics to collisions. So you can damage the landing gear/skids without crashing the chopper unless you hit sideways.

Edited by EDcase

I think it should be extended. A helicopter can skid on the ground even at quite high speed and not crash as long as you are pointing straight.

With PhysX there should be more dynamics to collisions. So you can damage the landing gear/skids without crashing the chopper unless you hit sideways.

you already can, they reduced the friction coefficent, so as long as come in flat enoguh you can live (the heli might not) when landing at 200km/h

I feared that would happen, especially since the current FM is just pathetic. Seriously BIS, what happened that you had to dump so many promised features over the time? Where did the planed resources go?

I feared that would happen, especially since the current FM is just pathetic. Seriously BIS, what happened that you had to dump so many promised features over the time? Where did the planed resources go?

Game is popular now. Gotta get it out the door before the Steam mob forgets about it.

over estimation of resources? they should also never have said what features might make it into the game, and probably only done the "core" first, then used the time left between the finished core, and launch to add all the things that are nice, but not needed for the game to work

feature creep is what killssmall to midsize projects, as you try to put to much stuff in and either have to cut it, or release a broken game, or release late.

at least they are cutting features, instead of trying to release ontime with every thing in. that never ends well

you know where...

Flight model is one of the reasons why I hate it when people try to call this game a simulator.

Hopefully, we will get the improved flight model at some point... though, there is a much more important (not to be spoken of) issue that is the only thing on my list at this point.