Sign in to follow this  
v8_laudi

Helicopter physics impressions - simplified

Too bad instrument lights still are not suited to be used with NV in ah-9 (just the same as in TOH).

reading this I cant believe any of you have actually played arma 2, ive been playing arma 1 arma 2 and ofp, for many years. for me it feels much better and is far more realistic than the restricted easy to fly arma 2. I have got many days of flying done in the old games and arma 3 is better, much better.

remember this Is a battlefield simulator, not a flying simulator, that's what TOH is for.

no doubt the collision physics need tweaking.

Arma is a combined arm simulation, their focus is on infantry because they don't have unlimited budget, if they had they'd better simulate vehicles and aircrafts. Now they have the chance to have a helicopter simulator using almost the same engine, I don't see why they wouldn't want to implement it asap unless it require heavy re-engineering. If I'd want a soft where aircrafts fly as arcady and easy as BF3, I'd play BF3..

Also maneuvering seems too aerobatic, feels like flying an aeroplane.

http://youtu.be/udN9db3HQW4

Interested to hear some thoughts, thanks.

Looks more like an aileron roll to me...

Arma is a combined arm simulation, their focus is on infantry because they don't have unlimited budget, if they had they'd better simulate vehicles and aircrafts. Now they have the chance to have a helicopter simulator using almost the same engine, I don't see why they wouldn't want to implement it asap unless it require heavy re-engineering. If I'd want a soft where aircrafts fly as arcady and easy as BF3, I'd play BF3..
Re: Real Virtuality -- assume the worst, it probably would require more reengineering than Maruk would allow. :p But DnA did say that the for-the-most-part lack of combat in the Take On Helicopters concept/campaign was a factor in designing the TOH flight model.

So A3's big issues right now are that acceleration is too high from a relatively horizontal takeoff or lift and that the aircraft doesn't drop like a brick or fall down a bit when pulling back due to weight?

Note I'm not talking about the complex flight model from TOH wherein adjusting the collective would require more or less torque along with pitch due to the disks effecting one another or the rotor overspeed (though I imagine that would change peoples opinions of the KA-60 being a jet hehehe)

I will be very dissapointed if there is no taxi capability when more helo's come in however.

Edited by NodUnit

Can't wait for TOH flight model.

Love the 5 minutes of inverted hover. :cc: Obviously Bohemia is putting there effort into the real flight model and didn't spend much time with the placeholder. Thank God they are working on the TOH flight model implementation.

When it's a placeholder why would they? :p Just like how the grenade implementation is but a placeholder -- albeit "in the right direction" as far as Jay Crowe is concerned (ironically some people were calling it less realistic than even COD).

It's important to understand though, if it's a matter of control sensitivity or something physics related.

Yes, I find the Ka-60 too easy to fly, because of its speed, maneuverability and all the other details already mentioned. In terms of the controls, joystick, pads or M&K, I believe it's a matter of personal preference when it comes to sensitivity.

One of the things (I believe it has been already reported) is the fact that when you have analog collective, it's stays at around 80% of it's full power when compared to just pressing "Q".

The little bird is a little better, still, a tad too fast.

We need more choppers please!

=)

I think the helis fly to arcade like. I hope BIS is still going to give us the TOH fligthmodel in A3.

I find it damn near impossible to quickly bleed off speed or altitude. In the littlebird I can do it by flying upside down and holding Z (ridiculous, but works very well) but in the opfor chopper that just doesn't work, not as agile as the littlebird.

Ok, I guess it is not a bug, but will the devs improve the helicopter physics? I haven't read through the thread, but as noted in the last posts, the heli accelerates too fast, it feels almost like flying in 2x speed. I.e. when trying to stop, you almost suddenly have 100 knots backwards. When applying cyclic forward/backward it is going up to speed too fast! Also the rudder seems to get stuck sometimes, trying to rudder right/left at low speed, nothing happens, have to repress my assigned button but several times just to get at a flow in rotation. I'm using TH HOTAS with throttle, but I yet haven't assigned the rudder to an axis, just using the buttons on my throttle.

Also I'm using the TrackIR. Will there be a feature to lean right/left to get a better view outside, i.e. checking obstacles and landing point when landing?

As we move into beta we may/should be getting helicopter changes... admittedly with all of the "infantry focus" talk surrounding the alpha I'm actually not surprised that it wasn't high priority until now, as unfortunate as it was.

Actually, I "scimmed" through the thread now (it didn't take as long time as I thought). Of course, the prio is on the infantry, but I just hope the heli-physics will be fixed in the time before release, so it is not just as it is, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants better heli-physics. :)

Vantskruv, rest assured that the beta is coming soon, after E3, possibly by the end of the month or early July... unfortunately if I recall, there wasn't much of anything confirmed on the physics changes, although they're adding more helicopters ("Mi-48 Kajman", "CH-49 Mohawk", "RAH-66 Comanche" and "UH-60 Ghosthawk").

The only two dev statements I recall on a adopting the TOH flight model are here.

IIRC devs said TOH FM is not coming even in full release.

The promise "we will add it in a patch post-release" was used but same was said for CCGM multiplayer many years ago.

The linked-to statement was only that BI's own helicopters might not use the TOH FM, where did you see a further retraction saying that the TOH FM wouldn't be happening at all?

In last pre-e3 video they stressed that there won't be TKOH FM at release - maybe later.

BTW it was posted on chat by one of the developers - Dwarden/DarkDruid or RiE? Can't remember.

Edited by fragmachine

This is nice example how helis are handled and how it feels and looks like from the cocpit:

[/color]In last pre-e3 video they stressed that there won't be TKOH FM at release - maybe later.

BTW it was posted on chat by one of the developers - Dwarden/DarkDruid or RiE? Can't remember.

they had never promised that any of the helis that shiped with the game would have it. they said that they would try and have the engine capable of taking the config for it if modders wanted to set it up

That's my recollection of where we left off at as far as the state of the flight model, but it seems that fragmachine implied that they recently announced a change of mind and retracted further than what DnA said?

That's my recollection of where we left off at as far as the state of the flight model, but it seems that fragmachine implied that they recently announced a change of mind and retracted further than what DnA said?

thats what i think he means as well, but i heard nothing on the live stream, (watched later by twitch) unless there is a actually post on this, i remain hopefull for the people that really cares sake.

i personally won't use it but i'm sure other will