Sign in to follow this  
v8_laudi

Helicopter physics impressions - simplified

Just a quick question, i bought the alpha on release day, played for two days, and stopped until yesterday, to check up on the beta. Is the helicopter FM a subject to change, or is it final? It's actually a huge deal for me, since i would not switch to Arma 3 if it was. By no means do i need a 100% entirely accurate realistic FM, but what you get in Arma 3 is kinda a joke. It's no fun at all, helicopters don't feel heavy, somehow. They only feel restricted by a "max-joystick-angle", but not heavy.

So, yeah.. Is it final, and/or, can it be modded afterwards (i have absolutely zero idea about what a modder can change)?

I would imagine that everything in the beta is subject to change. Whether the FM is changed, and whether it moves towards something you consider to be more appropriate, who knows. Since they just changed it, I would imagine that indicates it's still being worked on.

"Jiri did confirm that the amazing flight dynamics of the Take On Helo series will *not* be included."

Pfft who cares about improved FM? We got underwater combat now :D

I was looking forward to the TOH flight mechanics.

You make me sad BIS.

:unhappy:

Yeah it's really too bad that Arma 3 will be abandoned right after release and no further work or features will be put in :icon_frown:

Seriously though guys, I know that the team wants this to be in Arma 3 as soon as possible (remember that Joris's baby is TOH) but there are various reasons it just won't be possible to make it in the initial release. This does however not mean the feature has been cancelled completely. That's nothing new and this article doesn't give you any new information.

BIS isn't making you sad, they are working and working and working but you have to realize there's only so much the amount of people of usually a marketing department, can do with a game.

Nonetheless, we have seen some big surprises already, so who knows what's possible :)

Also remember that this is not an imageboard ;)

Yeah it's really too bad that Arma 3 will be abandoned right after release and no further work or features will be put in :icon_frown:

Seriously though guys, I know that the team wants this to be in Arma 3 as soon as possible (remember that Joris's baby is TOH) but there are various reasons it just won't be possible to make it in the initial release. This does however not mean the feature has been cancelled completely. That's nothing new and this article doesn't give you any new information.

BIS isn't making you sad, they are working and working and working but you have to realize there's only so much the amount of people of usually a marketing department, can do with a game.

Nonetheless, we have seen some big surprises already, so who knows what's possible :)

Also remember that this is not an imageboard ;)

I understand. :)

I still have hope tho.

BIS is the greatest company in the gaming industry (my opinion) ,they manage to do epic things.And i know that they won't let us down,and that there's still a lot to see.

Well, i'll live if they will drastically improve the present model, indeed the 10fps cost might be a bit too much, but still a bit sad news.

Well now I regret buying this game. If I knew improved FM will not be featured at all, I would pass this time. I am out of here. Bye BiS.

From the beginning of this year:

But one caution: we do not yet know we will make our stock helicopters use this flight model. "just adding" a RTD config file is not quite so easy when you want to simulate a specific helicopter (in comparison, we used a physicist for at least one month per helicopter in the past). So, we are trying to make the technology work inside the engine at some point beyond Alpha, but we cannot promise shipping with RTD-enabled helicopters even in Q3 2013. When you know I was the Project Lead for TKOH, I hope you can understand such decisions are not always based on what we want, but what we are able to do in time.

I think it's quite clearly understandable that it is indeed planned but due to realistic time evaluations, it's just not something

we are able to do in time.

Again, that article does not say you the idea has been scrapped entirely but it won't make it in the initial release. That's the same statement as above.

Arma isn't a game you won't be interested in anymore after a few weeks and you won't "regret" buying it if that was your only motivation, but due to the ressources available, it might just take a little bit longer until it's in the game.

For your interest, here is a small collection of factors why it's not that easy to implement and why it takes time

Some of the factors involved:

• Features developed in TKOH do not copy across without further work. TKOH is mostly non-combat, which reduces a lot of design complications.
  • PhysX and RTD do not conflict necessarily, but they also do not automatically merge. We need to teach them to cooperate and behave ;) Practical example: AI flies a helicopter (this uses the PX-based model), then a player takes over control (this would switch to RTD) and all physical forces need to be correctly transitioned.
  • As said before: doing a flight model correctly for every type of copter is a lot of work.
  • Once a (campaign) scenario is designed using a certain flight model, we cannot just swap in another model. It affects balance, difficulty and timings.

I don't care about TKOH model specifically - just improve the current model and make it more challenging and I'm fine with it.

Lets not forget the goal should not necessarily be to use TKOH if that is a problem, but rather make vehicles as realistic as possible within the limitations, that's all people want (at least the long term fans).

I feared that would happen, especially since the current FM is just pathetic.

Please note this is still not set in stone yet.

There is the chance the TOH flight model might not be available in default choppers (possibility to break official content/missions/etc) but available for community to add themselves. Although, nothing is certain at this moment.

There is the chance the TOH flight model might not be available in default choppers (possibility to break official content/missions/etc) but available for community to add themselves. Although, nothing is certain at this moment.

All this uncertainty is killing me......:confused2:

So what was Jiri saying? :confused: Seeing as what you're stating is essentially what DnA said four months ago before the alpha release (that the TOH flight model might be in, even if only "for use by community modders") whereas apparently Jiri told people at E3 that it just wouldn't be in. Was Jiri quoted/paraphrased incorrectly?

Is it so hard to get an official statement on this?

If it is going to be integrated at a later date,well that's awesome,but if it is never going to make it in or if it can't somehow it would be nice just to know the official line.

Heres hoping,

Mick.

Therein lies the problem: neokika's stating what DnA said four months ago, which was essentially "we don't know and we can't guarantee".

Is it so hard to get an official statement on this?

I'm not sure what you want. In the past couple of pages there has been some official statements from DNA, and then there was a statement made to simhq from Jiri, and I think they also mentioned it in the e3 live streams. There have been numerous official statements and they are all saying no, at least for now.

Having just reverted from the 'Dev Build' to the 'Beta' I have to say that the helicopter controls seem way different.

Has there been a change in the helicopter physics (Added weight) with the Dev build, as the helicopters no longer felt like it was modeled on a 'Bee or Wasp' and seem to fly alot better.

I have to map my throtle (X52) to the 'analogue collective' in settings as getting any lift with the normal collective was minimal...I then adjusted the that throttle in settings to how I liked it and felt normal. Now switching back to the 'normal' beta build (Still with the same settings on the throttle) my helicopter just shoots up/down like there is no weight.

If there has been an adjustment to the physics model on choppers will this come out as an update with the beta soon? (Being part of a PVP community were are changing our tournament from ARMA2 to ARMA3 and I usually am a chopper pilot with both armies, depending on the campaign..but with the current modeling of the choppers...I can see having proper control over a chopper in a tactical situation impossible....**Can't use the 'dev build' with our upcoming tournament as it's not fair on all the others)

Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed the difference in the helicopters between the 'Beta' & 'Dev Build'?

I'm not sure what you want. In the past couple of pages there has been some official statements from DNA, and then there was a statement made to simhq from Jiri, and I think they also mentioned it in the e3 live streams. There have been numerous official statements and they are all saying no, at least for now.

Sorry man,maybe I should have worded it a little better.

I was just wanting to know,as it looks unlikely now to be in the game at release,is it at least planned for the future? Or is "we are not sure" the answer?

Basically is it or isn't it going to make it in sometime?

Regards,

Mick. :)

How could a more realistic FM break Missions? :confused:

Please elaborate.