Sign in to follow this  
Benbone

ArmA 3 and TrackIR, how to make it work ?

Dear Gentlemen,

In the new ArmA3 Alpha, we can enable the TrackIR device in the control options. In the bindings under "View" I can see the assignments by default already configured for "analogue look" (left, right, up, down, etc). But unfortunately, I can not make it to work in the game. Is thisa feature to be implemented later or am I doing anything wrong ? As in ArmA 2 I start my trackIR software before the ArmA game. In the trackIR software I can varify that all TrackIR funktions are working. Is there anything else which I have missed to turn on ?

Thank you very much for your help!

Benbone from United Nations Army Clan

I also have TrackIR. Enabling it in the control options was enough to make it work immediately. When was the last time you updated the TrackIR games list?

Dear Myke,

I use TrackIR 4 with software version 4.1 and a custom profile, which I use for all the games alike. It works fine with all other ArmA games. But your hint is valid, I will update the TrackIr software from Naturalpoint, maybe this helps. Thank you for your reply :-)

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Dear Myke,

I updated my version 4 software from TrackIR to the version 5. Now everything is working. Thank you very much for your post! It may help others who run into the same thing as well. Thanks a lot!

I have TrackIR 3 (without the vector license).

I've updated to the newest version of the software (version 4.2.039) and I still can't get my TrackIR to work. It's recognized in the settings and everything is set up but it just doesn't work in-game.

Is it working for anyone else with TrackIR 3 (without the vector license)?

I had to update the software to get it working for my TrackIR 5

Leimboy: It may be that the v4 software is not compatible for some reason. :( Hope u get it working

It seems to constantly change to the default profile while playing so I had to lock it ON.

Thanks EDcase. It may be that the software is not supported (maybe only in alpha) or maybe NaturaPoint doesn't support that old version anymore with new games and so on. Oh well, I've waited for an excuse to upgrade my TrackIR anyway ;)

I'd also like to use Trackir 4 software with Arma3. I have gone to v5 before and then gone back to v4, I cant remember what it was that caused me to do that though, but I don't feel like finding out again either :).

On the subject of Track IR, will we be getting (is there?) Six degrees of freedom (6DoF) in vehicles/helos etc? Does Take on Helis have 6DoF?

Yeah I'd update your GamesList at least, otherwise TrackIR won't recognise Arma3. If that still doesn't work then use V5... I haven't experienced any problems with the latest version yet....

Yes I'd notice I'd lost my 'look-zoom' capability. This is just an alpha thing and not user incompetence right? I tried binding the 'zoom in/zoom out' controls to my trackIR but the results were less then impressive...

I'd also like to use Trackir 4 software with Arma3. I have gone to v5 before and then gone back to v4, I cant remember what it was that caused me to do that though, but I don't feel like finding out again either :).

On the subject of Track IR, will we be getting (is there?) Six degrees of freedom (6DoF) in vehicles/helos etc? Does Take on Helis have 6DoF?

Edited by javelin10

I also had to update and then had everything running well.

Currently looking at a potential link with TrackIR zoom and multiple key pushes for things like movement, firing and looking left = crash

Mine actually worked right off the bat, didn't even have to enable it. Maybe I already had the correct software?

(TrackIR 5 + Pro Clip here)

I gave in and installed V5. Works ok now :). However it still doesn't have it's own "Title profile" and it associates with the "default" Game profile. Better than nothing though.

Javelin10; yes, for me Zoom by TrackIR was not assigned by default. I don't mind this though, I usually turn it off. (edit see this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148565-No-Z-axis-for-TrackIR )

I still would like to know about 6 Degrees of Freedom though, for vehicles etc.

Hi,

for some reason I'm not allowed to open a new topic for my problem. So I'm sorry for digging out this one.

I want to use headtracking for the freelook-mode (hold ALT or double tap ALT to toggle). I use FaceTrackNoIR with a PS3 Cam (faceAPI, EWMA Filter, Freetrack 2.0 protocoll). This system seems to work, in Arma 3 ingame menu for controlls, TrackIR and FreeTrack are available as controllers. When I activate one of them and start the tracking software I'm in the freelook-mode and the headtracking works. The problem is, that I can't leave the freelook-mode with pressing ALT once or twice. I'm stuck in freelook mode and can't return to the normal mouse-aim-mode. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys.

I've been trying to find the best answer for all of this however massive google searching and even browsing youtube, reddit, and this site, I have no help on this. I have a trackir5 and it's incredible, however I find myself consistently wanting a nice fine tune tweak. I was wondering if anyone has a profile setup or suggestions for the best settings for strictly infantry gameplay.  I 100% p[lay infantry online and coop all the time, this has been useful for me greatly but I would like tweaks. I will also admit I have no understanding of what any of the settings even do so this is 100% stock settings since the get go for me. I can find myself constantly raising my sights and having to quickly adjust to find the reticle, this is something I've been quick with but it's a step back from sight acquisition without trackir. Please can someone point me in the correct direction, videos, profiles, or just write a trackir for dummies for me. I would greatly appreciate it and I also thank you in advance. 

I have business to do. But I may have a minute later. I'll record my tir5 settings and pm them to you. I use it for both infantry and piloting when needed.

@jtrivs....I have tweaked my profile on many occasions but always come back to dslyecxi's profile, if you haven't checked it out yet it's definitely worth a try

I don't know if you TrackIR users are doing this, but it's essential for me – to make the snap area in the center larger so I'm not floating around all the time. (see diagram) Also, you might want to designate a mouse thumb button to the "Re-center" key in case you get too far off center.* Cheers!

TMT1QPw.png

Thank you so far for the responses, I have seen  "dslyecxi's profile" My understanding is he was a pilot and that was his flying profile, I also am not exactly sure of how to take his profile, I'm assuming I copy and paste that somewhere in trackir settings.

Teabagginpeople that would be beyond appreciated if you took time to assist.

Kridin, I am sure intrigued by what your getting at however I have little understanding of that graph and everything that it's capable of lol

http://imgur.com/a/VHFNH

http://imgur.com/a/VHFNH

Also just trying to add his profile, I am clueless as to where and how.

So after quite some time, I figured it out on how to load his profile to my folder haha, I feel dumb. Now I have to test it. I'm trying hard to do this all on my own, I hate bothering people but you know how it is when you hit wall after wall.

*EDIT Grrrr it's in the naturalpoint profiles folder as a xml document, yet it doesn't show in my trackir application under profiles. What do I do now?

**EDIT So after much digging, I found that after a 5.3 update on trackir the profiles are now pulled from a different location and I couldn't find that location also because I didn't have access to "HIDDEN FILES" on my pc, so I had to type %appdata% in the start menu to see the naturalpoint folder to see the new profiles location. This may be obvious for you guys but maybe someday someone else will read this and be in my shoes and this can help them. I will now try his profile.

*Update: I have tested his profile and with a recenter key on my mouse, it has made everything I've been picky about with trackir5 and infantry movement for the past YEAR a gamechanger. Totally just changed everything, I'm literally blown away. I can't believe I've been using this any other way. 

Thanks guys.