Sign in to follow this  
smokedog3para

Arma3 .exe error

Hi all I have been getting an error when trying to start the alpha I have vista with sp2 and my pc has the specs required to run A3.

I have installed it with steam and checked integrity of the files they are ok but when launching I get this [arma 3.exe unable to locate component] This application has failed to start because d3d11.dll was not found Re-install the application may fix this problem.

I have reinstalled 5 times now and it just comes back it points towards Direct x i have dx10.1 that came with vista sp2 I have reinstalled DX and done diagnostics on DX it says its fine I have also downloaded the missing file and placed it in the system32 folder of vista with no luck so, I am out of idears can any one help to solve this problem. cheers SmokeDog

Did you go to the microsoft site to download the dx11 installer? you need dx11, vista should be able to afaik but you have to install manually.

^indeed

I get this error but i am surprised installing dx11 is the fix cos i thought dx10 was the minimum spec.

I have a dx10 card (260 gtx) which i understand meets the requirements - can't you simply set launch options in steam to run arma3 as dx10? ('-dx10' in launch options dialogue box - or is this wrong?)

hi ive gone to microsoft to download dx says its up to date so i ran the arma3 dx install in steam folder and still says the same, now i have updated some windows updates but it stopped updating on the 46 file and crashed now i can no longer get in my operating system as it keeps trying to uninstall updates its been going 4 hours now so think vista is going to need an install again.

lol yeah the same.

i manually placed the d3d.dll file in the game directory but i received this error -

'the procedure entry point CreateDXGIFactory1 could not be located in the dynamic link library dxgi.dll'

i cant really keep re-writing dx system files so obviously its a bigger issue.

Interesting thing is that i noticed i had vista SP1 - even thou i was sure i installed sp2 previously. So i updated again and after an hour of being updated or so my windows shut down with the failed to install 'service pack - uninstalling updates' message - then back to sp1.

So yeah, its hard to deal with arma problems when clearly you have larger DX/Vista issues.

But id like to know if the game is trying to launch in DX11, and whether running in DX10 could at least get me in.

I have exactly the same problem on 32-bit Vista. I have a DX10-compatible nVidia card. I've tried various launch flags, but none of them seem to work. :/ Kind of a bummer right now. I reinstalled nVidia drivers, checked if DirectX was up-to-date, checked the game files,... everything I could think of.

as suggested in another thread in this section, you need dx11 to run the game but can use a dx10 card, albeit with certain dx11 features switched off.

no good for me ofc until i install a new os as my current vista install is an absolute wreck, and wont accept the updates required to support dx11

Yes, that was indeed it. While I was running Vista SP2, DX didn't want to update until all system updates were installed (something I usually don't do because... well Microsoft...).