Sign in to follow this  
d3lta

Arma 3 Alpha crashing with Radeons

Anyone having BSOD crashes using 7870 cards needs to read this:

http://www.behardware.com/news/12705/black-screens-and-radeon-hd7870-a-solution.html

I've spent over a month backing out various overclocks and swapping components suspecting I'd messed something up during re-casing my gaming PC and adding CPU water-cooling.

Turns out my Sapphire 7870 2GB "Ghz Edition" comes from the earliest and most badly affected batch.

Never had any of the posted issues. Editor is fine, game is fine... 7970 i7(x58) even OC the heck out of the card , did 1360z and 1580 mem, for hours.. But i still get low frames when low frames happen.( certain areas of the map, looking certain directions...). The cool part is that even when i hit a 20fps spot/area my game is smooth and playable. I wouldnt even know if i didnt have Fraps running.

The 7870 issue is real and anybody who has a old one should hurry up and RMA

Update.

I get to test a RAdeon R9 280X and the problem gone. back to HD 7970, the problem (BSOD) return's when a hit the MAP key sometimes. Now, I'm using Windows 8.1-64 bits.

no other game gives problem with my ASUS HD 7970 , including BF4, Metro LL, BF3, FarCry3, Max Payne, Bioshock, AssCreed series, SplinterCellBlackList.....

below the crash problem on my display.

this is a great mystery.:mad:

qbk6.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Update 2. the problem happens only when I use FSAA and ATOC:

1x70.jpg

Update.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

[/color]Update 2. the problem happens only when I use FSAA and ATOC:

I am suffering the exact same problem Delta:

However -> I am using a Asus r9-280X TOP CU.....

Screen looks exactly the same when it occurs. I have also found this problem in World of Tanks on certain maps.

Doesnt happen in any benchmark tool (3dMark, Furmark, Valley, Heaven) and confirmed other areas are behaving - Prime95, memtest86 passed

Have tried the various iteratiosn of the latest beta drivers & previous "stable drivers" with no success.

Will have a play with the SSAO\TCAO options you described as fixing it :)

Update.

[/color]Update 2. the problem happens only when I use FSAA and ATOC:

I am suffering the exact same problem Delta:

However -> I am using a Asus r9-280X TOP CU.....

Screen looks exactly the same when it occurs. I have also found this problem in World of Tanks on certain maps.

Doesnt happen in any benchmark tool (3dMark, Furmark, Valley, Heaven) and confirmed other areas are behaving - Prime95, memtest86 passed

Have tried the various iteratiosn of the latest beta drivers & previous "stable drivers" with no success.

Will have a play with the SSAO\TCAO options you described as fixing it :)

WOWWWW!! I'm tested on R9-280 here and no problem, ARMA3 run's fine with FSAA8X + All Tree+Glass..... But, R9 280X and 7970GHz uses Tahiti XT's GPUs, I think that FSAA has any bug running in GCN architecture.

Please Bohemia, help us.... =(

no issues of your kind with my 7970, with any ingame setting... Now if your using the CCC and changing the 3D settings from there...?

Are you using a ASUS utility?

no issues of your kind with my 7970, with any ingame setting... Now if your using the CCC and changing the 3D settings from there...?

Are you using a ASUS utility?

no, CCC is default. I'm not using ASUS utility. VGA Clock is default. The cooling system vga of mestoth is DirectCU2, the same of me.

Ya, I am using factory stock settings, which are admittedly overclocked from the reference cards, but comes from the factory that way.

r9-280x-dc2t-3gd5-v2 is the exact model (https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5V2)

Tahiti core. Stock settings are:

GPU Clock 1070

GPU volt: 1225

Memroy Clock: 6000

Mem Volt 1516

I intitally was NOT using the asus GPU tweak utilty, however I actually downloaded it yesterday or the day before whilst trying to find out what the problem was!

I even tried downclocking the card back to "ATI" reference specs, to see if that would solve the problem, No dice though :O

I am currently debating about RMA'ing the card. I have the same problem in World of Tanks, however only on certain maps... (which I didnt use to have on my old ATI card, 5770 from my previous PC), however the more I look at this problem, even if it turns out to be a bohemia coding bug that is exacerbating it, the card is still failing to perform as expected\desribed.

Essentially: I think BI has possibly inadvertently found a fault in GPU architecture :O

Ya, I am using factory stock settings, which are admittedly overclocked from the reference cards, but comes from the factory that way.

Essentially: I think BI has possibly inadvertently found a fault in GPU architecture :O

I doubt a little that bug is GPU architecture fail (others gamers dont have problem), I think that problem is bad support, I don't see BI and AMD with partnership to developing games (specific otimizations).

I experienced a first crash today, and it was rather severe. Had played for a while, when it all of a sudden froze, and it appaired as my computer froze as well. The most weird part is, a bunch of big zeros and ones rendered on top of the scene, before a notification about the video driver being restarted appaired.

Then CPU load was stuck at 100 percent, even if task manager didn't list any application or file using more than less than one percent. I had to reboot to get it down on regular loads again.

I doubt a little that bug is GPU architecture fail (others gamers dont have problem), I think that problem is bad support, I don't see BI and AMD with partnership to developing games (specific otimizations).

Delta, I suffer this problem in World of Tanks also:

when it has to render water\long distance, specifically with water (SSAO i believe) and grass(Atoc i believe).

Lots of reports of similar problems in BF4 with trees & water.

Lots of reports of similar problems in BF4 with trees & water.

No problem here in BF4, ULTRA+MSAA4X run's fine.

a lot of crashs today, now, crashing with fsaa off . crazy crazy crazy

Try using a tool called GPU-Z to see if your graphics card is being used when your machine is idle. If it is, it could be a bitcoin mining program causing your crashes.

If it isnt, watch the temperatures as you play the game, if it goes over 80c, you've got a heat problem.

Try using a tool called GPU-Z to see if your graphics card is being used when your machine is idle. If it is, it could be a bitcoin mining program causing your crashes.

If it isnt, watch the temperatures as you play the game, if it goes over 80c, you've got a heat problem.

Thanks Furret. My temperature during full rendering is 60-65 degrees. No bitcoin mining here, idle temps is low (30-40).

ARMA 3 is the only game with problem here. :confused:

Try downloading the directx redistributible and running it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35

I revised the instalation of directx redistributible on Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. No problems.

Does it crash in the editor or in a specific mission?

no mission specific. not in editor. menu yes but is rare.

Are you playing multiplayer?

single or multiplayer crashs too.

Edited by D3lta

Hi Delta,

I have just recieved my r9 280X back from RMA with Asus, which they "Repaired"...wtf what the repaired i dont know.

Only briefly jumped on (about 20 mins) this arvo -> returned to full settings etc, no issues.

Ill post again in a couple after the weekend which will give me a chance to mess about a bit more, but previously, I could make it hard lock instantly by opening the map.....

Great news mestoth. I stopped use my hd7970, now, temporarily, I'm using a nvcard, until the fix. My radeon is out of warranty. =(

Surely not Delta,

Your using a Asus HD 7970, I thought they all came with 2 or 3 year warranty?

Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years

Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121499

& http://www.anandtech.com/show/5319/amd-radeon-hd-7970-launch-recap

Your local retailer might be giving you grief, but you can apply directly to Asus and skip the middle man (faster IMHO anyway!)

(whilst waiting for a mod approval delta due to links) additional post:

Asus HD 7970 were like 3 year warranty. I doubt its out of warranty. Check links on my post above when it gets approved.

Contact asus direct if you need to

(whilst waiting for a mod approval delta due to links) additional post:

Asus HD 7970 were like 3 year warranty. I doubt its out of warranty. Check links on my post above when it gets approved.

Contact asus direct if you need to

Ok mestoth, I understand, I will check this option. Very Thanks.

Best regards.

Now, I'm testing Arma 3 with a Radeon R9 290X, crashs a lot, red screen, bluscreen, etc...... Sorry Bohemia, but, your AMD support is terrible.

I hopeless now....

Edited by D3lta