Sign in to follow this  
Fragmagnet

Skirmish module tutorial?

Can someone make a tutorial for the skirmish modules explaining how they work.

It's obvious that they make enemies, I just can't get them to work.

Tried synchronizing with the player? Alot of modules are dependent on the player (for distance checks) and need to be synchronized with F5.

I worked out how to do it

Drop a Skirmish - Init module using F7.

Then drop a rectangle marker (using F6) and call it something, like "xxx".

Then drop Skirmish - Dynamic Spawn module down (F7 again), and modify the following settings in the module:

- Marker: "xxx" including the quotes

- Hide Marker: Yes - this removes the rectangle marker placed earlier

- Debug: Spawn Positions

Last step, Synchronize (F5) the two Skirmish modules.

Thats pretty much it.

So is it like A2's Ambient combat module?

I'm more interested in that Dynamic Patrol module in there. If you figure out what is used to mark the routes, I'll love you forever.

Everytime I use the module, I hit preview, my game is pure black, nothing is heppening.

Everytime I use the module, I hit preview, my game is pure black, nothing is heppening.

Did you synchronise the 'dynamic spawn' module with the 'init' module? I did that by mistake and got the same black screen - I fixed it by synchronising it with the player instead.

Unfortunately, however, it doesn't seem to work for me. No enemies spawn.

I am having the same problem. I get a black screen and nothing else happens. And when i sync the modules with the player, no units spawn.

I'm more interested in that Dynamic Patrol module in there. If you figure out what is used to mark the routes, I'll love you forever.

I have been looking through the scripts associated with the module a little and I think you might need to just sync the module to units that you have already placed in the editor and then it creates a dynamic patrol based on that. I think there are three route options but I cannot dig in too much of what there are because I think they are based on AI FSMs. In the module's init line you can try to enter this to enter into debug mode and see what the units are doing and what their route is, but again, I think you need to place units and sync them first.

this setVariable ["Debugs",2];

This is all untested and theoretical.

I got a black screen when I did not put quotes around the marker name.

Edited by Wolffy.au

It works. I also had black screen when I forgot the quotes

Sync the "Init" and "Dynamic Spawn" and input the marker name WITH quotes.

Besides that it does nothing special. It spawns a squad and thats it. Tried hooking it up with the patrol module. No luck so far.

It works. I also had black screen when I forgot the quotes

Sync the "Init" and "Dynamic Spawn" and input the marker name WITH quotes.

Besides that it does nothing special. It spawns a squad and thats it. Tried hooking it up with the patrol module. No luck so far.

Shame it doesn't work ( much)

Is there any hope for the old modules to make a return? ambient combat and secops are the dogs nuts when it comes to arma 2 missions.

Hmmm what's the skirmish - POI (assuming point of interest) module. Maybe it will make the squads go there.

My understanding is POI and Reinforcements work together - I will try to work them out and post my findings on BIKI.

Just an FYI on the black screen, it is caused by use of the titleCut command to block the player's view while the module(s) is initialized. There are a couple subsequent waitUntil commands used so it is possibly if the module(s) doesn't initialize correctly the titleCut never ends.

So this is going to be a dumb question: What does this module actually do?

When I use it, it seems like to that it just makes whatever squad spawned in (in this case, it was a full rifle squad) kind of just walk around the marker. I can't see what use it is intended to have.

Hi,

Every time I put quotes around the name on the dynamic spawn, I get a message that it is an invalid invariable name. When there are no quotes it works, but I get black screen.

So this is going to be a dumb question: What does this module actually do?

When I use it, it seems like to that it just makes whatever squad spawned in (in this case, it was a full rifle squad) kind of just walk around the marker. I can't see what use it is intended to have.

I think the idea is to use the dynamic patrol module as well so they'll patrol after spawning in. Just add marker names to the "route #X" fields. (e.g. ["wp_1","wp_2","wp_3"]) then just place the markers as if they were waypoints. This is only theoretical though because I've only made pre-placed units use the module. Maybe syncing the spawn module to it would work?

EDIT: Ahh I see what you mean. You just have to change your marker to rectangle/ellipse and set it to the whatever size you want. Then the module will randomly generate WP's within the marker radius. It's like a built-in DAC mod. :D

Edited by Clarkey1

Hi,

Every time I put quotes around the name on the dynamic spawn, I get a message that it is an invalid invariable name. When there are no quotes it works, but I get black screen.

You need quotes around the marker name and make sure you are using the exact same name.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Anyone know what the Skirmish Reinforcements does and how one can get it to work?

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

I think the idea is to use the dynamic patrol module as well so they'll patrol after spawning in. Just add marker names to the "route #X" fields. (e.g. ["wp_1","wp_2","wp_3"]) then just place the markers as if they were waypoints. This is only theoretical though because I've only made pre-placed units use the module. Maybe syncing the spawn module to it would work?

EDIT: Ahh I see what you mean. You just have to change your marker to rectangle/ellipse and set it to the whatever size you want. Then the module will randomly generate WP's within the marker radius. It's like a built-in DAC mod. :D

They have waypoints with just the spawn module. I'm guessing the patrol module will give you finer control over specific waypoints and routes that you might want them to take or include with the ones generated by the spawn module (sort of like how DAC works).

Similar to how Wolffy shows for a dynamic spawn, To create a patrol:

1) First create and name markers at each of your desired patrol points, similar to how one would set waypoints for a unit.

2) Create a unit.

3) Create a Skirmish - Init module and a Skirmish - Dynamic Patrol module.

4) Sync the Init and Patrol modules to each other, and each of them to the unit that will be doing the patrol.

5) Double click the Patrol module to open it's details, and in the Route #1 box, enter an array of the marker names, i.e. ["marker1","marker2","marker3"].

6) Test it out. Your unit should start patrolling from marker 1 to 2 to 3, and back.

Notes:

1) By default, if you sync to a group leader, the group will proceed in a tight column formation.

2)If the Apply To box in the patrol details window is set to Groups of Synchronized Objects, then synchronizing to a subordinate unit in a group will cause the entire group to patrol. If changed to Synchronized Objects Only, however, and you synchronize to a subordinate member of a group, it appears nothing happens, while synchronizing to a group leader will cause the full group to patrol.

3) Having multiple routes set in the patrol module's details will result in the route being selected randomly, but all units synchronized to that module will follow the same route, and start by heading directly to the first marker.

****EDIT****

4) It appears that only the first Init module placed will function. i.e., if you give a different init module for each patrol module you have, only the first will function.

Edited by TraxusIV
discovery!

The existing question is how can we make the unit which is spawned via Skirmish-Spawn patrol randomly with Skirmish-Patrol instead of patroling inside his spawning zone. Synchronized with trigger list doesn't work properly. A full supposition should be a dynamic battlefield involved both sides with a perfect match with POI, Spawn, Patrol and Reinforcement.

I guess I need to find breakthrough via function viewer to know the relationship among all possible parameters.

Is there a template mission for this, I tried to figure out how it works but I can't do it without the blackscreen?

Cheers and thanks anyway.

Edited by Papanowel

Hi all

The problem I am having with these modules is this.

I want to set up some kind of activation trigger to control when the Dynamic spawn occurs.

Getting the units to spawn is fairly easy.

I have created the marker which dictates where the unit/units will spawn and patrol within.

Synchronizing the 'Init' module to the Dynamic spawn module works fine... But it seems to instantly spawn the units.

I would like it to only spawn OPFOR units when BLUFOR enter a certain area.

The latest thing I tried was to set the condition of presence of the Init module to triggerActivated sptrig1

sptrig1 is the name of the trigger I placed that I wish to activate the whole process with. Anyway, nothing happens when the trigger is activated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Anyone know what the Skirmish Reinforcements does and how one can get it to work?

The Reinforcements module spawns a fireteam at it's location when it's synced to a unit or group. They won't spawn in until the synced unit or group is under attack. That's the basics of it anyway, I still want to see if there's a way to use it to spawn reinforcements at random locations around the synced units and if it can be somehow synced to units created with the Dynamic Spawn module.

I tried to figure out how it works but I can't do it without the blackscreen?

Is the marker name in the marker field of the spawn module surrounded with quotation marks? (e.g. Marker: "yourMarkerName") That caused me to have blackscreen as well but the quotation marks fixed it as Wolffy mentioned.

The Reinforcements module spawns a fireteam at it's location when it's synced to a unit or group. They won't spawn in until the synced unit or group is under attack. That's the basics of it anyway, I still want to see if there's a way to use it to spawn reinforcements at random locations around the synced units and if it can be somehow synced to units created with the Dynamic Spawn module.

Is the marker name in the marker field of the spawn module surrounded with quotation marks? (e.g. Marker: "yourMarkerName") That caused me to have blackscreen as well but the quotation marks fixed it as Wolffy mentioned.

I've been testing quite a lot the last couple of days and I had problems with some marker-names that I choose. I wanted my markers to be marker_01, marker_02 etc. Marker_01 worked. Marker_02 didn't. I eventually got it working by just deleting it and doing it over. Just the part with the modules. The same with creating tasks. It just does not work sometimes. So I remove all syncs and do it over. If it doesn't work then I delete the modules and do it over. I think it's just a little buggy at the moment.