Sign in to follow this  
metalcraze

The unnecessary sacrifices made to streamlining/accessibility

Here are the issues I've encountered, from somewhat minor to quite major, that were caused by making the game "accessible/streamlined/usable/bla bla"

There are may be more of them on feedback tracker that I haven't seen in the game yet so if you find one post it here

1. Your body does 360 degree turns around your head as you roll on the ground when aiming - but it rolls together with your head when you don't look down the sights. Yes it is possible to just roll on the ground all you want and still retain a perfect perception and aiming.

2. Cars flip back on their wheels - now this is really ridiculous, unless maybe there's some tech I don't know about that produces an artificial gravity source within vehicles?

3. It takes zero time to ready a grenade and throw it, it's just instant - not even some CoD does it this way nowadays. Let alone proper tactical shooters. There's always pulling the pin and throwing. In ArmA3 it's as if soldier spawns a readied grenade out of thin air and propels it at the target.

4. The sun is clearly dying - because it's just a small useless blob in the sky now. Yes I know making a working eyewear after so many years is still not an option - but sun is still an important factor on the real battlefield and that won't change in the next few billion years. Just like getting shot.

We had Jay Crowe talking about how there will be no wrong streamlining, only the right one and Ivan Buchta claimed they are not cutting anything out - so let's help BIS stay true to their words.

We had Jay Crowe talking about how there will be no wrong streamlining, only the right one and Ivan Buchta claimed they are not cutting anything out - so let's help BIS stay true to their words.

You're full of shit. Only point 3 could ever be considered a side effect of "streamlining". But noooo anything thats wrong with A3 now is because its being made more accessible, right?

The rest are quite clearly normal bugs...

I only agree with the 3rd point.

To the other points:

It's an Alpha! Find other games running as smooth as Arma 3 one day into public Alpha... :q:

1. is a bug

2. physics glitch, work in progress

3. looks like a quick system they implemented, not refined or polished yet - hopefully you'll be able to cook grenades before you throw them. I don't need under hand / over hand throws though.

4. I'm grateful it isn't a blinding orb in the sky like what DICE did with Battlefield 3. I'm not a fan of lens flares for that mater either, I hope BiS keep the screen clear of blobs of dazzling lights and objects.

I have also noticed the grenade throws in videos.

It does not look very well. Reminds me of throwing grenades in Far Cry 1. It is likely to lead to grenade spam aswell.

1.) is actually a bug

2.) not my area, but physx vehicle setup might develop too.. the config file is enormous and one can spend days playing with parameters.. I look forward to what community modders come up with

3.) grenade extensions are still planned

4.) not my area

To my knowledge the grenade throw is just an alpha implementation and is not final for the build. Even dyslexi states the same in one of his videos, I'm sure.

I will be more than happy to be wrong here guys. I really do hope those are bugs and ArmA will not lose some of its character.

For the record - I do consider ArmA3 a major improvement over ArmA2, but these things I find annoying. If they are bugs - then sorry.

I'm grateful it isn't a blinding orb in the sky like what DICE did with Battlefield 3. I'm not a fan of lens flares for that mater either, I hope BiS keep the screen clear of blobs of dazzling lights and objects.

But it wasn't so badly done in ArmA2 like in BF3. In fact it was mostly making the sky brighter, while the ground was covered in rays.

http://i.imgur.com/eBsK6oz.jpg

As you can see here - everything is still visible instead of non-transparent sun from BF3. But it does affect the view and thus the approach you must take.

I knew this would happen :)

Such complaints are to made with the notion that the product is Alpha. If you spot a problem, you raise it. Applying your own imagined reasons for the problems doesn't look great.

Point 2 struck me as being possibly deliberate because of when it seems to work and when it doesn't (seems related to roll rate and position) . At any rate I dont like it much either and silencing people during an Alpha kind of defeats the purpose.

Point 2 issue raised here http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=799.

Agreed on 3) Dedicated key for grenades IS WIN , but the animation is far too quick -- add in //pull the pin// part and you increase the anim by, say, 0.5-0.7 seconds = should balance itself in-game.

Point 1 is the same as in ArmA2 I believe. Camera is always locked to vertical unless flying. Some other game elements suffer when the camera is allowed to rotate, for example sprites/particles, which maintain the same screen orientation regardless of player world orientation.

Agreed on 3) Dedicated key for grenades IS WIN , but the animation is far too quick -- add in //pull the pin// part and you increase the anim by, say, 0.5-0.7 seconds = should balance itself in-game.

Im sure we will see improvements in this over time, it is an Alpha after all. I do hope we could have some variation in the grenade throwing, for example hold shift + g to perhaps roll the grenade for the CQB setting.

Anything on the feedback site about the grenades? It's the only point i agree with OP in. I'd like to vote it up!

Anything on the feedback site about the grenades? It's the only point i agree with OP in. I'd like to vote it up!

If you find anything on point 3) - link it here.

3. It takes zero time to ready a grenade and throw it, it's just instant - not even some CoD does it this way nowadays. Let alone proper tactical shooters. There's always pulling the pin and throwing. In ArmA3 it's as if soldier spawns a readied grenade out of thin air and propels it at the target.

"One good example is the way we handle throwing grenades in the ARMA III (sic) alpha," Crowe continues. "The feature isn't complete, and in its current state, I think it's a bit too simplistic. You press a key, the grenade is tossed, whatever animation state you're in. I think that's a legitimate example of where we haven't quite yet hit the right balance. Of course, it's a big improvement over ARMA II's (sic) turgid system. I basically didn't use grenades before, and now I do, so that's progress! It's more instinctive and usable, which is why we've left this WIP feature in the public build. However, for me, it's probably now too easy. There's not enough depth of control: you can't cook the grenade or manipulate the flight in any truly meaningful way."

Crowe's ultimate hope for grenade handling is to make it fluid and natural--but also to make sure it's simulated in an appropriate way. He's also conscious of how the modding community might further adjust that mechanic, and other ones as well. "This same through-process can be applied to a whole range of new or refined features," he says. "Is it useful? Is it appropriate? Are the community going to try to hijack it?"

Also, yes, alpha.

Best,

RiE