Sign in to follow this  
lNTRUDER

Why buy A3 just so you could go online and ruin everyone's experience?

DayZ Standalone will take some away but you can darn well bet a good deal of people will stick around DEMANDING DayZ/zombies in Arma 3.

Been playin in pubs since release and the worst thing Ive encountered was a guy who just kept spamming stupid audio recordings like "LeeeRRoyy Jenkiiiins!" :rolleyes:

Hosted a coop and had a lot of solid teamwork and everyone listen to point man. AAS and Wasteland also had great cooperation. Maybe im just lucky.

Well then you would have to care about Pub servers... and wanting to play with strangers for this to be a issue. If the player is good he will find your PW server. If not ohwell. Guess if you dont have any friends or havent been PC gaming for over 20ys and actually ownd a computer 20+ years ago (yeah i could be your Dad!) you would need a Pub to have players. The community doesn't get hurt by locked servers... thats just BS. Less Pubs i say. More Nice servers. Bohemia sells more to SP then they ever sell for MP, untill Dayz. But still SP is huge and will be bigger than A3 MP for sales... But still there will be some awesome Pubs for newbs to get into UO/Tac etc... Greifing has been around since 14.4baud Modems.... Lock them up.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so I´ll write a few words about my Arma history (not OT, the point will follow).

I came to Arma via the f2p version. I never heard of it before and didn´t really like it because I was expecting another standard online shooter. After joining one or two servers where everything was burning and everyone seemed to shoot in the air or at teammates I de-installed it.

A few months later Day - Z came out and I liked the videos so I decided to buy the full (Steam)Version of A2. For good reasons (I think a lot of people here can comprehense) I absolutely hated that mod until this day on.

On the other hand I was completely stunned about the possibilities, the atmosphere and the scenery you have with Arma 2 & Arrowhead. Absolutely loved the campaign (except the AI maybe) and was looking forward for some actual online Action. Unfortunately I found almost no servers (played only one real Match with a great team in a year, all other servers were full of hackers and idiots). That made me sad because I really was looking forward for some tactical teamplay.

This brings me to the point. I joined two Arma III servers today and it was completely the same shit. I thought Alpha versions aren´t full of complete retards ffs?! I hope those people loose interest because they are to stupid to play anyway. I´m really pissed right now.

So if there are people who are looking for the same experiance as I do, please tell me where to find you? Apparently there are "non public" servers for serious players? I would be really really glad if anybody could keep me up to date about any of those. Fluent skills in English and German.

Sincerly

An Arma noob who hadn´t the chance to improve his online skills!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so I´ll write a few words about my Arma history (not OT, the point will follow).

I came to Arma via the f2p version. I never heard of it before and didn´t really like it because I was expecting another standard online shooter. After joining one or two servers where everything was burning and everyone seemed to shoot in the air or at teammates I de-installed it.

A few months later Day - Z came out and I liked the videos so I decided to buy the full (Steam)Version of A2. For good reasons (I think a lot of people here can comprehense) I absolutely hated that mod until this day on.

On the other hand I was completely stunned about the possibilities, the atmosphere and the scenery you have with Arma 2 & Arrowhead. Absolutely loved the campaign (except the AI maybe) and was looking forward for some actual online Action. Unfortunately I found almost no servers (played only one real Match with a great team in a year, all other servers were full of hackers and idiots). That made me sad because I really was looking forward for some tactical teamplay.

This brings me to the point. I joined two Arma III servers today and it was completely the same shit. I thought Alpha versions aren´t full of complete retards ffs?! I hope those people loose interest because they are to stupid to play anyway. I´m really pissed right now.

So if there are people who are looking for the same experiance as I do, please tell me where to find you? Apparently there are "non public" servers for serious players? I would be really really glad if anybody could keep me up to date about any of those. Fluent skills in English and German.

Sincerly

An Arma noob who hadn´t the chance to improve his online skills!

I replied with a bunch of links to some milsim org sites, but I guess I'm not allowed to post links yet...

so google the following:

MilitaryGaming ArmA

TacticalGamer

7Cav ArmA

ShackTac

...that should get you on the right path to finding a suitable group of players that are mature (for the most part) and tactical-minded. Also, do know that these are just a small few of the organizations that are out there. You should dust off your ArmA 2 and try to play with these guys again. Most run ArmA 2 mods like ACE and ACRE that add a huge amount of immersion and gameplay and will give you a taste of what to expect in ArmA 3 in the coming months. If you need help with mods, I suggest using Play WithSIX to download all the mods you need for a server while being able to browse for available servers as well.

Edited by AbortedMan

Thank you very much for your reply,I heard of the ace mod before and will definitely give it a try.

Thanks a lot again.

overall people just need to find communities to settle into if they want to play seriously, this has nothing to do with "public servers are crap", what it has to do with is public servers aren't admined.

What a lot of clans think is that the public server will just run itself, and hopefully bring in potential recruits, but the truth is completely the opposite.

you can relax on your personal servers but on your public servers youve got to be ever vigilant, banning players who are either reckless or thoughtless, and the public servers need to be managed as close to 24/7 as possible even if its through scripts.

So overall it's better to understand that even if you don't want to join a community, you need to atleast hang around them, and if you do find an issue on the server let them know and if they dont sort it out then dont bother because a clan should try to be as forgiving to those outside as to those inside if they care about the community as a whole and not just their bubble.

NTRUDER;2315605']Yes' date=' we decided to go public for the good of the community since there wasn't that many open servers running.

Indeed, we do decide who plays on the server. It's just that our admins got tired of kicking and banning people after a while. It should not have to be a full time job being an admin in a reasonably grown-up community.

Your alpha argument is ridiculous. Still, you're welcome to play on our server anytime and maybe you can give our admins some pointers.[/quote']

You have to understand that players will continue troll. I've found the best way to have a good community, is let them self moderate themselves. We have a streamer who is constantly coming into our server at The Old Breed and he brings in quite the population with him. If anyone has a problem or suggestion for us, we give them a moment to explain and if they have no excuse or they have an outstanding voice against them, they are removed.

The self moderation method tends to work wonders, but at times they come in flocks. We had to restart 5+ times due to people blowing up the ammo boxes and vehicles. A simple solution is spread them out. Most players won't be able to get full damage achieved in this manner as they'll normally be spotted and reported/removed fairly quickly. We as a tactical community would love to do some of our operations, we've made already. However, with everyone wanting that DayZ/BF3/CoD gameplay, we can only cross our fingers and hope they thin out and if not, there's always patience until ACE/ACRE development is done.

I just felt inclined to open a discussion around the subject of the amount of new users we are seeing wit the release of this Alpha.

There seems to be hostility on some ends to this, sometimes with good ground, like in the case of hacking and teamkilling online...

I have personally enjoyed ArmA-software since the beginning of the series and also have a background in advanced simulators, both as

user and developer (not development to consumer markets however) and only uses that type of software myself, apart from the

occational Wii session with my wife :) so i understand the view taken by those who find it annoying for instance,

when a new user throws a grenade wrongly and kills his team.

However. Yesterday i was asked by an old friend if i could introduce him to ArmA 2, after he had heard from me he should try it.

I went in and created a COOP session with some AI, and i found myself initially annoyed that he was taking his time with stuff and really

did all kinds of strange things. But then he told me that he found it overwhelmingly complex. I then initiated him to some base commands and

mechanics and we tried them together. He then started to get it.

And it was amazing to see his transition from first expressing a behaviour leaning towards wanting to run around and shoot, to actually

playing advanced and strategically, having control of the mechanics. He told me that he found that it was "boring" at first and thus wanted to

shoot and kill (as it is the easiest element to understand).

However, when calmly and gently introduced to the subtle nuances of ArmA he took on another view.

This delighted me very much and we then played all night. He has now prepurchased to get ArmA 3 Alpha and has become very interested in the

modding scene and started to download additional content already.

I started this thread after just speaking to him, after he called me to ask for some commands for ACE that he had managed to install to:

"Get a more authentic experience" :)

And that got me to thinking... As i previously stated i have been in a few Sim-communities and all excibit the same "elitism" and "conservatism".

Then i look at the Alpha and the "streamlining" frowned upon and people hating that new players find one of the strongest contenders

to defend PC advanced sim/gameplay.

I then start to think, that we may see this the wrong way... We have been here so long that we have forgotten that ArmA is a daunting

experiene when first confronted with it. Perhaps these new users will eventually be like my friend and start loving the franchise and what

it stands for, if only given a little "nudge" by more experienced users. Is all this "run and gun" stuff really that strange, given that

if you don't understand the subtle ways ArmA can be experienced and tactics that can be used, how are you supposed to do anything but that?

I think Bohemia is actually going the right way with an included field manual and streamlined controls to ease the transaction. I believe

that we all would like more users to share our love for the series and we have to get it out there somehow.

So after thinking about it i actually welcome the new way of packaging the ArmA experience and the new mechanics...

What are your opinions on this?

Should we actively seek out and welcome new users and if so how?

And if you have not tried to teach a friend to enjoy ArmA, do so, it was an amazing experience!

It's really sad how this game is unplayable without a private group, I guess there's just those who care and those who don't, and those who care are usually part of a clan unless they're new, and if they're new, they might get turned off by the mostly awful group of public players before they join any sort of group. Most of the trolling comes from people getting bored of not being able to get into the action instantly, so they just start creating it with the environment around them, like team mates. I really don't understand why so many people bought a god damn mil-sim when they know they can't go more than 30 seconds without shooting someone, whoever it may be, surely there are better options than a mil-sim.

It's almost an amazing feat when you meet some one who is decent and doesn't want to team kill you or cowadoody it up. One server I was playing earlier today had plenty of team killing going around but eventually I got out of the base and found a car. I picked some random guy up while driving around and we just drove around talked for a couple minutes just about how amazing the mirrors were and how they pretty much haven't been in a video game for like 10 years. That's the only actual civil conversation I've had with anyone so far, and it was refreshing, no matter how small it was.

Merged Der_Richter's thread into here as it seems to fit the discussion well.

Merged Der_Richter's thread into here as it seems to fit the discussion well.

Thanks.

@Der_Richter

That´s exactly the behaviour I missed plaing Arma 2. There was noone online willing to help me with questions and I therefore am still to be considered as noob, even tough I play it for > 1 year. Fortunately at least one of my good friends will join in on A3 and it´ll be easier to learn as a team.

I think Clans and "pro´s" will recogniz relatively fast if a newbie is willing to actually play or just wants some action.

Something struck me before... Now that the ArmA-verse is fully on Steam with A3, why not take advantage of this and implement a possibility for "ranked" instead of "passworded" servers? You could give in server creation, options for creating a server based on "rank" something that Steam could hold info about due to account being on there already. This rank could be reflected by playing time (+), unlocking of certain modes (+), friendly kills (-), hacking of public servers (-) etc.

Then to be able to join and/or use certain contents you must uphold a certain rank (ie. how iRacing license system works).

That would open possibilities for training servers run by people who may volunteer that can teach the basics and as you advance in rank you can join other public servers.

Also, it would give public servers available for all, but no one tk:ing and behaving badly would have enough rank to actually join them...

Just an idea taken from basically observing iRacing for many years...

One recently added feature in Steam is the possibility to create userguides. There are already some for the Alpha, an extensive guide like the one from shack-tac however could be of use to show new players the possibilities. I've been around since OFP and learned it the hard way and mastering ACE with all its features was not that easy without help. But we can't expect new players to have this skillset and long trained attitude. Especially if you they have no experience in such a genre. Todays shooters are a completly other background than the old Rainbow Six series e.g. Most players are not used to slow gameplay and the fun it can bring. This is a experience you can not simply have if you got no help. You must learn to experience it as fun. To have a friend showing you is probably the best way.

There's nothing to say other than to feel sorry for them they got such a shit upbringing. Blame their fucked up parents.

I hosted a 64 player game last night (UPSMON + HC powered madness! :D), as long as you are actively kicking members for TKing and spamming it sends a message. :)

Something struck me before... Now that the ArmA-verse is fully on Steam with A3, why not take advantage of this and implement a possibility for "ranked" instead of "passworded" servers? You could give in server creation, options for creating a server based on "rank" something that Steam could hold info about due to account being on there already. This rank could be reflected by playing time (+), unlocking of certain modes (+), friendly kills (-), hacking of public servers (-) etc.

Then to be able to join and/or use certain contents you must uphold a certain rank (ie. how iRacing license system works).

That would open possibilities for training servers run by people who may volunteer that can teach the basics and as you advance in rank you can join other public servers.

Also, it would give public servers available for all, but no one tk:ing and behaving badly would have enough rank to actually join them...

Just an idea taken from basically observing iRacing for many years...

This strides against what ArmA is about.

No ranks, no unlocks. Only sandbox.

This strides against what ArmA is about.

No ranks, no unlocks. Only sandbox.

I think you may misunderstand... I was talking in a purely multiplayer, public server sense... And that is already not "no unlocks" due to most being password protected, requiring you to join a clan.

But i agree with your view that content as such should neve be locked out.

You know, I wish I could go crack people like that over the head with a bottle of beer. IT RUINS IT FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes my brother teamkills on some games because he thinks it's kinda fun. But when I teamkill, I can't get over the feeling of guilt, even though it's a game and that my teammates don't trust me. So, I hope that when I buy the game, you will include me in your server for "non-*******" players. What the devs need to add( and alot of games already have this) is a system that after a certain number of teamkills, if the player doesn't forgive you(this proves if it was deliberate or not) you get banned from that server for like 24 hours. Joseph

I really like the Idea of ranks and stats for servers. Not in Bf3 or CoD style but maybe only in points.The problem is that every server is going to do that than because sensefull gamplay is in every one´s interest. So where are new players gonna get their points? Servers without a certain rank limitation will be filled with TK and hacker kids :/

I think you may misunderstand... I was talking in a purely multiplayer, public server sense... And that is already not "no unlocks" due to most being password protected, requiring you to join a clan.

You don't have to join a clan to play on many passworded servers. They have passwords to keep kids out of the game on one hand and force people to join TS3 to get that password on another. It's the best way to do it.

No communication = a mission quickly turns into a mess with vehicle stealing and TKs.