rasdenfasden

The Grenade Thread

This game is more of a military simulator or (sandbox) as the developers call it. When I throw a grenade, I would like to be able to cook it off so that I can precisely know it will hit and explode without giving the enemy time to become aware of the grenade and run away.

Either this is missing in the alpha or this has not yet been proposed/planned for the game at all. I think you should be able to just hold the mouse button down to cook the grenade off before you let it go.

Edited by morthawt

You're best off adding your suggestion to the feedback tracker, or contributing to the discussion in This Thread. I think the current state of the grenades isn't unknown to both the users on this forum, nor BIS, so best to keep things tidy in one giant thread.

I hope and pray for the ability to cook off grenades. This is a military sandbox, not counter-strike. I would love to be able to cook a grenade (pull the pin and delay throwing it so the enemy has no time to see and avoid because it will explode sooner) because it is realistic and elementary.

Edited by morthawt

The military never teach us to cook grenade 'formally' or 'officially'. But it's recognized as a viable method to employ in the battlefield. So in-game terms, probably we can have 'cook grenade' feature. And like in real-life we'll probably see some accidents occur while playing. Once that spoon came of from mr grenade, he's not your friend anymore, so better throw him away.... whichever way

I'd love to see incendiary grenades and offensive grenades which are used in enclosed areas (Mk3A2) in ARMA 3 too...

But I'm pretty happy with the way how frag grenades work in 3.

i remember an unreleased weapon from americas army game called pursuit deterrent munition. it could be thrown like a grenade and then activate into a mine with tripwires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M86_Pursuit_Deterrent_Munition

here's what it looks like

https://www.buymilsurp.com/images/P85-16A.JPG

Yeah, that ST vid is about as good as it can get (features, not implementation, and not the behind the back one). AA had good grenades as I remember them: cookable, easy to predict, 2 firing mods (under/overhand), easy to use overall. They're definitely broken in the alpha, but I'm assuming that's a placeholder for something similar to A2's system, which was weak as could be unfortunately. It may look realistic to have the grenade coming off the hand from an outside viewpoint, but it makes it very hard to use grenades accurately and therefore effectively. I rarely use them even with ACE because of these difficulties.

For realism sake you don't ever cook your grenades. Grenade fuses are highly unreliable and nobody is trained to cook their grenades

Mac is correct. The time on a grenade from the time the safety lever is released to explosion is 4.5 seconds. So tell me...can you accurately count to 4.5..if so then you are a better man than I. Only in Hollywood movies does any soldier cook off a grenade.

On to the grenades in Arma3. They can increase realism by simply not having the things thrown as soon as you hit the G key. In RL grenades are kept in pouches not hanging off your webbing (Hollywood again!), and most soldiers remove the safety clip but add tape around the safety lever for extra..well..safety. So to throw a grenade you need to 1. open pouch and remove grenade (roll over to the side if you are prone to get to the pouch), 2. remove tape, 3. pull safety pin, 4. throw grenade. Takes more than .5 seconds to do.

Infantry for 25yrs. I have carried and thrown hundreds of grenades. I would like to think I know what I am talking about.

Well, I mean, you could take the pin out and hold the lever to more accurately throw, but other than that I don't think cooking should be added.

If you want realism then I suggest, while assaulting a position, throw the grenade and then run towards it. It really only works the once, but if you want to do what the big boys do, for realisms sake.:p

What I would do is add a sound when grenade lands on the ground, of course depending on the type of ground. One should be able to hear a grenade fall on ground almost every time, if you're close enough.

If they're to add cooking because it's realistic, then they should add less reliable fuzes, and the latter are the reason for why you don't cook grenades. Really, the only good reason is if you're gonna toss it into a bunker or something from where it can be tossed back quickly. However, since you can't toss grenades back, there is simply no reason at all to do it. And no, currently the grenades don't afford you enough time to actually run away from them, unless you toss them so shortly you're in the kill zone too.

The problem is that you can spam grenades like you are firing an automatic grenade launcher by just hitting G repeatedly.

I agree with squishall.

There was another grenade-thread around the forum somewhere, but I fail to find it now.

€dit: Found it! --> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147659-The-Grenade-Thread

Maybe both should be merged so we can get the discussions together. A user posted a nice video there from a grenade-throw concept for ArmaA II.

€dit:

i agree it needs to change, and someone very far more concise then I has put together a concept video i basically agree with

Basically you'd not be able to throw a grenade within a second by just pressing a key like now. The player would switch to a "grenade mode" instead like in previous ArmA games or OFP. Although this might seem uncomfortable at first compared with the "Call of Duty" grenade model we have right now, it would allow different styles of grenade uses. Throw them in a wide arc, lob them over an obstacle, lean sideways and throw them around a corner (with incidcator points so the grenade doesn't lob back from the wall like in ArmA II & OFP constantly...). If the palyer would have to switch to a grenade mode it would also account for the time you'd need in reality to grab a grenade and prepare for throwing it. I've caught myself with the current system taking 10+ grenades with me and literally spamming them whenever I see an enemy in range. :butbut:

BEST AND SIMPLEST WAY I've seen for grenade throwing is used in the game America's Army 3. Very intuitive, easy to aim, overhand and underhand throws. As an addition, being able to throw around a corner would be nice. And flash bangs would be great for breaching rooms.

Edited by FNGMace

America's Army is sweet for nades --left hand thumb extended is the aim-point. The arc of flight is much flatter --alot like a baseball throw.

i like grenades could be in the same category as weapons, equipping them in hand right through the menu mouse wheel as the rocket launcher or pistol

i like grenades could be in the same category as weapons, equipping them in hand right through the menu mouse wheel as the rocket launcher or pistol

Have you played ArmA 2? The grenade system in that game is abysmal - So abysmal that the grenades are not even considered a threat to anyone but the one who uses them.

Have you played ArmA 2? The grenade system in that game is abysmal - So abysmal that the grenades are not even considered a threat to anyone but the one who uses them.

And what one thing has to do with the other?

______

Agree that granades should be an equipable item an the throwing mode should be similar to AA3.

In the animation viewer you can see some grenades animations, they're cool but probably tied to the "old" system.

So BI people, any news on this front?

1.Stay as it is

2. WIP for Beta

3. WIP for Full

4. We'll look again after release

You are correct about the A2 grenade mechanics, they were terrible. The A3 mechanics are great but the problem is the 1-click insta grenade, its too quick and simple in a game striving for realism. Grenades should be equipped like other weapons so that it simulates taking a grenade out of a grenade pouch and prepping it.

Jay Crowe did mention that the current grenade implementation is closer to what he wants but still WIP, but he didn't mention anything in his desired changes about grenades as an "equip" weapon, only stuff like ability to cook the grenades or more methods of throwing (possibly including underhand, for example).

in a game striving for balance*.

Fixed it for you. Realism doesnt seem priority anymore.