Sign in to follow this  
zynx33

low FPS in multiplayer

I have found on most servers my FPS is pretty bad and basically unplayable but every so often I find a decent server and the game runs beautifully! OLUT was one of those servers... Find a decent server and you will find a decent frame rate.

I5 2500k @4.2

660SC

8GB RAM

WIN7 64UL

1080X1920

fullscreen 20fps multi

fullscreen+windowed =same

windowed@1920x1080 doubles my FPS...

plus when using full screen edges of screen extend out of monitor...i.e cancel is seen as ancel

Edited by ric

Correct.

Tell that to XR that ran Benny Edition Warfare @ 32-48 players & 12 units per player for days straight with excellent FPS.

XR was one of just a HANDFULL of servers worldwide that could do that...and it took 2 years to set it up that way

I can't imagine it would run smooth for someone using the stated Minimum System Requirements. Lots of optimizing to be done.

I have better then minimum specs.

Reduce viewDistance to about 1500m - or less. This is fine for most MP scenarios and will help.

Also keep in mind that there aren't robust dedicated servers yet. We at TGW had to purchase another copy of the game on our Steam account to run a "Dedicated" server on our box. Even then, running with 40 players one of my mates that has an i7 3930k overclocked to 4.6gHz and 2x GTX590 in Quad-SLI was getting 15-20FPS playing a simple TDM mission. Hopefully a lot of this gets ironed out, and part of it is just the mission designer's fault: by reducing to 20 for TDM folks with more-robust rigs were getting 35-40FPS.

Seriously, though, reduce your View Distance and Draw Distance! #1 thing you can do to help framerates and, even better, your game can still look great with all the PP effects and AA still enabled!

Any MP match in the town of Agia Marina is when it really gets unplayable for me. Strangely in the forested areas with tons of trees, leaves, bushes and grass (ie. alpha and overdraw) it runs way better.

But that Agia Marina goes to hell real quick.

BIS towns have always been a big hit to performance, not sure why as they're not that big in A3 alpha and the buildings are empty. *shugs

Any MP match in the town of Agia Marina is when it really gets unplayable for me. Strangely in the forested areas with tons of trees, leaves, bushes and grass (ie. alpha and overdraw) it runs way better.

BIS towns have always been a big hit to performance, not sure why as they're not that big in A3 alpha and the buildings are empty. *shugs

I get the same problem with that town

hey guys im new to this site,can you tell me if my pc can handle arma 3 or not and on what settings?what is the ideal fps for arma 3..thanks

Operating System-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU-AMD FX-6300(6 core, 3.5ghz)OC to 4.4 ghz

RAM-8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 709MHz

Graphics-AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series(1920x1080)

Hard Drives-466GB WL500GSA6472 ATA Device

Most the LOW FPS is the servers I think.

I have a i5 2550k, GTX 560 Ti 1gb EVGA SuperClocked, and in most servers I get 40+ FPS (clouds and shadows turned low) and then I join other servers get like 15 FPS because their scripts have been running for a long time.

Like Takistan Life, after 500 minutes it starts lagging and stuff...

agia marina is near the ocean, the game performs quite bad near the southern coast for some reason

I got same troubles, good fps in solo and unplayable in multi. And changing option (low and reduce view range) doesn't affect the fps.

Here is my config :

Win 7

I7 2.67GHz

6Go DDR3 531.98MHz

GeForce GTX 660 (asus OC).

My pc is ASUS G75VX-CV006H with this settings:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM 2,3 GHz - 64 Bit - Cache L2 6MB

Ram: 16 GB SODIMM DDR3 1.600 MHz

Monitor: Full HD (1920x1080)

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670MX 3GB DDR5

Windows 8 64Bit

If I use a low settings or a ultra settings, FPS don't change..

In a MP my FPS are 10-15 if I use the low setting with 1600x900, and remain 10-15 even if I use the settings ultra with 1920x1080.

PLEASE! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! Fix the graphic optmization... the game is wonderful!!

I still simply cannot understand how this works. It makes absolutely no sense to have server limiting client's FPS. Higher framerate does not give players any advantage. Server should only transfer information about game entities, their position, and their state. I can not understand what framerate has to do with it. If server does not manage to perform well under heavy stress, it should send more sparse data to clients, which would appear as slight stuttering or less smooth movement of game entities, but i do not understand how it can for example affect rate of rendering frames when you look around the game world, which is stored in the RAM and GPU memory of your PC, and rendering badwith goes through ultra high speed bus on your motherboard.

Also server does not even need to render game world, all it needs is to calculate positions and states of game entities and share them across clients. So even under-average machine should be able to handle 50 players on one map with properly written code. Only thing i can think of that could really cause it is that in order for server to keep game speed consistent across all clients, it degrades performance of all clients to the performance of weakest machine connected to the server. And now THAT would be a LAME solution :D

High-end specs gets lower fps than low-end specs. This is about optimization.

Hopefully it will get better for release. (You're actually testing now, helping them optimizing. Alphaaaa)

Stop making new threads about this already. Both us and the devs are aware of high-end specs getting low fps.

I have found on most servers my FPS is pretty bad and basically unplayable but every so often I find a decent server and the game runs beautifully! OLUT was one of those servers... Find a decent server and you will find a decent frame rate.

Can you list some good ones? I'm struggling to find any :S

Try avoiding servers with more than 20 players, that alone ended my struggling with bad performance.

Surprisingly, last night I was on server with 30 ppl (Blitzkrieg, Hunting in teh woods) and perfromance was surprisingly good...not perfect but much better then a evening before on some other servers...but something definitely must be done (till full game release) so the performance in MP is smooth for most of us with decent rigs. Maybe I was in dedicated server so the performance was decent, dunno.