Sign in to follow this  
Ch3v4l13r

Any news on weapon resting ?

I'd like to have weapon resting without reliance on ACE :) As good as ACE is, I don't always use it.

I wish it was released as a standalone addon, of all the ACE features it's the one I wish I had all the time.

this +1

love ace. but there's no ace here yet. but weapon resting becomes such a important part of gameplay for making long range, controlled shots.

with weapon resting actually those towers served a purpose manned with MG GUnners for suppression firing!!

arma32013-03-0722-18-q1kqf.jpg

actually it's the 6th (CWC, R, A1, A2, OA, A3) ... {i'm really sry to burst the bubble :p}

What about Queens Gambit?

Or do we just forget that?

:p:p

QG had no new binary, it was just data so can't count it as 'new' engine iteration

Is there any mod that enables firing while mounted on vehicles? A lot of vehicles is designed with the expectation that the soldiers in it will use their small arms to protect the vehicle, for example the BMP-series (with firingportholes) or any open transporter really (like the MH-6 already in the game). This is something that have always bugged me about the series because its really such an obvious thing for a soldier to just rise his rifle and shoot if his transport comes under attack instead of waiting for the driver to stop/land, disembark and THEN fire back.

It's really sad there's no weapon resting feature in ARMA 3 yet. On my opinion, the absence of weapon resting really hurts the gameplay (and realism, of course) because, for example, fortifications, houses, defensive positions aren't of really much use in firefights right now. Moreover, it's an often situation, that a soldier in fortifications becomes weaker against a man on a clear field in firefight only because the man in the field can go prone and thus get overwhelming advantage in accuracy. That inconsistency really does not any good to the gameplay.

this is the most important point.

and when BIS is focusing on INF combat, I whonder why they dont have this already in their games?

They do play their own games I think, but taking houses and fortresses is normal right? in my eyes those guard towers never served a purpose. They must have Bipod / resting system.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

QG had no new binary, it was just data so can't count it as 'new' engine iteration

Resistance was so good!!!!

Is there any mod that enables firing while mounted on vehicles? A lot of vehicles is designed with the expectation that the soldiers in it will use their small arms to protect the vehicle, for example the BMP-series (with firingportholes) or any open transporter really (like the MH-6 already in the game). This is something that have always bugged me about the series because its really such an obvious thing for a soldier to just rise his rifle and shoot if his transport comes under attack instead of waiting for the driver to stop/land, disembark and THEN fire back.

you want to support this

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2452

Thanks for the info, I backed it because I believe it is a feature that needs to be in teh game, especially if they say its a infantry focused game.

firing from vehicles is less important than weapon resting IMO

IMHO I myself view it with sort of this (from very important to least importance)

+for alpha

1. weapon resting on edges of static objects(both map and editor placed)/surfaces(terrain)/vehicles

2. weapon bipod,tripod etc deployment on surface/object (fixed point alike,stability)

+for beta

3. primary/secondary/throw weapon firing from fixed poses in vehicles (positions which allows it) (similar as shown by Dsly

)

+nice to have (aka not gunna happen this generation of engine)

4. free roam inside vehicles, free fire etc (this is too complex and problematic)

as usually this comes w/o any warranty cause it's just part of my hitlist ;)

4. free roam inside vehicles, free fire etc (this is too complex and problematic)

Why do you have to go to the extent of free roam or free fire?

Surely you could take a smaller chunk and implement something that would allow certain vehicle positions to utilize their weapons (primary or secondary) within certain useful and realistic limits.

For example, if you have a person riding shotgun they could have an additional menu option (say "Window cover") which would setup the player with their weapon aiming out of the window, providing limited range of movement based on realistic positioning with regards to the seating position.

Certainly I don't understand the difficulties involved with this from a programming point of view but it would seem to be a good compromise without requiring full free roam in vehicles, which personally I don't think would add a lot where as providing a simple option to at least have some ability to fire from vehicles would.

Just an idea, I imagine it's something you've already chucked around the studio anyway.

Yeah it will be cool if cars with windows allowed for resting weapon on a door and firing from it. However since ground in ArmA3 is so flat (for obvious reasons) there should be some shake added when moving, otherwise it will be too easy to hit stuff 50m away or more when driving max speed.

Why do you have to go to the extent of free roam or free fire?

Surely you could take a smaller chunk and implement something that would allow certain vehicle positions to utilize their weapons (primary or secondary) within certain useful and realistic limits.

For example, if you have a person riding shotgun they could have an additional menu option (say "Window cover") which would setup the player with their weapon aiming out of the window, providing limited range of movement based on realistic positioning with regards to the seating position.

Certainly I don't understand the difficulties involved with this from a programming point of view but it would seem to be a good compromise without requiring full free roam in vehicles, which personally I don't think would add a lot where as providing a simple option to at least have some ability to fire from vehicles would.

Just an idea, I imagine it's something you've already chucked around the studio anyway.

I was speaking about full free roam movement inside moving vehicles with everything involved ... it's quite bit more complicated than it sounds

Just a little through: if it is not so difficult, can someone please add "lowering weapons when standing too close to walls that are too high to shoot over with" to the list? as I think this is also a related features(both need to detect and decide wether or not the said objects can be shot over)

I was speaking about full free roam movement inside moving vehicles with everything involved ... it's quite bit more complicated than it sounds

I understand that, along with the fact that it is very complicated. It would seem to be that you would have to commit a lot of resources for a very marginal benefit, beyond people saying "that's cool" and getting back to playing.

However, one of the major aspects I see missing from vehicles is the ability to shoot out of the windows, or windscreen. One solution, which seems relatively simple to me, is to provide an additional action that would allow the player to shoot out of the window, essentially putting them in another gun position in the vehicle but using their personal weapon. I would think that would be a much simpler approach to introducing this feature as opposed to committing to providing full free roam movement within vehicles.

I hope that makes sense.

+1

It's a feature we've seen done in mods for a long time, it's time for vanilla to snatch it up, it's a basic feature that should of been in the series from day one.

ctrl + s and ctrl + w has a few positions that seem to simulate a bipod

I think if CQB and PvP is really going to take off this features is a must. Now that the movement is good and we have multiple stances, the only thing that is hugely lacking is weapon resting. I find myself poking out of windows quite a bit these days and every single time i think to myself "if only I could rest my weapon...".

tl;dr

the new movement and stances are excellent but to be "complete" weapon resting must be brought in.

I think you have the order of priority down pretty well dwarden. PLEASE push this at BIS HQ.

I think you have the order of priority down pretty well dwarden. PLEASE push this at BIS HQ.

Yes, I certainly agree the order of priority is correct, weapon resting definitely comes in at number one.

I remember back in the Op. Flashpoint days, before resistance, kneeling in front of a rock and wishing I could rest my LMG on it correctly.

Even Bf3 has this feature....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Even Bf3 has this feature....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

so what? because of BF3 now everygame needs that? - anyway this feature will be added but we have to wait.