Sign in to follow this  
Muscular Beaver

Better animations?

People try to ADS while in tactical pace? How do you manage to hit a single thing beyond 10 meters?
You either spray single shots, stop for a brief second, or walk for the time needed to shot...

Yay!

We need a knife throwing anim.

why would you throw one of your last lines of defense at someone? no real practicality to it other then looking fancy.

The running animation, is the worst thing I've seen. Everything else is awesome.

sitting down should be stationary. it's very jarring to see a guy spin around like his ass his hovering above the ground. also, the supine and sit-prone position could use rotation animations. right now they also float/spin like the sitting down position.

Normal jog feels and looks a bit odd, espcially in first person where the weapon bops up and down rather unnaturally, but overall its an improvement.

The running animation, is the worst thing I've seen. Everything else is awesome.

Right! That ant-like run is seriously unatural and brings the awesome things down. It looks as though its was captured for a slow walk and then sped up 2x becoming something close to an olympic racewalk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZb_BPJsqBs) stiff upper body(but bent) and weightless rapid movement. Also the way the gun bobs when walking/running, feels unreal, like it didnt match the terrain or the impact the whole body has on it.

This thread still going?

Smookie done a brilliant job on the anims; the only angle you could argue from, is that some of them are far too quick. Sprinting is being reduced in the upcoming update(s), everything else is in order.

Adapt//

since this thread seems to be some kind of whining/wishlist orgy i'm gonna just join the choir.

three things:

fast crouch reminds me of the famous weird walk we used to do in arma 2 where you lower your weapon look up with alt and then crouch walk. it results in the upper body being super low. just needs some slight tweaking.

please replace the old arma 1/arma 2 unarmed civilian crouch walk. looks like a creeper;)

also. it's time for a new ladder animation.

i know the last two are probably placeholders. anyways. great job on the animations so far. oh one other thing. while on land it's possible you can't reload while moving under water. would be nice to be able to.

EDIT: another thing that just came to mind. i'm really one of those guys who thinks that realistic movement as in things take time and can restrict you result in more realistic player behaviour/gameplay. i still think though that while switching from rifle to pistol takes time and concentration having to stop 100% doesn't feel right. would be cool if you would just automaticly be restricted to walking slow while switching. it would still be deadly to switch weapons while running from cover to cover under fire but it would feel less restricted overall. anyways can live without it. always liked the feel of arma/ofp. new fluidity is nice too but already enough as it is to satisfy me:)

Edited by Bad Benson

Hello BI,

I would like to request that there be another animation made for the use of GPMG Light role machine guns. (Light role HA! anything but light)

As it stands at the moment the light machine gun is operated from the shoulder like a rifle would be, I was wondering if you would consider making another animation for the use of bigger man portable machine guns for example the M240 / FN MAG 58.

From experience as a professional soldier that weapon is heavy so the current animations wouldn't suit the weapon and have a detrimental effect to realism and immersion.

So hear are some pictures I have collected to show what I mean by how anims could be adopted to mimic that of the operator of the General purpose machine gun.

Patrol Stance were the but of the weapon isn't in the shoulder

LliZDucl.jpg

A kneeling stance relaxed

VzsfGYZl.jpg

Possible sprinting stance (After you've fired about 1000 rounds and your displacing to reorganise with other elmenents that guns going to be hot)

Mxr6tv3l.jpg

ZXz1LeVl.jpg

Standing Fire position alternate - As Gash as it looks its legit. (use Reaction to enemy fire, or Close Quarters Battle.)

mYHEu2kl.jpg

ZNZCr0Cl.jpg

And maybe use you're Control Up to put it in your shoulder if you're firing from a high wall etc. :)

I believe this is the current standing postion for fireing Light Machine Guns in Arma 3 which is fine its good I like it, But it isn't used for the GPMG / M240 because its to heavy and long. :)

LCBw3mFl.jpg

Thank you.

Please Vote up on the ticket

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=7205

Edited by Cross888
Feedback Ticket

+10 Cross. Make a ticket about it at the feedback tracker, and I can guarantee you at least my vote! The current weapon holding animations are really badly suited towards anything else than rifles and carbines. The way LMGs, and eventually medium machine guns are held does not look even remotely realistic.

This thread still going?

Smookie done a brilliant job on the anims; the only angle you could argue from, is that some of them are far too quick. Sprinting is being reduced in the upcoming update(s), everything else is in order.

Adapt//

adapt to what? incomplete animations?

and scrim just opened up a new angle, likely means there's a bunch of other angles you haven't thought about. and no, it's not just about speed at all. here's a new angle i just thought about. the head never moves in any of these animations. it's in the exact same spot. now go watch someone run or do anything, basically. their head isn't level and static at all, it moves around in the x and y plane. people who say everything's perfect or close to perfect tend to lack attention to detail and therefore have low standards. don't be that guy.

Looks awesome Cross and would make playing the machine gunner feel different like it should.

Looks awesome Cross and would make playing the machine gunner feel different like it should.

Roger dodger!

Vote up gents I really want to see this in game. The thing that bugged me about arma 2 was the bad anims for machineguns and long rifles.

In my career I used GPMGs all the time and there's tons of alternate carrying and fire positions that you never see in game.

For example Running with the GPMG after you've just fired 1000 rounds through it your not going to hold that close to your body so you use the carry handle.

GPMG Sprinting (turbo)

GsELu5rl.jpg

Its not just Machine guns that its relevent to either the 338 weights roughly the same weight as a GPMG.

Pv9fA4rl.jpg

pxwNqJHl.jpg

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=7205

Edited by Cross888

for the prone animation, do you think a system like max payne 3 would be good? or would that be too difficult to do on bis's budget or perhaps even be viewed as too arcade?

the one where you can aim around with your weapon while in prone and your body reacts realistically. currently you can aim in a rough general direction in prone-lean, if you want to turn around, you will have to spin your body unrealistically, with the system in max payne 3, when you go prone, you're basically stationary, but you can move your upper body around freely. i think combined with the wiggle system in arma 3, it would be very useful, but difficult to implement.

I'm really happy that Smookie is looking into climbing ladders animations, it's one of 2 animation issues for me in Arma3. Second is reloading grenade launcher animation. There is no grenade in the hand, but I believe it will be fixed together with rocket for launchers, but for me main issue is that weapon model is statc. Chamber doesn't open in animation and I can't image thrusting grenade through the weapon model. Just take a look how I imagine it should be (not the best examples, but you will get idea):

In above animations chamber/barrel is opening, I believe MX rifle series would be enough modern to use above reloading grenade launcher system.

Of course there are also other grenade launchers, which can be reloaded this way:

and this is only what we have currently in arma3 (type of animation). GL (weapon) doesn't need to be animated itself, only the hand for this kind of launchers. But I would like to see other underbarrel grenade launchers animated well too. Edited by ddeo

I don't want to make a new thread for this, I think this one will do.

I've fiddled a little with AT soldiers (Bluefor and Opfor) and found some odd behaviour regarding animations.

Stand up position

1. When you equip a soldier with AT weapon, you can't crouch.

2. If you hit prone key, soldier puts AT weapon on his back, equippes the rifle and remains standing.

3. Equip your soldier with AT weapon. Use binoculars. Sodier puts AT weapon on his back and looks through binoculars. When you unequip binoculars, soldier puts it in a pouch, equips AT weapon, then puts AT weapon on his back and finally equips the rifle.

Crouched position

1. When you equip a soldier with AT weapon, you can stand up. Of course, you can't crouch again.

2. If you hit prone key, soldier puts AT weapon on his back, equippes the rifle and remains crouching.

3. Equip your soldier with AT weapon. Use binoculars. Soldier reaches for binoculars with his left hand, while holding AT weapon with his right hand on his right shoulder, which I think is great. But when you unequip binoculars, soldier puts it in a pouch, puts AT weapon on his back, and equipes the rifle.

Prone position

1. When you're prone, try to equip your soldier with AT weapon. He stands up and equips it.

2. Binoculars work fine, but animations are like 2 times faster, it's like watching a silent movie.

Inventory

Go to crouched position, equip AT weapon. Go to inventory. Exit inventory. First tap run key once. (mine is RMB) Start running. For approx. 5 seconds soldier is sliding on the ground, there is no running animation. If you dont tap run key, but hold it down instead, animation is fine.

EDIT: This is on non-developers version 0.56.104778

I've fiddled a little with AT soldiers (Bluefor and Opfor) and found some odd behaviour regarding animations.

I don't think this one will do. Why? Because everything here is said is a restriction since Operation Flashpoint.

Normally you should perform a search in the ArmA3Alpha-Bugtracker but I've just given up the hope.

When you want to have these things get repaired, you better open a new thread for this.

icon14.png You have my full support.

I posted a ticket for the fast pitter patter of feet when sidestepping in tactical pace with a pistol.This blew my mind that arma2 had that sound sample for the 4 yrs it was around and hopefully it will not just be overlooked in arma3.Post a ticket and I'll vote.

The occasional "siding" does not look nice, but I'm sure it will be sorted out by the final version. Still, it's a minor issue and I'm pretty happy with the fluid controls now.

Btw, I liked most of the ArmA2 animations too, but it felt bad that you had to wait a split second to start moving after you pressed the movement button, because your character would first move his arms closer to his torso and then start moving.

AT animations are a mess.

Binos animations are a mess.

Combine both and you have a trainwreck.

Add a pistol in the middle and the party is complete.

AT animations are a mess.

Binos animations are a mess.

Combine both and you have a trainwreck.

Add a pistol in the middle and the party is complete.

Oh man that made me chuckle good.:)