tvig0r0us

[MP][TVT/COOP] Total Conquest for Arma III

any plans of making the "all stratis" like these?

I can do that, but it probably won't happen till I implement all of the new stuff. I'm kinda hoping we'll have the beta by then tbh. I want the third side in there and planes too. We'll have to see what happens, but I think things will be much better when we get more assets in the game from bi.

I don't know about everyone else, but the latest dev versions have rendered much better framerates for me, which I find quite encouraging. I hope the game keeps improving like this. I can't say enough for how responsive BI is to the community. It's a shame that this isn't the template that other game developers follow, but one thing's for sure, they set the standard in my eyes.

I honestly have another thought that's been brewing in my mind for a long time as a mission for arma. I have already made it happen for Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, even though that's taboo around here. Anyhow, I made a totally epic mission for that game called Squad Level Tactics and I would really like to recreate something like it in arma. Urban Conquest has developed into a cool mission in my eyes, but it will never be the tactical masterpiece that SLT was. If I can reproduce that in Arma I think it will truly be a great mission.

Anyhow, I am hoping to put the wraps on UC so that I can move on. UC to me is exactly what I would want from an arma mission from day one, now lets see if I can put together something else. I'm working on the changes I mentioned and will post the update as stated in my previous post. I hope in the meantime you are all enjoying the latest update.

Cheers

Anyhow, I made a totally epic mission for that game called Squad Level Tactics and I would really like to recreate something like it in arma.

Hi - I'd love to hear more about that when you have some spare minutes (how does it work, whats it about, etc?). Good to hear about the scoring btw, and semi/persistent groups sound kinda nice too. Not sure if too many people realize this but in regards to using the tasks menu to place waypoints on the areas, folks should know you can do that right now by simply left shift+click on map and you'll get a waypoint carrot on your hud with distance in meters so you have a visual cue as you are running along. What might be really useful though would be to have some sort of visual cue as to what the status of an areas is once you enter it such as a progress bar or even something more simple and non animated like a "hint" or a colored box or something so we wont have to check map too much to see colors.

BTW - since you are feeling a bit inspired by improved frame rates perhaps i should take this opportunity to remind you about what I had mentioned a couple days ago where it might be easier for you to make 1 single mission out of UC that contains all the towns/areas from all the versions but only certain areas will get initialized at mission start via the param screen. Via the param screen the player can choose either how many areas he would like set to capture, or which area of the map he would like to play in (northeast, west, south, central, etc). Know what I mean, or something along those lines (whatever you feel would work best). If you do this then from that point on any editing or changes would only require you to work on the one mission file, instead of always having to rework 5 or more versions like you do right now. It wold also set you up much better and easier for when Altis releases since that will have even more areas and having a single file would be nice at that point.

Anyway...im all excited youre working on this puppy, and look forward to hearing more about that new mission youve been pondering for later on :-)

Holy shit, that is an excellent idea man. Makes a lot of sense as well only having to edit one mission rather then all of them when you want to make changes.

Quick status report:

-Scoring system - done

-Tasking system - done

Will host Agia Marina later today on my dedicated server. Game version will be dev branch. UC version 007. Please stop by this evening and help me test :)

Hey TVig when you move on to the Airplanes and the beta port these over for us infantry types will ya. Love these missions. Great job

Quick status report:

-Scoring system - done

-Tasking system - done

Will host Agia Marina later today on my dedicated server. Game version will be dev branch. UC version 007. Please stop by this evening and help me test :)

I'm on non-dev alpha here

Sorry. Dev branch is running really smooth on the last couple of updates. You can always switch back. I'm keeping my server on the dev branch though.

Cheers :D

New status update:

-Scoring system done

-Tasking system done

-Persistent squads done

Server is up and running. I won't be able to jump on until later because I'm going to my bday dinner, but feel free to jump on and give it a go!! Everything seems to work well. There is no provision for a player joined to a player squad if the non leader player dies, but leader players will be rejoined by their squad when they respawn.

Server name: Urban Conquest 24/7

Dev Branch with latest update.

Running Urban Conquest v007 Agia Marina

See you on the battlefield... I hope!

holy cow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy :yay:

Will try and jump on if I get a chance but usually stay away from the dev builds. I don't have performance or other issues with the regular branch so no real need for me to run dev. I will install to test though like I said if I have time.

I will give it a try too, but since all our public community servers (and generally most servers) are running on stable build, i don't suppose dev branch will have a breakthrough in the near future (unless they release the dedicated server exe).

ok you are scaring me I see 006 for download on ModDB but you say 007 is running on the server... wheres the 007 download? I know I will get the mission off the server but I was hoping all of the missions were done as 007 version as well. Thanks

I need someone to join the test server while I'm on so I can test the player squad rejoining feature. If it all works I'll release it.

Urban Conquest 24/7

It's still dev branch

I tried to connect a few times this evening. Always "connection failed".

Are you hosting locally? Are you sure, your 2302 port is open?

Cool down, it is probably just a testing/beta session.

Am calmed down I know TVig I am just seeing if somewhere I missed an update. I have a "small" collection of missions we are familiar with and wanted to make sure I haven't missed a version for my collection is all.

I tried to connect a few times this evening. Always "connection failed".

Are you hosting locally? Are you sure, your 2302 port is open?

It appears I'm having some kind of a stupid network issue. Go figure, when I need to test something no one can get on my server. I'm trying to work it out.

I've managed to pull off a couple of decent test sessions. As a result of the tests I've reached the following conclusion.

Due to localization issues, I've decided to remove the ability to join player teams since it causes issues with persistent squads on respawn. It seems to me that it was a rarely used future and obviously serves no purpose in a match with only one player. This seems to me a fair tradeoff for persistent squads, which are working flawlessly. I also observed a couple of other minor problems that I've tracked down and fixed. All in all I'd say the 007 version has every feature that has been asked for and runs as well or better than any of the previous versions.

I'm have the four map layouts done already, but I'm considering the addition of a couple of the layouts that came with v005. I'll post some time in the coming week. The server is up and running 24/7 at this point hosting Agia Marina by default if you want to try it out. I'm not sure what the source of the connection problems was as I've had a few error free sessions since the problem was reported.

Edited by tvig0r0us

Wait, you can't create squads with other players anymore? :(

The issue with non persistant player squads bugged us the most. Usually we only recruit AI occasionally.

Will there be a choice to join a player squad in the server browser, similar to other missions?

tvig, are you saying that if a player joins another player while playing then recruits AI to that group, then it bugs out? Have you tried to make premade groups via mission editor and try that out yet? Not sure if it will work or change anything, just throwing out some ideas. I think that a player can leave a "premade" group once they join into game. I could be wrong though.

OR

Only make like 2 premade groups for players who want to be grouped with their friends and then leave the other slots solo for those who want to recruit AI. I know a person can do this on their own (if they know what they are doing) but again, just throwing some suggestions out there to help "please everyone". If suggestion one would not work, then suggestion 2 should keep everyone happy.

Edited by x3djokerx

LOL, I would have preferred you dropped the persistent squads and kept in the join player teams! But can't please everyone and will be happy with what you release when it gets released.

Ultimately I would have liked to have player's joining player teams and persistent squads at the same time. There are localization issues when selectUnit and join/joinSilent are used together. The entire spawning system will be defeated if I use premade squads, but that can be handled by individuals wanting to mod them mission. The join player group action remains in the script so it could be reactivated in the player actions script by an adept scripter.

If anyone has a solution to this I would love to have it all work, but this is a BI issue that has unfortunately prevented me from executing my plan the way I had hoped. In all honesty, there was always a problem with the player groups because if there were AI recruits before the second player joined the squad and the leader player dies, it leaves an AI in charge of the squad and that was never intended.

I'll wait to release 007 pending some amicable solution for this problem... lemme think on it, I'm sure there's something I can do. It's pretty rare for me to run into a problem I just plain can't solve with some resourceful coding.