tvig0r0us

[MP][TVT/COOP] Total Conquest for Arma III

This is a mission not a mod. If you want to host the mission then you can download the mission and host/play it. Or you can find a server running it and just join.

mods are a whole different story.

Ah ok, ok I understood :)

Anyway is strange that a so good mission doesn't have popularity...! There are a lot of wasteland and other things similar to each other...

actually I host this mod 24/7 on my server. The thing is I have altered a bunch of stuff to the way my regulars want to play and hence I have it locked to only a set group of people. The reason I do not have it open to the public is because of the modding I did to it and I do not want tvigorous getting pissed that I altered his code and made it public. Basically what I suggested a few posts back is what I have changed on the version I use on my server. Plus I added btc revive to it as well as norrins aerial extraction script and lastly VAS (for players to be able to select their own equipment).

If tvigorous happens to implement the suggestion I made, I would have no problem running his to the open public 24/7. If i change anything to anyone elses mods, I usually never run them public because it is not fair to the original author of the mod.

Again, I would rather have my player base only spawn at one location and have to move from there as well as be able to select their own gear they want to roll with. eyes this takes a couple extra minutes, but when a player uses VAS he can then save that loadout and then it only takes 2 seconds to reload it later on if you die or rejoin. The call for extraction script and revive script were just some bells and whistles my regulars asked for so i added them.

I look at it this way. I made these missions to my liking, and I do like the way they have turned out very much. If people want to mod the missions to customize them to their liking, I'm totally ok with that. In fact I would encourage people to do that. While I enjoy hearing about people's experiences with the mission, I am not particularly fond of people's suggestions that I change the fundamental mechanics of the mission, which I've seen alot of along the way.

I wrote it to fulfill my vision of a fun mission and I truly enjoy sharing it with other people, but I don't really get the feeling that too many other people enjoy it. That is ok with me too, but don't come here and tell me to change it so that it fulfills your vision of a fun mission, make one for yourself instead or modify it to suit your needs. I think that's totally cool.

I know there are some people that appreciate it for what it is but it seems to me that the general consensus of the gaming community leans towards the post apocalyptic survival game type, which I find a bit disappointing. To each his own though. I think I've just burnt myself out a bit and seeing that there are no servers kinda forces me to take a look at my motives for carrying on with a project that has such little interest outside of a select few people. Maybe I'm just too easily entertained and this mission really does suck.... hell, who knows.

One thing I figured out a long time ago though is that no matter how brilliant of a job I think I've done on a mission, there are always people just waiting to opine about all of the things I should have done differently. It all boils down to this, you can't please everyone. So on that note, I'm going to upload v006 tomorrow with only 3 map layouts because I don't really care to do any more with it at this point. If you like them, good. If not, good. Frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn.

Cheers :D

• Like 1

Well put TVig. You might want to add something to the opening post about it being "done" and you are only doing bug fixes at this point (if you are even doing that). Otherwise the mission stays true to how you have designed it and it doesn't need anymore suggestions on "changes".

I myself am looking forward to v006 and will run it with some folks as you know.

tvig0r0us,

I want to openly apologize if anything I might have said offended you in any way, shape or form.

with that being said, I can honestly say that I totally enjoy this mission. I never meant that what you created was bad or needed changed at all. The reason for my suggestion (for an option to maybe add) was more leaned for a play style I prefer a bit more then what you created. As is, out of the box, this mission is absolutley BRILLIANT! I could and probably never will be able to create something this superb.

Now, I hope you get that thought out of your head that what you created might suck or whatever, because it does not! Hell if it sucked I would not have chosen it as a BASIS for what I would ultimately like to run publicly. Now, with your consent saying you don't mind us altering it to our liking and running it publicly, I am going to download your v006 when you upload it and just tweak it a hair to how my player base wants to play and make it public for all. I will not change any of the credits and be sure that you are given full credit.

Not many mission builders like their work altered and made public, hence why I did not do that. but I guarantee you that you will see your mission hosted 24/7 on my server within the next week. I hope you visit it and let me know if you approve the changes I make or not. Please by no means! ever stop what you are doing. you have some great talent man!

Again, I sincerely apologize if anything I said came out wrong and made you upset my friend.

said it before and Ill say it again...i play lots of 3rd party missions over the years, plenty...ive made a few of my own and ive modified countless others as well (including this one although the only change i made was to add the Virtual ammo box script)...and one thing I can tell you is that this mission in its past and present forms has always been on my top 5 list for being perfect to play either alone or with a small group of friends for quick immediate seat of the pants combat action...especially if you don't need or want to bother with a dedi server. You can set it up to last either a long or short time, whatever you feel like doing. It's quick and easy and offers plenty of replayability. It is what it is and does what it was designed to do quite well without trouble.

For me to have it as 1 of my top 5 means alot to me because I am a picky sob. It's very good for those who like to fight against the AI and play alot by themselves and with a friend or 2 and also when you are not in the mood for a long winded mission with lots of traveling involved.

It does NOT suck, Tvig...quite the opposite in fact, trust me. You know what you are doing....keep at it :cool:

Thank you guys and there is no need for any apology by anyone. As I said, I know that it's going to be impossible to totally please everyone. I think when someone takes this mission and modifies it to suit their desires, then they have done the best thing that can be done. I've always taken that approach to other developers as well, just ask zonekiller. I was modifying his mission and he helped guide me through it so I could learn how to script for arma. I'm not offended in any way, shape or form by anything that anyone has said.

Here's my sick sad little take on mission creating. It's an art. Bohemia has provided us with a giant blank canvas and a shitload of tools we can use to bring our visions of the perfect mission to reality and share with each other. Just like any other form of art, we can show them off to each other and enjoy them together or seperately in any way we like. Just like any other form of art, we all have an opinion about them. Just like any kind of artist, we would all like our works to be seen and admired, but most importantly, we create our works in the image of what we find to be truly reflective of the things we would like to see in our art. The fact that we have differing opinions about the art itself makes us all artists in our own right, but what seperates us is the knowlege of our craft.

I'm not adept at the craft of visual art, so I gladly accept the offerings of those that have mastered the craft. Of course I have opinions about those offerings, but I wouldn't think of going to the artist and telling them they should change their art so that I might find it pleasing. In stead, if I felt that strongly about it, I would pick up a paint brush and create my own images.

Here we have the advantage, through this digital medium, to go back and alter the works of others to suit our needs. Some people do get offended by it, but I am not one. In fact, I'm flattered that one would make my art, or mission in this case, the basis for their own aspirations.

While all of this is true, one still has to ask themselves who their art is ultimately made to please. Sometimes it's easy to let praise be the determining factor in wether or not you're creating the right thing for yourself. When I find myself at that point, I know I've moved to far away from my initial motive for creating the work in the first place. That's when it's time to figure out what is truly a product of my own imagination again, and less a product of the desire to manifest someone else's vision in my own art.

If this makes sense to you, then you should understand exactly where I'm at with this. It's probably way more serious than it should be, but I'm passionate about my art. If this seems like the ramblings of a mad man, then you've probably never spent countless hours trying to share your aspirations with the world at large. In any case, Urban Conquest is what it is. If you want to make it your own, you have my full support. If you want to make it your own but you can't, you'll have to accept it for what it is.

Thank you for your support.

...gets up from the couch and walks out...

• Like 1

A fine analogy... really makes alot of sense. I was just playing through a few of these missions and had a blast as usual...and a question popped into my head as I was looking thru the list and trying to decide which UC mission to pick tonight:

I'm curious to know regarding the future version of UC for Altis...do you have any plans to consolidate all the areas into 1 single mission (using params screen to choose how many towns/areaas to initialize, etc.) or do you plan on breaking up the missions separately as it is now with Stratis? Curious since Altis im guessing will have alot more areas, no?

v006 has been posted and is awaiting approval on Moddb.

- many optimizations

- fixed vehicle commandeer script to not allow commandeer of a player controlled vehicle

- added irregular zone sizes and shapes

- removed depreciated cp size from parameters

- added tasking for each zone

- added zone names

- removed arrow objects for vehicle spawns

- changed all map layouts for new irregular zones

@BigShot

I would be lying if I said I had any plans to make any further changes to UC. I'm of the mind that it's probably time for me to step away from this for a while, but I may pick it up in the future. Thanks for the support :)

Edited by tvig0r0us

oh ok, I thought you had mentioned previously that you had plans to release this for Altis later on, nevermind then :-)

Take care

Downloading now and hoping the Arma3 update that just came out today doesn't break anything. Will likely be hosting tonight so search for host "Urban Conquest"

oh ok, I thought you had mentioned previously that you had plans to release this for Altis later on, nevermind then :-)

Take care

When we have a whole new map and more assets you can probably count on seeing an update ;)

The Armaholic mirror has been updated to v006. Special thanks to Big for maintaining UC on Armaholic. Much appreciated.

tvig

Played new 006 from moddb (couldn't wait!) and I like it. It is a shame that the lovely team you assemble disappears when you die :( Is there anyway to keep that team once you select your new body ?

Apart from that it is working great on DEV version (I only play DEV version as it is an ALPHA :) )

Thanks for keeping on with this tvig.. despite the wife's complaints :p

One question - does 006 require Dev version as well or latest 0.54 stable?

With regards to your previous comments all I can say is don't make missions to satisfy others... make them cause you love doing it and it brings you some strange sense of satisfaction. I'm not very good at it.. but I make a lot of missions for our group (most never even get playtested) and I've realized that it is the act of creating something that is most rewarding... even if no one but me actually plays it.

People will always 'criticize' your work but you must take that as a compliment that they are even taking the time out to post in the thread their thoughts on your creation.

I promise to add your mission in our server rotation in the next day or two (once it passes Quality Control :p). The DWS / fake Insurgency / Domi stuff is getting old already...

Thanks for keeping on with this tvig.. despite the wife's complaints :p

One question - does 006 require Dev version as well or latest 0.54 stable?

With regards to your previous comments all I can say is don't make missions to satisfy others... make them cause you love doing it and it brings you some strange sense of satisfaction. I'm not very good at it.. but I make a lot of missions for our group (most never even get playtested) and I've realized that it is the act of creating something that is most rewarding... even if no one but me actually plays it.

People will always 'criticize' your work but you must take that as a compliment that they are even taking the time out to post in the thread their thoughts on your creation.

I promise to add your mission in our server rotation in the next day or two (once it passes Quality Control :p). The DWS / fake Insurgency / Domi stuff is getting old already...

Unless I'm missing something,it sould be fine for both stable and dev versions. Thanks also for the support. I know exacly what you are saying and that's what I meant with my rant. When I start to put too much stock in acceptance it's time for me to step back for a second. I'm prone to that for some reason. Anyhow, hope you enjoy the new versions.

ok, after playing v06 im a little confused about how the scoring works now. In v05 the first side who reaches the goal score wins but in v06 it seems the goal score is to be the first side to reach 0 tickets left?...Isn't the side who loses all their tickets supposed to be the loser? (at least that's how conquest works in the BF series anyway)...generally holding more towns than the enemy should mean that you'll lose tickets at a slower pace than they will, and they in turn will lose tickets faster...thereby reaching 0 sooner and losing.

I guess you had no choice about this as it must be an arma thing with how the scoring works here?

Edited by BigShot

ok, after playing v06 im a little confused about how the scoring works now. In v05 the first side who reaches the goal score wins but in v06 it seems the goal score is to be the first side to reach 0 tickets left?...Isn't the side who loses all their tickets supposed to be the loser? (at least that's how conquest works in the BF series anyway)...generally holding more towns than the enemy should mean that you'll lose tickets at a slower pace than they will, and they in turn will lose tickets faster...thereby reaching 0 sooner and losing.

I guess you had no choice about this as it must be an arma thing with how the scoring works here?

I'm with you on that as well. I am completely confused with the scoring as I don't bother with "lame" shooters like BF series and tickets mean nothing to me.

when youre reading my post just replace the word "tickets" with "points"...means the same thing (tickets is just the term used from the original Conquest game mode). So the scoring is supposed to work in such a way that whoever holds more towns will cause the other team to lose points more quickly, and whoever loses all their points first (down to zero) loses the match.

when youre reading my post just replace the word "tickets" with "points"...means the same thing (tickets is just the term used from the original Conquest game mode). So the scoring is supposed to work in such a way that whoever holds more towns will cause the other team to lose points more quickly, and whoever loses all their points first (down to zero) loses the match.

Yes. Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something in my changelog. The scoring system changed, but after reviewing your posts I realize that it is not working the way I had intended. I'll have to fix this. For the time being, the first team to run their ticket count to zero wins the game. A team that controls > 50% of the zones will bleed tickets.

I suppose I'll be changing things afterall since I also have grown unhappy with the fact that I have to reassign my task everytime I respawn so I'm going to try and make the task seletion persistent.

Just hang in there with the current system for a while and I'll work it into the next update.

Cheers :)

Reassign your task? Didn't even know, there were tasks in this mission, i just started running into the fight. :D

Or do you mean squads/fireteams? I'd LOVE to have persistent squads in UC006!

After all we already have cap zones, tickets (with ticket bleeds), kits, semi squads. Would build the final bridge to battlefield. ;)

Reassign your task? Didn't even know, there were tasks in this mission, i just started running into the fight. :D

Or do you mean squads/fireteams? I'd LOVE to have persistent squads in UC006!

After all we already have cap zones, tickets (with ticket bleeds), kits, semi squads. Would build the final bridge to battlefield. ;)

Well, the tasks aren't exactly anything outside of capturing zones, but it's good because now there are named zones and you can get a waypoint ingame to let you know your proximity to the center of the zone you're after.

Here are my thoughts on the persistent squads. Without having to modify the mechanics of the game, I think I can make it function so that if you die with a squad, when you respawn they will then rejoin you automatically. This however will not make for squads that persist throughout the entire game. I can at least pull that off without making any major modifications to the ai command system, since they're kind of interconnected.

The ticket system for now is all backwards so you'll be playing to be the first team to run out of tickets. This will change in the future to mirror the battlefield type scoring system, but for now, just remember... if you loose all your tickets, you win.

Not sure what the time frame is going to be on all of this. For those of you that have been following this thread you know I've stated recently that I was going to step away for a while, but I'm not very happy about these issues looming with the scoring system and I've had thoughts about trying to make the squads persistent before, so what the hell. While I'm at it, I may as well go ahead and try to incorporate some kind of base spawn system as well. I'd say it's probably going to be a while so just hang tight with v006 while I get all this worked out.

Cheers :)

Just my two cents. I would be nice to see the scoring fixed in an update and these nice to have features come later.

Just my two cents. I would be nice to see the scoring fixed in an update and these nice to have features come later.

I'm already in the process of straightening out the scoring and persistent tasking is done as of yesterday. I'll release a v007 revisionary update when I get the scoring worked out.