Sign in to follow this  
PTV-Jobo

Endless DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED Crashes

I also have it with a GTX 980, the only successful thing i have done is a driver rollback to 23th September 2014 GeForce Driver. Now the game is running fine, so it's also a problem in the nVidia driver. Already sent them tons of DMP (placed in C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG after each crash), but maybe Bohemia would want to look at some of them ?

There exists a bad crash of various display drivers. It produces very little information besides a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED message. We also know it happens in some other games, but don't deny that this update has potentially increased the frequency for Arma 3. While we work on a fix, we have spotted some users who claim success by downgrading their drivers.

So i can confirm rolling back is in some way a success, but some others games (newer) run bad which isn't great, and change driver everyday to play one game is not a solution ! :p

Anyway, while rolling back i got the same issue in another game (planet side 2 i think), but things went different. After the driver was reloaded, the game itself reset the display so i can see again without restarting the game (tooks only few sec by itself).

Maybe on that point Bohemia can do something ? Because the worst thing is not the error/display lost, it's that the game can't recover/reset the display after the black screen. You have to kill arma3 process or access A3 menu (escape) then alt+f4 to close it. And restart the game is a mission killer :(

Edited by Paul-Hewson

I've tried the game again with latest patch for the game and latest driver, and i already encounter some strange things.

Some launcher made by the community won't show (invisible) or will make the arma3.exe crash instantly. From what i've tried Eryx & AT4 CS made me crash in the virtual arsenal.

As you've said in the last sitrep that you made change for something called "proxy lod weapon", it seems to have introduced a bug too for weapon rendering.

I'll try to get you the exact author name of the launcher that bugged me later tonight.

Got 2 crash in the game tonight, same driver hang up & recovered. So i am still forced to rollback to a very old driver which isn't very convenient as i play arma 3 multiple time in a week along others newest games.

I've upload arma 3 RPT & Windows RPT. Have fun reading them if you read us ! :p

https://mega.nz/#!WYERRbYQ!stvAaUIX8S-BSszxtGa78aTA_YgpeMj6og-8vGKeukI

Of course i'll also post this information on the nVidia forums, hoping someone there will also want to investigate why the driver is so unstable with your game only or mostly.

Edited by Paul-Hewson

3. Desktop recovery:

The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The video memory manager, which is also part of Dxgkrnl.sys, purges all allocations from video memory. The display miniport driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As previously mentioned, some legacy DirectX applications might render just black at the end of this recovery, which requires the end user to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 and later applications that handle Device Remove technology continue to work correctly. An application must release and then recreate its Direct3D device and all of the device's objects. For more information about how DirectX applications recover, see the Windows SDK.

Can you, please, update the game so we have the display back & running while a TDR happen ? That won't solve the problem, but at least we could resume our playing while not having to exit the game.

Can you search for information about that ? Ask microsoft what you have to do ?

I've experienced this while rolling back to an older driver, it was in Planet Side 2 and the game correctly worked after few seconds of black screen.

Edit : I think the last sentence of my quote is the key element for you Bohemia ;)

Edited by Paul-Hewson