Sign in to follow this  
PTV-Jobo

Endless DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED Crashes

Hey all, just got the Alpha today and have to first thank BIS for a wonderful job, even for an alpha. I have a lot to get use to in the way of controls with the stances and stuff, but that aside I love ArmA 3....well...what little I've experienced that is. I posted added feedback for the only ticket I've seen for this [ http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=579

], but hoping in the meantime I can see if anyone else has been dealing with this issue and if so if there's any get-around's.

Basically, ArmA 3 decides to randomly crash completely and pop up a box that says:

DX11 error: buffer Map failed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I believe there are occasions when my Nvidia drivers crash as well with this sometimes. I've read one "cure" was to uninstall ZoneAlarm, but I don't have it to begin with. I did have MSI Afterburner and removed it, but still had the issue. I had the latest Nvidia drivers so I tried reverting to an older December version, and that didn't help. Uninstalled and reinstalled PhysX and that didn't help. Tried running as admin, lowering graphics, etc. All of which did not help at all. I'm pretty much at a loss right now, because I have friends that have pretty close specs as I do and either the same older driver or newer ones (again I've had both) and have no issues.

I have a core i7, 8GB ram, 1GB GTX 570, ArmA 3 on my SSD and pretty much meet and/or exceed System Requirements Lab's results for the Alpha. If I can get around this DXGI thing, I could live with the random crash when trying to launch it and whatever else comes my way. I just hate when I get in and just about getting into the game that this crash pop's up. All I need is for it to have a picture of Tard saying "ArmA crashed? Good!" lol

So if anyone else out there (who happens to not have ZoneAlarm too) and has this, please chime in. I know this is not a good replacement to the tracker, but I'm hoping there might be more out there suffering with this headache and also help vote up so we can get some sort of official fix eventually found.

By the by: I have uploaded and linked to both my rpt/dump files and complete DXDiag uploaded to my Mediafire account via the tracker, in case if some of the more technically-minded individuals on here would like to skim through and maybe help track down just what the hell kind of gremlin is pissing on my ArmA 3 Alpha parade, lol. :p

Edited by Yokhanan

I had the same issue you name. I updated to the latest 314.07 Nvidia drivers and all is well.

I've never used Zone Alarm.

Hey!

I still have this error here.

My rig:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 (oc'ed X3 720) @ 4x3.0GHz

MSI 770-C45

nvidia GTX 260 with latest driver (installed yesterday)

fresh installed Windows 8 Pro 64

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

running ArmA3 from Steam in Windowed Mode @ 1366x768 cause ArmA3-gui steals my mouse-cursor

most things set to low/standard

this graphics card should be DX10 only while DX11 should be installed on Win8, why do I get DX11-errors

situations on error:

switching in options to shadows-low

switching to HDR-off

getting hit (...!)

not constantly but very often

don't know what to do anymore

any hint 4 me?

Thanks Bigbear, glad I'm not too alone with this buggery going on. Pretty much kind of like in BF3--when I am in close quarters moving around fast or finally starting to have fun, the game quits like "NOPE!". Looked through my RPT again and keep seeing this every time the session crashes:

DX11 error : buffer Map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

DX11 - device removed - reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

DX11 error : buffer Map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

DX11 - device removed - reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Virtual memory total 4095 MB (4294836224 B)

Virtual memory free 2775 MB (2910576640 B)

Physical memory free 4921 MB (5160628224 B)

Page file free 10394 MB (10899873792 B)

Process working set 837 MB (878505984 B)

Process page file used 886 MB (929878016 B)

Longest free VM region: 2146803712 B

VM busy 1401581568 B (reserved 351289344 B, committed 1050292224 B, mapped 74944512 B), free 2893254656 B

Small mapped regions: 15, size 69632 B

VID: dedicated: 1293352960, shared 2952343552, system: 0, max: 1034682383, used: 739323904

ErrorMessage: DX11 error : buffer Map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

DX11 error : buffer map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Glad i'm not the only one!

Let's hope we get a fix soon guys!

Anyways got GEforce GTX 680 Lightning

I've experienced the same error message in MP sessions playing both over the internet or LAN. However, I've found a solution that works for me and made my Arma 3 Alpha run all stable: Download and install this DirectX End-user runtime web installer (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35). It might work for others having the same issue... :)

This happens to me exactly 5 seconds after main menu loads right now every time. It's possible to avoid this by quickly going into the editor but the moment I'm back into the menu it happens again.

Please vote on this ticket if it bothers you:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1754

And post your system spec in comments there

(yes you can login there with the same login/password from forums)

I've experienced the same error message in MP sessions playing both over the internet or LAN. However, I've found a solution that works for me and made my Arma 3 Alpha run all stable: Download and install this DirectX End-user runtime web installer (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35). It might work for others having the same issue... :)

you already have a DXsetup in your ArmA3\directx-dir

I ran it and indeed he installed something.

but I got again that error, while watching the multiplayer-serverlist(!), unbelievable but true.

but after that ArmA3 ran quite stable.

My error is reported as "unsufficent memory", not the buffer-error you reported:

DX11 error : CreateBuffer failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY

Virtual memory total 4095 MB (4294836224 B)

Virtual memory free 2852 MB (2990964736 B)

Physical memory free 815 MB (854687744 B)

Page file free 8 MB (8802304 B)

Process working set 736 MB (772571136 B)

Process page file used 788 MB (827207680 B)

Longest free VM region: 2145742848 B

VM busy 1302110208 B (reserved 340353024 B, committed 961757184 B, mapped 72265728 B), free 2992726016 B

Small mapped regions: 20, size 98304 B

VID: dedicated: 919994368, shared 1878089728, system: 0, max: 735995505, used: 255303680

ErrorMessage: DX11 error : CreateBuffer failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY

and crash

Pagefile shows only 8MB free, maybe thats the point

Edited by SmashK

@SmashK:

Prior to DL'ing and installing the DirectX End-user runtime web installer which I talk about in my earlier post, I did also try to run the dxsetup.exe from inside the Arma 3 DirectX folder with no change to my problem. Only after I followed "my" procedure did my DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED issue go away. The directx.exe installer you get via that website and the one inside the Arma 3 folder are apparently not the same version.

Have you tried to see what happens if you run "my" directx web installer?

Edited by CoolFire

nope, will do!

thx for that advise!

thought an one day old ArmA3 contains the newest dx-setup available...:eek:

After a few hours of game play, my error has returned the next day.

DX11 error : Error creating pixel shader :

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I've tried about everything from DirectX, Nvidia drivers ect ect.

It's a shame, after actually playing on day 1.

Using a GTX260 314.07 drivers.

One thing that may help is the game loads with Nvidia 3D enabled, which seems odd?

I'm using a factory overclocked EVGA GTX 670 FTW and I've been getting the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error for several games lately such as Tomb Raider, Hitman: Absolution, Crysis 3 and more. In fact, that particular error has been cropping up everywhere lately for NVIDIA users. It's really weird. I'm thinking that this is an NVIDIA issue. You can even google the error and find recent listings of people having problems with it. Also, if you google "314.07 crash" you can find similar stories, all of them recent too. I believe the driver and the error might be related, but I have no idea what the true cause of it is.

Another idea is that it's a problem with games using new DX11 code clashing with newer video cards.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I had this with crysys 3 with latest anti beta drivers ! Sounds like a Microsoft problem in their last bloody update as nv and anti users had this on crysis 3, if its here too the I'm not happy at all !

the most of the errors are gone 4 me

what I did:

maybe steam update arma3 a bit as shown in another thread

I dl'ed the dxwebsetup, but dx was up to date

I set up an pagefile, can't remember to have disabled it since Win8-install...

within 3 hours of playing only one crash, but not this DXGI-one

I installed the Nvidia beta 314.14, game is playing again :)

If I don't reply in this thread again, it played tomorrow also!

@BigBear:

you do have a board with 2xFX74 and 4xPCIe16 but only one gtx285?

I AM DISGUSTED! :mad:

Go and buy 4xGTX690's !

;)

seriously: What job do u have, what do you earn a month? I need it, too.

I also want such a board, best with 2x6core-Opterons (at least).

Hell, there are ppl out there with really rich daddies...

Why is mine that pure... :confused:

I'm still confused with the error, after installing beta 314.14 I was able to play for hours. I closed the game..reopened and it played.

The next day the error was back, uninstalled all drivers thru device mngr, let windows auto install 314.07 and it played on 1st run, but upon restarting the game, the error returned.

I hope I will not have to rinse/repeat everyday.

@BigBear:

seriously: What job do u have, what do you earn a month?

I bag groceries, income depends on tips :)

Yeah mine went away for a short while and was only crashing by forcing itself into the taskbar but I could still hear the game continuing. The whole desktop was sort of unusable until opened the task manager to see it listing ArmA as not responding and having to manually kill it. But last night this DX thing resurfaced with a vengeance. I was so pissed I even opened a support ticket with Gigabyte directly to see if they could think of anything--especially since my card is the original (and discontinued on NewEgg) they put out and already popped out 2 revisions. I read up and also see people with it in Hitman, Age of Conan and especially in BF3. Looks like while the BF3-like pro's (better graphics, sound engine and capabilities) are here, I'm getting the same crashes which basically keep me from playing the Alpha just about completely, heh. :(

I ran through every single suggestion minus a clean OS install which won't help at all, and maybe lowering the factory overclocks Gigabyte did in-house for these cards. I don't think it's because it is an alpha, because look how long BF3 has been out and plenty who played it suffer the same thing there still. And what worries me is if those guys who have a bigger army of employees and tons more cash they can wipe their butts with and use to light cigars have yet to solve it, I don't know if BIS will be able to track down a fix. So I'm not sure if I should wait and see, or start saving to replace my Gigabyte 560 with a GTX 660/670 (if by some stroke of luck I get rich :P ).

I started getting this error myself just today. Running a GTX 260.

Lowering my resolution to 1280 x 720 got me up and running. I am also running in windowed mode, and CPU count set to 2.

Hope you get it working.

Heres my problem:

In a bunch of missions I get a crash. My game just crashes, minimizes itself and I see my desktop with the ArmA 3 Cursor. However, I can't click anything. I have to get into the task manager and use my keyboard to close the process of arma3, which is set to inactive.

This is the last line of the RPT: ErrorMessage: DX11 error : buffer Map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I use Win8-64bit, System specs below.

Maybe my DX10 GTX285 is the problem. I currently have DX11 installed, however, DX11 should be backwards compatible, right?

Great, I'm not the only one.

My system

i5 2500k

GTX580

8b ram

So, does ATI card crash, too or is it a NVIDIA problem only?

Few of my buds are playing it fine on ATI Cards...

Yeah ran the latest nvidia beta and downclocked my card via Afterburner from 790 to 760 and am generally able to play a lot longer than 15 minutes like before. But I still get it here and there. Still thinking of just buying a new GPU since Gigabyte's tech support sucks. Having to explain the issue to someone who is either not a native English speaker or just completely daft, telling me solutions to issues I'm not even having. I already established it's not heat related, yet they keep telling me to watch temps and also yank the gpu out and try it in other pc systems. Yeah, like I have a whole lineup of extra PC's flying out of my butt that I can just test my gpu in... *facepalm*

I already told them it's ArmA 3 and BF3, as I never get this error with any other games I play (except maybe Saints Row the Third back when it was released). So maybe with a 670 I'll get lucky and avoid this issue. Probably not, but....I'm done with this Gigabyte 570 TI and Gigabyte's useless bunch of ignoramuses in their tech support department.