Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Share your first Arma3 Beta Impressions (all first impression type posts here pls)

The Good for me is:

+Visuals are just astounding

+Rag Doll looks better than Arma 2 with its animations

+Grenade throwing is fast and easy

+Inventory is clean

+Able to swap accessories on guns

+Movements are smooth

+New Stances

+Combat mode

+Supporter medal is, well I have no words for it..:)

The Bad:

-Ai glitches in the ground from a distance

-Textures from long distance start to degrade like in A2

-Helicopters feel too easy to fly

-Shadows need a little touch up

The Ugly:

-PhysX needs some work

Other than that BIS has done a fantastic job even for an Alpha like always and has yet to disappoint me in any way. Keep up the good work :D.

at first i was dissapointed with the game

map is hughe, so multiplayer experience is that u can never find enemy soldiers

my system is higher powered with 3770K at 5Ghz and SLI of GTX680 SOC runing 1306 core each and i get 33fps to 55 and sometimes 60 and that is all high not even ultra (wich doesnt seem to change so much). Game with my hardware if its nearly optimized should pump 60fps rock solid but dont.

map editor is very nice and control of daylight and weather conditions is very nice

graphics of soldiers are awesome, but weapons not so good and so with vehicles

Either way i feel this game will be awesome on the end, dunno why but feels different, Keep improving it !!!

Cheers to all

Sergio

I made a video of this a while ago ->

But to type some things out here as well.

GOOD:

* Animation SMoothness

* Inventory management

* Inventory Space and body, armor, Backpack system

* Weapon Customization

* Vehicle Mirrors + back-side Camera

* First Person In vehicle as gunner

* Physics is a great improvement, not just to tweek it

BAD

* Bad FPS while in a multiplayer server

* Game Crash on random times

There is actually a ton of things one person can name that is good or bad. But it still remains the best fps game that brings out your true skills in realism. GOTY 2013 IMO!

**eats humble pie** Chatted before I know my a$$ from a hole in the ground *crawls into hole* Found information how good the Inventory system is, apologies for my ill-informed post.

Runs smooth, nice graphics, looking forward to more from Bohemia and the community. Check 6

Thanks HBK and Goodnight !!

Edited by Jack_Ryan_
spoke before I knew better

testing out alpha lite version.

what i like so far:

i can change my controls back to arma classic controls.

what i need to get used to:

a tad confusing inventory system compared to a1, a 2,

settings are separated and

what i don't like so far:

movement speed is a bit too fast, but it's not that bad as it looked like in youtube videos.

just finished infantry showcase, and so far everything is as it should be

well except i need to get used to recoil.

i'm quite positively surprised since i expected red river of failure but you guys did everything alright

my only concern so far is difficulty levels i mean 3rd person and markers

Edited by n7snk

Here is my impression so far.

THE GOOD

* Runs pretty good, as good as ArmAII I would say.

* Love the AI, seems more aggressive and less retarded than ArmAII.

* Awesome content, especially love the creativity of future warfare. started getting cancer from all the modern warfare, over and over.

* Love what they did with the view distance, looks a lot better now!

* Everything really looks pretty stunning honestly, considering it is an alpha.

THE BAD

* Dissapointed that I am not able to run ArmAIII smoothly given I do have above recommended requirements as stated by BI, The game does need optimization, and hopefully it will be optimized greatly by end of BETA. I just can't stop tweaking!

* Shadows are a bit crappy when it comes to distance, theres that border line of low/high shadows that still bugs me. Set shadow distance to around 70 and it becomes almost unnoticed.

* Popping of objects detail a bit too obvious if you set object detail to high or lower, which is very distracting when trying to spot other players in the distance. Either need to work on a better transition effect to blend in naturally, or optionally allow being able to keep object detail consistent over distance, instead of dropping detail over distance.

* No benchmarking scenario/showcase for testing and configuring?

* Trees and brushes look horrid, the grass can look better as well. Though I believe these are all only placeholders, I refuse to believe this will end up as final product.

THE UGLY ( IT'S ALPHA )

* A good few things to mention here, but It's an alpha, cant complain too much about it. Just be greatfull =)

I think the Alpha shows alot of potential and i am currently loving it.

I have to say I was a little meh about the A3 alpha at first, but after I've put in some more hours I've come to really like it. I've messed with the editor a bit, but lately I've played mp on a bunch of different servers / game modes, Wasteland is one of them.

The experience seems better with the dev build, it loads up the server quicker and more reliable, often the servers crash though, or the game ctd's if I come back after being afk. Great fps most of the time, and it seems pretty lag free.

The infantry controls are really nice, good feel to it, and the vehicles are quite fun to drive, but I think they accelerate too slow maybe. The AI seems to detect me when I can't see them sometimes, and shoots through trees etc.

Not too crazy about the inventory design, it doesn't look very interesting, but it'll do.

Keep it up BIS you're on the right track.

Edited by Zorg_DK

Here is my impression so far.

THE BAD

* Dissapointed that I am not able to run ArmAIII smoothly given I do have above recommended requirements as stated by BI, The game does need optimization, and hopefully it will be optimized greatly by end of BETA. I just can't stop tweaking!

* Shadows are a bit crappy when it comes to distance, theres that border line of low/high shadows that still bugs me. Set shadow distance to around 70 and it becomes almost unnoticed.

* Popping of objects detail a bit too obvious if you set object detail to high or lower, which is very distracting when trying to spot other players in the distance. Either need to work on a better transition effect to blend in naturally, or optionally allow being able to keep object detail consistent over distance, instead of dropping detail over distance.

* Trees and brushes look horrid, the grass can look better as well. Though I believe these are all only placeholders, I refuse to believe this will end up as final product.

THE UGLY ( IT'S ALPHA )

* A good few things to mention here, but It's an alpha, cant complain too much about it. Just be greatfull =)

i agree on that points mate but we pay for it so...greatfull if it was given for free but wasnt

we have all to contribute to make this game better im runing a very fast PC with SLI and game sucks on FPS they have to fix this

i agree on that points mate but we pay for it so...greatfull if it was given for free but wasnt

we have all to contribute to make this game better im runing a very fast PC with SLI and game sucks on FPS they have to fix this

100% agree!

After watching a friend play, as well as being allowed to play for a time, I can say I'm thoroughly impressed.

I can't wait for the inclusion of jets either in the beta or when the full version comes out :D

The Alpha is better than playing the first time OFP!

I mean it. I loved OFP back then but this time I'm really impressed with the graphics and the smoothness with which the game runs. And I don't get motion sickness anymore while playing (the problem why I could'nt play ArmA or ArmA 2) - you must have down something with the movement, BIS. I have problems with 95% of todays games because of motion sickness. ArmA 3 is the first shooter that runs fine for my head :)

I suppose this isn't exactly my first impression anymore. The alpha released the day my spring break started so I have had a lot of time to put into it, just about 80 hours now. I was surprised by the lack of crashes I have actually been getting, I expected much more. The things that seem to stand out the most for me on the plus side, one of the things anyway, is the inventory system. At first I was a bit confused and skeptical, but now I enjoy it much better then the previous Arma. Another thing is the animations / movements / stances. All these things seem to be nothing but great. Also the way things attach. I feel like I am actually wearing a backpack and not super gluing it to my back. Not too much to say about the negative side. Except the few crashes now and then and a not too often freeze / major fps drop. The AI do not seem to be very improved either, if anything they seem mostly the same. I just hope when I'm flying a jet, I don't get sniped out of it from the ai using a hunting rifle.

I have a fairly decent rig that had issues with Arma 2 mainly because of the heavy CPU load but now it seems to use my GPU a lot more and I'm really impressed, I also cranked everything up to "Ultra" and even set the view distance to 12km and got around 30-40 fps, if I tone it down to like 10km I get solid 60. over all very good game

I can think of a few supposed full game releases that where more buggy and difficult to install and run than arma 3 alpha ..Brilliant job absolutely love it.I did think i might have to buy a new gpu for it but it runs just fine on my ageing ati 4800.

if this is just the alpha build then i cant wait for what you have in store for us for the final release

The good::)

-Great shooting

-Weapons feel great

-Big map

-Nice graphics (No BF3 though)

-Feels authentic military

The BAD:mad:

-Its too much of a simulation that is behind the times. This is a game- would be nice if you could walk around with your map open in the corner. Climb on things and jump. Last time I checked Soldiers can climb over objects and onto them.

-First person movement is too jerky. Its hard to peek out and move in & out of corners smoolthy. Movement is simply too jerky with animation, instead of a smooth movement, especially slowly moving and stopping.

-Single player performs well. Multiplayer drops in frame rate to an unplayable level for no reason.

-Editing scenario mode is hard to figure out because it has no pop up that explains what buttons do.

-No RADIAL Menu for choosing ur weapon or grenades. No RADIAL Menu for Radio communication.

-Inventory is horrible. Unclear what is what, its harder than it should be to customize your inventory. Overall inventory looks terrible.

- Multiplayer server browser is bad.

-Major Performance issues overall.

-Keyboard controls= too complex.

Conclusion

I hope they will polish this game really well, so that it can become one of the best PC FPS games.

Because even though its at Alpha 0.5, it has some major performance issues, and control issues and animation issues, and its due for release in Q4 of 2013 so not a lot of time to fix everything and make a rock solid game.

Arma 2 was released with a ton of bugs, I HOPE Arma 3 wont be that way cause its a somewhat special game that I wish to be really amazing.

Hi BIS

First of all, congratz with your release of the Alpha.

Good:

1.Really great texture and graphic, its lokks beautiful :)

2.Its really nice with the new Physics and ragdoll, yes its a alpha and it can only be better.

3.I love the new customization, adding gear, uniforms and attachments on weapons are super awesome.

4.I like that when you select bluefor or opfor or whatever, you can select a faction under the main faction, its great for modding so the mods dont have to be mixed up ind the original faction, great :) like in A2.

5.Sounds are way better then A1 and A2, but still needing some touch of realismen, take ACE that have these crack sounds and so on, but still i know its an alpha so i think and hope you working on that.

6.Love the "new" way to handle a Mortar (shooting) just like ACE love it, i hope if there will be heavy artillery that they use the same.

7.MIRRORS, damn i like that and the reverse camera, so great.

8.The new animations are great too, but a little slow when changing rifle to gun, its also missed the run and reload ?? and please make it possible to holster a pistol if you only are armed with that.

9.The different stance are much better special with the extra stance modes. like it.

10. Oh and yes ofcourse the Divers, wonderfull, i love it :) plus boats are much better on water, nice that water cant wait for some moddet big ships :)

Bad:

1.First and the biggest thing for me, The iranien troops are too much futureristic, the uniforms are ugly with that black "aircondition" on the neck and and the helmets make them look like flies, but i guess i can live with that :) i hope to change that with a mod or so.

2.Said already, but cant move while reloading or changing weapon.

3.AI divers sometimes cant get on land from water. specialy when they are in a group.

4.again cant holster a pistol, (just like in A1 and A2, thats suck, please make this possible. Thank you.

5.I agree with others, that a 3D editor would be great :)

all in all, great game (alpha) i cant wait for the full release, the alpha runs really good on my PC, and laptop, i was surprised to see the auto settings on both PC's Love it :)

I know you will make the game of the year :D

best regards

Arma Fan Dennis over and out.

I love it. :) I am surprised it runs that well and has so much content actually, being in Alpha stage and all. Can't wait for some good mission and mods like Wasteland and er... zombie related. :)

Thanks to HBK and Goodnight for explaining the Inventory system, I posted before I knew better. check 6

Like the improvements very much. The game seems to like my GPU a bit more than Arma 2 which i'm pleased about, it's certainly been brought up to date visually. I'm really starting to warm to the stance modifier for finding cover etc. I work with audio and the sound engine on the other hand is not so impressive (at alpha stage) with regards to weapons and environmental factors. No early reflections off nearby buildings and objects, reverbs for indoors varying in room size/materials and distant delays/echo's from weapon burst. At the moment there is a great sounding generic rifle shot for all environments. But as the game is still only at alpha stage i'm hoping these things will be implemented into the final product? If not it looks like another JSRS could be on the cards :)

Can't say I'm very impressed.I do like very much some of the changes like the customization,the ragdolls and the pretty graphics,but on the AI front I still see some problems since OFP era.My patience really runs out when I still see AI convoys still a mess or AI drivers running over their friendlies.You had the excuse in OFP and A1 that no one made this kind of game and programming good AI was a challenge.

Ok with that,but A2 came and had the same problems with different excuse,BI said that AI was a mess because some of their devs who made the AI left the company.

Now here comes 2013 with the same crap.Nope,no excuse stands anymore.I don't want AI drivers to take tactical driving courses or some very complicated maneuvers,I just want them to drive from A to B without stopping/waiting/moving/repeat and if possible not to run over some poor friendly AI.Since 2001 you had plenty of time,although I can see that you improved infantry behaviour,your AI drivers when grouped are still in the stone age taking lessons from Barney Rubble.

I realize it's called Alpha not Final Arma 3,but we had the same discussion in Ofp/A1/A2 and people said "don't worry they'll patch it" so I'm willing to bet this will be the same in final version.

I didn't even moved yet to AI flying.I have a feeling that those armed birds are still firing a few shots then flying exactly over the entrenched enemy instead of keeping distance and engaging from there(you know like every normal armed chopper does).

Arma 2 was a "must have", and after trying Arma 3 Alpha, it's difficult to return to Arma 2.

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for the world of simulation"

Congratulations to the entire team of Bohemia Interactive...no doubt...Arma 3 will be the best game in 2013.:yay:

French supporter

I like the game overall, just buggy but I guess that's alpha, can't wait for full release!

The thread is asking for my first ArmA 3 impression, so here it is: WOW, WOW, WOW!

Hey BI, this was really unexpected what I have seen here: A fantastic graphic and a much more stable Alpha than the ArmA 2 first release!!!

Of course a lot is still missing, but what you provided us in the Alpha has a very high quality level. And I really like this model to get the community involved in that early stage, this is really beneficial for both sites and will definetly improve the final version.

Great job so far BI, please keep this high level! :yay: