Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Share your first Arma3 Beta Impressions (all first impression type posts here pls)

Had the alpha since Tuesday clocked 12 hours of play. Loving it, could do with more units and such to play with but i`m happy to wait and play with what i got. Haven't had a single crash or issue with it from install to play its all smooth and lovely.

Spending most of my time in the editor, AI firefights, search and destroy missions, Cqb town clearance, fire support missions, i could go on and on :cool:

I don't have an issue with the graphics, its alpha stage and my system seems to run the game with no problems (AMD FX 8120 @3.5 GHZ. 1GB GTX 550 TI. 8GB DDR3 RAM)

Too much time talking, not enough time playing!

:D

I've logged 8 hours and I love this game.

I was never good at these tactical shooters but it's very fun

Well here goes.

Pros: Muchos improvmenets to the engine, better responsiveness, the map is very detailed and for an Alpha stage release the game has decent performance and stability, finally a decent inventory management

Cons: Still the same crappy control mapping, it seems nothing has changed, except now you have even more keys to map, Gamespy browser, many keys are not explained, redundant or comprehensible, the AI seems very weak in CQC

I really really hope that BIS is finally getting away from the old clunky keybind system / UI. For someone who does not play WASD you have to rebind all keys and it is not apparent what they exactly do. For example I still haven't found out after 3 hours how to use the mounted weapon in the Hunter. Arma 3 is supposed to be a simulator - but does that mean it has to be incomprehensible and have so many redundant controls?

My biggest impression was improved weapon recharge and the sound of screeching wheels on the vehicle driving.

Well just bought and played it for a while, i will not say anything more than, its looking awesome, and its alot better than arma2 even on alpha stage.

BUT there is just one little thing that makes me wondering.

My computer specs are:

GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX CUDA

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition

RAM Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 1600MHz 8GB

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Socket-AM3+

I dont think this is a crappy computer, but still. I can only play on the lowest graphics setting.

Its unplayable even on standard settings getting some rly bad FPS as soon as i look into the terrain.

This is annoying and i dont belive that it should be that high specs on this game. Or am i wrong?

I'v just upgraded my PC especialy for Arma 3 and this what I'v got:

Specs:

2X GTX 680 OC SLI

3770k overclocked to 4.9 (but working only at 4.6 0_0)

12 Gb 1660 DDR3 RAM

all parameters are set to ultra, draw distance is 2200.

So at infantrty showcase, at the same begining, I have about 60 fps, but when I look into terrain it can drops to ~46 fps

at 1st stage of the vehicle showcase results are pretty the same- looking into open terrain=~45, looking somewhere else=60+ BUT on the 2nd stage, where u must to destroy enemy vehicles, ur riding on the big valley, fps drops to 30, even 25! 30 fps on that machine :-((

Helicopter showcase has about 30 average fps.

I really hope that it is optimisation issues and all of them will be fixed

Edited by MisticK93RUS

I'm finding the actions a lot quicker then arma 2 and the gear layout is much easier to understand as well as the ability to remove and attach different attachments 'O' and a blade of grass doesn't pop my tyres.

I'v just upgraded my PC especialy for Arma 3 and this what I'v got:

Specs:

2X GTX 680 OC SLI

3770k overclocked to 4.9 (but working only at 4.6 0_0)

12 Gb 1660 DDR3 RAM

all parameters are set to ultra, draw distance is 2200.

So at infantrty showcase, at the same begining, I have about 60 fps, but when I look into terrain it can drops to ~46 fps

at 1st stage of the vehicle showcase results are pretty the same- looking into open terrain=~45, looking somewhere else=60+ BUT on the 2nd stage, where u must to destroy enemy vehicles, ur riding in the big valley, fps drops to 30, even 25! 30 fps on that machine :-((

Helicopter showcase has about 30 average fps.

I really hope that it is optimisation issues and all of them will be fixed

Oh lord, well i hope it is a optimisation issue to. A friend of mine has more or less the same hardware as i have, and he runs all on high-very high settings.

The difference is that he has an intel processor and i have AMD. And it runs perfect on his machine. It's wierd.

One thing, that have been missing in all previous arma and ofp games... Framerates + 60. I cannot say how big a burden that lifted from my heart, logging in and seeing those 60-70 fps. The new graphic engine truely is amazing, at least on the smaller scales battles that we have currently. There is some stuttering when turning around fast when playing a soldier or faster helecopter (On higher detail settings) which forces me to play in lower detail settings. I assume that it will be fixed eventually - if it isn't I don't really care, I never played the arma series for impressive graphics. I could play in all low for what I care.

There is some issues though, when actually playing the game. While things are more fluid now, it doesn't exactly mean they are more realistic (I assume that is what we are all going for when playing arma right?). Jumping into a helecopter instantly rendered my shocked with how abhortent the controls are. Flying into trees, no probs. Landing on 89 degrees slopes, no probs. Tempest 2000, no probs. The flying at least seem to be majorly mutilated. To easy, to forgiving and to reactive. Wtb realism not modernism (Call of Duty Modernism if you know what I mean lololol)

However, overall, I wasn't shocked at anything, but I wasn't super impressed by anything either. I mean it is essentially just like all the other Arma games. But the graphics engine alone makes it worth it for me at least.

I like the fact that I can set my resolution below my LCD monitor native resolution and still have a clear picture... unlike in ARMA2 where everything is blurry. This means that I can have a more playable frame rate. Thanks BIS. I dont know how you did it, but it works and I'm really gratefull :)

Another thing that I'v noticed: Heavy fps drop (about 15) when camera set to cockpit view in helis :-( Need to be fixed

I got my copy of A3 this morning and OMG BIS really did some loving with arma 3 :)

I got goosebumps when lauching the game :P i wonder what the game will like when it will be released :yay::yay::yay::yay:

Feels totally different from all previous titles and its awesome.

I have tested and i must say the alpha contain less bugs when Arma 2 was launched and is AWESOME.

THE GOOD

* superb Graphics

* Optimized ( i mean more than arma 2)

* Amazing units/units/models/textures

* Awesome Animations (we had a preview on A2 with Smookie :P )

* diving Master piece :)

* love dynamic light & nice laser effect at night

* AI is difficult but still needs improvement ( take advantage of the environment and i havent seen the ai uses the different standing instance ingame)

* driving is much better but still needs improving

* sound is improved and much better. Gun fire has more weight.

* nice muzzle effect/

* explosion effect is well designed we can see mud on the screen if we stay to close. Nice small debris during a huge explosion

* makes battlefield and COD looks like $%^&£$ :)

* AI is not as accurate as in A2. In A2 the AI can e take a head shot 600 m with his ak47 ironsight :(

THE BAD/SAD

* Same problem as In A2 Terrain textture become horrible from a long distance, kinda kill the charm & the ai seems to disapear in the ground (from far away)

* 3d editor (maybe in the finals)

* chopper landing still same as in A2. LAME!. The chopper takes too much time to land

* environment is just overbright even when i tweaked with the brightness.

I've got I5 3570K at 4,1Ghz, HD7870, 8GB of DDR3 1833Mhz... and it runs rather fine... sure in mp at pvp servers with over 70 players it's around 20 fps. Btw guys ;], i was at my friend yesterday and he had AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3,0Ghz with HD4890 and it ran horribly UNTIL... i've cleaned his pc from DUST as it was overheating a lot... clean your pcs btw ;). Oh i'm really impressed by Arma 3, the final game will be a masterpiece.

About 90% of the time when I connect to a multiplayer server, during the loading screen my game would freeze. I would press ctrl+alt+delete and click start task manager in order to get to my desktop and then I would get a message saying that the game had crashed. Does anyone know any possible fixes for this or is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Also my first impressions of this game are really bad as one of the only times I managed to get into the game my computer froze and reset causing my fan to go crazy -_-

Good points :

- Just. Freakin. Beautiful.

- New sleek interface (look & feel).

- New body awareness dynamics are much more responsive, much more dynamic, in a nutshell, much more pleasant.

- Reflex sights now work as they should.

- Still Arma.

- Nice animations.

- Tactical pace is a life saver.

- Infantry mission is nicely scripted (if a bit short).

Bad points :

- Long load times.

- Doesn't run as smooth as I'd like it to be.

- New gear interface is pretty but rather cumbersome.

- New editor layout is disturbing.

Arma 3 is looking good. Very good. If BiS can address some of the performance issues, this game will just be perfect.

Ok...Ooook!:now:

90% people here they are enjoy about the texture---lights---fluid moviment---awesome cloud---unbelived butterfly whit great colors and go on!

But...did you try to test how you feel your weapon in game?...or----How easy/hard you can spot a enemie?---How difficoult it's to aim a target from normal distance? (200mt)...etx..etx

I love the full realism in ArmA 2 whit ace mods, and i am fans too by Bohoemia Interactive from 2001, but here,in ArmA 3,you cant see a enemie in front you to 50 mt whit that filter color like a sunrise terrain (texture objects look like OFP Red Dragon but worse), also if i have disable the motion blur.

And the weapons?....how much weight a assault rifle? Usually can to be from 7.0Lbs to 10-11Lbs (depend whic models) but in this alpha version cannon pirates look more light...in crounch position,in prone it' like arma 2..well done.

The synonymous with more hard is not always accompanied by greater realism...and here dosent make exception!

Como on guys!

Everybody we will be enjoy to play whit ArmA 3!!

I will be the frist one to buy all necessary to upgrade my PC (mine run to 60-80 FPS in arma 3 alpha)...but dont tell me that all is AWESOME, because, or we are talking about 2 different version about arma 3 alpha, or you are testing it like SimCity!;)

ArmA 3 get so many awesome future and options,if comparate whit ArmA 2.

I know that we are talking about a alpha prodouct,but if we wont realy help to optimize it,we must to be honest whit them and whit us.

ArmA 3 whit direct X 11 and some new future/options,like this alpha version,it's still so...so far to be enjoyable like ArmA 2.

Just my 2 cents.....of course.

Best reagards all!

Edited by Enrico

Well, my first impressions were with how beautiful this game is - even on my poor graphics card. The textures and feel of the game are excellent.

Then, I logged into the Infantry taster mission. And died. I had expected the enemy to be just... "There" and... what killed me? That speck in the distance? WHAT!? I smiled broadly as I realized how realistic this felt. I'm not one for war games - I have avoided CoD etc. etc, and really bought this game more to support the company as I liked what I saw. I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have!

After five attempts I finally finished the Infantry taster and literally jumped for joy.

Lord knows what I'll be like when the full game comes out...

What i love:

-Optimisation

-Awesome graphics

-Better controls (feels smoother than Arma 2)

-New stances

-New animations (in/off vehicles, walking etc)

-Ability to raise handguns

-Combat mode (C key)

-Grenade shortcut (G key)

What's bugging me:

-W+S to walk

-Some ironsights could look better

-I'm not too much into futuristic things (yeah, that's very personal)

-Missing stance and stamina indicators (why my character is not running?! how long before i can stabilize my aim?! how low am i crouching now?)

-Bad field of view in vehicle (have to go 3rd person cam to drive..)

What i'd like to see:

-Fastest running speed is too fast imo (not realistic and hate to see players running super fast everywhere)

-Running time is too long (wished characters get tired faster to avoid, again, the "people run everywhere")

-More animations: Opening the vehicles doors while getting in and out?

-Better animations (probably planned i know..) for example exiting vehicles and facing 90 degrees left side feels strange imo

-Holstering any weapon

One day playing behind , here's some:

+Really good looking!

+Movement is easier and smoothier compared to arma 2.

+Inventory looks nice and gives good overview.

-For new players it's hard to see whose friendly and who's not. Small text appears on player when aimed on and it don't seem to work always. I'd prefer text above teammate at all times.

-Armored cars flips on its roof easily.

-Standard machinegun with scope works better in sharpshooting than the actual heavy sniper class.

Day one:

+Game is Pretty optimized for an Alpha on singleplayer

+Visuals are amazing

+Smooth movement/turning

+Stances, Stances, Stances!!

+Combat mode

+run/walk is nice but stops you

+Easy button configuration which act fast

+Grenade throwing made easy

-Bad shadows

-Multiplayer not optimized enough

-crashes (Alpha so this happens)

-buggy showcases

-Cant figure out how to use flashlight on guns or if it's even possible yet

-PIP low-ultra all give same amount of performance and look the same

3/12/2013

+Dev build & good server is actually playable (but still needs better cpu usage, etc.)

+Visual tweaks are nice

+Improved shadows but still have issues

+Almost performance on multiplayer as singleplayer

Game is taking a good turn and this is something I rarely see now days.

I noticed there is an industrial building with a door that would normally be rolled up/down, and think that door would best be left open or even made usable if possible (perhaps problematic with the lighting if the room inside was dark from before). Not sure if there was any other door leading into that room behind the "roller curtain" door.

Since there is really no other place to post this, I must say that the Supporter medal is Splendidâ„¢, just as Korneel stated they would be. Whoever designed these did a great job!

The good:

- Beautiful

- I need a new PC ASAP(Yes good imo)

- Love the interface

- Gameplay is tight

- Stratis is only 15% of the whole game ?!?

- I got to be a seagull for a while :)

- Way too much to list!

The bad:

- Cannot climb over fences/covers/small walls(Yes i know about "v" and the awkward side-stepping... NOT GOOD ENOUGH!). PLEASE add this possibility. *begs*

- The new stances would be even better if instead you could use CTRL(or other button)+MOUSE WHEEL to adjust your height VERY precisely. CTRL+W or S is nice but i think you could go one step further and make it completely adjustable. *begs some more*

- No way to find a friend on a server. You already show the names in the server browser, why not put another entry in the filter menu to look for someone? :D

- The server browser is not listing servers in a consistent way. The refresh button needs to be smashed a few times to get everything sometimes.

- Physx needs to be tweaked a bit. It's almost impossible to flip your vehicle, it comes back on it's wheels. It's cool you say? In a simulator? I'd prefer to flip the vehicle because i fail at driving. Then i'd have to get towed back on my wheels! Am i too hardcore?

- Lack of announcement AFAIK about Occulus Rift support. TrackIR is awesome, i'm actually gonna try it ASAP but the rift is making me destroy my pants each time i read about it. *licks yo boots* (Complete OVR fanboy over here)

- Game doesn't seem to save my audio options.

The rest is performance stuff. But alpha means not yet optimized so no point in mentioning obvious stuff like crashes and low cpu/gpu usage.

This game is epic. I can't wait to see what's next for it. :D