terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Thanks, what is the text to put in for the vanilla missions, I cant find this anyone I must be getting blind in my old age. Sorry, but this is my first time running an Arma server, thanks.

Im trying this on a 2008 R3 65bit server with x5650 100mbit+ connection.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg explains it

Are you saying the Vanilla Arma2 missions work in the Alpha?

I couldnt see any Vanilla Missions actually on the server, so added TDM Deathmatch by Stapo thanks to Alex sending it to me. Stroke of luck really because EVERY other mission we have tried has either crashed, or had fatal flaws. Anyhow, missions is for another place, just wanted to check if Vanilla ones exist for the alpha was all.

ArmA2 missions wont work out of the box for A3.

The reasons.

They will use objects, units weapon classnames that arent avail in A3

They will use islands that arent avail in A3

They need to be ported over by competent mission makers/editors first

I have removed the missions cycles section from my server.cfg file, now players must vote for missions. Is anyone able to be totally clear and provide a server.cfg file that actually works. My server is stuck in creating and I can't start missions. Thank you. Like I said I am yet to find a fully end-to-end guide. Thanks once again.

I have the same problem, the script is great but when the server crashes you get a box that tells you its crashed and you have to click close for it to kill the application, otherwise the script thinks it still running. I also have windows reporting turned off and I still get this problem.

I was able to fix this on our Windows 2008 box... Just follow the guide at the link below... There is a command to run and two reg entries to update...

http://otland.net/f138/disable-error-dialog-windows-server-2008-vista-68954/

I was able to fix this on our Windows 2008 box... Just follow the guide at the link below... There is a command to run and two reg entries to update...

http://otland.net/f138/disable-error-dialog-windows-server-2008-vista-68954/

Or you could just follow this:

1. Open start menu and type “gpedit.mscâ€. The Local Group Policy editor will appear.

2. Navigate to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Error Reporting

3. Edit the entry for “Prevent display of the user interface for critical errorsâ€

4. Set it to Enabled.

Yep, that works, and thanks for the bat, just magic.

BTW does anybody know why some servers are yellow in the browser? and yes, mine is one of them.

Yep, that works, and thanks for the bat, just magic.

BTW does anybody know why some servers are yellow in the browser? and yes, mine is one of them.

one machine is -dev build and the other not possibly

I had Corrupt files, all fixed now.

Server runs fine, and crashes.

It uses around 40% for one person as a baseline on a X5650 2.67GHz 1GB and 250MB memory.

High. I have followed all the given steps.

Ran up my server and got it going.

Console says : 19:02:53 Dedicated host created.

19:02:55 Host identity created.

19:10:53 Player pcpc connecting.

19:10:54 Player pcpc connected (id=14248176).

19:11:40 Player pcpc disconnected.

So some can also connect.

I just seem to not be able to find it in the ingame browser. I am filtering "DLWGamers Dedicated Server" name. Nothing else is set.

Here: is my config.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "DLWGamers Dedicated Server"; // As seen in the Gemspy Browser

password = "dlw"; // Comment out if no password required

passwordAdmin = "<Removed>"; // Password to become server admin.

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"Welcome to DLWGamers A3 Alpha server",

"",

"Please join us on our TS = ts.dlwgamers.com",

"",

""

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers = 20; // Maximum amount of players.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 1; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin, new map

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 8; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still runs on even after the last player disconnected.

I have found the server but it is not using the config. It starts up with the name OWNEROR-CD6K7DK

It starts up and I can connect but it has a player count of 0/64 when I want set to 0/20 and is un-pass worded.

Any Suggestions?

#EDIT# Found the problem. The config was saving as a .txt file.

Now how do I add maps? I do not understand this -profile thing!

Edited by Incus

one machine is -dev build and the other not possibly

No, I tried both builds, still yellow both times.

Now how do I add maps? I do not understand this -profile thing!

If you don't know what -profile is then you wont be needing it.

To run user made maps, simply upload them directly to your MpMissions folder located in your AtmA 3 installation directory.

Log back in as admin and you will then be able to load and play on them

Hardware:

4x 2.0 Ghz i7 Xeon (SB-E architecture) CPU

8 GB of RAM

100Mbit/s connection

A few notes on performance and such we have determined while running a public server with organised coop play and some TvT with our pistol carnage maps.

- We can't push past 26 players without a server crash eventually happening. 26 Players is 24 hours stable for TvT and coop.

- With the server fully populated and with a reasonable amount of AI (60) we see server FPS that is 20-40.

- Fully populated the server will utilise about 8Mbit/s of upload bandwidth and just 2Mbit/s download.

- The server never goes above 2 cores used fully at any time, ie 200% usage.

We have found no real difference with tweaked Arma 2 network bandwidth settings or all defaults (empty file). The performance is reasonable in both cases and bandwidth usage is mostly unchanged. Tweaking the settings does not fix the crashing on larger numbers of players.

this is pretty much my summary as well. I can run 65 people for 2-3 hours but it will crash. Sometimes the server lasts for 10-20-30-40 minutes, other times a few hours. My RPT file grows by the second. (running wasteland mission)

Not sure if its been mentioned, I've managed to get multiple servers running on one machine with simply making multiple copies of my steam directory and updating the start in and target on the shortcuts.

Picture

1. Make a copy of your steam directory that you've got the server working on.

2. Paste copied directory.

3. Goto properties on the shortcut and simply update the new target and start in location.

4. Run each shortcut let the server start and just kill the steam process after each one has started.

I don't understand this messing about trying to get multiple servers running when there's a simple and easy method.

Just create a new text document in the Arma 3 directory (steamapps/common/Arma 3) called "steam_appid" put "107410" inside it, save it then enjoy running multiple instances.

I don't understand this messing about trying to get multiple servers running when there's a simple and easy method.

Just create a new text document in the Arma 3 directory (steamapps/common/Arma 3) called "steam_appid" put "107410" inside it, save it then enjoy running multiple instances.

Would be nice if you could enlighten us more with what this actually does

Figured there was a simple way, front page still says can't run multiple instances because of steam; only reason why I mentioned it. Wasn't aware of that method.

Edit: It does seem to work as he says.

Would be nice if you could enlighten us more with what this actually does

It seems to bypass Steam and just directly launches the application hence the lack of "app already running" message preventing you from opening multiple instances.

This method has also been used in order to play games on Steam before their launch date in other territories, but thanks to Steam encrypting data this has been prevented.

Edited by Pridit

It seems to bypass Steam and just directly launches the application hence the lack of "app already running" message preventing you from opening multiple instances.

This method has also been used in order to play games on Steam before their launch date in other territories, but thanks to Steam encrypting data this has been prevented.

Seems to work fine.

For anyone that needs simplier instructions,

Create a steam_appid.txt file in your arma 3 root folder

Put 107410 in it, and hit save

Paste/or create a new server config for each new server you want to run

Create a new shortcut of ArmA3.exe for each server, and point it to the individual configs.

Edited by Suspense

Create a steamappid.txt file in your arma 3 root folder

It has to be called exactly "steam_appid".txt anything else won't work.

You're all confusing ppl.. lol.. is that hard to use the bbcode and the bold? :) The filename is:

steam_appid.txt

Hi Everybody,

Steam always says "its not possible to play this Game in offline Mode".

What the Hack did i wrong ?

Its a Win2008 R2 Root, and this is the Target in the Shortcut: "D:\Gameserver\Arma 3\Arma3Alpha\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -server -config=A3TestServer.cfg

Best Regards

Heady

Everything works beautifully and got the dedicated to work. But it only sends out via LAN and doesn't report to the INTERNET. I can find the server on my client side if I select LAN, but it won't show up INTERNET. Any idea?

Hi Everybody,

Steam always says "its not possible to play this Game in offline Mode".

What the Hack did i wrong ?

Its a Win2008 R2 Root, and this is the Target in the Shortcut: "D:\Gameserver\Arma 3\Arma3Alpha\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -server -config=A3TestServer.cfg

Best Regards

Heady

You need to expand on "What the Hack did I wrong".

Are you seeing a console window ?

Are their any .rpt entries that look odd ?

did you forward your ports ?

"" It does not work"" type of statement does not really help anyone to help you.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Everything works beautifully and got the dedicated to work. But it only sends out via LAN and doesn't report to the INTERNET. I can find the server on my client side if I select LAN, but it won't show up INTERNET. Any idea?

If tou can see the console on the backend, small grey box window, then its most likely a firewall issue

Go back to the front page and make sure you followed all the steps

If you are running a client and a server on the same rig, did you change the port numbers

Firewall ??

I need help i have a dedi running windows Server 2008 web edition i have dayz servers running on there and arma2 servers but i cannot get arma 3 to run at all i keep getting D3D11.dll errors i have followed every step here to fix this issue but to no fix is there anyone willing to help me out here please if so add me to steam simc47 or pop on my TS3 193.200.158.226:9988 could really do with the help i only want to run 1 server for my clan

Edited by reaper021