terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Ehm, how can i now update arma3 with steamcmd? this s**** is really a pain. I dont have to Change the branch number? And still add beta? Hmmmm..

Edited by Numrollen

I've followed these instructions and, apart from a battleye error (solved by adding BattlEye=0 to the config file) it seems to have gone smoothly. I can search and find my server in the client server list but it says Require: 1.05 in the bottom right, where my Arma3 client is at version 1.04.11745. I have tried removing the -beta development switch from the updater.cmd file but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. How do I get the server to update to the current version that is on steam?

just leave -beta there, only delete development. this worked for me. on a update, just start the same again. strange but it works. welcome back to 1990 :D

Edited by Numrollen

How can i change mission?

I started the server and followed the tutorial.

I login with #login password.

The serverlogs says that I'm logged in as admin. But i have no mission list. How to change mission?

How can i change mission?

I started the server and followed the tutorial.

I login with #login password.

The serverlogs says that I'm logged in as admin. But i have no mission list. How to change mission?

after logging in as admin, type #missions (into the same chat box you used for #login) to get the current mission list available on the server

a simple noob question?

i can only update the server with the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd (i have the same, sample here in first post) ?

or I need to change something in the updater.cmd ?

Thanks

for stable and if using the .cmd file defined in the initial post, use

SET A3BRANCH=107410

for stable and if using the .cmd file defined in the initial post, use

SET A3BRANCH=107410

I am running into an Issue using the Auto Update Script with the latest patch. It acted like it fully downloaded and updated, but the server does recognize the new version. I get the following error when I attempt to Update:

"App State <0x506> installed, progress: 100.00 Error! App '107410' state is 0x606 after update job. CWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work complete queue not empty, 1 items discarded."

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

re run the cmd file, it will verify all the files

if that doesnt fix it, delete the folder at the top of the a3 install, the one that is just a bunch of numbers and letters and re run the batch file

It is not uncommon for the patching to be corrupted

I am trying to run an Arma 3 dedicated server on one computer on my network and use the other computer as a client. When doing this, I am unable to connect to that server.

Using the same settings, however, I am able to connect to my dedicated server when I use the SAME computer as the client. Windows firewall is not a factor as both computers have it disabled.

Any ideas?

re run the cmd file, it will verify all the files

if that doesnt fix it, delete the folder at the top of the a3 install, the one that is just a bunch of numbers and letters and re run the batch file

It is not uncommon for the patching to be corrupted

Thanks for the help. I ended up having to do that twice and reinstall steam cmd to get it to work. Lovely patches.....

I am trying to run an Arma 3 dedicated server on one computer on my network and use the other computer as a client. When doing this, I am unable to connect to that server.

Using the same settings, however, I am able to connect to my dedicated server when I use the SAME computer as the client. Windows firewall is not a factor as both computers have it disabled.

Any ideas?

are you using different ports for steam, eg on the server don't use default

Hi, I have setup a server on a separate pc on my LAN running Windows 2008R3 using this guide.

On my gaming PC (on the same LAN), I can see the server listed on the internet, but not connect to it. The game shows as "Creating"in the ARMA 3 server list.

I believe I have set it up to use different steam ports...although the log indicates it is not using the ports defined in the cfg?

The server is executed using this command.

D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport		=2300;
steamqueryport        	=2301;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname        	= "Skaro : Private server";        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
//password         	= "somepassword";            		// Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin         	= "mypassword";                		// Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP         	= "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";            	// This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly
logFile            	= "A3Master.log";
verifySignatures     	= 2;

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={
   "",
   "",
   "",
   "__________     SYSTEM MESSAGES __________",
   "Welcome to Skaro",
   "IMPORTANT   Verify Signatures is enabled",
   "",
   "",
   "TS3 Server:     none",
   "Web:            none",
   "TS3 Server:     none",
   "__________     END OF MESSAGE __________"
};
motdInterval 		= 5;            // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
maxPlayers		= 7;		// Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers	= 1;        	// Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold		= 0.1;     	// 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective
//voteMissionPlayers	= 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN		= 1;        	// If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality         = 8;        	// Quality from 1 to 10
persistent		= 1;        	// If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions
{
         class Mission1
        {
             template="Operation_Whiplash.Stratis.pbo";
             difficulty="Regular";
         };
};

kickDuplicate = 1;
equalModRequired = 0;
requiredSecureId = 2;
timeStampFormat = "short";

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";					//
onUserDisconnected = "";				//
doubleIdDetected = "";					//

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// unsigned data detected
onHackedData = 	"kick (_this select 0)";	//"ban (_this select 0)";			// tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";

The server console shows the following.

12:27:28 Dedicated host created.
12:27:32 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.178)
12:27:32 Host identity created.

The arma3server log has this...

=====================================================================
== D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe
== "D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

Exe timestamp: 2013/11/29 14:29:19
Current time:  2013/11/30 12:27:27

Type: Public
Branch: Stable
Version: 1.06.112613

Allocator: D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll
=====================================================================

Updating base class ->Base, by a3\dubbing_radio_f\config.bin/CfgHQIdentities/PAPA_BEAR/
Updating base class ->Base, by a3\dubbing_radio_f\config.bin/CfgHQIdentities/AirBase/
Updating base class ->Wreck, by a3\data_f\config.bin/CfgVehicles/PlaneWreck/
Updating base class ->RscText, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayCapture/controls/TimeLines/
Updating base class RscControlsGroup->RscControlsGroupNoScrollbars, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/controls/ModIcons/
Updating base class RscPicture->RscPictureKeepAspect, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/IconPicture/
Updating base class RscListBox->RscCombo, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayCustomizeController/Steepness/
Updating base class ->RscStandardDisplay, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayControlSchemes/
Updating base class ButtonOK->RscButtonMenuCancel, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayControlSchemes/controls/ButtonCancel/
Updating base class RscButton->RscButtonMenuOK, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayControlSchemes/controls/ButtonOK/
Updating base class RscPicture->RscPictureKeepAspect, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayFileSelectImage/controls/OverviewPicture/
Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenuCancel, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayFieldManual/controls/ButtonCancel/
Updating base class RscButton->RscButtonMenuCancel, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayPublishMission/controls/ButtonCancel/
Updating base class RscShortcutButton->RscButtonMenuOK, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayPublishMissionSelectTags/controls/ButtonOK/
Updating base class ButtonOK->RscButtonMenuCancel, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayPublishMissionSelectTags/controls/ButtonCancel/
Updating base class ->RscSubmenu, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscMainMenu/
Cannot update non class from class a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscCallSupport/Items/
Cannot update non class from class a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscRadio/Items/
Updating base class ->VehicleMagazine, by a3\weapons_f\config.bin/CfgMagazines/24Rnd_missiles/
Updating base class ->RocketPods, by a3\weapons_f\config.bin/cfgWeapons/missiles_DAR/
Updating base class ->Heli_Light_01_base_F, by a3\air_f\heli_light_01\config.bin/CfgVehicles/B_Heli_Light_01_F/
Updating base class ->Heli_Light_01_armed_base_F, by a3\air_f\heli_light_01\config.bin/CfgVehicles/B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F/
Updating base class ->Heli_Light_02_base_F, by a3\air_f\heli_light_02\config.bin/CfgVehicles/O_Heli_Light_02_F/
Updating base class ->Heli_Light_02_base_F, by a3\air_f\heli_light_02\config.bin/CfgVehicles/O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F/
Updating base class ->Heli_Transport_02_base_F, by a3\air_f_beta\heli_transport_02\config.bin/CfgVehicles/I_Heli_Transport_02_F/

==== Loaded addons ====

dta\bin.pbo - unknown
dta\core.pbo - 0
dta\languagecore_f.pbo - 59459
addons\a3.pbo - unknown
addons\ac_130x_a3.pbo - unknown
addons\air_f.pbo - 58907
addons\air_f_beta.pbo - 58884
addons\air_f_gamma.pbo - 58897
addons\animals_f.pbo - 58745
addons\animals_f_beta.pbo - 56246
addons\anims_f.pbo - 59354
addons\anims_f_data.pbo - 59354
addons\anims_f_epa.pbo - 58168
addons\armor_f.pbo - 56246
addons\armor_f_beta.pbo - 59336
addons\armor_f_gamma.pbo - 59333
addons\baseconfig_f.pbo - 43414
addons\bh_ext.pbo - unknown
addons\boat_f.pbo - 59322
addons\boat_f_beta.pbo - 58745
addons\boat_f_gamma.pbo - 56246
addons\cargoposes_f.pbo - 59026
addons\characters_f.pbo - 59383
addons\characters_f_beta.pbo - 59383
addons\characters_f_epa.pbo - 58804
addons\characters_f_gamma.pbo - 59383
addons\chzadd.pbo - unknown
addons\data_f.pbo - 59324
addons\drones_f.pbo - 58745
addons\drongostoolkit.pbo - unknown
addons\dubbing_f.pbo - 55351
addons\dubbing_f_beta.pbo - 55170
addons\dubbing_f_epa.pbo - 58097
addons\dubbing_f_gamma.pbo - 55217
addons\dubbing_radio_f.pbo - 57787
addons\dubbing_radio_f_data.pbo - 57787
addons\editor_f.pbo - 53723
addons\functions_f.pbo - 59354
addons\functions_f_epa.pbo - 59272
addons\gnt_c185.pbo - unknown
addons\js_jc_fa18.pbo - unknown
addons\languagemissions_f.pbo - 59304
addons\languagemissions_f_beta.pbo - 59304
addons\languagemissions_f_epa.pbo - 59304
addons\languagemissions_f_gamma.pbo - 59304
addons\language_f.pbo - 59304
addons\language_f_beta.pbo - 59304
addons\language_f_epa.pbo - 59304
addons\language_f_gamma.pbo - 59304
addons\lpd29_template.utes.pbo - unknown
addons\map_altis.pbo - 59328
addons\map_altis_data.pbo - 56204
addons\map_altis_data_layers.pbo - 56661
addons\map_altis_data_layers_00_00.pbo - 56661
addons\map_altis_data_layers_00_01.pbo - 56661
addons\map_altis_data_layers_01_00.pbo - 56661
addons\map_altis_data_layers_01_01.pbo - 56661
addons\map_altis_scenes_f.pbo - 56247
addons\map_data.pbo - 58448
addons\map_stratis.pbo - 59328
addons\map_stratis_data.pbo - 52631
addons\map_stratis_data_layers.pbo - 49811
addons\map_stratis_scenes_f.pbo - 56247
addons\misc_f.pbo - 58745
addons\missions_f.pbo - 59321
addons\missions_f_beta.pbo - 57049
addons\missions_f_beta_data.pbo - 55296
addons\missions_f_beta_video.pbo - 49010
addons\missions_f_data.pbo - 57085
addons\missions_f_epa.pbo - 59258
addons\missions_f_epa_data.pbo - 58219
addons\missions_f_epa_video.pbo - 58252
addons\missions_f_gamma.pbo - 59125
addons\missions_f_gamma_data.pbo - 55501
addons\missions_f_gamma_video.pbo - 52884
addons\missions_f_video.pbo - 52434
addons\modules_f.pbo - 59303
addons\modules_f_beta.pbo - 56247
addons\modules_f_beta_data.pbo - 56247
addons\modules_f_data.pbo - 59320
addons\music_f.pbo - 56843
addons\music_f_epa.pbo - 56488
addons\music_f_epa_music.pbo - 56492
addons\music_f_music.pbo - 56442
addons\plants_f.pbo - 56362
addons\roads_f.pbo - 59328
addons\rocks_f.pbo - 58567
addons\signs_f.pbo - 59328
addons\soft_f.pbo - 58839
addons\soft_f_beta.pbo - 58619
addons\soft_f_gamma.pbo - 59332
addons\sounds_f.pbo - 58745
addons\sounds_f_vehicles.pbo - 57955
addons\sounds_f_weapons.pbo - 57955
addons\static_f.pbo - 58910
addons\static_f_beta.pbo - 58745
addons\static_f_gamma.pbo - 58910
addons\structures_f.pbo - 59328
addons\structures_f_data.pbo - 59011
addons\structures_f_epa.pbo - 59319
addons\structures_f_households.pbo - 59118
addons\structures_f_ind.pbo - 59328
addons\structures_f_mil.pbo - 59343
addons\structures_f_wrecks.pbo - 59011
addons\uifonts_f.pbo - 56537
addons\uifonts_f_data.pbo - 56474
addons\ui_f.pbo - 59441
addons\ui_f_data.pbo - 59374
addons\weapons_f.pbo - 59194
addons\weapons_f_beta.pbo - 59253
addons\weapons_f_epa.pbo - 58960
addons\weapons_f_gamma.pbo - 58942

=======================

PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
PhysX3 SDK Init ended.

Connections log shows...

[2013-11-30 12:27:32] Log session started

[2013-11-30 12:27:32] [0,0] SetSteamID( [A:1:0:0] )
[2013-11-30 12:27:32] [1,2] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelLow, 72.165.61.188:27017, UDP)

[2013-11-30 12:27:33] [1,2] ConnectionCompleted() (72.165.61.174:27017, UDP)
[2013-11-30 12:27:33] [1,2] RecvMsgClientLogOnResponse() : [A:1:1618087936:3805] 'OK'

Not sure why it's using these ports for steam as I tole it in the config to use 2300 and 2301?

Content log shows

[2013-11-30 12:27:32] Loaded 0 apps from 1 install folders.

Is there anywhere I can look to see why this is not creating?

Scrap my last post...(which does not appear to have made it up anyway) it was a Windows firewall issue.

All good now. thanks.

Edited by Foxhound
post approved and merged

do i really need to get windows server 2008 to run it or let's say windows7 or xp will be okay?

xp, is a stripped down client version of 2003 so that probably wont run

7 is the client version of 2008, so if you are running the latest service pack for it, you should be okay

been plugging away slowly at learning about arma 3.

as i am learning more about dedicated servers, it strikes me that many are trying to find ways to keep thier server running if it is shutdown. firedaemon and batch scripts. neat stuff, but there is a better solution. i use it for teamspeak servers and i used it for lanbridger for awhile. its a project located here

xynt service

basically i have the executable of this project that i rename, such as "team_speak_server.exe". There is an INI file it uses. You pass a command line argument and a few other settings (like timeouts) and thats pretty much it. You then run the executable with a command line switch to create a service (of your own naming) and thats it.

Copy the executable and INI file, change a few parameters and rename them, and use it for something else. My timeouts state that after 30 seconds to restart teamspeak if it is killed for some reason.

You could easily have a .bat file to start the server and point xynt service to that .bat file. Or even easier, just use your .bat file command line within the xynt service INI file.

anyway I thought I would share this. its worked wonders for me for many years now.

cheers.

EDIT: almost forgot. this creates a service you can enable/disable and start/stop. just killing the process won't mean much as since it is now a service, after your timeout it will restart. what i do is have a couple batch files on the desktop. i named my service "TS3_Service" so my batch files state

sc start ts3_service

to start and

sc stop ts3_service

to stop

you can also use

net start ts3_service

or

net stop ts3_service

but "net" commands are much slower than sc (service control) commands and not only can you do more with sc commands but they show you more verbose info if there is an issue. FYI.

Edited by m0nkey

Heya Everyone! Great tut! I am having an issue where I setup a server following the instructions by the OP and when people try to connect they just sit at the loading the screen and never connect. When I removed the mission section of the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg they can connect, is there something I'm doing wrong here, any guidance would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

Heya Everyone! Great tut! I am having an issue where I setup a server following the instructions by the OP and when people try to connect they just sit at the loading the screen and never connect. When I removed the mission section of the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg they can connect, is there something I'm doing wrong here, any guidance would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

I found in that situation for myself, I had to extract a given coop mission (in this case) and make sure there was no unit set to player (which most have set) but instead make everyone "playable". This fixes I think every mission that I have downloaded that is coop that I have tried.

You can also do a basic test by getting into server "lobby", pressing chat key (/ is default) and then typing

#login <your server admin password>

then

#missions

you should now be able to choose a default MP mission. If the default missions work, you know its a map/mission issue. Thats what I've found anyway.

I have a quick question regarding the bandwidth logic.

If we suppose that, according to the BIS studio basic.cfg info, we were to use these values

Other Tuning Options

Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

Note

The greatest level of optimization can be achieved by setting the MaxMsgSend

and MinBandwidth parameters. For a server with 1024 kbps we recommend the

following values:

MaxMsgSend = 256;

MinBandwidth = 768000;

Could we assume the following to be an accurate assumption?

256 max messages per cycle

Max Size of UDP packets (Nonguaranteed) would be (default) 256 byte * 8 = 2048 bits

Max number of 2048 bit packets per cycle = 256

Thus we have possible up to 524,288 bits per second of UDP broadcast packets, going to ALL clients with information regarding general data like positions etc. Not taking into account any header data.

Max Size of TCP packets (Guaranteed) would be (default) 512 byte * 8 = 4096 bits

Max number of 4096 bit packets per cycle = 256

Thus we have possible up to 1,048,576 bits per second of TCP packets, which are addressed to a specific client and contains more specialized information such as where you bullet hit or if you take damage. Not taking into account header data etc.

So, with up to 256 messages per cycle as a max:

UDP packets to everyone would require a connection of (outbound) 65KBps

TCP packets to one client would require a connection of (outbound) 131KBps

If we would assume then that 50% of the packets on any given cycle were UDP broadcasts, and the other 50% were destined over TCP to a single connected client, could we not assume that:

UDP would require 33KBps

TCP would require 65KBps

Total requirement (for 1 client) could then be 98KBps?

If we were to then add a second client, could we not assume that the estimated 50% of TCP packets the client would need would also be 65KBps, and that the cumulative total bandwidth needed for 2 clients on TCP would be 130KBps.

This would bring the bandwidth needed to meet the maximum messages per cycle (at 50% duty load UDP and 50% duty load TCP) for 2 clients to be:

client 1 - 65KBps TCP

client 2 - 65KBps TCP

all clients - 33KBps UDP

Total 165KBps (approx)

Could it not also be assume then, using these paramater values and this 50% duty cycle idea, that each client connected would require 65KBps upload bandwidth plus the broadcast bandwidth of 33KBps.

Which could make a simple calculation, such as :

10 clients (10 x 65KBps) for TCP + 33KBps for UDP = 680KBps (approx) or a 5.4mbps connection?

Just wondering if my logic is sound regarding both the math, but more importantly if the UDP packets, as broadcasts, need not be factored in but once because as broadcast packets, they are destined everywhere anyway.

I havent checked wireshark logs to verify the following, but based on the required firewall rules, I dont think TCP is used

I believe BIS use some in house system to verify certain packets have arrived such as Publicvariables, especially anything sent via the PV event handler, as this appears to be very robust.

This mathematical approach has been taken many times. If it worked as expected then most servers configured by knowledgeable folks would have similar bandwidth configs that would follow some format of this kind

This is not the case.

The information available to us about this leaves a lot of unanswered questions which try as I may, have never been clearly explained (Over 10 + years of asking)

I havent checked wireshark logs to verify the following, but based on the required firewall rules, I dont think TCP is used

I believe BIS use some in house system to verify certain packets have arrived such as Publicvariables, especially anything sent via the PV event handler, as this appears to be very robust.

This mathematical approach has been taken many times. If it worked as expected then most servers configured by knowledgeable folks would have similar bandwidth configs that would follow some format of this kind

This is not the case.

The information available to us about this leaves a lot of unanswered questions which try as I may, have never been clearly explained (Over 10 + years of asking)

Hmm. I thought I read that the Guaranteed packets were TCP and Nonguaranteed were UDP. That made sense to me that TCP would be used for what I would consider more "critical" data whereas the UDP being broadcast to everyone, would be more generic.

I might get a chance at some point to check and see. I've run many dedicated servers in the past, but none quite like arma. I've read literally hundreds of guides/posts about performance, settings and tweaks for both client and server, and honestly its like a crap shoot as to whether you will get good performance or not. I've got some healthy machines that run it so-so and some not so healthy machines that I am shocked run as well as it does.

Either way, its a lot to absorb for sure. I dabbled in most of the arma titles, but not really been a fan until 3 came out. I am not sure I would have been asking for 10 years myself, especially with no answers. But if you dig the arma versions prior to 3 like I do 3, I can certainly understand why.

Thanks for all the effort you put into this. It makes newcomers like me have an easier time for sure, even if its still somewhat missing legitimate answers from the devs.

I have a question:

If i'm starting dedicated server from game directory and trying to connect to it via LAN, I still need to have an internet connection for my client because steam needs to be in online mode for some reason (check my sig ;) ). I don't need internet for the server in this case, just for the client. But if I'm using standalone dedi server I also need internet for the server. So now as I have two computers connected by LAN one of which runs dedi server I need TWO internet channels. Friggin great. So the question is - is it worth making a ticket on feedback tracker or this is done intentionally and not considered by devs as bug?

Ive done the best i can searching the forums now im blind.

What i actually need a answer on is simple.

I have 1 copy of arma and 2 computers. Steam installed on them both.

Can i download ARMA 3 dedicated server on 1 computer and play with my client on the other.

Alternative use of STEAMCMD.

All my Concerta + thc for adhd is now long gone and im ready to give up.:yay: