terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Yep, I gave up 3 times with tutos. I can script addons, scenarios. I can understand how to script for MP, but the dedicated server interface is just horrible.

You click on arma3serve.exe, you obtain something like:

9:44:20 BattlEye server updated to version: 217

9:44:20 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.217)
 9:44:20 Host identity created.
 9:44:20 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303

And?? .... you dig the tutos. They all speak about Arma installation, you don't need that, then some files to be created with poor explanation and no answer about what things work.

Simple for me: the arma3server.exe initiate something non-existing, useless and disappointing.

I script & play with hosted server. I'm able to understand the principle of scripts for a dedi one,with no chance to see this kind of interface (if any? what is looking like?) on my PC. I understand the principle of headless client, but it's too hard (too long) for me, running a second PC with working HC.

BI, the real progress for that, is to add two options in your launcher, one for dedi, one for HC, allowing to run the interface of the dedi server if chosen. I mean able to choose a mission to be run on this dedicated server.

For HC,truly i don't know. perhaps the possibility to choose a HC slot in lobby?

Like you said pierremgi, there's too many vague and ambiguous explanations. And then you have all these people in a thread asking different questions, and it turns into a situation where no one really gets a  answer they can work with. I don't mind paying for 3rd party server service, but I don't get how to make the game communicate with what ever service I'm  buying, and then things get more complicated when  you have mods like CUP, CBA, Red Hammer.. ect. I can already tell by looking at this tutorial that something is going to go wrong, and it's not worth spinning my wheels. I'm not a programmer, someone such as the BIS team are, and I'm willing to pay them for a server, but it's got to be easy.

When I played Benny's warfare in A2 back in 2012, There was a super easy server platform you downloaded, I installed it on Linux, and I wasn't even that experienced with Linux at the time. You copied your mission file to the specified folder, started the server and that was it. You could even save your progress with this server. Now I don't know where any of that stuff is for A3. Today we have all these complicated tutorials. I thought things were suppose to get easier with Steam

The problem with this, and even Tophe's Arma Dedicated Server Tool is that if you want to run the server on a dedicated independent machine at the house, you really need ArmA running on another machine so it has all the mod's in the workshop being updated for the server platform, which is difficult because you can only run the game on one computer unless purchase another license. This tutorial might cover all this, but good luck getting the common player to understand how to get this to work.

@Boss and Pierremgi,

If your approach was to methodically work through the tutorial on the initial post in this thread (Which I can assure you took many hours to write/rewrite, tweak and update) until you get to a point that you do not understand and THEN ask a SPECIFIC question about that instead or a general rant about how B.I do things you might actually get a decent answer and achieve something.

and by the way I am a gas fitter that works full time with a family, I am not an IT techie,  I dont even work in the IT industry, nor Do I work for BIS yet somehow with the help of others I have managed to keep an arma community going since before 2003 (15 years now).  If I can do it the only thing stopping you doing it is your attitude and lack of patience. I even recently learnt how to code in C# by putting the effort in knuckled down to it and tried until I got it right.

Spending time learning instead of whining is far more productive than the appalling attitude you are displaying right now.

Imagine if a would be employer saw the post you created, Would he give you a job based on such unconstructive ranting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm by no mean's an IT or "computer" guy, but after reading Terox's tutorial and watching a few YouTube videos, I was able to get my own dedicated server going after a few hours of research.  Thanks Terox for writing and updating your guide.  @Boss and Pierremgi, here is a YouTube video that I used as a guide as well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcES84Q7FE 

On 13/01/2018 at 4:30 PM, Boss-Starstreams said:

Like you said pierremgi, there's too many vague and ambiguous explanations. And then you have all these people in a thread asking different questions, and it turns into a situation where no one really gets a  answer they can work with. I don't mind paying for 3rd party server service, but I don't get how to make the game communicate with what ever service I'm  buying, and then things get more complicated when  you have mods like CUP, CBA, Red Hammer.. ect. I can already tell by looking at this tutorial that something is going to go wrong, and it's not worth spinning my wheels. I'm not a programmer, someone such as the BIS team are, and I'm willing to pay them for a server, but it's got to be easy.

When I played Benny's warfare in A2 back in 2012, There was a super easy server platform you downloaded, I installed it on Linux, and I wasn't even that experienced with Linux at the time. You copied your mission file to the specified folder, started the server and that was it. You could even save your progress with this server. Now I don't know where any of that stuff is for A3. Today we have all these complicated tutorials. I thought things were suppose to get easier with Steam

The problem with this, and even Tophe's Arma Dedicated Server Tool is that if you want to run the server on a dedicated independent machine at the house, you really need ArmA running on another machine so it has all the mod's in the workshop being updated for the server platform, which is difficult because you can only run the game on one computer unless purchase another license. This tutorial might cover all this, but good luck getting the common player to understand how to get this to work.

Takes me about 5 mins to setup a dedicated server on Windows Server 2016. Probably one of the easiest game servers to setup. 

I have my server files and brief explanation here -> https://github.com/rcantec/Serverfiles

I have a more in depth explanation here -> https://github.com/rcantec/Dedicated-Exile-Server-Setup-Simplified

You could ignore the Exile part, and just focus on the dedicated server part, so skipping the Exile mod and mysql setup

I have a video here -> 

I plan to make an updated video soon, with just the Arma dedicated server part. 

• Like 1

I did not used Windows Server, so not sure if its enough relevant to include in the tutorial, but on desktop Windows builds following requirements are also applied:

• Setup the [[#Port Forwarding]] in your firewall or\and router accordingly, also doesn't seems like implemented in some routers Port Trigger feature works with Arma 3 Server (tested with ASUS RT-N66U)
  • Make sure you have Network Discovery enabled for your network type (the setting can be found in [Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings]. If you have problem with it's state reset on the interface reopen, check if all of the required for this feature services are running: DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host;

(Note: Changes to the above 2 settings to be applied require Arma relaunch, as for server same for client machines);

I can't get my server to show on the server list. help plz

The last sentence I get when launching the server is game port 2302, steam port:2303

Okay I just check a rpt file and it saids SteamAPI initialization failed.

=====================================================================
== C:\Games\arma3\a3master\arma3server_x64.exe
== "C:\Games\arma3\a3master\arma3server_x64.exe" "-profiles=C:\Games\arma3\a3master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty -mod=

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_Server_x64
Exe timestamp: 2018/07/24 22:21:25
Current time:  2018/10/26 08:33:56

Type: Public
Build: Stable
Version: 1.84.144923

Allocator: C:\Games\arma3\a3master\Dll\tbb4malloc_bi_x64.dll [2017.0.0.0] [2017.0.0.0]
PhysMem: 7.9 GiB, VirtMem : 131072 GiB, AvailPhys : 5.2 GiB, AvailVirt : 131068 GiB, AvailPage : 6.9 GiB

8:33:56 SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features won't be accessible!
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_3DEN_CAMERA_NAME
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_DIFF_SCENE_ONLY
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_DIFF_SCENE_AND_MAP
 8:33:56 Initializing stats manager.
 8:33:56 Stats config disabled.
 8:33:56 sessionID: d592856e9119727367805b4b5b66cc02dc490411
 8:34:08 Item str_a3_to_c01_m02_036_ta_mechanized_briefing_SOLDIERC_0 listed twice

On 26/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, OTKZuki said:

I can't get my server to show on the server list. help plz

The last sentence I get when launching the server is game port 2302, steam port:2303

Okay I just check a rpt file and it saids SteamAPI initialization failed.

== C:\Games\arma3\a3master\arma3server_x64.exe
== "C:\Games\arma3\a3master\arma3server_x64.exe" "-profiles=C:\Games\arma3\a3master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty -mod=

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_Server_x64
Exe timestamp: 2018/07/24 22:21:25
Current time:  2018/10/26 08:33:56

Type: Public
Build: Stable
Version: 1.84.144923

Allocator: C:\Games\arma3\a3master\Dll\tbb4malloc_bi_x64.dll [2017.0.0.0] [2017.0.0.0]
PhysMem: 7.9 GiB, VirtMem : 131072 GiB, AvailPhys : 5.2 GiB, AvailVirt : 131068 GiB, AvailPage : 6.9 GiB

8:33:56 SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features won't be accessible!
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_3DEN_CAMERA_NAME
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_DIFF_SCENE_ONLY
 8:33:56 Cannot register unknown string STR_DIFF_SCENE_AND_MAP
 8:33:56 Initializing stats manager.
 8:33:56 Stats config disabled.
 8:33:56 sessionID: d592856e9119727367805b4b5b66cc02dc490411
 8:34:08 Item str_a3_to_c01_m02_036_ta_mechanized_briefing_SOLDIERC_0 listed twice

Need all the rpt file not just the bit you think is important.

Forget the steam hasnt initialised bit, thats normal

So can do nothing but guess....

If you can find a similar line in your rpt file..

2018/10/28, 18:11:05 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303

2018/10/28, 18:11:05 Steam AppId from steam_appid.txt: 107410
2018/10/28, 18:11:13 Connected to Steam servers

Then your server has fully loaded it is just not been seen by the outside world, most likely 

1) Firewall/port issue

2) It isnt reading the .cfg you think it is and is showing to the outside world but not with the server name from the cfg that didnt load

Please follow this guide and if you still cannot get your server to show up then add the requested information at the end of that thread

Don't know if you're still working on this but I tried this today and got to the part where you start the server for the first time. Says it was supposed to create the Administrator.Arma3Profile and the Arma3.cfg files. Instead of doing that it created a whole new folder in Games\ArmA3\ folder called A2Master with AnimDataCache, BattleEye, and Users folders and arma3server_x64 RPT file and A3Master_4492 Text Document.

Have no idea what to do from this point. I did not edit the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg file other than to change the name of the server and the adminpassword.

"Can't find a mission collection / mission with template name"

We are unable to get our server to display any custom missions. We are able to see default Arma 3 missions for Altis, Stratis, Tanoa, Malden, and VR. However, the custom missions we have uploaded (through out File Manager and FTP) do not display, at all. FYI we do not have any mods loaded on the server yet, we are simply trying to get custom missions going at this point. We are using the Default Command Line with no mods.

Here is the RPT error message:

18:44:48 Arma 3 | A3 | true | true | NOT FOUND | | |

18:44:48 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================

18:44:48 InitSound ...

18:44:48 InitSound - complete

18:44:48 PhysX3 SDK Init started ...

18:44:48 PhysX3 SDK Init ended.

18:44:51 core\skyobject\skyobject.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape

18:44:51 a3\data_f\krater.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape

18:44:51 a3\data_f\koule.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape

18:44:51 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.

a3_characters_f

18:44:51 Loading movesType CfgGesturesMale

18:44:51 Creating action map cache

18:44:51 Animation a3\anims_f\data\anim\sdr\gst\gestureempty.rtm not found or empty

18:44:51 MovesType CfgGesturesMale load time 161 ms

18:44:51 Loading movesType CfgMovesMaleSdr

18:44:51 Reading cached action map data

18:44:54 MovesType CfgMovesMaleSdr load time 2998 ms

18:44:54 a3\characters_f\proxies\flag.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape

18:44:55 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2317, Steam Query Port: 2318

18:44:55 Steam AppId from steam_appid.txt: 107410

18:44:56 Connected to Steam servers

18:47:27 Can't find a mission collection / mission with template name: 'Dynamic_Bulwarks_Altis.Altis', skipping to next mission.

18:47:29 BEServer: cannot find channel #1262878489, users.card=0

18:47:31 BEServer: registering a new player #1262878489

18:48:20 Admin logged in, player: Chop111, playerUID: 76561198160093290, IP: __.__._.___:2319.

18:48:29 Unknown entity: ' lt'

18:48:29 Unknown entity: ' gt'

18:48:29 Unknown entity: ' Lt'

18:48:29 Unsupported language English in stringtable

18:48:30 mpmissions\Altis_Life.Altis: string @STR_MISC_overviewText cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

18:48:52 Admin logged out, player: Chop111, playerUID: 76561198160093290, IP: __.__._.___:2319.

-----

And here is the Config file where we refer to the mission Dynamic Bulwarks Altis

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname            = "ISG";    // The name of the server that will be displayed in the public server list
password          = "XXXXX";                        // Password to join the server
passwordAdmin       = "XXXXXXX";                         // Password to become server admin. When you're connected to the server, open the chat and type '#login password'
//reportingIP       = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";            // not used anymore in Arma 3
logFile             = "server.log";
verifySignatures    = 0;    // Prevent players with unknown mods from joining the server (best kept at 2 if you want to reduce the number of hackers)
equalModRequired    = 0;    // Prevent players who don't have the exact same mods as the server from joining (best kept at 0)
requiredSecureId    = 2;    // was used to define type of secureID

motdInterval        = 3;        // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
maxPlayers          = 20;        // Maximum amount of players. Anybody who joins the server is considered a player, regardless of their role or team.
kickDuplicate       = 1;         // Each player normally has its own unique ID. If set to 1, players with an ID that is identical to another player will be kicked
//requiredBuild     = 12345;     // Require clients joining to have at least this build version of game, preventing obsolete clients to connect

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers  = 1;         // Tells the server how many people must connect before displaying the mission selection screen, if you have not already selected a mission in this config
voteThreshold       = 0.33;      // Percentage (0.00 to 1.00) of players needed to vote for something, for example an admin or a new mission, to become effective. Set to 9999 to prevent people from voting random players as admins.

// MISSIONS CYCLE
class Missions
{
    class Mission1
    {
        template="Dynamic_Bulwarks_Altis.Altis";
        difficulty="Regular";
    };

};

As an aside, we are unable to load the custom mission whether we use:

Dynamic_Bulwarks_Altis.Altis

DynamicReconOps.Altis

DynamicReconOps.Malden

Or any other custom mission where the server has to find it. Thank you for any help you can give.

Hello all,

I've been searching everywhere and anywhere but I cannot find the information.

I have working dedicated server set up on Linux but I am not able to set it up the way that it won't display those on-screen notification "Player connected"/ "Player disconnected"....

I know that it is possible but I cannot find the way how. 

I've disabled all channels via server.cfg but it's still showing and breaking immersion in particular missions.

Thanks in advance for your answers.