terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Hi,

I was trying to run stock arma missions on my dedicated. But so far I only got it to work by having a blank MPmissions folder and logging into the server as admin, calling #missions then selecting it. How to get the server to loop a set of built in missions?

// Config file generated 27.01.2016 20:03 with TADST.

steamPort = 8766;
hostName = "server name";
password = "";
passwordAdmin = "";
logFile = "";

motd[] = {
	""
};
motdInterval = 300;

maxPlayers = 36;
kickduplicate = 0;
verifySignatures = 2;
requiredSecureId = 0;

voteMissionPlayers = 3;
voteThreshold = 1.5;

disableVoN = 0;
vonCodecQuality = 15;
persistent = 0;
timeStampFormat = "short";
BattlEye = 1;

doubleIdDetected = "";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
onHackedData = "";
onDifferentData = "";
onUnsignedData = "";
regularCheck = "";

class Missions
{

};

Tried the white list with specific stock mission names and same for class Missions.

Its not something most server admins would do, run stock B.I missions

Looping missions is done via the mission cycle class, mission name in there has to be exactly the filename of the mission, so unpbo which ever file the B.I missions are placed in and try that.

You could also try throwing one non B.I mission in your Mpmissions folder but not listing it in the cycles class and see where that gets you.

Failing that make a copy of the B.I pbo, rename it to say version2 and place that pbo in your mpmissions folder and add that to the cycle class

So basically 3 things you can attempt

I've never come across anyone that is trying to do what you are attempting

Thanks this post

ЕÑли в Ðrma2 был один файл .rpt , то в Ðrma3 Ñделали разделение и теперь .rpt пишутÑÑ Ð² отдельные файлы по ÑеÑÑиÑм формата (arma3_2015-05-14_21-07-00.rpt) и теперь приходитÑÑ Ð¸Ñкать нужный файл (удалÑÑ‚ÑŒ Ñтарые файлы) и открывать заново каждый раз поÑле перезапуÑка, что очень и очень очень не удобно и Ñильно муÑорит в папке Ñервера. ЕÑÑ‚ÑŒ ли ÑпоÑоб указать Ðrma3 пиÑать .rpt нормально в один файл, как было на Ðrma2 ?
ЕÑли кратко, то:
Ð’ Ðrma2 было arma2oaserver.rpt
Ð’ Ðrma3 теперь так arma3server_2015-05-14_21-07-00.rpt
Ðужно в Ðrma3 Ñделать так: arma3server.rpt

If Arma 2 was a .rpt file, the Arma 3 will put a division and now .rpt written in separate files by session format (arma3_2015-05-14_21-07-00.rpt) and now have to look for the desired file (delete old files ) and re-open after every restart, which is very, very, very comfortable and not much litter in the server folder. Is there a way to specify Arma3 write .rpt normal in one file, as in the Arma2?
In summary, then:
In Arma2 was arma2oaserver.rpt
In Arma3 now so arma3server_2015-05-14_21-07-00.rpt
It is necessary to do so Arma3: arma3server.rpt

strikearena-sania

I'm not aware of being able to define a filename for the rpt, best thing you could do if you want to clean your folder up automatically , is run batch code to delete older folders or merge all your rpt files into 1 large log.

terox, It's too complicated for such a simple thing as the union of a log file. There must it be adjusted once on the server side. It is not always convenient to split the log by date and time for different files.

Unfortunately that is out of server admins control, it was a decision made by B.I for ArmA3

Prior to that (ArmA2) RPT files didnt have the date in their filename

I have my server on linux, but I cant find rpt files. Server_xxx.log are created on my profile directory, but not rpt files.

How can I get those files?

hello,

my dedicated server is a "local" pc in my room, so i took the mod-data from my client/gaming-pc and copied it to the server.

i createdt a folder "@modfolder" inside my servers arma3files-folder and put every addon- key- and optionals- folder inside it.

so the directory looks soemthing like:

[server-pc]d:\arma3-server\arma3files\@modfolder\addons

[server-pc]d:\arma3-server\arma3files\@modfolder\keys

[server-pc]d:\arma3-server\arma3files\@modfolder\optionals

now, i got some weird iussues with missions depending on the mods. (ace, cup, cup-terrains, cba...) nothing gamebreaking, just some weird behaviour on mission start (server loading mission, then doing nothing, when restarting mission works fine etc.)

could it be a problem, that i just copied the missions from my client-pc without downloading special server-files (if that is even a thing)? also might it be problemativ, that i only copied the addon-, keys- and optionals- folder? most mods have some files in the mod-root-dorectory, like meta.cpp, mod.cpp and other stuff. i did not copy these, because i suspected these to have soemthing to do with the arma-client-launcher and not being relevant for the server.

so, if i update the mods the next time, would it be advised to organize the mods like

[server-pc]d:\arma3-server\arma3files\@modfolder\@a-certain-mod\addons

[server-pc]d:\arma3-server\arma3files\@modfolder\@another-mod\addons

(if this is even possible)

i'm still investigating the weird mission-start behaviour. could very well be something with description.ext and respawn. but i still was unsure about the best way to organize multiple mods in one main mod folder.

*edit*: i just noticed, that there are *.dll-files in the ace-mod-root-folder. do i need them on the server?

Yes you need the dll's

This is how your directory should look for the server, for the ace install

• A3Server\@ace\addons\
    • *******.pbo
    • *******.bisign
  • A3Server\@ace\
    • ace_advanced_ballistics.dll
    • ace_break_line.dll
    • ace_clipboard.dll
    • ace_fcs.dll
    • ace_medical.dll
    • ace_parse_imagepath.dll
  • A3Server\Keys\ace_3.5.0.0.bikey
  • A3Server\userconfig\ace\serverconfig.hpp

The optionals folder  contain optional addons that if you want or need should be placed in A3Server\@ace\addons\

Notably the ace_server.pbo

The following files are not used to run the mod, but they are used to display info to the clients about your server, in their server browser

• logo_ace3_ca.paa
  • meta.cpp
  • mod.cpp

Major rewrite of tutorial to reflect multiple changes that have occurred up to and including ArmA3 version 1.58

Hopefully the tutorial will be a lot more user friendly now and easier to read

Version 1.19

Date 30th April 2016

• Edited the entire tutorial, decluttering it and creating expanding spoiler tags for each section to make it less of a "wall of text"
  • Edited the config_vanilla.cfg to reflect changes up to and including patch 1.58
  • Edited the *****.ArmA3Profile (Difficulty settings) to reflect changes in patch 1.58
  • Added a Battleye configuration section
  • Like 2

Hey terox,

I was wondering since the new mod´s in the workshop don´t come in @folders anymore, is there any way for dedicated servers to use that for our advantage? I would like to use @Cup, but don´t want to manually download the @folders while they are now under D:\\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\583496184 etc. Can we get the server load files from that folder? I am confused right now :(

If your asking "Can I run the @Mod folder" directly from my steam workshop mod folder"?

Then this may be possible by creating a simlink in your Arma installation folder pointing to the addon collection in your steam workshops folder

e.g

In your Root install for your arma create your own @MyModname folder and then simlink that to  D:\\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\583496184

providing that the 

D:\\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\583496184

Has the same structure as a mod folder

eg

D:\\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\583496184\addons\****.pbo

Most likely you will have to hard link this.

Read this article for more information on simlinks

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I've never downloaded anything from steam workshops, we use an A3Sync configuration and manually edit the sync repository

This is a great tutorial. Could someone help me troubleshoot some things? I made a post in teroxs troubleshooting topic. Any help is appreciated.

How can I install the 1.62 RC on a linux DS. Current version is running fine, but I don't find the correct "app_update 233780" steam command to install the RC branch.

Thanks.

How can I install the 1.62 RC on a linux DS. Current version is running fine, but I don't find the correct "app_update 233780" steam command to install the RC branch.

Thanks.

This link may help

Hello guys,

First of all, i'm not english. So, my english is bad :p

I cant install any helicopters in my dedicated server. Someone know why?

Ok, problem solved partially. I found that i need to add the units directly in the mission trough the editor.

But...

Example: I have added a AH64 Appache. Exported the mission to MP, the server runs fine, i can join and see the unit but my friends cant join. They need to download all addons of my server separately? Or the server have the option to allow the content download?

Ok, problem solved partially. I found that i need to add the units directly in the mission trough the editor.

But...

Example: I have added a AH64 Appache. Exported the mission to MP, the server runs fine, i can join and see the unit but my friends cant join. They need to download all addons of my server separately? Or the server have the option to allow the content download?

There is no functionality on the ArmA server for players to download the required addons, They need to aquire them from somewhere else

• Like 1

There is no functionality on the ArmA server for players to download the required addons, They need to aquire them from somewhere else

Ok, i think this solves my problem! Thanks!

I did everything up to the step where I finally run the shortcut and start the server when it gives me this error dialog:

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVideoOptions/Benchmark.defaultResult'.

Then my server is not visible anywhere. Pls halp

@Chris, looks like your running a client install, the server doesn't run graphics

Were is your rpt file ?

Check make sure you have Dx installed

@terox thanks for your quick response. I feel I should start by sharing my objective-- I'm just trying to play with one friend in a private coop game. We had been trying direct IP connections to no avail. After that I've been trying both your method and TADST and troubleshooting both. Ports 2302-2305 are forwarded, and I have directX 12.0. Just a few minutes ago my friend and I were actually able to finally see my server in our browsers, but could not join; I was stuck in a loading screen.

I would post an rpt, but there's just so many of them from so many different scattershot attempts.

nvm I got it. It was on the 'loading screen' because there were no missions in the TADST folder. So I just logged in as admin and the typed #missions.