terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

EDIT: SO apparently I just needed to restart my PC, it somehow works now but I still don't know what the problem was... but nvm

Hey, I followed the instructions correctly (I think so) but i can't join my server, I see the server and can "join" but if I type "#login (mypass)" nothing happens, neither in the console.

Here is a screenshot of my console: http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24026566/2435.png.html

It's German somehow so "verbindet = connected" and "getrennt = disconnected" and "Spieler = Player"

After some time I get kicked from the server :/

Thank you :)

Sry for my bad english, its only school based...

Edited by Nickldio

if you are entering your admin login and you aren't logging in as admin, then this could point to the server not running the config you think it is

To identify this we would need you to copy your rpt file to pastebin so we can see it

To reduce the size of the rpt file, delete all existent rpt files and restart the server then copy the one that is created.

Also copy in you config (hide the login password)

Before you do this make sure you follow the troubleshooting guidelines, eg

Vanilla install, running from a desktop shortcut with all missions removed from the mpmissions folder and any subfolders of it. No 3rd party addons etc

Im trying to run a Windows Dedicated Server (arma3server.exe) in the same machine of arma3 client. I tried with manual settings and with TADST. All work when i launch server, but this not appear in the server list, neither with direct IP. I tried launching server before start Steam, and i tried after start Steam. I have all port correctly open.

I need say im using the arma3server.exe of my client simulator. I do not "D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\" because if i have my own Arma3 in the normal Steam client, i not need do this part. In manual i start with STEP 11.

This is log when i launch created server (with all params configurated, server name, pass, etc...)

16:54:36 Dedicated host created.

16:54:42 BattlEye server updated to version: 190

16:54:42 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.190)

16:54:42 Host identity created.

16:54:42 Game Port: 2303, Steam Query Port: 2304

What i do wrong? thanks

I would define the dedicated server on different ports than the default port because the client will be using the default ports and this may conflict.

Based on the information you have given, the server seems to be running.

1. Temporarily disable both the windows firewall and your router firewall for testing purposes
  2. Remove all missions from your MpMissions folder
  3. Comment out the mission cycle class in your server.cfg
    then
  4. Run your server without running the client (You don't need to run your client steam app for this)

If this is then successful and you see the server reporting to the steam browser (Be patient it may take a while for this to display and may take quite a while if no players are connected to the server), then

1) add your missions back and re-test

2) turn your firewalls back on and test

or try this link to prove if it is reporting

api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=INSERT_YOUR_IP_HERE

I would define the dedicated server on different ports than the default port because the client will be using the default ports and this may conflict.

Based on the information you have given, the server seems to be running.

1. Temporarily disable both the windows firewall and your router firewall for testing purposes
  2. Remove all missions from your MpMissions folder
  3. Comment out the mission cycle class in your server.cfg
    then
  4. Run your server without running the client (You don't need to run your client steam app for this)

If this is then successful and you see the server reporting to the steam browser (Be patient it may take a while for this to display and may take quite a while if no players are connected to the server), then

1) add your missions back and re-test

2) turn your firewalls back on and test

or try this link to prove if it is reporting

api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=INSERT_YOUR_IP_HERE

Not work, i do steps 1, 2, 3 and 4.

With steps 1, 3 and 4 your addres return:

{
"response": {
	"success": true,
	"servers": [

]

}
}

With step 2 the addres return:

{
		{
			"addr": "95.23.244.254:2304",
			"gmsindex": 65534,
			"appid": 107410,
			"gamedir": "Arma3",
			"region": -1,
			"secure": false,
			"lan": false,
			"gameport": 2303,
			"specport": 0
		}
	]

}
}

But in both cases the server not appear in the list, i wait long time, i search in-game with name filters, i search outside the game in the Server list of Steam, and not appear.

With step 2 the addres return:

{
		{
			"addr": "95.23.244.254:2304",
			"gmsindex": 65534,
			"appid": 107410,
			"gamedir": "Arma3",
			"region": -1,
			"secure": false,
			"lan": false,
			"gameport": 2303,
			"specport": 0
		}
	]

}
}

this states that your server is reporting to steam correctly

You are possibly assuming it isnt reporting because you cannot see it.

Ask your friends if they can see it when you launch the server with an empty MpMissions folder or check the steam client server browser or use this

http://master.bistudio.com/?page=1&count=50&filter%5Bstatus%5D=1&sorting%5Bplayers%5D=desc&game_id=6

You will need to put the missions back into the mpmissions folder in small batches then restart the server and run the api.steampowered link until you find which batch of files is causing the issue

I put all missions in the MPMissions and now the address work well, but i not see the server in the list inside the game. Neither can see the server with Steam server browser, but i can see the server with the web you give me.

My friend cant see the server inside the game.

I need help configuring 2 separate servers, each running game server instances. Summarized here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181370-2-servers-each-running-dedicated-Arma-3-amp-Arma-2-servers-1-does-not-work-with-Steam&p=2743975#post2743975

Thank you,

Aaron

Edited by MadDogX
please stick to the standard font size

Hi Terox,

Thanks so much for your tutorial, it really helped a great deal!

One thing you could add for the steam updater cmd file:

When using the dedicated server branch, one can use "anonymous" for the STEAMLOGIN as the server does not require a steam account for download. The benefits are that you don't end up saving a password to a plain-text file as well as that you don't get booted off steam on your own client machine (since only one login per steam account is allowed).

Hi Terox,

Thanks so much for your tutorial, it really helped a great deal!

One thing you could add for the steam updater cmd file:

When using the dedicated server branch, one can use "anonymous" for the STEAMLOGIN as the server does not require a steam account for download. The benefits are that you don't end up saving a password to a plain-text file as well as that you don't get booted off steam on your own client machine (since only one login per steam account is allowed).

so is there a global password for an "anonymous" user or is that left blank ?

For the past couple of days, when i try to connect to my server, i get "bad version, server rejected connection". The server is running version 233780 -beta and my client is running the stable branch. Server is running vanilla arma 3 with wasteland mission too.

I've tried multiple times to update the server and multiple times to verify my client files. Neither fix the issue.

Any idea what's causing this?

For the past couple of days, when i try to connect to my server, i get "bad version, server rejected connection". The server is running version 233780 -beta and my client is running the stable branch. Server is running vanilla arma 3 with wasteland mission too.

I've tried multiple times to update the server and multiple times to verify my client files. Neither fix the issue.

Any idea what's causing this?

check what version you are actually running by checking your clients rpt file and the server rpt file.

At the top of a freshly created rpt file it will state the version you are running.

The client and server are running different versions

so is there a global password for an "anonymous" user or is that left blank ?

Just blank. This is an excerpt from my ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd:

SET STEAMLOGIN=anonymous
SET A3BRANCH=233780 -beta

Works beautifully.

Edited by Gundy

My client is running 1.28 while my server is running 1.24

Server wont update anymore. What do i do?

My client is running 1.28 while my server is running 1.24

Server wont update anymore. What do i do?

verify game cache integrity or reinstall

if you have a good connection, i'd just delete all the basic arma files, addons, dta, exe's etc and reinstall, leaving your user folder, keys folder, mpmissions, config files alone

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Just blank. This is an excerpt from my ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd:

SET STEAMLOGIN=anonymous
SET A3BRANCH=233780 -beta

Works beautifully.

Thanks m8, wasnt aware of this

I'll update the 1st post, this is only relevant to the dedi server package install, some communities install the full package which requires a full account

Unable to connect to my own server. Others can join. Steam friends can join. I connect and the chat says "Steam Ticket Check Failed" or some jargon is what I'm told and then I'm disconnected. Ports are quite forwarded since others can join.

I'm hoping you can point me in the direction of scripting information on how to change the time of day on a dynamic map running on a dedicated (public/paid) server. We have a tool in game that allows us to choose the time, but nothing is happening. Our creator and scripter recently died so we are struggling to keep a server running when we hit this simple problems.

I did notice that when we run the ingame script for changing the time of day, it changes for about 1 second, until the server responds, then it reverts back to the default time of 10:30am

Thank you

Edited by Reddog
additional information

verify game cache integrity or reinstall

if you have a good connection, i'd just delete all the basic arma files, addons, dta, exe's etc and reinstall, leaving your user folder, keys folder, mpmissions, config files alone

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Thanks m8, wasnt aware of this

I'll update the 1st post, this is only relevant to the dedi server package install, some communities install the full package which requires a full account

Is it true that if you don't use the full package that your server will always show as yellow in the server browser? I don't think this was true several months ago when I had a server running before. I recently returned to Arma and it looks like the "free" dedi server download from Steam does not show up as green in the browser any more. I tried wiping completely and reinstalling with the vanilla server config and it doesnty show up as green. One thing I noticed is that the Arma client files have capital letters in the filenames but the dedi server files do not (I guess to avoid problems with Linux), also the list of expansions in the browser always starts with "Arma 3;" for green servers.

Its fine really but a certain OCD part of me doesnt like this :)

Hello,

I just got a server up and running, but I have one problem. The server will not become password protected like I want it to. I have the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg set up in the right spot and copy and pasted correctly. I can change the server name, the administrator password, but the password I put in for people to use to connect to the server does not show up on the server list and people can connect without a password. Do I have do something more than put a password between the quotes?

Thanks

Hello,

I just got a server up and running, but I have one problem. The server will not become password protected like I want it to. I have the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg set up in the right spot and copy and pasted correctly. I can change the server name, the administrator password, but the password I put in for people to use to connect to the server does not show up on the server list and people can connect without a password. Do I have do something more than put a password between the quotes?

Thanks

There has never been any reported incidents afaik of a password not working so I suspect you have made an error somewhere in the .cfg.

Check your config_vanilla.cfg

Make sure the password isn't commented out, eg preceded by a "//" or encapsulated by " /* */"

I'm hoping you can point me in the direction of scripting information on how to change the time of day on a dynamic map running on a dedicated (public/paid) server. We have a tool in game that allows us to choose the time, but nothing is happening. Our creator and scripter recently died so we are struggling to keep a server running when we hit this simple problems.

I did notice that when we run the ingame script for changing the time of day, it changes for about 1 second, until the server responds, then it reverts back to the default time of 10:30am

Thank you

You need to take this to the

"ARMA 3 MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING Forums"

Hello,

Thanks

You can post your config file here. I can check it for you. Are you running it on Linux or Windows ?

Maybe this will help you, this should be the first thing in your server.cfg

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "name of server";

password = "password for ppl to contect to the server";

passwordAdmin = "password to admin the server";

reportingIP = "";

logFile = "server_console.log";

verifySignatures = if you want to check mod signatures;

There will be more to your server.cfg, this is just the beginning and having to do with the server password question

Twiztid

Hi, is there any way to disable users voting for admin rights on server?

thanks in advance for help.

I do not think there is a way to disable it, but you can set it for a higher percentage then you can get (over 1.00)

Twiztid

Yea I see, never thinked about it like that, thanks. Will try. :)