terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

@Mike, the initial post explains how to set the updater from Dev to stable or vice versa

Please help me to configure the server.

Server configuration:

i7 3770k / 16GB RAM / 200 mbit/s

The current configuration file:

steamLanguage = "";
language = "English";
MinBandwidth = 2097152;
MaxBandwidth = 2097152000;
MaxMsgSend = 1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;
MinErrorToSend = 0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.0099999998;
MaxCustomFileSize = 0;

With 30 players on the server we have dyssynchrony and lags.

Log file

-cpuCount=8

server .exe will never use more than 2 cores so change this to -cpuCount=2 (not that this is the cause of your lags)

That RPT file is a mess of errors I would try running the server with the -nologs param it should speed things up a bit

It's possible that your desync is caused by ACRE problems as well you should test the mission without using ACRE

Please help me to configure the server.

Server configuration:

i7 3770k / 16GB RAM / 200 mbit/s

The current configuration file:

steamLanguage = "";
language = "English";
MinBandwidth = 2097152;
MaxBandwidth = 2097152000;
MaxMsgSend = 1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;
MinErrorToSend = 0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.0099999998;
MaxCustomFileSize = 0;

With 30 players on the server we have dyssynchrony and lags.

Log file

Reduce your max message by half

Test

Reduce by half again

You need to be aiming for a value somewhere between 128 and 512

128 being weighted towards pvp 512 towards coop

Hi all,

i have massive issues with my new server.

if i try to start a selfmade mission i can choose my class but then it kicks me back to the lobby where i have choosen the mission.

these are the 30 last lines of the logfile:

0:07:44 Creation of object O Delta 1-3:1 (BIS_SUPP_HQ_EAST) failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Client: Nonnetwork object 1f9b0400.

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1 failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1:<Empty main subgroup> failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Client: Nonnetwork object 2104a340.

0:07:44 Client: Nonnetwork object 1fd1d000.

0:07:44 Ref to nonnetwork object 22045600# 164388: dummyweapon.p3d

0:07:44 Ref to nonnetwork object 21fc1d00# 164389: dummyweapon.p3d

0:07:44 Ref to nonnetwork object R Alpha 1-1:1

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1:1 (BIS_SUPP_HQ_GUER) failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Client: Nonnetwork object 1fd1d000.

0:07:44 [14754,388.348,0,"x\cba\addons\network\XEH_postServerInit.sqf:3","Initializing: cba_network version: 1.0.5.208"]

can someone help me pls?

i have spend hours to find a solutions already but unfortuantely i found nothing.

all addons and mods are already on the server.

FYI: all others, like patrol ops or arma3 standard missions work.

KR

8thball

Edited by 8thball

this is down to mission editing. Quite simply your mission is bugged, best place to ask is on the user mission forums or the scripting forums.

Showing only a partial excerpt from the rpt isnt always a good way to debug, i's pastebin the lot and then link to it

0:07:44 Creation of object O Delta 1-3:1 (BIS_SUPP_HQ_EAST) failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1 failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1:<Empty main subgroup> failed, state LOGGED IN

0:07:44 Creation of object R Alpha 1-1:1 (BIS_SUPP_HQ_GUER) failed, state LOGGED IN

these are all odd

I have a server I put up on a Windows server 2012 r2 box I have. There seems to be some hidden firewall setting that will not allow me connect on the LAN. If I turn the firewall off I can connect no problem, however when I turn it back on I can no longer connect. I have 2300-2305, ICMPv4, and the steam ports all whitelisted. I am getting the 2500 ping issue and it says connection failed.

Alright, so I'm at the point where I used this tutorial and when I launch the game on my pc and then connect to the server, stratis load screen just keeps going and going until I quit the game, I need help from here on to get Atlis life to work, any help guys, I can tell you the ip etc to try yourself?

Please reply in depth if you can so I can get this working ASAP, or pm me for skype which would be excellent!

Anyone willing to help can also be an admin too

Please check the troubleshooting section in the first post, it does ask for certain information before we can help you. These being

rpt files, command lines and configs on pastebin.

and an overview of your set up

and just to verify you are unable to run/host a server in a scenario with no mods and attempting to load a BIS mission, eg default mission.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Update to tutorial instructions

A problem can occur if you install both the client package and the dedicated server package on the same machine.

It is possible for the ArmA3server.exe to load the data from the folder where the Arma3.exe is installed.

This is caused by a precedence check in the registry, the solution/workaroud to this issue is to use a -mod= parameter in the command line even if you aren't using any mods (The -mod= ensures the server loads the game data from the server.exe root folder)

Examples of allowed useage

• -mod=
    -mod=@myMod1
    -mod=@myMod1;@MyMod2

yes an empty -mod= is allowed.

Edited by Terox

Hi guys,

this was my first try to start a dedicated ARMA Server of any kind, in this case for ARMA 3. I followed the Tutorials posted here and on Google.

Installed the Server via SteamCMD.

My start commandline, like posted in the tutorials more less:

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe -profiles=c:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master" -port 2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

I used mostly the basic VANILLA_Config.cfg file, with small changes to the Server name etc, the usual. The Serverfiles itself were correctly downloaded via Steam.

However, when I want to start the Server, a few seconds later I get the following Error:

Server Creation failed: 2302

Dedicated Host created.

BattlEye initialization failed

I forwarded all the necessary Ports, as posted in multiple Tutorials, for example here:

(Appearantely I cannot post any links here!)

My CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg (just so there is no confusion of what I might did wrong there) is:

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport =2300;

steamqueryport =2301;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "My Server"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = ""; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly

logFile = "A3Master.log";

verifySignatures = 2;

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={

"",

"",

"",

"__________ SYSTEM MESSAGES __________",

"Welcome to the my Server",

"IMPORTANT Verify Signatures is enabled",

"",

"TS3 Server: ",

"Web: ",

"__________ END OF MESSAGE __________"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers = 40; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

//voteMissionPlayers = 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 8; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

timeStampFormat = "short"; // Set the timestamp format used on each report line in server-side RPT file. Possible values are "none" (default),"short","full".

BattlEye = 1; // Server to use BattlEye system

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; //

onUserDisconnected = ""; //

doubleIdDetected = ""; //

//regularCheck = "{}"; // Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. Causes heavy I/O, uncomment to disable feature - READ WARNING ABOVE - makes cheating possible!

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions

{

class Mission1

{

template="co_xx_mymission.stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

};

kickDuplicate = 1;

equalModRequired = 0;

requiredSecureId = 2;

timeStampFormat = "short";

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; //"ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = "";

My Operating System on the Dedciated Machine is WINDOWS 2012 SERVER. Now please, i would appreciate if someone could tell me what I did wrong to get around this Error and can move on.

Really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Wolfseye

P.S: I cannot post links, I cannot edit my Profile, I cannot make a topic of my own. Why did I register here when I cannot do any of these things ? I activated my account, yet I cannot do anything I mentioned before.

Updated the first post to clarify the requirement to run the ArmA3server.exe under either the Administrator account or the "System" account.

This is a requirement by Battleye, failing to do so will cause a "Battleye Not initialised" error in your rpt

@Wolfseye. The B.I. forum setup requires a few posts from you before you have the ability to link to other posts, edit profiles etc

I hate to seem like a complete idiot, but I have read through the tutorial and searched all over the forums here.

Is this relevant to a rented server from a GSP such as gameservers or vilayer? What I have read leads me to believe that this is aimed at someone hosting from either a rented dedi server, or from their own PC at home. I would like to rent a server for starters just to get my feet wet with the ARMA games, as many of my clanmates and I really enjoy playing the wasteland mod.

Will I be able to run Wasteland, or other mods, on a rented server? Or will I need to get a dedi and install a new copy of ARMA 3 on that, as well as steam?

Really sorry if this is redundant or seems like I completely missed everything that was said, but the ARMA series is new to us all and it seems to have a much steeper learning curve than other games, and I dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something we won't be able to utilize in the way we want to.

The access you have on a rented server and what mods they will allow you to run on it would be down to the providers

They would most likely set all or most of this up for you.

This is a complete tutorial for a full install of ArmA onto a server and everything that is needed to get it set up and running. Eg as if you own the server, have installed the o/s and now want to get ArmA running on it

Edited by Terox

^ also some rented servers do not allow things like mySQLdatabase backend (needed for Life, DayZ, not sure about Wasteland...) or usage of @Arma2NET (requires files installed outside the game dir). If you are looking to run those games/mods you'll need a provider that supports it.

Not sure we would want a persistent server, but in the event it came to that could I use an off-site database? I have an sql server on my website host; would it be possible to redirect it to that? Apparently there are some versions of wasteland that support persistent bases and characters, but there's a mod that could be used (iniDB) that I already have on vilayer. Not ready to go that route yet, still trying to figure out how to tweak the mod to the settings we would like but it would be a good thing to know, I suppose.

Not sure we would want a persistent server, but in the event it came to that could I use an off-site database? I have an sql server on my website host; would it be possible to redirect it to that? Apparently there are some versions of wasteland that support persistent bases and characters, but there's a mod that could be used (iniDB) that I already have on vilayer. Not ready to go that route yet, still trying to figure out how to tweak the mod to the settings we would like but it would be a good thing to know, I suppose.

Depends on 2 things:

1. Whether you can upload DLL addons to your server

2. Whether external TCP connections are allowed

Both points are better negotiated with hoster in advance, to avoid nasty surprises

Hmmm, good point. Not really a key issue at this point, but gladly I am month-to-month right now, so if they don't allow it, could always move to a dedi box if it turns out we did need it after all.

Hey, I just set a test server, I have used some default BI mission to try the performance, and I didn't like the performance.. utilizing 2 out of 6 cores, such a waste of hardware.

Edited by Trec

Hey, I just set a test server, I have used some default BI mission to try the performance, and I didn't like the performance.. utilizing 2 out of 6 cores, such a waste of hardware.

There is currently a lot of work going on behind the scenes to improve this.

It's a lot better than it used to be but still has a long way to go before we see anything like the same performance we got with A2

Hello,

i guess i will sound like a complete Idiot now... Anyways, what do i need to do that my Server shows the loaded expansions in the serverlist. I run my Server with CBA, BWMod and TFAR but in the Ingame Serverlist it doesnt show the loaded expansions. :-(

You cant do anything, this is down to the Gamespy\Steam server browser

Currently the Steam Browser doesnt support it

Use the gamespy option for now

Thank you Terox! I guess i have switched to Steam server browser and cant remember. Its working now. =) But there is one thing left. Now it doesnt show the Players on the Server in the List.

There seems to be a problem with this guide, i have done everything exactly like in the guide ( apart from the install paths ofc ) and my shortcut does not want to load the server.cfg that i have added to the shortcut.

It keeps loading the default one with the default setting, i have tried using a 3rd party server tool like TADST however when i use that and i try to join with a other computer on the same network i am stuck on loading it, a problem i dont have with the default settings.

There seems to be a problem with this guide,

If you had followed it then you would have pastebinned some files and linked to them so that we could help you. :rolleyes:

I need at least the rpt of the desktop shortcut version.

The guide states to prove this before moving on, so TADST should never have come into it yet

At this stage you should have

• 1 install of arma3, whether that be the server package or the full install
  • A desktop shortcut for the arma3server.exe
  • No addons, custom missions or any 3rd party content in use

Edited by Terox

Did the update recently switch the default server stuff to steam instead of gamespy?

Where can I find the IP to switch to the steam stuff instead of gamespy when I launch my dedicated server?