terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Ive done the best i can searching the forums now im blind.

What i actually need a answer on is simple.

I have 1 copy of arma and 2 computers. Steam installed on them both.

Can i download ARMA 3 dedicated server on 1 computer and play with my client on the other.

Alternative use of STEAMCMD.

All my Concerta + thc for adhd is now long gone and im ready to give up.:yay:

You only need steam running for the dedi server install when you are patching it. Steam can be offline any other time.

If you use the same steam account for the dedi and the client, when you update the server, either by steam.cmd or the client gui, it will log you off on your client machine.

I was in the beta testing and was given a key by Dwarden for the dedi server pack install. I dont know if a key is required to run the dedi package now. I would assume it isnt, so the simplest solution would be to create a new steam account just for the server install. That's what I did and it makes things a lot simpler.

Hope that answers everything

Hey guys, I'm desperatly trying to set up a server on the same machine I'm running my client on.

I downloaded the seperate dedicated server package to make sure files don't interfere with each other.

I'm launching over a desktop shortcut as described, and I make sure that steam is closed when starting the server. But even with steam closed, my friend is not able to connect to the server, he keeps getting stucked at the "altis map loading screen" the whole time. When I start up steam I get stuck at the same time.

My firewall is disabled and the required ports are opened. I followed the provided manual but there's no chance of getting the server to work...

/edit: I'm running Windows 8.1

steps I have taken:

Trying to change ports

Thank you for your help in advance!

The A3 server only requires steam for updating

The A3 client requires the steam client running.

Try turning UAC off, start everything as admin

The server should be started first

Initially you don't want any maps in the Mpmission folder

You need to verify the server install by having your friend connect to it before you start adding any mpmissions, addons etc or try connecting via your client

As is always the case, we need to see your cfg files (hide the password), your startup params. rpt etc etc

post these in pastebin and link to them

Thank you very much, here are the files I edited:

Startup parameters:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 Server\arma3server.exe" -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg "-profiles=D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 Server" -port=6112 (When hosting a server via the ingame interface I use this port and it is working)

CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg:

http://pastebin.com/1tjxtYCJ

(I tried several ports for the steam ports part, but none of them is working, they are all opened - UDP)

.rpt from last run ( I guess)

http://pastebin.com/bT2s2KWK

I hope these are alle the informations you need, normally setting up a server works flawless on my machine, but this one really refuses to work...

copy the entire contents of the arm3 folder to a new location/folder, run the server from that location

Running the server and the client from the same location/directory is going to cause file access issues

I'm already running the client and the server from different locations, actually I'm using the dedicated server tool downloaded from steam :-/

Have you proven the server install accessability yet from your friends client ?

Did you clear all the missions out of the MpMissions folder on thes server?

According to the .rpt you pasted, your server is running default ports, eg you didnt define a -port=

I would suggest running a non standard port, eg 2402

When you friend has achieved connection to your server then try concentrating on your client install.

For example.

Try adding the following to the server config.

(Its for the headless client, which runs an arma3.exe, so its very similar to running your client on the same box as the server)

// Headless client settings

localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

and then for your client, in the startup params use

-connect=127.0.0.1 -port=(Whatever port you assigned the server with -port=****)

I don't know what caused my issue, but I tried launching the server with TADST and now it's working perfectly.

My friend couldn't connect either before using TADST, now we are both able to play missions!

Another question aside the original problem: I think it's not possible to save the progress achieved during a mission to shutdown the server and continue the next day for example (like it's possible when hosting via the ingame interface)?

I know about the persistence option, but in my understanding this is only working for a 24/7 server, am I right?

I'm using the dedicated server tool because it runs a little bit less laggy when playing Whole Lotta Altis...

Another question aside the original problem: I think it's not possible to save the progress achieved during a mission to shutdown the server and continue the next day for example (like it's possible when hosting via the ingame interface)?

I know about the persistence option, but in my understanding this is only working for a 24/7 server, am I right?

I dont know, we dont run missions that require it

I dont know, we dont run missions that require it

can anybody help Me via teamviwer I can not do this thx

can anybody help Me via teamviwer I can not do this thx

Try being A LOT more specific.

Cant do what?

is it possible to have more than 1 admin at a time on the server?

a friend made a arma 3 server and using the command #login, one of us is able to login as an admin but not both at the same time.

When i used to have a counter-strike server, i have a config.cfg file where i could add several admins on the server, is it possible to do so on arma 3 server?

is it possible to have more than 1 admin at a time on the server?

a friend made a arma 3 server and using the command #login, one of us is able to login as an admin but not both at the same time.

When i used to have a counter-strike server, i have a config.cfg file where i could add several admins on the server, is it possible to do so on arma 3 server?

This is not possible. You can only have one admin logged in at the same time.

It is possible for multiple admins to be logged in remotely via an RCON app. They can kick, ban, reload reassign etc from there without being in the game. The one I use is EPM RCON. There is a stickie for it in forum

Guys I'm having some problem, I followed the tutorial, all the steps.

Now if I launch the server with the shortcut it shows on the server browser but with the red circle, if I try to join I'm stuck at Stratis screen.

If I use the TADST, my server is green, but if I try to join I'm still stuck at the map screen.

This is the config:

http://pastebin.com/3wwA745t

This is the .rpt:

http://pastebin.com/dZ0CLmkD

Why is it running using C:\ when I'm on D:\ ?

It seems that using the Server Tools from Steam worked.

EDIT: Nope, can't have admin rights.

Edited by Antorugby

As for

I followed the tutorial, all the steps.
you cant have done, otherwise your steam would have been installed on your D:Drive not your C: drive

(Not that it should make any difference)

So what other steps did you not follow?

It does seem odd that the server.exe on your D: drive is being run yet the addons are being loaded from your steam\apps folder on your C drive

I've never come across this before nor heard anyone having the same issue.

Did you run a desktop shortcut to start the ArmA3 server up or did you use some other method, maybe the steam client?

A red dot on the server browser would indicate that you are either

a) running addons on your client that the server doesnt support

b) running a different client version of the game to the server.

We are talking dedicated server here, with your client being run from a different computer?

As for you cant have done, otherwise your steam would have been installed on your D:Drive not your C: drive

(Not that it should make any difference)

So what other steps did you not follow?

It does seem odd that the server.exe on your D: drive is being run yet the addons are being loaded from your steam\apps folder on your C drive

I've never come across this before nor heard anyone having the same issue.

Did you run a desktop shortcut to start the ArmA3 server up or did you use some other method, maybe the steam client?

A red dot on the server browser would indicate that you are either

a) running addons on your client that the server doesnt support

b) running a different client version of the game to the server.

This is a dedicated server isnt it ?

Wait a second, I can't run the server on the same computere where I'm running the game?

Oh my god, I'm so fucking stupid, I lost and afternoon, lmao.

Edited by Antorugby

You can run a client on the same machine as the server, however its more complicated. There are posts around that discuss this.

You can run a client on the same machine as the server, however its more complicated. There are posts around that discuss this.

But that doesn't explain why it keeps loading the stuff from C:\ right?

I installed everything from the first post in a second partition called D:\, that's wrong?

Change the server ports to something other than the default 2302 which the client is using eg use the example in the tutorial for the second server: udp port 2322

• 2320 UDP (steamport)
  • 2321 UDP (Steam query port)
  • 2322 UDP (used for game)
  • 2323 UDP (used for server reporting)
  • 2325 UDP (used for VoN transmissions)

Make sure you set the server steam ports as above. (I never checked what ports the clients used, so just to make sure they don't clash, use the ports listed above

Set the firewall rules accordingly

Start in the following order:

1) server via a desktop shortcut

2) client via a desktop shortcut

Hello i have small problem when i started: "ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd" it says to me: The volume does not contaion a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Your ArmA3 is now up to date.....

But in folder is nothing.. It is empty..Can someone help me please ??

Hello i have small problem when i started: "ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd" it says to me: The volume does not contaion a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Your ArmA3 is now up to date.....

But in folder is nothing.. It is empty..Can someone help me please ??

New one on me.

Sounds like either an

1) o/s issue

2) steam install issue

3) Syntax error somewhere

If you have edited the batch file, check for errors

If that doesnt solve the issue, re install Steam as per the tutorial instructions

Failing that, there may be something wrong with the o/s configuration or the hardrive is faulty

Edited by Terox

Can you do some video tutorial please ? Because im doing everything from tutorial.. and same thing..

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

I am idiot -_- It is ok now :D

How can i restart the server ? (17) Like where ? Thank You

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

Or, how can i change from DEV to normal version ? thx.

Login to the server using chat:

#login <password>

To restart:

#missions

Server FPS:

#monitor 3