terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

I glanced over the topic of hosting your missions at another source so as not to bleed bandwidth from the server it self when players are downloading it...but now i cant find it, anyone have the link ?

OK. So I can no longer even get into the lobby of my dedi. I had successfully reduced the mission list to one and was able to connect to the lobby but it no longer does. The server dialog hangs at reading from bank and then quickly assigns me and then disconnects me. This happen running the server manually and through TADST. Ive tried many different mission with the same result. I'm not sure where to turn. Any advice?

OK. So I can no longer even get into the lobby of my dedi. I had successfully reduced the mission list to one and was able to connect to the lobby but it no longer does. The server dialog hangs at reading from bank and then quickly assigns me and then disconnects me. This happen running the server manually and through TADST. Ive tried many different mission with the same result. I'm not sure where to turn. Any advice?

I know this may sound funny but make sure you are not on your own ban list...this happend to my friend who was helping me test missions...for some strange reason he wound up banned.

Edit: It's working now, not sure why but it just showed up in the server list and my friends have been able to connect. Maybe it just took a bit to propagate.

Hiya, I have set up a server on a Win7 machine and I can connect to it fine with localhost, but no one else can connect from outside my lan. I have opened ports from 2300-2305 as well as 27016 and 8766. I have no mods running and I have tried having an empty MPMissions folder with no luck. The insurgency.altis is the mission in the MPMissions right now. I am using the DEV branch and both server and client are the same version.

These are my config files:

StartServer.bat

arma3server.exe -world=empty -nosplash -config=server.cfg -port=2302

Server.cfg

//server Info

hostname = "Derringer";

password = "xxx";

passwordAdmin = "xxx";

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";

logFile = "A3Master.log";

verifySignatures = 0;

//STEAM Info Port

steamport = 8766;

steamqueryport = 27016;

//Message of the Day

motd[]=

{

"Holy Piss a Dedicated Server!",

"",

""};

motdInterval = 5;

// Server Param

maxPlayers = 5;

// VON

disableVoN = 1;

// Missions

class Missions

{

class Mission_1

{

template = "insurgency.altis";

difficulty = "regular";

};

};

Edited by Derringer
Update

I have another question, this is a new post as it's unrelated to the previous one.

Is there a way to save mission progress on a dedicated server? I am running Insurgency and if everyone disconnects and we connect again the progress is gone as it starts the mission again. I know that I can set it to be persistent, but for this mission that wouldn't work as the enemy can take back what you clear out. So eventually it would be just like restarting any way.

I don't see any admin commands to save it either. Is there a command or something I can add to the server.cfg to enable this?

I think I may have found an issue. After reseting everything I see that the Arma Server created the Arma3profile file and the Arma3.cfg files under different user profiles. One profile folder has the Arma3profile file (and a vars file) and the profile folder has the Arma.cfg file. Could this be an issue? If so, how do I tell the server which to use?

------------------------------------UPDATE----------------------------------------

Yes, I still cannot get onto my server since the update. However, if I turn "kickDuplicate" off in the config then I no longer get kicked off the connecting screen like usual. Now it will just hang at the ma screen indefinitely waiting to connect to the lobby. So maybe that has something to do with it. I really appreciate any help!

Edited by IconoclastDX

So I'm about to buy a dedicated box for Arma 3, i want to set it all up but i don't understand how to, i been reading this non stop trying to make it but im doing something wrong with the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file, keep trying to create it but nothing, i need some help on this please,

A bit more detail would be helpful. My updater.cmd file looks exactly like the sample file posted by the OP, save it contains my steam username proceeding 'SET STEAMLOGIN=". Since I wanted DEV the following line remains unchanged. If you set up new folders per the tutorial (ignoring the drive letter) then you should not have to change anything. It should go without saying bu make sure your file types are not hidden. If they are then you .cmd file will likely be a .cmd.txt file. My file is below incase having another example helps.

@echo off

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install

SET STEAMLOGIN=MySteamUsername

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development

:: For stable use 107410 -beta

:: For Dev use 107410 -beta development

:: Note, the missing quotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"

SET A3Path=C:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master

SET STEAMPATH=C:\Apps\Steam

:: _________________________________________________________

echo.

echo You are about to update ArmA3

echo Dir: %A3Path%

echo Branch: %A3BRANCH%

echo.

echo Key "ENTER" to proceed

pause

%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3Path% +"app_update %A3BRANCH%" validate +quit

echo .

echo Your ArmA3 is now up to date

echo key "ENTER" to exit

pause

Thats it. As long as you have steamcmd.exe in the location designated by "SET STEAMPATH=" and the destination path (eg. C:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master) actually exists then everything should be a go. All you have to do is dbl-clk the .cmd file and you are off to the races.

hello from Austria,

sorry to ask but how can i enable the steam workshop on a dedicated server? in CSGO you can use: +host_workshop_collection & +workshop_start_map

are there similar settings in Arma3 dedicated (Dev) ?

Hi Terrox, 2 questions

1. Wondering is any change in the A3BRANCH now that we are on a full release ?

2. Did you manage to get a way of keeping separate mpmissions using the -profile switch, or some other. (not interested in using separate builds or installs).

Cheers, and great work with this thread.

Thanks for the work with this! I can't believe that BIS made it take this much work to simply launch a server. No idea why they took this rocket ship backwards in time.

Hi Terrox, 2 questions

1. Wondering is any change in the A3BRANCH now that we are on a full release ?

2. Did you manage to get a way of keeping separate mpmissions using the -profile switch, or some other. (not interested in using separate builds or installs).

Cheers, and great work with this thread.

I have been away for a week and returned Friday. I have an auto updater cmd file that is run from Firedeamon every week day. On my return on Friday I was pleasantly surprised to see the server had updated from beta to release build. It is currently set to DEV branch, which as of right now is exactly the same build as the stable release from Thursday.

I suspect this will change tomorrow.

My intention at the moment is to run DEV build until they sort this horrible mess that occurs on large multiplayer coop maps on Altis and then switch to Stable build, when we have one :-)

As for MPMissions.

If you only have the 1 install, then there is no real practical solution for multiple MPMissions. Tyhe most you can do is create a simlink to perhaps a drop box.

There is a ticket raised for alternative ways of dealing with MPMissions, eg a nesting functionality requiring splitting MPMissions up into sub directories or other alternatives so you can filter out 3rd party addon requirement missions

Thanks for the work with this! I can't believe that BIS made it take this much work to simply launch a server. No idea why they took this rocket ship backwards in time.

Wait until you start trying to optimise your bandwidth settings, that is an entirely different animal. Its like trying to land a man on the moon when the only information NASA gives you is "That round thing up there is the moon"

Edited by Terox

Hi!

I am running the arma3 server via firedaemon. my question is, what is the correct syntax in the start parameters to run the server with addons like ace, acre etc.?

Greetings from Austria

bow

Hi!

I am running the arma3 server via firedaemon. my question is, what is the correct syntax in the start parameters to run the server with addons like ace, acre etc.?

Greetings from Austria

bow

-mod=@ACRE;@CBA;@mod1;@mod2

addons like ace for arma 3... :confused:

-mod=@ACRE;@CBA;@mod1;@mod2

addons like ace for arma 3... :confused:

ok, thanks. hope this works. it never worked in arma2, so i had to start the server via _runA2CO_beta.cmd which i would like to prevent ;)

ace for arma3 is coming or am i wrong?

firedaemon is a tool to start processes (like arma3server.exe) as service in windows. pretty useful ;)

firedaemon is a tool to start processes (like arma3server.exe) as service in windows. pretty useful ;)

You can start as a process Arma 3 restarter.exe and you got no problems.. I used to launch automatically arma3restarter.exe on startup and from march no problems, never crashed ( the restarter )

Firedeamon params field

Example

-port=2502 "-profiles=d:\Games\A3\A3ServerTest" -config=Config_@TEST.cfg -mod=@TEST

Note the only place quotation marks are used is the -profiles

great!:yay: it works

Edited by bow

Hi guys,

First of all, Great tutorial! I already had it running on my pc. Then i was running server and client at the same time. But the server kept crashing after 10 minutes or something like that (don't know why).

So i want to try running the server from my laptop. I finished al the steps and want to run the server but i get this message:

18:22:32 Dedicated host created.

18:22:37 BattlEye initialization failed

Do any of you guys know how to fix this. I checked my actions over and over but can't see if missed a step.

Sorry for my bad english. I hope you guys can help me.

PROBLEM SOLVED

it's working again! I had the parameters screwed up!

Edited by jefferonmouze

how can i config battleye for my (insurgency) server

be is on i think:

20:16:41 Dedicated host created.

20:16:45 16:57 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.175)

20:16:45 Host identity created.

20:16:57 Player xxxx connecting.

but i am unable to connect with battlewarden

server runs on 2302 port

be config file:

RConPassword mypassword

MaxPing 200

i am using server ip+port 2302 in battlewarden from external and local connection

Port2302

"Connection failed"

why?

Server seems to running. Port is open, and connection as player is also possible...

hello from Austria,

sorry to ask but how can i enable the steam workshop on a dedicated server? in CSGO you can use: +host_workshop_collection & +workshop_start_map

are there similar settings in Arma3 dedicated (Dev) ?

no one can answer this? i think you need it in the command line, to enable steam workshop or?