terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Hey folks,

I have a small issue with setting up my ArmA3 Dedicated server.

The problem is that the dedicated server does not get shown on the server list anymore.

Connecting via "Remote" with ip works fine and people can join and play that way.

The server showed up fine with all ports forwarded according to this thread's tutorial before but since the latest beta update it stopped being listed...

Any hints on what the issue might be ?

I am running the dedicated server without steam, could that be the issue ?

Thanks for a quick reply in advance...

You only need steam to update ArmA3 and you need to define steam ports in your Config_Vanilla.cfg, apart from that it isnt required while hosting

If this is an update for the beta from Alpha, (You didnt define what patch version, nor if DEV or BETA) then the .profiles have been renamed from arma3Alpha to arma3

Other than that, there have been no reports of issues following any patches afaik, so I can only assume you have changed something else configs/commandlines etc

whats the reporting IP?

If you still cant find the issue then best thing to do is pastebin link your

• command line
  • config_vanilla.cfg (Hide the passwords)

Edited by Terox

command line:

arma3server.exe -mod=@CBA_A3;@oot8d -port=2302 -config=server.cfg -world=empty

server.cfg:

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport =8766;

steamqueryport =27016;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "SPS ArmA 3 Action Wasteland Server"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

//password = "ServerAccessPassword"; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = "xxx"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly

logFile = "A3Master.log";

verifySignatures = 0;

//equalModRequired = 1; // require equal mod

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={

"",

"",

"",

"__________ SYSTEM MESSAGES __________",

"Welcome to the SPS ArmA 3 Server",

"",

"__________ END OF MESSAGE __________"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers = 64; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

//voteMissionPlayers = 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 8; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

Ports forwarded to the server machine:

2302, 2303, 2305, 8766, 27016

Okay well there is normally only 2 issues that is stopping you seeing the server in the server browser. I filtered for it and I couldn't see it

1) There is something wrong with a mission in your MpMissions folder

Before the server starts, it reads through all the missions. I suspect it only scans the description.ext, mission.sqm and maybe the init.,sqf. If there is a critical error, the server wont start

So check for .rpt errors especially related to the description.ext.

As a last resort backup the MpMissions folder and try starting the server with that folder empty

2) Secondly, the server.cfg isnt loading. Try defining the full patch. I dont see any errors in your server.cfg

Anyone got any ideas as to why this wont run on my Vmware windows server 2008 box?

Link

Any ideas would be appreciative.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this wont run on my Vmware windows server 2008 box?

Link

Any ideas would be appreciative.

Looks like a patch has renamed a classname again

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.

a3_air_f_heli_light_02

Need some advice on our Dedi server

If we run arma3.exe we can host a lot of servers and the ping is great and runs fine, However if we try and run arma3server.exe we get a ping of 2500 on each server on the list

Any idea why that would be ?

I suspect not everyone will see the server with a 2005 ping

try running your clients with UAC turned off, or alternatively run the steam client on your home pc's as admin.

There are also many posts on this subject and a ticket raised for it

Is all this shit need if If I've purchased a server from a hoster? Because thats what I need help with. And I keep getting pointed this dam thread.

Is all this shit need if If I've purchased a server from a hoster? Because thats what I need help with. And I keep getting pointed this dam thread.

Is there a specific question behind your rant that the first post in this thread hasn't explained ?

No its not needed:-

1, but it will probably will answer all your questions

2, who's pointing you here?- the server provider should be answering your questions?

Stupid question: Do I really need windows server 200x to run an arma3 server? Cant i just run it from Win7? I have little to no experience running game servers. I do have a minecraft server I run for my girls and their friends but that's it.

Need some advice on our Dedi server

If we run arma3.exe we can host a lot of servers and the ping is great and runs fine, However if we try and run arma3server.exe we get a ping of 2500 on each server on the list

Any idea why that would be ?

Is your server behind NAT?

Stupid question: Do I really need windows server 200x to run an arma3 server? Cant i just run it from Win7? I have little to no experience running game servers. I do have a minecraft server I run for my girls and their friends but that's it.

7 will work fine.

SO I believe I got the server up and running. I can see the server and join it but every mission every tried so far hangs on loading and I get kicked. Is this a likely issue with TADST, mission incompatability, or running a client and dedi on the same machine? Thanks for the help!

SO I believe I got the server up and running. I can see the server and join it but every mission every tried so far hangs on loading and I get kicked. Is this a likely issue with TADST, mission incompatability, or running a client and dedi on the same machine? Thanks for the help!

There has been a bug that appeared when they released the dev patch that added steam workshop. The bug has been reported but still not fixed, which is quite bad as its a critical bug.

Try removing all missions from the dedi MPMissions folder (Save them somewhere temporarily), leaving just 1 mission in that folder, then try loading that 1 mission after a restart

Bug appears to only allow loading of the 1st mission in MPMissions folder.

Once the server has been rebooted and that mission loaded, you may find that you can copy over more missions and they will load.

You will then have to repeat the steps after the next server restart

The main ticket for this issue is http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12524

Please get of yer butts and vote for it, its already high priority but needs fixing asap, its causing a hell of a lot of issues for those running DEV and it will get into the stable build unless they fix it

Edited by Terox

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get into the lobby following your suggestions but it still hung on creating the mission. I will try a few different missions and see if I can get one to work.

EDIT: And i gave that ticket an upvote ;)

Edited by IconoclastDX

From the Wiki:

"Headless Client

Need someone to add information to this section"

So far from my experience running two dedicated servers (two physical machines) , "Headless Client" means nothing more than a machine with no monitor, mouse or keyboard. I, as I am sure most everyone else running dedicated servers from home, am using remote desktop to configure and manage my servers.

Thank you and nice job on the Wiki by the way.

[edit]

Previously I have been running my server by just letting the standard steam client download and install everything for me, but decided to try out your method and I am hung up on #7.

I create the cmd file as directed and when I run it, the console doesn't do anything but spam the directory path of the cmd file.

Arma3_Steam_Updater.cmd
Code:
@echo off

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install

SET STEAMLOGIN=****** *******
   SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development
       :: For stable use 107410 -beta
       :: For Dev use 107410 -beta development
               :: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"

SET A3Path=C:\A3 Server\Games\ArmA3\A3Master
       SET STEAMPATH=C:\A3 Server\Apps\Steam

:: _________________________________________________________

echo.
echo     You are about to update ArmA3
echo        Dir: %A3Path%
echo        Branch: %A3BRANCH%
echo.
echo     Key "ENTER" yo procede
pause
%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3Path% +"app_update %A3BRANCH%" validate +quit
echo .
echo     Your ArmA3 is now up to date
echo     key "ENTER" to exit
pause

Edited by StankyKneePads

what is the stable A3BRANCH needed in the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file?

what is the stable A3BRANCH needed in the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file?

See the first post in this thread, all the info you need is there

I thought it would have been self explanatory......

:: For stable use 107410 -beta

:: For Dev use 107410 -beta development

which refers to the line of code

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development

hi all.

Inspirating by This thread and ta2ds program i'm currently creating C# application for administrate Dedicated server under windows environnement.

fsfserverA3.jpg

Currently, this program still in developpement and is in French Language (i work on a Multi language version)

Of course is still in developpement and this is a prerelease.

I give you the link for experimentation and feedback.

Dedicated thread on BOHEMIA Forum : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161899-FSF-SERVER-Administrate-Multi-dedicated-servers-under-Windows-Environnement

"FSF SERVER A3" INSTALLATION : http://www.clan-gign.net/FSFServerA3/index.htm

"FSF SERVER A3" SOURCE (gitHub) : https://github.com/ChristopheTdn/FSF-SERVER-ARMA3

"FSF SERVER A3" Issues : http://server.clan-fsf.fr:8008/redmine/projects/fsf-server-arma-3/wiki

Edited by GToF

Hi GToF

I am sure this will be welcomed by a lot of folks who run their own servers.

You might want to create a thread on this when it supports English. It will increase your feedback and the replies wont get lost in the content of this thread.

My little bit of feeback

If you havent, I would add a password and login so you can have different levels of login.

e.g.

1) Root admin (Access to all functionality)

2) Game admin (so they can start/stop the server and add or remove a password... but cannot change any of the important fields that can screw things up

Good work :-)

Edited by Terox

hi guys, i did a search but cannot find out what this means, i have just started installing the server and when i use the update.cmd it logs me in fine and starts the download but a second later i get

Error! app 107410 is 0x1 after update
and i am left with a bunch of PBO's and nothing else :( anyone know what this is?

SOLVED!

user error :o I made the RAM drive to small

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

BattlEye initialization failed

apparently there was a fix posted by some one over at the steam forum but BIS removed it :( every time i try to launch i get the BattlEye initialization failed error , i have the DLL;s and the folder , i am following this HOW-TO verbatim but am stumped at this point....solution?

UPDATE! I am not sure why but battleeye seems to have sorted itself out :)

Edited by ric

hi guys, i did a search but cannot find out what this means, i have just started installing the server and when i use the update.cmd it logs me in fine and starts the download but a second later i get and i am left with a bunch of PBO's and nothing else :( anyone know what this is?

SOLVED!

user error :o I made the RAM drive to small

Thanks for this bug report. I've seen a post about it somewhere else. I've updated the initial post and added this to the Known Issues section

once again i did a search and cannot find how to update my server....i ended up installing the whole thing using the steam updater cmd is there a quicker method?

update: oops...perception of time passage error.....The update was so big (2 gigs) i thought it was reinstalling the game :o

Edited by ric