terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

my main concern is you made this harder then what it really should of been.

Hi Terox,

I heard back from Vilayer support and they confirmed the processor is "Xeon 1235 v2". Do you know if these processors are ok to run run 2 ARMA 3 servers?

Also I have taken your suggestion and made the following changes to the max/min bandwidth.

MinBandwidth=65000000 ;

MaxBandwidth=94371840 ;

I wasn't sure how much I can bump up the minBandwidth to. Is this enough or should I bump it up more?

Also I have been also asked to add the following cpu count and ex threads parameters to the start-up parameters by Vilayer for both my servers.

cpuCount=32 -exThreads=0

Do you think this is necessary. I know when Alpha first came out it was suggested to add these in but your tutorial didn't have this information so I didn't set these up.

Thanks,

Hondo

as for bandwidth settings, there are many ways to find out your realistic bandwidth, google it

I would follow your host providers suggestions, after all its their servers

@echo off

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install

SET STEAMLOGIN=mylogin mypassword

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development

:: For stable use 107410 -beta

:: For Dev use 107410 -beta development

:: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"

SET A3Path=D:\Games\A3Master

SET STEAMPATH=D:\apps\Steam

:: _________________________________________________________

echo.

echo You are about to update ArmA3

echo Dir: %A3Path%

echo Branch: %A3BRANCH%

echo.

echo Key "ENTER" yo procede

pause

%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3Path% +"app_update %A3BRANCH%" validate +quit

echo .

echo Your ArmA3 is now up to date

echo key "ENTER" to exit

pause

Hi Terox thanks for all the help and everybody else.

Just wanted to clarify the path you have above is quoted to be as " SET A3Path=D:\Games\A3Master" But should that not read " SET A3Path=D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master"?

Also just wondering if anyone thinks this very old Pentium 4 CPU 2.Ghz 2GB Ram running Windows XP ver2002 ServPac 3 could have any chance to hold a couple of players?

Just a question on the beta, I changed my stean client back to normal, from Dev, it downloaded another 400Mb and seemed fine, so I copied that directory over the server directory.

Then I removed the "beta" part from my steam cmd line and updated same using steamcmd.

However the server still has [Dev] in the servername, is that supposed to be there?

Hi Terox thanks for all the help and everybody else.

Just wanted to clarify the path you have above is quoted to be as " SET A3Path=D:\Games\A3Master" But should that not read " SET A3Path=D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master"?

Also just wondering if anyone thinks this very old Pentium 4 CPU 2.Ghz 2GB Ram running Windows XP ver2002 ServPac 3 could have any chance to hold a couple of players?

You are correct m8, oversight on my part. I will amend the initial post

Can you also confirm that the stable branch still uses ............ 107410 -beta

(I only run DEV)

Report from our players now is that the server says its 0.71 but they only have 0.70?

Report from our players now is that the server says its 0.71 but they only have 0.70?

Your .rpt file states the version you are running.

This is the latest dev version

Type: Public Beta

Branch: Development

Version: 0.71.107070

:: For stable use 107410 -beta

:: For Dev use 107410 -beta development

if you are completely stuck

try 107410 by itself

or delete the a3 install files and re-download the lot

tried 107410 by itself, and copying the client (stable) files over, will go try 107410 -beta now.

Im having a problem with the server I set up, I can see it in the server browser but it has a ping of 2500. I am running the client on the same computer my server is on (Windows 8). Anyone else run into this problem? I have exceptions for like everything in windows firewall, ports forwarded on router, etc. When I join it just sits at the loading screen showing southern part of stratis.

Edit : Well I am a idiot...I didn't actually load a mission, so therefore it didn't load anything...put a mission inside mp folder and bam! I can load it hahaha. But its still showing up as 2500 ping for me on the public server browser...anyway to fix this? I have server.exe running as admin already so thats not it.

Edited by surrealalucard

Im having a problem with the server I set up, I can see it in the server browser but it has a ping of 2500. I am running the client on the same computer my server is on (Windows 8). Anyone else run into this problem? I have exceptions for like everything in windows firewall, ports forwarded on router, etc. When I join it just sits at the loading screen showing southern part of stratis.

Edit : Well I am a idiot...I didn't actually load a mission, so therefore it didn't load anything...put a mission inside mp folder and bam! I can load it hahaha. But its still showing up as 2500 ping for me on the public server browser...anyway to fix this? I have server.exe running as admin already so thats not it.

This is not likely to be a server issue, it is more likely your steam client IS NOT running as ADMINISTRATOR

In all cases like this you should first check if ALL other clients have the same issue, if they do its likely to be serverside. If only some of them have the issue or just one of them it points to a clientside issue

It is actually listed in the "Known Issues" section on the first post

Edited by Terox

This is not likely to be a server issue, it is more likely your steam client IS NOT running as ADMINISTRATOR

In all cases like this you should first check if ALL other clients have the same issue, if they do its likely to be serverside. If only some of them have the issue or just one of them it points to a clientside issue

It is actually listed in the "Known Issues" section on the first post

My steam.exe is also run as administrator and I was able to have one other guy check it out and he said the ping was also at 2500.

Try starting the server up with your steam client offline, then start the client up afterwards

failing that

Must be port forwarding issue?

steam ports defined in config,cfg?

Ports : 2300, 2301, 2302, 2303, 2305, 8766, 27016 are all open on my router,

and I have tried both 2300/2301 and 8766/27016 in my CONFIG_vanilla.cfg for setting the ports.

I tried turning my firewall off yesterday...let me turn that again.

Edit: that didn't do anything, although when I put my ip inside of the remote filter, it shows up as having 1ms ping (which would be correct)

Edited by surrealalucard

First off I want to say a massive thank you for this guide, it was really easy to follow, my dedicated server is now up and running... But with 2500 ping or so it says...

I have tried running the server normally and as administrator, however it always shows as 2500 ping on the server list for all those looking for a server to connect too.

If the people connecting run their steam as administrator it will show the correct ping (between 20 to 40 ping).

The issue here is most people don't normally run steam as administrator. So the majority of people will only ever see the server at 2500 ping.

The server is currently running at version 0.70. This is the same as those connecting. All ports open as described in the set up guide. Just don't understand why when people run steam as administrators it shows the correct ping...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Followed this guide to the letter, but for some reason could not get my server to read the server config. Every time I started the server up, it went to the default host name and settings. Incredibly frustrating. I found the dedicated server was much easier to set up with Arma 2. Hopefully Bohemia fixes some of these problems for the full launch.

Followed this guide to the letter, but for some reason could not get my server to read the server config. Every time I started the server up, it went to the default host name and settings. Incredibly frustrating. I found the dedicated server was much easier to set up with Arma 2. Hopefully Bohemia fixes some of these problems for the full launch.

can you post your command line and path to configs

How manyservers are you running (A2 as well as A3)

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

First off I want to say a massive thank you for this guide, it was really easy to follow, my dedicated server is now up and running... But with 2500 ping or so it says...

I have tried running the server normally and as administrator, however it always shows as 2500 ping on the server list for all those looking for a server to connect too.

If the people connecting run their steam as administrator it will show the correct ping (between 20 to 40 ping).

The issue here is most people don't normally run steam as administrator. So the majority of people will only ever see the server at 2500 ping.

The server is currently running at version 0.70. This is the same as those connecting. All ports open as described in the set up guide. Just don't understand why when people run steam as administrators it shows the correct ping...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Seems a lot of folks have this issue, although some of them state they are running steam as admin.

Ya might wanna raise a ticket on this.

Hi,

I'm wondering if options like:

"kickDuplicate = 1;" 
equalModRequired = 1;
requiredSecureId = 2;
timeStampFormat = "short";

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";					//
onUserDisconnected = "";				//
doubleIdDetected = "";					//

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// unsigned data detected
onHackedData = 	"kick (_this select 0)";	//"ban (_this select 0)";			// tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";

should be included in the server config or they are deprecated in arma3?

(i don't see them in your example conf)

equalmodrequired is outdated, all that does it check the names of the mod folders being loaded and makes sure its the same as the server. It doesnt check the content of the mod folders

As for the rest of it, yes it needs to be in the example, didn't realise it was missing, so thanks

Is the requiredSecureId = 2; fully operational now ?

Cheers for the reply Terox, there I an open ticket describing exactaly the issue I'm having.

Voted up.

Hey this problem has been solved, watch this...

what problem ?

I know this is probably something simple, but I can't figure it out. Every time I try to start the server I get the following error in the rpt log....

Error context kickDuplicate = 1;"

ErrorMessage: File CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg, line 55: '.': '"' encountered instead of '='

I removed the quotation marks from both sides of the "kickDuplicate = 1;" and now it starts. Was this the right thing to do?

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Sorry. This was what my config looked like

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport		=2300;
steamqueryport        	=2301;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname        	= "ArmA 3 Beta";        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
//password         	= "password";            		// Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin       = "password";                		// Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP         = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";            	// This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly
logFile            	= "A3Master.log";
verifySignatures     	= 2;

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={
   "",
   "",
   "",
   "__________     SYSTEM MESSAGES __________",
   "Welcome to My  Server",
   "IMPORTANT   Verify Signatures is enabled",
   "",
   "TS3 Server:     teamspeak.mydomain.com",
   "Web:            www.mywebsite.com",
   "TS3 Server:     teamspeak.zeus-community.net",
   "__________     END OF MESSAGE __________"
};
motdInterval 		= 5;            // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
maxPlayers		= 50;		// Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers	= 1;        	// Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold		= 0.33;     	// 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective
//voteMissionPlayers	= 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN		= 0;        	// If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality         = 8;        	// Quality from 1 to 10
persistent		= 1;        	// If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
         class Arma3
        {
             template="404Wasteland_ArmA3_TPG.Stratis";
             difficulty="Regular";
         };
};

"kickDuplicate = 1;" 
equalModRequired = 0;
requiredSecureId = 2;
timeStampFormat = "short";

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";					//
onUserDisconnected = "";				//
doubleIdDetected = "";					//

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// unsigned data detected
onHackedData = 	"kick (_this select 0)";	//"ban (_this select 0)";			// tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";

I know this is probably something simple, but I can't figure it out. Every time I try to start the server I get the following error in the rpt log....

Error context kickDuplicate = 1;"

ErrorMessage: File CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg, line 55: '.': '"' encountered instead of '='

I removed the quotation marks from both sides of the "kickDuplicate = 1;" and now it starts. Was this the right thing to do?

You are correct, it should not have any quotation marks wrapped around that line. Apolologies for the error in the config file you copied, this has been corrected for any future users

BATTLEYE IS HERE

Clients will most likely need to run their game as ADMIN

Battleye is an anti cheat application that has been implemented in previous B.I engine releases for several years now.

It will automatically install when you update to

• Type: Public Beta
  • Branch: Development
  • Version: 0.73.107769

To configure it you need to do 3 things.

1. Add a line to your server.cfg
  2. Add a BE.cfg file to your AtmA3\battleye folder
  3. Add your desired **filter**.txt file and edit them as you see fit

SERVER.cfg entry

Add the following line into your Config_Vanilla.cfg, or whatever you have named the .cfg where you define the admin and server login passwords

Battleye = 1; (Although apparently it works out of the box without defining this)

BE.cfg

This file should be created (using a text editor) and saved to your ArmA3\Battleye folder

Example

Rconpassword  123mypassword456

MaxPing 369 // maximal delay to server before BattlEye autokicks
MaxCreateVehiclePerInterval 72 1
MaxSetPosPerInterval 2 1
MaxSetDamagePerInterval 36 1
MaxAddBackpackCargoPerInterval 12 1
MaxAddMagazineCargoPerInterval 96 1
MaxAddWeaponCargoPerInterval 24 1
MaxDeleteVehiclePerInterval 48 1
MaxAttachToPerInterval 4 1

// above is in format of amount of entries (number) per timeinterval (seconds)
// in dependency on maxplayers and gametype you might need increase/decrease the values

Battleye Filters

In your ArmA3\Battleye folder create a series of .txt files (All are optional)

The most up to date list of .txt files can be found here https://github.com/DayZMod/Battleye-Filters

• addbackpackcargo.txt
  • addmagazinecargo.txt
  • addweaponcargo.txt
  • attachto.txt
  • createvehicle.txt
  • deleteVehicle.txt
  • mpeventhandler.txt
  • publicvariable.txt
  • publicvariableval.txt
  • publicvariablevar.txt
  • remotecontrol.txt
  • remoteexec.txt
  • selectplayer.txt
  • setdamage.txt
  • setpos.txt
  • setvariable.txt
  • setvariableval.txt
  • teamswitch.txt
  • waypointcondition.txt
  • waypointstatement.txt

As you will notice, each file (In most cases) refers to a scripting command

AFAIK, what happens is, BE scans incoming packets to the server. If a command is found it searches through the relevant "**scripting command**.txt" to see if the string in the packet matches any strings listed in that filename.

If a hit is found it then carries out the rule (1-7) defined for it.

The contents of the files listed in the link above are for A2 and dayZ, so some of the strings contained within the file are irrelevant to A3.

You will have to manually edit these as you see fit

In addition there is another .txt file called scripts.txt

This is for clientside checking and can contain any strings you want.

Any skilled parasite (I wont call them a h*c*er) can intercept the contents of this particular file, so it isn't very secure. It works well against the kids

Battleye Detection rules

1 - Log detections to "scripts.log"

2 - Log detections to server console

3 - Log detection to scripts.log & server console

4 - Kick for detections ("Script Restriction #X")

5 - Kick & log to scripts.log

6 - kick & log to scripts.log & server console

7 - Kick and log to everything

Useful links

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BattlEye

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins

Edited by Terox

Hey folks,

I have a small issue with setting up my ArmA3 Dedicated server.

The problem is that the dedicated server does not get shown on the server list anymore.

Connecting via "Remote" with ip works fine and people can join and play that way.

The server showed up fine with all ports forwarded according to this thread's tutorial before but since the latest beta update it stopped being listed...

Any hints on what the issue might be ?

I am running the dedicated server without steam, could that be the issue ?

Thanks for a quick reply in advance...