terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

We really need some tuto/information on how to set the good value on "basic.cfg" relating to bandwidth and stuff

Am I to understand that this thread is NOT for the arma3server.exe dedicated server ? And if not, then shouldn't the title be something more appropriate?

Am I to understand that this thread is NOT for the arma3server.exe dedicated server ? And if not, then shouldn't the title be something more appropriate?

First post, just under the contents listing states

This tutorial was originally intended for setting up a server using the client arma3.exe and -server command line paramneter.

Since then, the ArmA3server.exe has been released, the tutorial has now been reworked to reflect that and only appertains to the useage of the ArmA3server.exe

I dont have the rights to change the thread title, but I agree, it should be edited to "Tutorial: Dedicated Servers" or something similar

We really need some tuto/information on how to set the good value on "basic.cfg" relating to bandwidth and stuff

I agree, I was going to start another topic just about this at the weekend with the intention of gathering accurate infom and then changing thaT into a tutorial.

There is a lot of heresay and guesswork with the bandwidth setting estimations and the WIKI isnt very accurate

Hi, Terox - ever since the dedicated server file released, I'm having trouble running two servers through one master install - all being managed through TA2DST. Prior to the dedicated server update it was fine, but now when I turn the server online with a different port than the first the person connecting just hangs at THIS screen endlessly.

Through the server box I can see that the individual connecting, but never connected.

My main (working) server is running a command line of: -high -steamPort=8766 -steamQueryPort=27016

... and its playing on port 2302.

The other server (not allowing people to connect to) is running a command line of: -high -steamPort=8767 -steamQueryPort=27017

... and its playing on port 2303.

Any idea why this second server is allowing people to "connecting." but not "connected."?

Just a guess, but port 2303 is already in use by the first server, so they are conflicting. Try using 2312 instead, and leave 10 ports between any subsequent servers as well.

How would the first server be using 2303, when its defined as using 2302?

Edit: attempted that, and still a no-go. Same issue when port is 2312 and 2320.

Edited by SpectreRSG

My main (working) server is running a command line of: -high -steamPort=8766 -steamQueryPort=27016

... and its playing on port 2302.

The other server (not allowing people to connect to) is running a command line of: -high -steamPort=8767 -steamQueryPort=27017

... and its playing on port 2303.

Any idea why this second server is allowing people to "connecting." but not "connected."?

You need to re read the first post in this thread.

Defining the steam ports in the command line will not work, it needs to be defined in your ****.cfg (Example in first post CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg)

if you have defined -port=2302 for Server No.1, it will also use 2303 & 2305

(Port forwarding advice states leave at least 10 ports between virtual server installs)

So server No.2 should be at least port 2315, I would suggest 2322

Specifically check the section that details Port forwarding, how to run multiple servers and take a look at the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

and I have no idea what "-high" does, I have never seen that stated in any command line argument

After that, if you are still stuck please paste

1) Both your command line arguments

2) Both Your ***.cfg remembering to remove the passwords

Pastebin might be the best way

Edited by Terox

I read the initial post and the spacing of ports. I've attempted that and still hangs. For the record, I'm using TA2DST, so wouldn't editing the port through that do the job? From what I know, -high sets the server to run at a higher priority on the machine. That shouldn't have any being on the server startup as it works for the first server and prior to the dedicated server file it worked for both at the same time.

_high must be specific to TA2DST

After that, if you are still stuck please paste

1) Both your command line arguments

2) Both Your ***.cfg remembering to remove the passwords

Pastebin might be the best way

PM sent.
You need to re read the first post in this thread.

Defining the steam ports in the command line will not work, it needs to be defined in your ****.cfg (Example in first post CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg)

Specifically check the section that details Port forwarding, how to run multiple servers and take a look at the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

For the second time...........

1) Remove the lines in your command line that states the steam ports, these need to be defined in the ****.cfg, which in your case is your " TA2DST_config.cfg "

Steam ports configuration IS NOT a command line argument

Your Server No.2 is using the default steam ports. Your number 1 server I assume is also using these ports.

These ports need to be unique for each server instance

Your reporting IP should be "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com"; not arma2

Edited by Terox

And doing what you've been saying hasn't resolved it. I went into the TA2DST_config.cfg, manually added the steam ports as defined in your above mentioned example config, with the working server defined at:

steamport =2300;

steamqueryport =2301;

... and the not working, second server at 2320, and 2321, as mentioned in your post.

Still the second server is inoperative.

(I also manually edited the reporting IP since TA2DST doesnt have a drop down option for it)

Edit: went back in to the TA2DST_config.cfg for the inoperative server and all the manual changes I had done were overwritten and gone. Every time I launch the server, the config resets itself.

Edited by SpectreRSG

And doing what you've been saying hasn't resolved it. I went into the TA2DST_config.cfg, manually added the steam ports as defined in your above mentioned example config, with the working server defined at:

steamport =2300;

steamqueryport =2301;

... and the not working, second server at 2320, and 2321, as mentioned in your post.

Still the second server is inoperative.

(I also manually edited the reporting IP since TA2DST doesnt have a drop down option for it)

Edit: went back in to the TA2DST_config.cfg for the inoperative server and all the manual changes I had done were overwritten and gone. Every time I launch the server, the config resets itself.

Did you edit the ***.cfg when the server was down ?

This sounds like some sort of write permissions issue.

I don't use TADST so i cant offer you any help with it.

Make sure you are editing as Administrator

Yes its being edited in admin, and saves when I close the config file after editing, but upon ever launch of the server through TA2DST it seems to wipe the changes clear.

The config file even states

// Server Config Generated by Tophes Arma 2 Dedicated Server Tool

I re-read though all your posts.

I'm having trouble running two servers through one master install

Am I correct in assuming you are trying to run 2 x A3 servers from the same installation, eg same root directory ?

If this is the case, it will cause you problems.

There are 3 different methods for running multiple servers. If you have the space, use method 1 (see first post) which is basically a copy of the master install in a different directory

If this is not the case, you need help from a TADST mod or user

Yeah, it was the TA2DST. I hope its updated to A3. But regardless, I went back to manual shortcuts and configs and its all working. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help.

Sorry for not reading through the entire thread here but its too long...

I've finally got some time to get back into attempting to setup the steamcmd.exe for A3 dedicated server setup but am encountering an issue shown here...

---

You are about to update ArmA3

Dir: C:\Games\Arma3\16AA-1

Branch: 107410 -beta

Key "ENTER" yo procede

Press any key to continue . . .

Redirecting stderr to 'C:\Steam\logs\stderr.txt'

[ 0%] Checking for available updates...

[----] Verifying installation...

Steam_: BugslayerUtil.DLL not found

Steam Console Client © Valve Corporation

-- type 'quit' to exit --

Loading Steam3...OK.

Loading Steam2...OK.

Logging in user '<REMOVED>' to Steam Public...Success.

ERROR! Failed to install app '107410' (No subscription)

Your ArmA3 is now up to date

key "ENTER" to exit

---

I also get the same if I try to d/l the development version

---

You are about to update ArmA3

Dir: C:\Games\Arma3\16AA-1

Branch: 107410 -beta development

Key "ENTER" yo procede

Redirecting stderr to 'C:\Steam\logs\stderr.txt'

[ 0%] Checking for available updates...

[----] Verifying installation...

Steam_: BugslayerUtil.DLL not found

Steam Console Client © Valve Corporation

-- type 'quit' to exit --

Loading Steam3...OK.

Loading Steam2...OK.

Logging in user '<REMOVED>' to Steam Public...Success.

ERROR! Failed to install app '107410' (No subscription)

Your ArmA3 is now up to date

key "ENTER" to exit

---

Why am I getting the 'ERROR! Failed to install app '107410' (No subscription)' message appearing?

After following the instructions, rereading the instructions and checking my work I cannot get it to work properly. The server shows in the browser just fine and you can see the name, slots and ping but its status is "creating". Attempting to join the server just gets you looking at the main background image indefinitely. However, upon joining if I look at the server console it shows me as connecting but my client sees nothing.

The server is running the beta version and so is my client.

Command line:

C:\Games\a3\arma3server.exe "-profiles=C:\Games\a3" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

Config( I had to remove the MOTD section since I can't post links, yet)

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport        =2300;
steamqueryport        =2301;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname        = "My Server:    My Teamspeak address";        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
//password         = "ServerAccessPassword";            // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin         = "AdminPassword";                // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP         = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";            // This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly
logFile            = "A3Master.log";
verifySignatures     = 2;

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

// JOINING RULES
maxPlayers        = 40;        // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers    = 1;        // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold        = 0.33;        // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective
//voteMissionPlayers    = 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN        = 0;        // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality     = 8;        // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent        = 1;        // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
         class Mission1
        {
             template="co_xx_mymission.stratis";
             difficulty="Regular";
         };
};

Log is located here: pastebinDOTcom/n8nMa36M

of all the pages established in this thread, i can not find my answer, i dont know what is recent... so i will ask..

in order to run an arma3 dedicated server,

do you need a second copy of arma3, and a separate steam account?

of all the pages established in this thread, i can not find my answer, i dont know what is recent... so i will ask..

in order to run an arma3 dedicated server,

do you need a second copy of arma3, and a separate steam account?

Define arma3 dedicated server. Hosted Client(arma3.exe -server) or the real dedicated server (arma3server.exe) ?

Edited by tomturner

Define arma3 dedicated server. Hosted Client(arma3.exe -server) or the real dedicated server (arma3server.exe) ?

i would like to run a REAL dedicated server... with arma3server.exe

so, do you need a second copy of arma3, and a separate steam account?

i would like to run a REAL dedicated server... with arma3server.exe

so, do you need a second copy of arma3, and a separate steam account?

Nope. You can use your normal Steam account to install it using SteamCMD.

what should i do if i want to run a dedicated server with arma3server.exe, but on a separate computer?

am i able to login on a computer, run the arma3 deicated server, go into offline mode, and then log in on a different computer and play arma3, with the ability to connect to the computer running the dedicated server?