terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Why are you needing a reboot ?

The issue of steam and rebooting hasn't been raised before

Because windows sometimes decided It needs a reboot ;) and I wanted to have it 100% unattended. But I guess I'd just have to click the dialog for now.

Excuse me, but windows doesn't decided to reboot (unless you set it to do so), i don't even remember the last time i had to reboot my windows 2008 R2 server. I'm not saying it never happens, but there's certain issues that you cannot solve by the automatization... what if your PSU fails? Do you have a robot installing a new one? ... etc.

Edited by WalkerDown

"Windows deciding to reboot" = allowing auto updates blah blah ;)

PS: I have nano bots guarding my PDUs

HOW-TO: Run specified missions in -server

I got the information from someone on the ARMA 3 IRC. Works the same as in ArmA2OPAH: See here.

Add this to the end of your server config for each map you want in the rotation.

Tested and working on two servers.

class Missions
{
class InsertNameHere // name for the mission, can be anything
{
	template = "MissionNameAsListedInFolder";	// Insert mission name here as listed on /arma3/MPMissions/, omit the .pbo suffix
	difficulty = "regular";			// difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran & mercenary as specified in *.Arma2profile
               param1 = 2;  // dress
               param2 = 26; // age
               class Params
               {
                 Name = 2;
                 WorkPlace = 0;
                 Friend = 1;
               };
};
};

Edited by deltahawk5

"Windows deciding to reboot" = allowing auto updates blah blah ;)

PS: I have nano bots guarding my PDUs

Windows updates indeed... But I figured I could disable the auto reboot from that.

Note that I run my server from home (got 100/100 fiber) so a power failure (too much power tools is possible :) ) is a bit more common than in a data center

any word on how to get a headless client to connect to a passworded server.. I cannot get it to connect.. If the server has no password the HC connects fine.. If the server does have a password the HC cannot connect even if I have supplied the launch params with the correct password..??

Hi Guys,

Need some help with the map rotation. I have added few TDM maps to the server and added it to the .cfg file. So it looks like this.

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions

{

class WRECKED_TDM_EASTWOODS_DAY

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_EASTWOODS_DAY.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_WESTWOODS_DAY

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_WESTWOODS_DAY.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_WESTWOODS_NIGHT

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_WESTWOODS_NIGHT.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_CAMPMAXWELL_DAY

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_CAMPMAXWELL_DAY.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_SOUTHWOODS_Night

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_SOUTHWOODS_Night.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_AGIAMARINA_NIGHT

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_AGIAMARINA_NIGHT.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

class WRECKED_TDM_SOUTHWOODS_DAY

{

template="WRECKED_TDM_SOUTHWOODS_DAY.Stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

};

is it possible to have these maps to be automatic rotation. At the moment at beginning of each round players get pick map. If no admin is around i dont know who can pick it either.

Is there way to set the server to automatically just cycle through the maps?

Thanks,

Hondo

Is it possible and/or allowed to run the server from the Alpha Lite ver ?

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to adminstration of an ArmA server and didn't find anything on the web or this forum.

1. Trying to find a way to reduce lag on our server I stumbled across these settings:

serverLongitude=-115;
serverLatitude=36;
serverLongitudeAuto=-115;
serverLatitudeAuto=36;

Does this have any meaning? If so, what coordinates go into this setting? The location of the server?

2. Is there any chance of disabling squad AI on coop missions on startup serverside (so nobody has to click the button on mission start)?

Regards,

Polarfuchs

Is it possible and/or allowed to run the server from the Alpha Lite ver ?

Alpha Lite does not contain Multiplayer Features:rolleyes:

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to adminstration of an ArmA server and didn't find anything on the web or this forum.

1. Trying to find a way to reduce lag on our server I stumbled across these settings:

serverLongitude=-115;
serverLatitude=36;
serverLongitudeAuto=-115;
serverLatitudeAuto=36;

Does this have any meaning? If so, what coordinates go into this setting? The location of the server?

2. Is there any chance of disabling squad AI on coop missions on startup serverside (so nobody has to click the button on mission start)?

Regards,

Polarfuchs

Hi, the Lat/Long features are used for location based filtering of servers. Most times this auto values are good enough.

Disabling the AI in missions is done in the mission itself, but that also breaks JIP and group respawn I think. You did notice there is a button in the lobby "disable AI" for the admin on the server? That's a single button to disable them all.

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; is not work every mod can in server

Hi, the Lat/Long features are used for location based filtering of servers. Most times this auto values are good enough.

Disabling the AI in missions is done in the mission itself, but that also breaks JIP and group respawn I think. You did notice there is a button in the lobby "disable AI" for the admin on the server? That's a single button to disable them all.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I noted the button and agree that a click is very bearable burden. My thought was to autodisable serverside so that no admin would need to join the server after a restart to disable the AI.

Or can players do so as well?

Regards,

Polarfuchs

Ok, so I followed the directions here, and got up and running quite nicely. But the day after I got the server up (and running the client on the same computer), I got the "TraxusIV: Illegal copies may degrade" warning, and now I'm experiencing 'session lost' disconnections every few minutes, and massive desync for people connected to the server (never all of them at once, though, usually like 80% of the players). I got another "Illegal copies may degrade" message today. So is it possible that running client and server simultaneously may have triggered FADE? If so, is there any way to fix it?

Ok, so I followed the directions here, and got up and running quite nicely. But the day after I got the server up (and running the client on the same computer), I got the "TraxusIV: Illegal copies may degrade" warning, and now I'm experiencing 'session lost' disconnections every few minutes, and massive desync for people connected to the server (never all of them at once, though, usually like 80% of the players). I got another "Illegal copies may degrade" message today. So is it possible that running client and server simultaneously may have triggered FADE? If so, is there any way to fix it?

Are you sure the warning was for you and not a client that had connected ?

No, I am very much not sure. :) The wonkyness of the connection, the sudden massive desynching, etc, is what makes me suspicious, but no seagull yet, no noticeable degradation of accuracy. I went ahead and reinstalled the game, and the desynch and session lost issues are still happening.

I guess what I'm asking is, do we know if it's possible that fade may have been triggered by this, or should I chalk this up to my ISP quality being inconsistent?

I am not aware of anyone that is running a server getting a "Fade" message because of the set up as explained in the tutorial. So I suspect it is not your client and server mix that is causing the message. It is more likely another player is connecting that is using an invalid key or a duplicate key.

As for your ISP and quality of service, you haven't posted any specs about your server rig or the bandwidth available to it. How many players you are hosting for it ?

your configs etc

Without more detail we can't really advise you more.

I am not aware of anyone that is running a server getting a "Fade" message because of the set up as explained in the tutorial. So I suspect it is not your client and server mix that is causing the message. It is more likely another player is connecting that is using an invalid key or a duplicate key.

As for your ISP and quality of service, you haven't posted any specs about your server rig or the bandwidth available to it. How many players you are hosting for it ?

your configs etc

Without more detail we can't really advise you more.

It's a home rig, running on a late 2009 Mac Pro over my cable modem connection. Certainly not optimal either in hardware or connection, but it's been running well enough overall. The missions I've noticed the problem on have been both custom missions, and Escape from Stratis, so it's not just poor mission creation skills on my part.

If no one else has experienced this, then I'm inclined to think it's either the hardware, the connection, or the combination. The problem is not consistently there, so that would support it being the internet connection, with more trouble cropping up as the local area experiences higher traffic.

running on a late 2009 Mac Pro over my cable modem connection.

I'm not aware of anyone hosting with that o/s. Home cable connection has what bandwidth available too it ?

We are getting this issue with Steam:

http://gyazo.com/1b6e6576df00b5ff28f515ba60ca9356.png?1363984961 (283 kB)

This is a problem for me aswell, Offline mode is just not working. Even trying to force steam to start in offline, I still get the same message. And yes, I have done my homework with this.

The way I found it to work;

1, Turn off steam on the gaming PC

2, log in on steam on the server machine

3, start dedicated server

4, when you see that arma 3 is starting, log in on steam at the gaming PC

5, if steam on your gaming PC couldn't connect, stop the dedicated server and try step 3 and 4 again.

Done this a couple of times, seems to have no effect other than that steam on the server starts crying about no one being logged in, and I haven't encountered any problems so far, I and other can still connect to the server and play.

Edited by Empire1337
Typos

Fixed the above now..

Now we are getting this issue:

The server is defaulting to the server box name: WIN-etc etc

In other words, it's not picking up the config file for the server?

It's something that I had problem with aswell, went trough the steps in the guide about 3-4 times, then I noticed my config file for the dedicated wasn't picked up as a .cfg file, but rather as .cfg.txt.

Make sure your config file is ending with .cfg and not with .txt

Edited by Empire1337
typos, need sleep...