terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

You need to expand on "What the Hack did I wrong".

Are you seeing a console window ?

Are their any .rpt entries that look odd ?

did you forward your ports ?

"" It does not work"" type of statement does not really help anyone to help you.

Hey,

thanks for your Answer.

I see nothing, thats it. I've installed Arma 3 via Steam on the Root, editied the Shortcut and created a Server Config File.

I've taken Steam into Offline Mode. I try to start the Server via the arma3.exe Shortcut, and the only Thing that happens is a Steam Message that says

"You cant Play this Game in Offline Mode". No RPT, No Console Logfile, no PID File. Nothing, Steam is preventing to Start anything.

There are up to 4 Arma 2 Servers running on that Machine, so the Ports are forewarded anyways, plus i allowed the arma3.exe to communicate with the Internet.

Firewall is the same that we always do when we set up an Arma Server.

Thank you

Best Regards

Hey,

thanks for your Answer.

I see nothing, thats it. I've installed Arma 3 via Steam on the Root, editied the Shortcut and created a Server Config File.

I've taken Steam into Offline Mode. I try to start the Server via the arma3.exe Shortcut, and the only Thing that happens is a Steam Message that says

"You cant Play this Game in Offline Mode". No RPT, No Console Logfile, no PID File. Nothing, Steam is preventing to Start anything.

There are up to 4 Arma 2 Servers running on that Machine, so the Ports are forewarded anyways, plus i allowed the arma3.exe to communicate with the Internet.

Firewall is the same that we always do when we set up an Arma Server.

Thank you

Best Regards

1) The A3 server is using different ports to the A2 server isnt it

2) Try starting the A3 server in Online mode then after you see the console, switch steam to offline mode. (I think the server was in Online mode the first time I ran it. Since then steam has remained offline and doesnt cause any issues when restarting A3. Maybe that first instance when it runs, it needs to be online

You should only then need to place steam Online on the server to patch it, which is done automatically

If that solves it let me know and i'll update the 1st post to stop any further confusion

2) Try starting the A3 server in Online mode then after you see the console, switch steam to offline mode. (I think the server was in Online mode the first time I ran it. Since then steam has remained offline and doesnt cause any issues when restarting A3. Maybe that first instance when it runs, it needs to be online

You should only then need to place steam Online on the server to patch it, which is done automatically

If that solves it let me know and i'll update the 1st post to stop any further confusion

This is it, you have to run the first Time with Steam in Online Mode, after the first Start u can take Steam to offline.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Heady

Hey OP,

When you quoted in my bat files for firedeamon into your first post, it lost the actual bat file info.

Dedicated Server found via "INTERNET" for other players. I have to look for it via "LAN" because I guess both computers are behind a router.

Here's the issue I'm having. Even though I have the server configuration changed with a host name, the host name isn't displaying on the browser, it's displaying my computer name of the dedicated server as the host name.

Maybe the config file in the wrong folder? Where is it supposed to go?

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Dedicated Server found via "INTERNET" for other players. I have to look for it via "LAN" because I guess both computers are behind a router.

Here's the issue I'm having. Even though I have the server configuration changed with a host name, the host name isn't displaying on the browser, it's displaying my computer name of the dedicated server as the host name.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Fixed it. It was still A3TestServer.cfg.txt

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

I don't understand this messing about trying to get multiple servers running when there's a simple and easy method.

Just create a new text document in the Arma 3 directory (steamapps/common/Arma 3) called "steam_appid" put "107410" inside it, save it then enjoy running multiple instances.

Seems to work fine.

For anyone that needs simplier instructions,

Create a steam_appid.txt file in your arma 3 root folder

Put 107410 in it, and hit save

Paste/or create a new server config for each new server you want to run

Create a new shortcut of ArmA3.exe for each server, and point it to the individual configs.

I did exactly this and I still get the steam error message. Any ideas?

Windows Server 2008 - I get no error, able to startup

Windows Web Server 2008 - I get this error:

arma3.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point CreateDXGIFactory1 could not be located in the dynamic link library dxgi.dll.

Edited by ryandev00

Windows Server 2008 - I get no error, able to startup

Windows Web Server 2008 - I get this error:

I think that's something to do with monitor output

You are using the -server switch?

I have found a way to shut down the server when stopping the fireDaemon service.

Create a post-service action using the following:

Executable: C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe

Working Dir: C:\Windows\System32

Parameters: /fi "WindowTitle eq arma 3*"

Execution Time: 60000

Run Program: After Event

Run Detached: Not selected

You should be able to adjust the WindowTitle Parameter to shutdown only one server if you have multiple servers, as long as they are on different ports.

I have found a way to shut down the server when stopping the fireDaemon service.

Create a post-service action using the following:

Executable: C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe

Working Dir: C:\Windows\System32

Parameters: /fi "WindowTitle eq arma 3*"

Execution Time: 60000

Run Program: After Event

Run Detached: Not selected

You should be able to adjust the WindowTitle Parameter to shutdown only one server if you have multiple servers, as long as they are on different ports.

Or you could just create a bat file named ARMA3STOP.bat with the following:

@echo off

echo Shut-Down Operation

REM Kill ARMA3 if running

taskkill /f /IM arma3.exe

timeout /T 3

exit

I think that's something to do with monitor output

You are using the -server switch?

Yes, here's the commands I am running arma3.exe against:

arma3.exe -server -config=cfg\server.cfg -cfg=cfg\basic.cfg -port=2302

one issue im having is that Steam keeps asking for user input, so it will ask if I want to go online or start offline, then it will ask if I want to play Arma 3 or launch in a windowed mode. As I'd prefer to run the whole thing headless does anyone have any tips on how to suppress those dialogs?

one issue im having is that Steam keeps asking for user input, so it will ask if I want to go online or start offline, then it will ask if I want to play Arma 3 or launch in a windowed mode. As I'd prefer to run the whole thing headless does anyone have any tips on how to suppress those dialogs?

Are you running Steam under Admin/user that has administrative rights? Not 100% sure, but it sounds like a permissions issue if it keeps asking you over and over.

Update run with following command line:

-server -config=pathToConfig -nosound -nosplash -maxMem=2047

additional lines may also be relevant to you

-port=(AddPortNumber)

"-profiles=AddPathToProfile"

-cfg= PathToBasicConfig

Initial Post Updated to this point

Changelog Version 1.03

• Updated "How To" instructions, added initial start up to be in online mode and run as Administrator
  • Added additional commandline params
  • Added to troubleshooting: Known issues

If your issues have been resolved can you post the fix and the outcome please for others to see

Edited by Terox

Shamelessly bumping my post. Can someone please post their RPT output right after starting the server console?

I'm running it on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine, steam in offline mode.

Somehow my -server dies right after starting, while the game runs fine from steam

I see the server console window very briefly, and it then dies. The .rpt only put this:

=====================================================================
== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe
== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe"  -server -config=A3TestServer.cfg 

Exe timestamp: 2013/03/05 23:35:37
Current time:  2013/03/07 00:23:21

Type: Public Alpha
Branch: Stable
Version: 0.5.102571

Item STR_DISP_OPT_DISABLED listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST100 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST1000 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST200 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST500 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST2000 listed twice
Item str_disp_hintc_continue listed twice
Updating base class Default->GdtAsphalt, by a3\map_data\config.bin/CfgSurfaces/carpet/
Updating base class Default->GdtStratisDirt, by a3\map_data\config.bin/CfgSurfaces/mud/
Updating base class RscControlsGroup->RscControlsGroupNoScrollbars, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/controls/ModIcons/
Updating base class RscPicture->RscPictureKeepAspect, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/IconPicture/
Updating base class RscListBox->RscCombo, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayCustomizeController/Steepness/
PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
... PhysX3 SDK Init ended
String STR_DN_STONE not found

If I put a console logging file I see that it puts "Host Identity created", and then nothing more. Any ideas?

Shamelessly bumping my post. Can someone please post their RPT output right after starting the server console?

I'm running it on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine, steam in offline mode.

RPT

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe
== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe"  -server -profiles=d:\Games\ArmA3\A3_No1 -config=d:\Games\ArmA3\A3_No1\No1_Vanilla.cfg -nosound -nosplash -maxMem=2047 -port=3002 

Exe timestamp: 2013/03/05 21:54:04
Current time:  2013/03/11 14:05:52

Type: Public Alpha
Branch: Stable

Item STR_DISP_OPT_DISABLED listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST100 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST1000 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST200 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST500 listed twice
Item STR_WORD_DIST2000 listed twice
Item str_disp_hintc_continue listed twice
Updating base class Default->GdtAsphalt, by a3\map_data\config.bin/CfgSurfaces/carpet/
Updating base class Default->GdtStratisDirt, by a3\map_data\config.bin/CfgSurfaces/mud/
Updating base class RscControlsGroup->RscControlsGroupNoScrollbars, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/controls/ModIcons/
Updating base class RscPicture->RscPictureKeepAspect, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayMain/IconPicture/
Updating base class RscListBox->RscCombo, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscDisplayCustomizeController/Steepness/
PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
... PhysX3 SDK Init ended

If I run -netlog I get the following lines after the "Host identity created"

39.598: 14:13:04 Host identity created.
  55.331: Ch(0):st(BW:250,250,0,250,250,0,0,G:3,0/0,0,-1.00,0/0,0,-1.00,0,0,Q:0/0/0,R0.00-0.00,0-0,0-0)
  55.591: Ch(1):st(BW:250,250,0,250,250,0,0,G:3,0/0,0,-1.00,0/0,0,-1.00,0,0,Q:0/0/0,R0.00-0.00,0-0,0-0)
  71.356: Ch(0):st(BW:250,250,0,250,250,0,0,G:3,0/0,0,-1.00,0/0,0,-1.00,0,0,Q:0/0/0,R0.00-0.00,0-0,0-0)
  71.786: Ch(1):st(BW:250,250,0,250,250,0,0,G:3,0/0,0,-1.00,0/0,0,-1.00,0,0,Q:0/0/0,R0.00-0.00,0-0,0-0)

Edited by Terox

Thanks Terox.

Seems my RPT is the same, so unfortunately this doesn't help me in any way. No errors, no nothing, where do I continue now :eek:

Thanks Terox.

Seems my RPT is the same, so unfortunately this doesn't help me in any way. No errors, no nothing, where do I continue now :eek:

Obvious things which i'm sure you tried

is the A3 process still running or has that died too, not responding etc

Very first time you ran A3 on that machine did you do start up in online mode

Running as Admin?

No other steam clients running elsewhere

Windows fully updated, latest directX etc

tried -nosound, although I think it still loads the drivers anyway

Edited by Terox

Hi Terox,

New to dedicated servers, i just hired one and i am trying to install Arma 3. i would be grateful if you could give me your skype account no. mine is jc29169.

In the meantime i am crakcing on with your directions on how to set the dedi server up.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Regards

S&H John

Hi Terox,

New to dedicated servers, i just hired one and i am trying to install Arma 3. i would be grateful if you could give me your skype account no. mine is jc29169.

In the meantime i am crakcing on with your directions on how to set the dedi server up.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Regards

S&H John

Join the skype group m8, lots of folks to give advice on there, a lot of them are more technically adept than me

(See first post for instructions, you will need to PM Dwarden)

Anybody have any fixes for this dang Seagull bug yet?

New dev build

well actusally a roll back

seagull version was (0.5.102980 dev)

so at some point today we will get a fix

Edited by Terox

Obvious things which i'm sure you tried

is the A3 process still running or has that died too, not responding etc - It does not work after a reboot

Very first time you ran A3 on that machine did you do start up in online mode - Yes, and the game runs fine on this machine (it's my home PC)

Running as Admin? - Tried with and without

No other steam clients running elsewhere - Nope

Windows fully updated, latest directX etc - I think steam installed the DX version that came with A3

tried -nosound, although I think it still loads the drivers anyway - makes no difference

Yeah, I tried all that (answered behind your quote), I'm out of ideas. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. I might have to ask for some more official support on this.

any networking gurus know what the problem might be:

if i run a dedicated server off my home network, and try to connect from a computer on the same network, the connection fails

if i host the server on the same computer from a different network(neighbor's wifi, yes i have permission), i can connect from my network fine

at first i thought it was a problem with the ports, so i set the server to run with -port=2402, and i forwarded 2402-2405 in my router, but it didn't work.

any networking gurus know what the problem might be:

if i run a dedicated server off my home network, and try to connect from a computer on the same network, the connection fails

if i host the server on the same computer from a different network(neighbor's wifi, yes i have permission), i can connect from my network fine

at first i thought it was a problem with the ports, so i set the server to run with -port=2402, and i forwarded 2402-2405 in my router, but it didn't work.

You might want to forward more then just 2402 to 2405.

try a 10 point difference. 2402 to 2412.

Also is it just your server you fail to connect to or EVERY server?